A present for Lautenschlager - 1908

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pavel Lifintsev

Pavel Lifintsev

• 143 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:00

Posted Image

Here is a photo (courtesy of DaimlerChrysler AG) showing three works Mercedes competed in the 1908 GP de l'A.C.F. The shot was presumably taken after the race. Left to right (driver / mechanic) : #2 – Pöge / Bott, #35 – Lautenschlager / Mäckle, #19 – Salzer / Stegmaier. Caption (in German) says: Meister Christian Lautenschlager dem überlegenen und glänzenden Sieger Grand Prix – Dieppe 1908. I translated this in the following way: To Christian Lautenschlager, an excellent and brilliant Grand Prix winner – Dieppe, 1908 (please correct me, if I am wrong). So this photo is nothing but present to Lautenschlager, and my question is: Who did it? Who were those people, that signed this photo – Weisweiller (correct?) and another one, whose signature is illegible. Some D.M.G. bosses? Thanks a lot in advance.

Advertisement

#2 robert dick

robert dick

• 936 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:45

Weisweiller = Edmond de Weisweiller = cousin of Mathilde de Rothschild, the wife of Henri de Rothschild (also known as race doctor "Dr. Pascal") - from 1906 Weisweiler was a manager of the French Mercedes agency.
Desjoyeaux = Léon Desjoyeaux, a friend and business partner of "Monsieur Mercedes" Emil Jellinek.
So both Desjoyeaux and Weisweiller were leading men in the French Mercedes marketing organisation. The photo was signed after Lautenschlager's victory in the 1908 GP de l'ACF/Dieppe.