Jim Clark under arrest!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,336 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 05:25

:confused:

I would like to find out the Story behind these 2 pics that are in a book the (Guinness guide to f1 ) by Jose Rosinski . The year is 1963 and on page 70 it has this picture of Jim in trouble with the Dutch police .
Page 68 says( At zandzoort he repeated the extraordinary performance he gave at SPA....)

Advertisement

#2 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 05:52

Hi there - pictures of this incident also appear in Graham Gauld's book withe the caption: "Though normally placid, there were times when Clark showed his border fighting spirit, such as at the Dutch GP in 1963 when he walked over to a corner to watch his colleagues practicising. A Dutch policeman did not recognize Clark and accused him of not carrying the correct pass. A scuffle followed and Clark was marched off only to be released after lengthy explanations".

#3 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,336 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 06:01

:wave:
Gee thanks for that quick reply..Ruairidh .. Now that mistery is solved ,i been wondering about it for years every time i have looked up that book. Dutch Police say no more :rolleyes: been there had that done to me 1978 ? not at the Track on the road. :mad:

#4 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,459 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 06:10

"I still chuckle when I remember the policeman who took exception to me watching the cars in practice. I wasn't doing any harm, and was surrounded by scores of Dutch trying to take pictures with all sorts of odd cameras. But he singled me out, and to cut a long story short, there was an 'international incident' in the pits until someone explained to the policeman that I was entitled to be where I was!" - Jim Clark, Jim Clark at the wheel.

According to Automobile-Year 1963-1964, Clark did not have the correct pass on him, hence the cop heavying him, apparently tearing his jacket and breaking his goggles in the process "despite his willingness to get the correct armband".

#5 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,336 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 08:05

;)
I Guess those dutch police were not F1 fans.Fancy treating our Scottish Hero like that.They were probably from the 2 wheel push bike force . :up: He should have got Chuckey Chapman ,he would have sorted them out quick smart.

#6 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,459 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:40

Originally posted by eldougo
;)
I Guess those dutch police were not F1 fans.Fancy treating our Scottish Hero like that.They were probably from the 2 wheel push bike force . :up: He should have got Chuckey Chapman ,he would have sorted them out quick smart.

Ah, well ... Chunky himself had a disagreement with the constabulary at the Dutch Grand Prix on another occasion ...

#7 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,336 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 21:17

:rotfl:
Why does that not surprise me? Chuckey was such a mild tempered person...(NOT) :rolleyes:

#8 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 22:04

Yep Chunky decked a copper didn't he. Lucky for him he wasn't in Victoria...

#9 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,336 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:20

:D
About a week ago Ray Bell called they...... ( Thicktorians) in some post love that saying. :up:

#10 Paul_H

Paul_H

• 19 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 13:06

I 'd remember that back in 1981 a Williams mechanic was arrested at Zandvoort. Maybe the same as reasons as by Jim Clark.

Those policemen were very good in arresting drivers and holding people back to prevent saving a drivers life (1973).

I got the same experience back in 1976 when a was a little boy climbing over the fence at Scheivlak sitting in the grass and soon got the company of a police dog...... :lol:

#11 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,336 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:44

Paul_H ......Quote.

I 'd remember that back in 1981 a Williams mechanic was arrested at Zandvoort.

What with these Dutch Police this list is getting longer ....... must be something in them there
sand hill. :rolleyes:

#12 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,459 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:08

Originally posted by eldougo
:D
About a week ago Ray Bell called they...... ( Thicktorians) in some post love that saying. :up:

Well there's a thing! I always thought it was Pricktorians. :cool: : :drunk:

#13 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,336 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 21:17

Originally posted by Vanwall

Well there's a thing! I always thought it was Pricktorians. :cool: : :drunk:

ANOTHER GOOD ONE I LIKE IT. :lol: