Photo

A stupid idea (or two :-)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mattthecat

Mattthecat

• 105 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 00:10

Well, this may be nonsense (and it certainly would mean a lot of work for me) but maybe enough peeps are interested.

While thinking of scanning Paul Sheldon's Record books I am not sure what the Sheldon family would think about that.
Rob Sheldon's last post was three years ago, so I don't know if he still frequents this board.
But I am sure someone still has contact with them.
If I do (and am allowed to) go forward with this enterprise I hope someone will scan those issues that I don't possess (and are out-of-print to some degree).
As well as the Floyd Clymer yearbooks ...hint, hint....*bg*
All I can offer there is the 1987 Indy yearbook :-(
But I would go ahead even if nobody does.
But only if there is interest in this of course. If not I can spare myself the trouble. Lol

So as soon as I get an okay (and enough interest shown) I will go ahead (which will take some time as the books have about 300 pages each...)
I have scanned a few samples, about original size.
http://racing.angelc...com/sheldon.htm
In case the traffic is making this one temporarirly unavailable try this (but only then please)
http://www.geocities...nno/sheldon.htm

Oh btw I could provide the following issues:
A Record of GP and Voiturette Racing 1950-1953
A Record of GP and Voiturette Racing 1954-1959
A Record of GP and Voiturette Racing 1960-1964
Formula One Register Record Book 1966
Formula 1 and 2 Fact Book 1976-1978
Formula 1 and 2 Fact Book 1979-1981
Formula 1 and 2 Fact Book 1982-1984
Formula 1 and 2 Fact Book 1985-1987

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The other question: Does anyone know of an existing (and "working") motorsports binary newsgroup?
Or is there any interest in creating something like alt.binaries.atlas.tnf?
In a newsgroup like that it would be possible to share larger files (like videos, larger pics, or something like my encyclopedia. lol)

Advertisement

#2 Phil Harms

Phil Harms

• 76 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:53

Originally posted by Mattthecat
Well, this may be nonsense (and it certainly would mean a lot of work for me) but maybe enough peeps are interested.

While thinking of scanning Paul Sheldon's Record books I am not sure what the Sheldon family would think about that.
Rob Sheldon's last post was three years ago, so I don't know if he still frequents this board.
But I am sure someone still has contact with them.
If I do (and am allowed to) go forward with this enterprise I hope someone will scan those issues that I don't possess (and are out-of-print to some degree).
As well as the Floyd Clymer yearbooks ...hint, hint....*bg*
All I can offer there is the 1987 Indy yearbook :-(
But I would go ahead even if nobody does.
But only if there is interest in this of course. If not I can spare myself the trouble. Lol

So as soon as I get an okay (and enough interest shown) I will go ahead (which will take some time as the books have about 300 pages each...)
I have scanned a few samples, about original size.
http://racing.angelc...com/sheldon.htm
In case the traffic is making this one temporarirly unavailable try this (but only then please)
http://www.geocities...nno/sheldon.htm

Oh btw I could provide the following issues:
A Record of GP and Voiturette Racing 1950-1953
A Record of GP and Voiturette Racing 1954-1959
A Record of GP and Voiturette Racing 1960-1964
Formula One Register Record Book 1966
Formula 1 and 2 Fact Book 1976-1978
Formula 1 and 2 Fact Book 1979-1981
Formula 1 and 2 Fact Book 1982-1984
Formula 1 and 2 Fact Book 1985-1987

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The other question: Does anyone know of an existing (and "working") motorsports binary newsgroup?
Or is there any interest in creating something like alt.binaries.atlas.tnf?
In a newsgroup like that it would be possible to share larger files (like videos, larger pics, or something like my encyclopedia. lol)

The Sheldon series carry copyrights which would preclude doing what you want to do. Aside from the legalities of such a task I think you would find the ethics of your question contrary to the intent and spirit of this forum. I would suggest that you re-phrase your query as a research effort, considering that the internet is a rich source of such material. Except for maybe Volume 7, most can be found at used-book sites with diligent searching.

As for Clymer books, most are easily obtained via ebay.

#3 Mattthecat

Mattthecat

• 105 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:16

I am quite aware of the legality question. That is why I would not proceed with the scanning WITHOUT the consent of Sheldon and Rabagliati as I have stressed above.

Why such an effort (the above question aside) would undermine the spirit of this board is not quite clear to me though.

Aside from the fact that such an effort would reach a very limited audience the availbility of these books is rather questionable, and whether you want to support ebay or not is another matter. Not everyone has the resources to aquire these books in addition.

The internet certainly is a wealth of information but not always.
If I would go through with this it would mean a shitload of work which I am not looking forward to. And if the objections on this board are stated then forget the thread. I didn't call it "a stupid idea" for nothing :-)