Photo

Motorcycle racing; 1969-1990 nostalgia 1

• Please log in to reply
15100 replies to this topic

#951 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:02

Sorry Andrew , I am not as good as I thought! Which is what from your 4 pics???? Bjørn

Advertisement

#952 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:16

Well, let's see : the first pic is the two Hondas , the second one is a british single in a Seeley frame, the 3rd one is an MZ....so I guess the "Tohatsu" T54 refers to is the last bike.....I was really wondering what strange two-stroke twin that was but didn't feel like showing my ignorance by asking :blush: ....the cranckase looks very "homebuilt" in some way , like if it was not cast metal,but ....well..."homebuilt" !

#953 PaulMB

PaulMB

• 432 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:09

I guess the Seeley is probaly Derek Minters mount as he usually rode number 11 at Brands.

Paul

#954 Greystone

Greystone

• 124 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 14:53

Sorry for the lack of a reply, I haven't had the time to visit the thread for a couple of days.

Originally posted by PaulMB
I guess the Seeley is probaly Derek Minters mount as he usually rode number 11 at Brands.

PaulMB

Paul,

I agree that the Seeley would have been ridden by Derek Minter. IIRC Minter spent a short period as the Seeley "works" rider but the results were not what either party had hoped. I also seem to remember that Minter returned to his Norton's after a short while.

Does anyone else here remember Minter's last race meeting at Brands Hatch? I was there but it is all a bit hazy now. I seem to remember him winning the 500 and unlimited races that day (and probably others as well). I think that he rode a Norton twin in the unlimited race - Bob Curtiss's Domiracer rings a bell. Can anyone else throw any light on this?

Originally posted by T54
Andrew,
Indeed the unmolested CR110 and CR93 look superb!

Your picture of the 125cc Tohatsu is great. Dave Simmonds bike before the Kawasaki days...
Thanks!

T54

Thanks T54.

I must be honest I did not know that it was a Tohatsu.

The way that Dave Simmonds subsequently lost his life was such a tragedy. Do you think that he would have gone on to greater achievements?

Andrew

#955 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 15:08

Seeing those pictures of Brands, a friend of mine remembers (?) Paddy Driver having a converted Jaguar 2.4/3.4 as a transporter for his bikes. Or is memory playing tricks

#956 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 15:20

Hi all , thanks for pics , Philippe for info , and Bernard for the question .

#957 T54

T54

• 2,479 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 15:13

The way that Dave Simmonds subsequently lost his life was such a tragedy. Do you think that he would have gone on to greater achievements?

The fact that he switched quite sucessfully from a 50cc Tohatsu single to a twin, then to the 125 Tohatsu, then to the Kawasaki with which he won the title, to the A7R 250 Kawasaki then to the A1R 500c with ease shows the mark of a champion, so I am convinced that this would have been the truth.
Dying in such weird circumstances is so sad when one thinks of the possible achievements. :(

#958 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:45

:( Still not much responce to my wishes of paddock or transporter pictures...............................
I try for another....can anyone give me some tips as where to look/search ????
Have tried but not much succes. There must be some sites.....eh???
Kind regards Bjørn :)

#959 pppdrive

pppdrive

• 61 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 17:14

Hi to all,

New member Paul here and I'm interested in anything Gilera especially the golden 50's when the 4 cylinders were at their best.
I do have a few pictures of Gilera riders that I require help in identifying, can I show them here and hope someone can help me?
Thanks,
Paul Tipler
Weston super Mare UK
www.igottagilera.co.uk

Advertisement

#960 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 19:32

:wave: Hello Paul ,how about a 1958 Gilera transporter?

#961 pppdrive

pppdrive

• 61 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:46

Hi Bjorn,

Yes please, anything Gilera helps to build a bigger picture.
My email is gilera@igottagilera.co.uk
Thanks,
Paul

#962 pppdrive

pppdrive

• 61 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:09

Bjorn,

It's not a lot, but I've found a few pictures for you on the following sites:

Jack Findlay
http://www.mateology...ers/Artist.html

Kawasaki
http://www.kawasaki..../team_green.asp

Red Bull Racing
http://www.sportnetw...111/st94862.htm

Various
http://www.bikesonly...au/services.php

I also have one picture of the side of the Gilera transporter in 1955, let me know an email address and I'll send it to you.

All the best,
Paul
www.igottagilera.co.uk

#963 pppdrive

pppdrive

• 61 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 22:34

I have noticed that you have asked a few times for your own area for your Racing Nostalgia, but do not seem to have received an answer.

I have created a space for Racing Nostalgia on http://igottagilera....k/forum/Blah.pl?
This is NOT restricted to just Gilera, but is completely open.

My apologies to the current provider if this is not the "politically correct" way of doing things, but I felt as they are car oriented, they may even be pleased that space has been provided elsewhere.

If you wish to use the new Forum, please feel free to do so.

Paul

#964 Macca

Macca

• 3,321 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 19:10

Here are a few from the Festival of Speed:

Posted Image Elf3 ridden by Ron Haslam

Posted Image Gilera 500 signed by Geoff Duke

Posted Image James Ellison on 1980 Yamaha YZR500 OW48

Posted Image Chris Walker on 1977 Kawasaki KR750

Posted Image Troy Bayliss' WSB Ducati uncovered

Posted Image close-up of the lower part of the Ducati Desmosedici 2-seater

Paul M

#965 subh

subh

• 1,021 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 22:41

Great stuff, Paul.

Can anyone help me out with a picture of a road version Velocette KSS 350, c.1932? Thanks.

#966 Tom Thomas

Tom Thomas

• 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 22:53

Originally posted by T54
I do not but may be we should create one within the Nostalgia Forum?

Would there be room for Speedway (Europe and U.S.)?

#967 pppdrive

pppdrive

• 61 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 14:34

Replies to the two items above

You will find pictures on:
http://www.vintagebi.....kes Index.htm

www.schweighofer-zoehrer.at

A Speedway Forum will be added some time tonight.

Paul

#968 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 14:33

Originally posted by Bernard
Phillipe,
This is interesting

http://64.233.183.10...al Circus (1969)&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8

this is weird,i found this site by mistake today and after reading all the entries i found this one.
if you look down the list of replies i am*renzo*!
anyway i have registered and will try to be a good member as i have loads of stories etc.
having started racing in 1967 on a greeves i then got a vic camp 250 ducati,in 1968 i won the heat and final of the lord of lydden meeting and went on to race in seven mgp's.
i retired in 77 but went back racing a classic 350 honda in 92 at the age of 48,and won my first race at brands hatch 15 years since i had been there.
if as i suspect there are a lot of old fart ex racers here then this will be fun

dennis(renzo)rapley

#969 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:09

oops sorry the link dosent work! but it was from the isle of man forum and we were talking about trying to find a copy of*continental circus*but that was last year.

#970 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:34

http://video.google....360&q=honda six[/URL]

volume up for this ! :up:

#971 Greystone

Greystone

• 124 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 13:24

Originally posted by renzo

this is weird,i found this site by mistake today and after reading all the entries i found this one.
if you look down the list of replies i am*renzo*!
anyway i have registered and will try to be a good member as i have loads of stories etc.
having started racing in 1967 on a greeves i then got a vic camp 250 ducati,in 1968 i won the heat and final of the lord of lydden meeting and went on to race in seven mgp's.
i retired in 77 but went back racing a classic 350 honda in 92 at the age of 48,and won my first race at brands hatch 15 years since i had been there.
if as i suspect there are a lot of old fart ex racers here then this will be fun

dennis(renzo)rapley

Welcome renzo.

I remember you racing the Ducati at Brands Hatch and Lydden in the sixties and seventies. I was not a racer at that time (although I now do a little saloon car racing) but was heavily involved in helping a friend of mine, Peter Bowers, who raced a Greeves, a Bultaco, his own Yamahas and then rode for Premier Motors of Forest Hill. Peter is sadly no longer with us, having passed away in 2003.

Do you remember Peter?

Other racers in our "crowd" from that period that you may remember were Trevor Elliott, Chris McGahan, John Norris and Mike Shoesmith.

Andrew

#972 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 17:07

hi and thanks for the welcome.
and yes i certainly do remember peter and all those other lads,in fact i ended up racing against some of them again in 1992 when i went back to racing a 350 honda in the classics,i even beat dave degens a couple of times! and he was on his 500 tritonsomething i would never have thought possible in the old days.i also rode against *nozzer* norris as well .
i packed it in again in 1995 after a bad crash at snetterton,broken c/bone and schaphoid etc,but i enjoyed every moment of it.
any photos of those days?
regards
dennis

#973 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 19:13

i had a thought the other day.is rob frost of supersport fame maybe *nev frosts son?*hmmm.

#974 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 21:58

:lol: Wow Renzo , just heard "my" HONDA 6 , what a great sound.....I was at the Ulster TT in 1966 ,the 5 cyl. 125 Hondas was also there......the MotoGP sound of today is NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

#975 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 22:05

eh? sorry i cant hear you! speak up!.

just joking,did you find the other ones? :up:

#976 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 00:04

:clap: Yep!!!! :up:

#977 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 23:07

manx grand prix time in a couple of weeks!
(renzo looks wistfully at his trophy cabinet,and wishes he was younger and not so ill) sigh... :cry:

#978 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 21:01

come on fellas dont let this forum die,i just found it! :cry:

#979 subh

subh

• 1,021 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 21:17

OK, well let’s have everyone recounting their favourite motorcycle racing memories. Who was on the Island for Mike Hailwood’s 1978-79 comeback races?

Advertisement

#980 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 00:56

in my last mgp in 1977 he was allowed to join us in practice ,so there was me on my 250 yamaha
actually going out on the tt circuit with the great mh!,i remember him passing me as iff i was standing still.
i remember also noticing the terrible limp he had.a legacy of his bad car racing crash.
i still curse that damn lorry driver to this day.
rip mike and michelle.

#981 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:05

ok another little anecdote,in 1969 i had a bad crash at brands,ended up in queen marys hostpital in sidcup,anyway i had a broken ankle ,pelvis,vertebrare,etc,i was in about three weeks if i remember right,one day i got a letter i opened it and it was from mrs nell ivy! yes bills mum,she had read about my crash in mcm,it was a lovely letter asking if i was ok and if she could do anything for me,remember this was only a few months after bills death.such a nice lady sadly no longer with us.
i still have the two letters she wrote to me and also one of bills memorial cards,wich i will quote

his life was full and long and gay.
he tried no man no ill to do.
his last ride went so very fast.
to end dear god.
the race to you.

this is my most treasured possesion.

#982 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,269 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 14:26

I went to every car and motorcycle race for the first three years at Lydden. At the opening race day Derek Minter rode a Norton around the circuit to celebrate the beginning of the new circuit. My greatest memories are of American Lance Weil on a beautiful Harley Davidson racing against Charlie Sanby. The flamboyant American often needed a push start from the back of the grid owing to assorted racing injuries, and often overtook Sanby on the final corner of the last lap to win. Weil had long hair, multi-coloured leather and a stars and striped 'jet' helmet, very different from the British riders at the time. Great times.

#983 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 16:27

yup i remember my first race there was in 67,they had not finished the*hairy hill* hairpin extension ,i was on my old greeves silverstone,lance was a good rider on that beast.
good memories from that era.

#984 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:33

While we are in this era does anyone remember a m/c race meeting at RAF Biggin Hill I have a vague memory of attending and I can remember Ned Minihan won on a G50 I believe

#985 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 14:49

i do remember they had some meetings there,tho i never rode in one,must be some info and photos around somewhere.

#986 ozebook

ozebook

• 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:57

Pat Evans photo tribute gallery - hi a link to some great photos of the late Pat Evans can be found here under the Motorcycle Racing Nostalgia thread....

www.ozebook.com/forums/index.php

Posted Image

Shame more tributes to pat cannot be found on the net.

Muzza

#987 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,269 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:44

I'm interested to hear more about motorcycle entrant Tom Kirby whose immaculately prepared light blue and red bikes were around in the 60s and ridden by riders like Bill Ivy and Paddy Driver. I seem to recall he had a motorcycle shop in Hornchurch, Essex. I wonder if any of his machines survive, how long he remained supplying bikes and what became of him.

#988 Ninja2b

Ninja2b

• 628 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 14:08

Hey guys, its been a while since I was on TNF.... I just found this thread and scanned over a lot of it, there is a lot of good info here and some great contributors.

I asked this in the RC forum MotoGP / Bike thread but think I might get more of a response here. Greystone mentioned in a post about Joey Dunlop being a great champion for various reasons. As I said over there, I'm from Northern Ireland so obviously Joey is hugely famous and popular here. I also have the privelege of working with (and even went out for a ride with) Joeys hero - Ray McCullough.

But my question is about how the world outside Northern Ireland remembers Joey. I have no idea if he is famous worldwide at all, how much is known about him etc. etc. So if anyone could share their thoughts I would be most appreciative!

#989 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 19:25

*uncle tom*took many riders under his wing,i believe bill ivy won the king of brands title on one of his g50's,i have seen a video of tom kissing billy as he came in after the race.
i believe he passed away some time ago.

#990 S Evans

S Evans

• 80 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:09

Thanks Muzza. Another pic of Pat 1972 or 73... Sean [IMG]http://img227.images...cyam2th3.th.jpg [/IMG]

#991 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:03

I'm just back from two weeks away from the internet and it's nice to see some new interest in this thread. Welcome to you, renzo, ninja2b and others, let's keep the old stories coming !

And thanks to Muzza from down under ( who I guess is a different Muzza to the one who manages the Motorsport Memorial website ) for hosting this tribute to Pat Evans.

Sean, I never was aware that your brother was at some time racing under the famous yellow and black Yamaha International colours, judging by the paint scheme of his bike those pictures must indeed have been taken around 1972/1973, at the time when Kel Carruthers, Kenny Roberts and Gary Fisher were in the main road racing team . Was Pat in some sort of "junior" team at the time ? He does look very young indeed on those pictures. I will try to print some of those ( the B&W ones ) and will give them to Jean-Paul Boinet whom I should in principle see in a couple of weeks, he is entered in a leg of the french classic racing championship at the Vigeant circuit which is next door to where I live.

#992 fredolococo

fredolococo

• 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 14:11

Originally posted by PaulMB
Dont know if this lot helps - found it on the net somewhere.

World Superbike Champions

2005 Troy Corser AUS Suzuki
2004 James Toseland ENG Ducati
2003 Neil Hodgson ENG Ducati
2002 Colin Edwards USA Honda
2001 Troy Bayliss AUS Ducati
2000 Colin Edwards USA Honda
1999 Carl Fogarty ENG Ducati
1998 Carl Fogarty ENG Ducati
1997 John Kocinski USA Honda
1996 Troy Corser AUS Ducati
1995 Carl Fogarty ENG Ducati
1994 Carl Fogarty ENG Ducati
1993 Scott Russell USA Kawasaki
1992 Doug Polen USA Ducati
1991 Doug Polen USA Ducati
1990 Raymond Roche FRA Ducati
1989 Fred Merkel USA Honda
1988 Fred Merkel USA Honda

750cc Superbike European Champions

1997 Udo Mark BRD Suzuki
1996 Idalio Gavira ESP Honda
1995 Mario Innamorati ITA Ducati
1994 Anders Rasmussen DAN Yamaha
1993 Christer Lindholm SVE Yamaha
1992 Daniel Amatriaín ESP Ducati
1991 Davide Tardozzi ITA Ducati
1990 Richard Arnaiz USA Honda

British Superbike Champions

2005 Gregorio Lavilla ESP Ducati
2004 John Reynolds ENG Suzuki
2003 Shane Byrne ENG Ducati
2002 Steve Hislop SCO Ducati
2001 John Reynolds ENG Ducati
2000 Neil Hodgson ENG Ducati
1999 Troy Bayliss AUS Ducati
1998 Niall Mackenzie SCO Yamaha
1997 Niall Mackenzie SCO Yamaha
1996 Niall Mackenzie SCO Yamaha
1995 Steve Hislop SCO Ducati
1994 Ian Simpson SCO Norton
1993 Jamie Whitham ENG Yamaha
1992* John Reynolds ENG Kawasaki
1991* Rob McElnea ENG Yamaha
1990* Terry Rymer ENG Yamaha
1989 Brian Morrison SCO Honda
1988* Darren Dixon ENG Suzuki

* actual category 750cc / TT F1

AMA United States Superbike Champions

2005 Mat Mladin AUS Suzuki
2004 Mat Mladin AUS Suzuki
2003 Mat Mladin AUS Suzuki
2002 Nicky Hayden USA Honda
2001 Mat Mladin AUS Suzuki
2000 Mat Mladin AUS Suzuki
1999 Mat Mladin AUS Suzuki
1998 Ben Bostrom USA Honda
1997 Doug Chandler USA Kawasaki
1996 Doug Chandler USA Kawasaki
1995 Miguel DuHamel CAN Honda
1994 Troy Corser AUS Ducati
1993 Doug Polen USA Ducati
1992 Scott Russell USA Kawasaki
1991 Thomas Stevens USA Yamaha
1990 Doug Chandler USA Kawasaki
1989 Jamie James USA Suzuki
1988 Bubba Shobert USA Honda

Japanese Superbike Champions

2005 Shin’ichi Itoh JAP Honda
2004 Hitoyasu Izutsu JAP Honda
2003 Keiichi Kitagawa JAP Suzuki
2002 Atsushi Watanabe JAP Suzuki
2001 Akira Ryo JAP Suzuki
2000 Hitoyasu Izutsu JAP Kawasaki
1999 Wataru Yoshikawa JAP Yamaha
1998 Shin’ichi Itoh JAP Honda
1997 Noriyuki Haga JAP Yamaha
1996 Takuma Aoki JAP Honda
1995 Takuma Aoki JAP Honda
1994 Wataru Yoshikawa JAP Yamaha

Australian Superbike Champions

2005 Joshua Brookes AUS Honda
2004 Adam Fergusson AUS Honda
2003 Craig Coxhell AUS Suzuki
2002 Shawn Giles AUS Suzuki
2001 Shawn Giles AUS Suzuki
2000 Shawn Giles AUS Suzuki
1999 Steve Martin AUS Ducati
1998 Martin Craggill AUS Kawasaki
1997 Martin Craggill AUS Kawasaki
1996 Peter Goddard AUS Suzuki
1995 Kirk McCarthy AUS Honda
1994 Anthony Gobert AUS Honda
1993 Troy Corser AUS Honda
1992 Mat Mladin AUS Kawasaki
1991 Aaron Slight NZL Kawasaki
1990 Malcolm Campbell AUS Honda
1989 Malcolm Campbell AUS Honda

German Pro-Superbike Champions

2005 Stefan Nebel BRD Yamaha
2004 Michael Schulten BRD Honda
2003 Stefan Nebel BRD Suzuki
2002 - -
2001 Marjan Malec SLO Ducati
2000 Paul Leuthard SUI Kawasaki
1999 Christer Lindholm SVE Yamaha
1998 Andreas Meklau AUT Ducati
1997 Christer Lindholm SVE Yamaha
1996 Christer Lindholm SVE Ducati
1995 Jochen Schmid BRD Kawasaki
1994 Udo Mark BRD Ducati
1993 Edwin Weibel SUI Ducati
1992 Edwin Weibel SUI Ducati
1991 Udo Mark BRD Yamaha
1990 Andreas Hofmann BRD
1989 Andreas Hofmann BRD
1988 Ernst Gschwender BRD

Italian Superbike Champions

2005 Norino Brignola ITA Ducati
2004 Alessandro Gramigni ITA Yamaha
2003 Mauro Sanchini ITA Kawasaki
2002 Lucio Pedercini ITA Ducati
2001 Lucio Pedercini ITA Ducati
2000 Giovanni Bussei ITA Kawasaki
1999 Paolo Casoli ITA Ducati
1998 Paolo Blora ITA Ducati

French Superbike Champions

2001 Frédéric Protat FRA Ducati
2000 Frédéric Protat FRA Ducati
1999 Jéhan d’Orgeix FRA Suzuki
1998 Christophe Guyot FRA Kawasaki
1997 Jean-Marc Delétang FRA
1996 Stéphane Chambon FRA Ducati
1995 Jean-Marc Delétang FRA Yamaha
1994 Adrien Morillas FRA
1993 - -
1992 Jean-Yves Mounier FRA Yamaha FZR750R OW01
1991 Jean-Yves Mounier FRA Yamaha FZR750R OW01
1990 I will send you the name nearly
1989 I will send you the name nearly

Austrian Superbike Champions

2005 Berto Camlek SLO Yamaha
2004 Berto Camlek SLO Yamaha
2003 Christian Zaiser AUT Suzuki
2002 Christian Moser AUT Suzuki
2001 Johann Wolfsteiner AUT Kawasaki
2000 Günter Strasser AUT Honda
1999 Johann Wolfsteiner AUT Kawasaki
1998 Gerhard Esterer AUT Kawasaki
1997 Gerhard Esterer AUT Kawasaki
1996 Andreas Meklau AUT Ducati
1995 Karl Truchsess AUT Kawasaki
1994 Karl Truchsess AUT Kawasaki
1993 Robert Mitter AUT Ducati
1992 Andreas Meklau AUT Ducati
1991 Christian Zwedorn AUT Honda
1990 Stefan Klabacher AUT
1989 Alfred Großauer AUT
1988 Dietmar Kemter AUT Honda

PaulMB

#993 S Evans

S Evans

• 80 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 17:28

Philippe, How are you? You are correct Pat road for Factory Yamaha in 72 and I think some of 73. He was a novice at the time. He struggled at some of the early Nationals as the article can attest. He was 17 at the time and weighed 112lbs or so. He put on weight and height at 19. Anyway I thought these might be intersting to you. Take care and wish Jean-Paul good luck from me. Sean
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

The 1972 Yamaha Team consisted of Kel, Kenny, Pat, Kieth Mashburn, Jim Odem and of course, Gene Romero.
Posted Image
17.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pat7201wo8.jpg]http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/8932/pat7201wo8[IMG]http://img317.images...t7201wo8.th.jpg[/IMG] [url="http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pat7208yg9.jpg"][IMG]http://img504.images...t7208yg9.th.jpg [/IMG]

#994 subh

subh

• 1,021 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 18:45

fredolococo:

Thank you for the new information.

If anyone can help, my NZ data has gaps, too:

New Zealand Production Superbike Champions
year rider bike
2005 Tony Rees NZL Yamaha
2004 Andrew Stroud NZL Suzuki
2003 Andrew Stroud NZL Suzuki
2002 Andrew Stroud NZL Suzuki
1998 Andrew Stroud NZL Britten
1997 Chris Haldane NZL Ducati
1996 Chris Haldane NZL Ducati
1995 Andrew Stroud NZL Britten
1994 Jason McEwen NZL Britten
1992 Chris Haldane NZL Yamaha
1991 Andrew Stroud NZL

Sean:

Your picture of Yamaha’s 1972 Daytona line up is very similar to one published on page 12 of the recent British Superbike book by Gary Pinchin. His caption gives: 73 Carruthers; 60 Roberts; 19 Mashburn; 18 Odom, but has number 7 as ‘unknown junior rider’. Is this Romero before he adopted the number 3?

#995 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 19:58

Originally posted by subh
Sean:

Your picture of Yamaha’s 1972 Daytona line up is very similar to one published on page 12 of the recent British Superbike book by Gary Pinchin. His caption gives: 73 Carruthers; 60 Roberts; 19 Mashburn; 18 Odom, but has number 7 as ‘unknown junior rider’. Is this Romero before he adopted the number 3?

No, Gene Romero was already way past being a "junior" in 1972, he had actually ( IIRC) already won a "Number 1" AMA Expert title as a Triumph works rider before then...

I unfortunately have access to very limited data here at home, most of my stuff is on my office computer :blush: but the only rider to have won a Junior race in 1972 aboard a Yamaha is Jim Evans who of course is not related in any way to Pat . But that doesn't mean he was the Junior factory rider that year....

Another mystery to solve, get going guys !

#996 S Evans

S Evans

• 80 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 20:11

Philippe, I think your right, but I'm sure it was'nt Jim Evans. Possibly Dick Mann? My brother Kelly would know. I'll talk to him on the weekend. I think T54 would know . Sean

#997 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 21:12

ok,ok,i gotta ask*who is t54?*

#998 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 21:22

just another little anecdote(whatever they are?)i was there on the day that florian camathias was killed at clearways ,me and my dear old dad were watching as his front forks seem to collapse,what a sad end for the bespectacled swiss driver.
i remember my dad saying"i think he's a gonner lad" :(

#999 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 21:43

sorry all if this stuff is boring you just let me know,i'm just trying to keep this going,but i got 30 yrs of racing exp to share,AND YOU WILL LISTEN!.... :lol:

Advertisement

#1000 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,269 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 22:37

Renzo
You don't have to struggle to keep this thread going, there are lots of us out here who love remembering those days. My first proper motorcycle event was the very first motorcyce event on the Brands Hatch GP circuit in the mid 60s. Hailwood was there on his MV, my subsequent hero Derek Minter was there allbeit hobbling after breaking his back in the Dave Downer incident, Phil Read, Bill Ivy, Paddy Driver, Mike Duff were also there. The atmosphere was electric. Lulu's songs were on the loud speakers, those were the days, my friends. Dave Degens, Dave Croxford, Alan Barnet, Rod Scivyer, Alan Shepherd and all. Chris Vincent, Florian Camathias, Fritz Scheidegger etc.