Jump to content


Photo

Motorcycle racing; 1969-1990 nostalgia 1


  • Please log in to reply
15100 replies to this topic

#14201 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 10 August 2008 - 19:34

I left this off ('s) was meant to be 1990's something, tiz true I tell you!! :p

Advertisement

#14202 fil2.8

fil2.8
  • Member

  • 19,496 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 10 August 2008 - 19:35

Originally posted by picblanc
I left this off ('s) was meant to be 1990's something, tiz true I tell you!! :p


A likely story :p :yawn: :wave:

#14203 mfd

mfd
  • Member

  • 2,904 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 10 August 2008 - 20:17

Originally posted by picblanc
I left this off ('s) was meant to be 1990's something, tiz true I tell you!! :p

You mean it falls inside the thread dates if you say 1990 ish ? :lol:

#14204 MoMurray

MoMurray
  • Member

  • 738 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 10 August 2008 - 20:23

Originally posted by picblanc


Hi Philippe, yes I know he is an Aussie, English sarcastic humour my friend.;) :wave:


A lot of what we speak is driven by money...no great revelation there though.

In 2007 the top three Australian motorcycle racers in terms of earnings were, first Chad Reed at $8m, second Mat Mladin (correct spelling) at $6M and third was Casey Stoner at $4M...and he was the world champion! :eek:

Mo.

#14205 philippe7

philippe7
  • Member

  • 2,779 posts
  • Joined: August 03

Posted 10 August 2008 - 20:25

Hello Friends ,

I'm back home and just dug into the archives as I had said I would when Vaughan Coburn appeared on the forum. Apologies for the poor quality, but being without a scanner , those are digital photos of pages from the short-lived french weekly "Moto Presse"

First , to get the timeline right…
Posted Image

And now our Vaughan , who had indeed organised a clever paintjob to attract photographers
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

…and a few other antipodean members of this distinguished forum….

A small portrait of Jeff ( with Vaughan again in the top pic , following Mortimer )
Posted Image

Murray ( with team mates )
Posted Image

And Stu , following Croz…
Posted Image

#14206 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 10 August 2008 - 21:38

Originally posted by mfd

You mean it falls inside the thread dates if you say 1990 ish ? :lol:


Exactly!! :lol:

#14207 GD66

GD66
  • Member

  • 2,196 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 10 August 2008 - 21:38

Good stuff, Philippe ! Just to add to the pics : The shot of Coburn and Mortimer is taken at the Pukekohe hairpin, the pic of Mortimer leading the group through the Ruapuna esses also includes, as mentioned, 49 Mike Vinsen, I think it's Stu 3rd in line in the Nava helmet, 16 Brent Wylie and I think B2 on the left is Randy Mamola. The shot of Croz on the Z1R is turn 1 at Gracefield, with Stu chasing on the Ceramiche Della Robbia/Bramwell RG500. Stu used a black helmet as well in this series (rustle of anorak)....

#14208 fil2.8

fil2.8
  • Member

  • 19,496 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 10 August 2008 - 21:52

Originally posted by mfd

You mean it falls inside the thread dates if you say 1990 ish ? :lol:


Right chaps i'm :confused: by the 1990 cut off . Is it machine age ? when piccy was taken ?? Or event ?? Or what ?? :confused: heeeeeeeeeelp

#14209 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 10 August 2008 - 21:57

Originally posted by fil2.8


Right chaps i'm :confused: by the 1990 cut off . Is it machine age ? when piccy was taken ?? Or event ?? Or what ?? :confused: heeeeeeeeeelp


Anything to do with the period is fine by me matey!!, I think Mike is making merryment!! :lol: :eek:

#14210 fil2.8

fil2.8
  • Member

  • 19,496 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 10 August 2008 - 22:02

Originally posted by picblanc


Anything to do with the period is fine by me matey!!, I think Mike is making merryment!! :lol: :eek:

Posted Image

Well in that case how about this gem

#14211 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 10 August 2008 - 22:09

Originally posted by fil2.8
Posted Image

Well in that case how about this gem


OK then what is it!!? a 125 SCHIRTFINKLE? well thats what it looks like written on the tank
If I remember rightly there was a Dutch guy Veres Ma Schirtfinkle around in the early 70's?

#14212 fil2.8

fil2.8
  • Member

  • 19,496 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 10 August 2008 - 22:17

Originally posted by picblanc


OK then what is it!!? a 125 SCHERTFINKLE? well thats what it looks like written on the tank
If I remember rightly there was a Dutch guy Veres Ma Schirtfinkle around in the early 70's?


Ah Fu still with us I see .Piccy Assen '98 (pressed the right digit ) :lol: :rotfl: I've allways liked the Tohatsu's which I believed morphed into the Kawasaki 125 , both of which were ridden by the late and yes great Dave Simmonds :up:

#14213 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 10 August 2008 - 22:22

Originally posted by fil2.8


Ah Fu still with us I see .Piccy Assen '98 (pressed the right digit ) :lol: :rotfl: I've allways liked the Tohatsu's which I believed morphed into the Kawasaki 125 , both of which were ridden by the late and yes great Dave Simmonds :up:


So its a Tohatsu then not a Schirtfinkle?

#14214 fil2.8

fil2.8
  • Member

  • 19,496 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 10 August 2008 - 22:27

Originally posted by picblanc


So its a Tohatsu then not a Schirtfinkle?


Are you talking a load of Schirt...... :lol: :rotfl:

#14215 seh1066

seh1066
  • Member

  • 266 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:54

Should not be too difficult, I think :)

Posted Image

#14216 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:45

Originally posted by seh1066
Should not be too difficult, I think :)

Posted Image


Great pic!! no idea though. :

#14217 seh1066

seh1066
  • Member

  • 266 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:51

Originally posted by picblanc


Great pic!! no idea though. :


:wave: Good Morning, Graham !
It's the second time I post a pic for this rider - and at the first time you were the man that guessed him correctly... :)

#14218 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:02

Originally posted by seh1066


:wave: Good Morning, Graham !
It's the second time I post a pic for this rider - and at the first time you were the man that guessed him correctly... :)


:lol: :lol: Morning Stefan :wave: I will have another think, it looks like an MBA? is it Paolo Ferretti?

#14219 seh1066

seh1066
  • Member

  • 266 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:11

Posted Image

Originally posted by picblanc


:lol: :lol: Morning Stefan :wave: I will have another think, it looks like an MBA? is it Paolo Ferretti?


:clap: Sure, it's Paolo Ferretti again.
The pic was taken during Saturday practice for the German GP 1982. He had a good race finishing on the podium if I remember right.

Advertisement

#14220 LamboNZ

LamboNZ
  • Member

  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:23

Originally posted by picblanc


Morning Nigel, no dont know him. : looks good on it though!!


Oh well, he wasn't as well known as a lot of the riders on here.
What about this one?

Posted Image

#14221 Vaughan Coburn

Vaughan Coburn
  • Member

  • 41 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:01

Originally posted by GD66
Good stuff, Philippe ! Just to add to the pics : The shot of Coburn and Mortimer is taken at the Pukekohe hairpin, the pic of Mortimer leading the group through the Ruapuna esses also includes, as mentioned, 49 Mike Vinsen, I think it's Stu 3rd in line in the Nava helmet, 16 Brent Wylie and I think B2 on the left is Randy Mamola. The shot of Croz on the Z1R is turn 1 at Gracefield, with Stu chasing on the Ceramiche Della Robbia/Bramwell RG500. Stu used a black helmet as well in this series (rustle of anorak)....


Hi GD

The pic of Chas leading the group is actually at Timaru....yes Stu is wearing the Nova helmet.....B2 is Ron Taylor and Randy is the helmet on top of Chas.

Cheers
Vaughan

#14222 GD66

GD66
  • Member

  • 2,196 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:13

Agreed ! I always thought that esses shot was Ruapuna in the afternoon, but now it does look like Timaru in the morning. And by the way Vaughan, you must have been chuffed with the way those 350 series turned out for you, the racing was redhot and you and Chas M must have ended up pretty well equal over the years ! :up:

#14223 Vaughan Coburn

Vaughan Coburn
  • Member

  • 41 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:22

Originally posted by GD66
Agreed ! I always thought that esses shot was Ruapuna in the afternoon, but now it does look like Timaru in the morning. And by the way Vaughan, you must have been chuffed with the way those 350 series turned out for you, the racing was redhot and you and Chas M must have ended up pretty well equal over the years ! :up:




Was a great shame that my dear friend Ray Quincey crashed in practice at Pukekohe...He was the man to beat. Had a lot of laughs and may I say shags at that series and the winning prize money was $700 kiwi(about threepence in the old money). At least I have more hair than "old" Chas !!

#14224 GD66

GD66
  • Member

  • 2,196 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:41

True, but he still gets out for a gallop from time to time. You must be just about due to turn up for a squirt at one of our historic meetings, mate...at the Island Classic last Jan we had Molloy vs Horsman, and Gardner vs Campbell among others....Trevor Discombe turned out at Wanganui to do a few parade laps as the guest legend and ended up racing to a 3rd in a post-classic race.... don't you ever get itchy for a pedal ?

#14225 Vaughan Coburn

Vaughan Coburn
  • Member

  • 41 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 11 August 2008 - 15:04

Originally posted by GD66
True, but he still gets out for a gallop from time to time. You must be just about due to turn up for a squirt at one of our historic meetings, mate...at the Island Classic last Jan we had Molloy vs Horsman, and Gardner vs Campbell among others....Trevor Discombe turned out at Wanganui to do a few parade laps as the guest legend and ended up racing to a 3rd in a post-classic race.... don't you ever get itchy for a pedal ?



No I dont.....more into golf, and worst of all is that my "little" brother has been flogging my backside lately!!
Maybe the heat in Thailand affects me.

#14226 fil2.8

fil2.8
  • Member

  • 19,496 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 15:20

Originally posted by picblanc


OK then what is it!!? a 125 SCHIRTFINKLE? well thats what it looks like written on the tank
If I remember rightly there was a Dutch guy Veres Ma Schirtfinkle around in the early 70's?


Mr Fu :love: the plot thickens : re your Mr Schirtfinkle , I now have the prog from Assen in my grubby little hands . Your eastern mystical mind must do some 'tec work ): The rider is down as a certain --wait for it--Piet van der Goorbergh and the owner of the bike as Steve Kempster who, flicking through the prog. owned quite a stable :up: .I'm trying to think if iv'e heard of either ?? ): have you ?? or anybody :confused: ??

#14227 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows
  • Member

  • 6,277 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 16:04

Hi Phil, no. Wonder where he got it ?

#14228 fil2.8

fil2.8
  • Member

  • 19,496 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 16:21

Originally posted by Russell Burrows
Hi Phil, no. Wonder where he got it ?


Russ, our friend Mr Kempster , as I said owns/owned quite a collection -- Anything on 2-wheels with pedigree :up: from the Tohatsu ,125 MZ RE ,Bultaco 125 TSS ,Honda CR 93 , etc .and just for you a 250 Aermacchi :love:

#14229 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 11 August 2008 - 16:32

Originally posted by LamboNZ


Oh well, he wasn't as well known as a lot of the riders on here.
What about this one?

Posted Image


No ones had a go at this Nigel, a very wild and probably very wrong guess..Eddie Boldizar, though I really only remember him on the LC250/350?
Who ever it is? has that big 1100 well cranked over...(useful!)clue please ;)

#14230 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 11 August 2008 - 17:58

Very quiet!! was it something I said :
An easyish WWW?
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#14231 fil2.8

fil2.8
  • Member

  • 19,496 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 18:06

[QUOTE]Originally posted by picblanc
[B]Very quiet!! was it something I said :

Not at all .It's something you have'nt said ): :lol: didn't know if you had any thoughts on my question of the Tohatsu rider a few posts back , Fu ??;) :wave:

#14232 Adrian Godden

Adrian Godden
  • Member

  • 171 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 18:12

Originally posted by picblanc
Very quiet!! was it something I said :
An easyish WWW?
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.


...tsk...ran out of legal stories of 'im...so I can't tell a tale.....but am tryin to get the pic from page 123 from TIMARU to show VC. It was taken after the Marlboro Series (1979) but it was taken at the same twist after the s n f line.

A

#14233 mfd

mfd
  • Member

  • 2,904 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 11 August 2008 - 18:18

Originally posted by picblanc
An easyish WWW?

Is #52 Steve Parrish, Laramie, 1976 ish

#14234 LamboNZ

LamboNZ
  • Member

  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 11 August 2008 - 18:20

Originally posted by picblanc


No ones had a go at this Nigel, a very wild and probably very wrong guess..Eddie Boldizar, though I really only remember him on the LC250/350?
Who ever it is? has that big 1100 well cranked over...(useful!)clue please ;)


Hi Graham, sadly this rider is no longer with us. He was another of the regular Bemsee winners, and also ran well in the big proddy national classes in the late eighties. Initials DB

#14235 TZ350

TZ350
  • Member

  • 789 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 18:31

Originally posted by mfd

Is #52 Steve Parrish, Laramie, 1976 ish

Mike I am confused :confused: is that Laramie near you ? looks awfully like shaws to me?

#14236 mfd

mfd
  • Member

  • 2,904 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 11 August 2008 - 18:36

Originally posted by TZ350
Mike I am confused :confused: is that Laramie near you ? looks awfully like shaws to me?

Yes, yes Graham, that's right - Laramie Park, near Market Bossie

#14237 TZ350

TZ350
  • Member

  • 789 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 19:17

Originally posted by mfd

Yes, yes Graham, that's right - Laramie Park, near Market Bossie

:confused: :confused: now Im really confused Mike? are you responding to me or Graham? :lol: ah yes Bosworth only discovbere that part of the world, very pretty btw years after I had retired from racing still confused about the Laramie bit thogh?

#14238 Henry Snee

Henry Snee
  • Member

  • 75 posts
  • Joined: November 06

Posted 11 August 2008 - 19:18

Originally posted by picblanc
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#28 looks like Ollie Chevallier

David

#14239 mfd

mfd
  • Member

  • 2,904 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 11 August 2008 - 19:55

Originally posted by TZ350
:confused: :confused: now Im really confused Mike? are you responding to me or Graham? :lol: ah yes Bosworth only discovbere that part of the world, very pretty btw years after I had retired from racing still confused about the Laramie bit thogh?

Sorry! It was intended for Graham, but I don't think he clicked I was juxtaposing the letters in the word. No offence intended Julian.
If I might explain how? The first meeting I ever went to was the Race of the Year in 1974 at Mallory. Quite a few of us had British twins & rode there together. It was pure Blazing Saddles nonsense, because whoever led us off would look behind and wave us away as a group, just like in the cowboy films. One of the wags said it was if we were going to Laramie Park...

Advertisement

#14240 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 11 August 2008 - 20:04

Originally posted by mfd

Sorry! It was intended for Graham, but I don't think he clicked I was juxtaposing the letters in the word. No offence intended Julian.
If I might explain how? The first meeting I ever went to was the Race of the Year in 1974 at Mallory. Quite a few of us had British twins & rode there together. It was pure Blazing Saddles nonsense, because whoever led us off would look behind and wave us away as a group, just like in the cowboy films. One of the wags said it was if we were going to Laramie Park...


You been sniffing that cellulose and paint thinners again Mike!! :lol:

Yes to Parrish Mike
Ollie Chevallier David :clap: :clap:
Mallory 1975.
The other rider we have had before and has started racing again at CRMC meets, PH.

Phil, no those names don't ring bells other than Van Den Goorburgh(spelling!) Jurgen & who was his brother? is your bloke their Dad? :confused:

#14241 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 11 August 2008 - 20:06

Originally posted by LamboNZ


Hi Graham, sadly this rider is no longer with us. He was another of the regular Bemsee winners, and also ran well in the big proddy national classes in the late eighties. Initials DB


No sorry Nigel, me minds blanker than normal! :

#14242 renzo

renzo
  • Member

  • 821 posts
  • Joined: August 06

Posted 11 August 2008 - 20:21

Originally posted by picblanc


No sorry Nigel, me minds blanker than normal! :


is it something boughton?,did he have a brother,mark?

#14243 SHBSB

SHBSB
  • New Member

  • 5 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 20:24

Dave Burford. Great battles always with him Graham Marchant and West Ham sponsored Mark Plato. 1300cc proddy races were highlights of most Bemsee & KRC events. Topically Dave's fatal accident at Clearways seemed just like an akward fall but so sadly and immediatley was determined serious. I was marshalling (guess arround 87/88) and was the first person to get to Dave with the ground post Doctor. Absolutly tragic.

SH

#14244 fil2.8

fil2.8
  • Member

  • 19,496 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 20:27

Originally posted by picblanc




Phil, no those names don't ring bells other than Van Den Goorburgh(spelling!) Jurgen & who was his brother? is your bloke their Dad? :confused:


:) Don't know Fu-Fu :love: thats how it was spelt in the prog. Just thought you might have known useing your expanded brain power :eek: :eek: :wave:

#14245 mfd

mfd
  • Member

  • 2,904 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 11 August 2008 - 20:33

Originally posted by picblanc
You been sniffing that cellulose and paint thinners again Mike!! :lol:
Phil, no those names don't ring bells other than Van Den Goorburgh(spelling!) Jurgen & who was his brother? is your bloke their Dad? :confused:

The brother to Jurgen is called Patrick...you'll know why I know this pair. :smoking: Either Doc Shop or the Grundig backed team in 250's. Late 80's

#14246 GD66

GD66
  • Member

  • 2,196 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 20:52

Originally posted by picblanc


Good old Sammy Miller!! AJS porcupine?



Not the Porcupine, which in both formats was a twin. This is the V4, and if ever you get the chance to get an earful when Sammy cranks it...... ! :eek:

#14247 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 11 August 2008 - 20:57

Originally posted by GD66



Not the Porcupine, which in both formats was a twin. This is the V4, and if ever you get the chance to get an earful when Sammy cranks it...... ! :eek:


Back in me box!! :blush: :p

#14248 fil2.8

fil2.8
  • Member

  • 19,496 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 21:14

:) I think even Fu could get this right :rolleyes: WWW please guys and who else can you spot ): --and who is Tarzen sans the shirt ?? :eek:




Posted Image

#14249 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer
  • Member

  • 3,002 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 21:51

OK, I´ll take the hard one. Martin Ogborne second from right. :rotfl:

#14250 fil2.8

fil2.8
  • Member

  • 19,496 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 21:57

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer
OK, I´ll take the hard one. Martin Ogborne second from right. :rotfl:


Don't you think it looks more like a cardboard cut out of Martin :eek: :eek: :lol: but of course you are correct :clap: