Photo

Group 5 sportscars.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ianbeckett21

ianbeckett21

• 49 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 14:21

Another thread I would like to explore would be the Deutsche Rennsport Meisterscaft[DRM]. Are there any likeminded fans who think that some of the cars in those races were extemely spectacular? As a poor student I was only ever able to visit one race when they appeared at Donington in 1980 but nearly a quarter of a century later I still remember them. Were any of you lucky enough to see races on mainland Europe and if so do you have memories and photos to share?

Advertisement

#2 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 15:19

Yes, I've seen many of them. I've been to Zolder a few times, saw both Zandvoort races and went to Hockenheim. I saw the debut races for the Schnitzer Toyota and the Zakspeed Capri. The only win for the baby Porsche 935/2.0
Spectacular cars, but the races sometimes were not that spectacular. Zandvoort 1978 in heavy rain was very disappointing. But 1979 was a lot better, with Höttinger in the Jägermeister GS BMW turbo, under the bonnet the prototype of the future BMW formula 1 engine.
The trouble with the DRM was that in some years there was a dominance of one very fast car with a very fast driver, leaving little for the others. Like Ludwig in 1979 and 1981.
But many happy memories for me.

I will cover the DRM on my site in the future (from the group 2/4 era, 1972 and 1973 are covered so far), including a few pictures I made.

#3 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 15:23

Frank, what's delaying your top 10 drivers list?

#4 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 19:48

Thought you might enjoy this:

http://www.zandbak.net/

#5 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 10:51

:lol: I thought no one would care about the top-ten...
The thing is, there's so much work to do still. I have a list of my top-10, based on the ETCC drives - however, the scope of the site is becoming wider and wider. I have some pictures (kindly supplied by Udo K) but I should write a little bio too, and that's slowing doen the thing. Perhaps I'll keep it real short.
Thanks for the Zandbak link - I've googled it a week ago or so. I'll contact the site to use their pictures in the future - but currently, I'm stuck in 1974, DRM, GT, while Transam and IMSA are still only at 1972, and I've decided to add the Dutch TC championships to the site as well, which would include going backwards from 1974.
And I've got a of my own slides to scan; have 4 Gb of homologation papers to sort out; and 2 volumes of Time and Two Seats are waiting to be read.
Do you get the picture? ;)

#6 j-ickx-fan

j-ickx-fan

• 122 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 13:01

Originally posted by Frank de Jong
:lol: I thought no one would care about the top-ten...
The thing is, there's so much work to do still. I have a list of my top-10, based on the ETCC drives - however, the scope of the site is becoming wider and wider. I have some pictures (kindly supplied by Udo K) but I should write a little bio too, and that's slowing doen the thing. Perhaps I'll keep it real short.
Thanks for the Zandbak link - I've googled it a week ago or so. I'll contact the site to use their pictures in the future - but currently, I'm stuck in 1974, DRM, GT, while Transam and IMSA are still only at 1972, and I've decided to add the Dutch TC championships to the site as well, which would include going backwards from 1974.
And I've got a of my own slides to scan; have 4 Gb of homologation papers to sort out; and 2 volumes of Time and Two Seats are waiting to be read.
Do you get the picture? ;)

Aw... C'mon Frank, just try to organize yourself :rotfl:

Julien