Motorcycle racing; 1969-1990 nostalgia 1

• Please log in to reply
15100 replies to this topic

#2201 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 23:14

Originally posted by picblanc

Brett Hudson 1983? poss 84 but it was very wet, so 83! Kyalami.

Well, that was quick. You're right, it was South African Brett Hudson scoring a point for tenth in his first GP, the South African GP of 1984. Brett was South African Superbike champion in, I think 1981, on a Kawasaki Z1000JR (the Eddie Lawson model) which was miles quicker than anything else in SA at the time and he won the championship. He disappeared for a couple of years and then came back and rode a Grand Prix season in 1984. Through a mixture of attrocious weather, circuit knowledge and sheer luck he stayed on board to score his point in his home Grand Prix. A nice enough guy but not a rider that we South Africans would boast about.

Advertisement

#2202 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 23:19

Originally posted by bigrog

The rider is Jacques Hutteau but I'm not sure what the bike is. Was it an MBA?

Yep Monsieur Jacques it is, on a Morbidelli. as were on a roll try this!!
Bruno Kneubuhler 125 LCR 1986.
Posted Image
Picture copyright Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#2203 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:01

Yep Monsieur Jacques it is, on a Morbidelli. as were on a roll try this!!
Bruno Kneubuhler 125 LCR 1986.

Well, that doesn't leave me a lot to answer, Graham, unless you posted it as the start of your collection of 125 pics. I had forgotten that Louis Christen produced solos. A very clever guy and one of the first with composite materials. Way ahead of his time.

Bruno Kneubuhler was an amazing bloke, wasn't he? One of the few riders to compete in every GP class from 50's to 750's. He even won a 50GP on a Kreidler (mind you, so did Bazza). The other thing was the length of his career. Competed in GP's from 1972 to 1989. That's impressive. He was 43 when he finished riding. Bit of a Jezza MuckSpreader of his day.

#2204 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:16

Well, that doesn't leave me a lot to answer, Graham, unless you posted it as the start of your collection of 125 pics. I had forgotten that Louis Christen produced solos. A very clever guy and one of the first with composite materials. Way ahead of his time.

Bruno Kneubuhler was an amazing bloke, wasn't he? One of the few riders to compete in every GP class from 50's to 750's. He even won a 50GP on a Kreidler (mind you, so did Bazza). The other thing was the length of his career. Competed in GP's from 1972 to 1989. That's impressive. He was 43 when he finished riding. Bit of a Jezza MuckSpreader of his day.

Hi Roger, no with this one I was just getting the ball rolling hopefully for others/and me, but dont want to hog the board (again!!) to think of machines, the picture Antony posted of Baddy Hassaine got me thinking,(well done for getting that by the way, I didn't have a clue!!) as there appears to be dozens of producers of 125 machines? As the LCR photo shows, many long gone and forgotten.
So I will put some more up later, some will be guess the rider also!! But feel free to join in everyone with pics or memories.
Graham.

#2205 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,779 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 13:17

Antony, I think it's J-P Lecointe on an RG500 in the 1989 French Grand Prix. What was special about the bike I don't know but didn't he win the French Championship in 1990 as well.

I think that what is special about the bike is that it's based on a production (road-going) 500RG , not on a "racer"......but I'd like Antony to confirm that.

What I'm certain of is that another french rider, Claude Albert, fresh from the french "promosport" 500 production championship, got through a mistake of the french federation (!) an entry in the 1988 Spanish Grand Prix , so without any compex he went to Jarama with his bog-standard production 500 Suzuki and , far from being ridiculous, actually qualified for the race, although he eventually DNF'ed....

#2206 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 17:04

A 125 Malanca from 1977, do you know the rider?
Posted Image

#2207 antony duprat

antony duprat

• 979 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 17:09

Originally posted by philippe7

I think that what is special about the bike is that it's based on a production (road-going) 500RG , not on a "racer"......but I'd like Antony to confirm that.

What I'm certain of is that another french rider, Claude Albert, fresh from the french "promosport" 500 production championship, got through a mistake of the french federation (!) an entry in the 1988 Spanish Grand Prix , so without any compex he went to Jarama with his bog-standard production 500 Suzuki and , far from being ridiculous, actually qualified for the race, although he eventually DNF'ed....

Sorry, i'm just going home... This is Jean paul Lecointe at the French GP at LeMANS in 1989
He ride a modified road-bike Suzuki Gamma 500. Now JP race in the Eric Saul's ICGP serie whith succes.

#2208 antony duprat

antony duprat

• 979 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 18:05

Posted Image

I think it can be an italian privateer on the old malanca of the poor Otello Buscherini, but i don't now his name...
I remember a French rider, Jean Francois Verdier, who race in 1983 with an72 ex-Nieto's 50 Derbi at the French GP.!!! He was DNQ with the last time at 29 seconds of the pole.

#2209 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,779 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 18:06

Mmmhhh....Pierluigi Conforti maybe ?

I didn't think the Malanca had been used after the 1976 season, during which its favourite rider Otello Buscherini had lost his life . It was still very competitive in 1976 though, specially considering its age ! After all, the Malanca was simply a re-branded 1967 Suzuki twin , Buscherini had even been disqualified in a race in 1975 ( I think ) because the "pin" his mechanic had put into the gearbox to block the original Suzuki 7 th speed ( to comply with the 6 gears only rule) had come loose during the race and he found himself with an illegal bike...

Quite a few of those 1967 Suzukis remained in Europe and ended up re-branded under various names.....when I visited Barry Sheene at his Gold Coast home in 1997 , the fully restored 125 Suzuki he had bought from Stuart Graham and used in 1971 was on display in his entrance room, and he told me that he had sold it in 1972 to an Italian team who raced it under their name ( Ital Jet maybe ? ) and that when many years later he managed to trace the bike again, he had to pay a considerable amount more to buy it back that what he had sold it for . When he had finished restoring it , Barry sent pictures to the Suzuki factory who offered to buy it from him at "whatever price he wanted" , but he was not prepared to part from it at any cost !

One of the pictures I took of this bike is here, on the "Bike 70" website.....

http://www.bonhuil.c...EENE/photo1.jpg

#2210 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 18:54

if you have sky tv espn classic channel 442 is showing a series of films about barry sheen,the first two are on tonight starting at 22.00 hrs :clap:

#2211 MrMacca

MrMacca

• 42 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 19:50

And in the UK, when the F1 Championship was for production-based engines and 2-strokes were allowed (mainly to enable people to race LC250 and 350-based bikes in F2 and F3), a rider won the championship with a Padgett RG500 which actually was almost a full Mk9 apart from the crankcases - having won a British championship on 2 wheels, he then won a world championship on 3 wheels................

Paul M

#2212 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 19:52

Originally posted by MrMacca

And in the UK, when the F1 Championship was for production-based engines and 2-strokes were allowed (mainly to enable people to race LC250 and 350-based bikes in F2 and F3), a rider won the championship with a Padgett RG500 which actually was almost a full Mk9 apart from the crankcases - having won a British championship on 2 wheels, he then won a world championship on 3 wheels................

Paul M

Darren Dixon, I was going to mention that Paul, you beat me to it!!

#2213 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 19:58

[QUOTE]Originally posted by philippe7
[B]

Mmmhhh....Pierluigi Conforti maybe ?

I didn't think the Malanca had been used after the 1976 season, during which its favourite rider Otello Buscherini had lost his life . It was still very competitive in 1976 though, specially considering its age ! After all, the Malanca was simply a re-branded 1967 Suzuki twin , Buscherini had even been disqualified in a race in 1975 ( I think ) because the "pin" his mechanic had put into the gearbox to block the original Suzuki 7 th speed ( to comply with the 6 gears only rule) had come loose during the race and he found himself with an illegal bike...

Interesting you should mention Pierluigi Conforti because the Malanca picture is from 1977 Brit GP which Conforti won! the Malanca rider is Swiss, a name familiar to me but not well known.

Philippe the information as usuall superb!! how do you do it?!! :up:

#2214 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,779 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:46

Posted Image

Swiss, eh ? By the helmet colours, I would say Hans Müller then......but Hans had already gotten himself a Morbidelli in 1977 , and scored points with it at the British GP....unless maybe he used the Malanca in practice ?

#2215 antony duprat

antony duprat

• 979 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:54

It can be Nedy Crotta, who's race with an Armstrong in the 80's.
Philippe, i have the interview of Baddy Hassaine in the HS GP 86 of Moto Journal. If you haven't it i can mail you to help me, i'm too just in english. it's vrey interesting for all of you...

#2216 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:16

Swiss, eh ? By the helmet colours, I would say Hans Müller then......but Hans had already gotten himself a Morbidelli in 1977 , and scored points with it at the British GP....unless maybe he used the Malanca in practice ?

Hi guys, the Malanca rider is Swiss Ernst Stammbach, not a household name I know, but the bike was the interest here really ;)

#2217 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:24

Bit easier this one (hopefully) :| Do you Brit race guys or anyone else remember this rider? and what about the bike!! the date is 1975.
Posted Image

#2218 antony duprat

antony duprat

• 979 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:34

i think it is a Foale yamaha

To Bigrog: i think that the future WSBK or WSS champion can be a South african. i ve see a guy who turn in 1.46.9 at Magny_Cours in the GSX/R Cup race when the pole in SBK whas in 1.40.00
There is a very big difference between the two bikes. he win the race with 10 sec. before the second, in 12 Laps !!! His name is Hudson Kennaugh... Very impressive.

#2219 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:13

Originally posted by antony duprat

To Bigrog: i think that the future WSBK or WSS champion can be a South african. i ve see a guy who turn in 1.46.9 at Magny_Cours in the GSX/R Cup race when the pole in SBK whas in 1.40.00
There is a very big difference between the two bikes. he win the race with 10 sec. before the second, in 12 Laps !!! His name is Hudson Kennaugh... Very impressive.

It's definitely not a Tony Foale creation. It's a Seeley frame that has been modified to take the fuel tank under the top tubes. The rear wheel adjusters and tubes from steering head to swinging arm pivot always identify Seeley's products. I recognise the rider from the polka dot design on the helmet but can't come upwith a name. I'd guess it's got an aircooled Yamaha motor so it's a TR2 or TR3. The fuel tank idea doesn't really achieve what they were trying to do which is to lower the frontal area. The standard Seeley tank was too big and we altered it for the Kawasaki that is in post number 1554. It didn't lower frontal area but it was more comfortable than the original and certainly more comfortable than no tank as this bike shows. At least it showed some novel ideas any way.

Will come back later on Hudson Kennaugh. Got some pressure from the wife to go out for the rest of the day!!

Advertisement

#2220 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:45

It's definitely not a Tony Foale creation. It's a Seeley frame that has been modified to take the fuel tank under the top tubes. The rear wheel adjusters and tubes from steering head to swinging arm pivot always identify Seeley's products. I recognise the rider from the polka dot design on the helmet but can't come upwith a name. I'd guess it's got an aircooled Yamaha motor so it's a TR2 or TR3. The fuel tank idea doesn't really achieve what they were trying to do which is to lower the frontal area. The standard Seeley tank was too big and we altered it for the Kawasaki that is in post number 1554. It didn't lower frontal area but it was more comfortable than the original and certainly more comfortable than no tank as this bike shows. At least it showed some novel ideas any way.

Will come back later on Hudson Kennaugh. Got some pressure from the wife to go out for the rest of the day!!

Yes Roger is right, its a Yamsel with lowered fuel tank, I have another picture of him from earlier in the year with the bike in more standard spec. I wont say who the rider is just yet, in case someone wants to have a guess?

#2221 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,779 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 13:04

Like Roger, I am sure I know this helmet pattern but can't come up with a name....

Bernard Murray maybe ?

#2222 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 13:10

Hi Philippe, no its not Bernard Murray, but I am pretty sure you have seen him as I seem to remember you did many of the UK Internationals in the mid 70's, this guy rode in most of them.

#2223 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,779 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 13:29

Hi Philippe, no its not Bernard Murray, but I am pretty sure you have seen him as I seem to remember you did many of the UK Internationals in the mid 70's, this guy rode in most of them.

:mad: dammit, I know the helmet !

Barry Woodland ?

#2224 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 14:03

:mad: dammit, I know the helmet !

Barry Woodland ?

No, the other guys dont appear to be around? so I will tell you, his name is Richard Horton.

#2225 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,779 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 14:12

Thanks Graham

Any relation to Clive ? (Horton)

#2226 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 14:13

Philippe, did you not recognize the rider at post 2190?
Here are a few names that might fit him?....
Phillip Robles
Joel Roche
Eric Del Camp
Arnaud de Puniet
Michel Augizeau
Franck Giriod-Roux...
Of course he may not be French as others that day were from Germany, switzerland, Holland, Belgium and Sweden.

Try this well known rider, but be careful not as easy as it might look!!
Posted Image

#2227 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 14:15

Thanks Graham

Any relation to Clive ? (Horton)

No Richard was from London, Clive is from Chaddesden? which isn't near London?(Midlands maybe?)

#2228 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,779 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 14:23

Try this well known rider, but be careful not as easy as it might look!!
Posted Image

The helmet ( Pharaho) and leathers look definitely Haslam-ish, the bike looks too modern to have been Phil ( and too old to have been "junior", whose surname escapes me.....) ...so it must really be Ron, eh ? ( Unless poor Terry had a go at two-wheelers too...)

#2229 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,779 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 14:26

Philippe, did you not recognize the rider at post 2190?
Here are a few names that might fit him?....
Phillip Robles
Joel Roche
Eric Del Camp
Arnaud de Puniet
Michel Augizeau
Franck Giriod-Roux...
Of course he may not be French as others that day were from Germany, switzerland, Holland, Belgium and Sweden.

The only one who had a mustache at the time was Joël Roche , but I'm not positive it's him....I'm puzzled by the white and red leathers, IIRC all riders in the french Yamaha LC Cup of the time had to wear compulsory light blue and white Sonauto-Gauloises kits....

#2230 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 15:21

http://i20.photobuck...epics/pic20.jpg[/IMG]
Picture copyright Graham Etheridge, racebikepics. [/B]

Could that be Alan Carter If it's not Rocket Ron ? Can't be Eric Sunderland ( no beard ) who is the only other one I can think of apart from the Haslams to wear big Mal's colours :

#2231 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,034 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 15:55

Is it Chris Guy? (Or even Kenny Carter - Mal's speedway son - having a try on a road racer?).

#2232 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 16:14

Originally posted by knickerbrook
Is it Chris Guy? (Or even Kenny Carter - Mal's speedway son - having a try on a road racer?).

:clap: Hi Barry!! correct Chris Guy is the right answer...

Philippe your right about the French lads they were all Gauloises sponsored, so must be some other Johnny foreigner :)

#2233 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 16:39

Bit easier this one (hopefully) :| Do you Brit race guys or anyone else remember this rider? and what about the bike!! the date is 1975.
Posted Image

I know it's not but I am still going to say it. Is it Trevor Elliott?

#2234 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 17:12

Originally posted by antony duprat

Antony, I admire your enthusiasm for Hudson Kennaugh but I don't think he's quick enough. He has ridden in the British Superstock championship this year and has been erratic but brilliant on a few occasions. He won at Thruxton and so nearly won at Silverstone (Brendan Roberts T-boned him on the last lap) and had a huge lead at the last round at Brands when he was caught out by the weather and fell. He is quick on the right day so keep a look out for him but I don't think World Champion. We also have Sheridan Morais in World Superstock who has shown the odd touch of brilliance but he also needs to be quicker consistently in 2007. I sincerely hope they have better years in 2007.

I know this is the "Nostalgia Forum" but I'll add a quick piece about modern racing. How do the French rate Sylvain Guintoli's chances of success in MotoGP? He's somebody I really rate so I hope he proves himslf in MotoGP this year. Let's hope he's given a decent chance with the same equipment as the other Yamaha riders. And how about the completely French duo at Kawasaki. Randy DePuniet was quick on his day in 2006 but must learn to stay on when the tyres start to go away. As for Olivier, I would love to see him be competitive but I fear his time has gone.

Lastly, I love all motor and motorcycle racing from the 50's right through to today. I love cars but I must admit my enthusiasm for F1 disappeared in the 80's. The difference between cars and bikes is bikes just get better. As much as some of you fellow 'old-timers' might hate to admit it, the golden age of motorcycle racing is today. Last years MotoGP was the best ever. And I have been watching racing since I was a toddler in the fifties. Whilst unfortantely, the golden age of F1 was probably the 60's or 70's. I loved the 1.5 litre formula. I still think the Lotus 25 is the greatest looking F1 of all time closely followed by the original 3.0 Eagle Weslake. I'm not anti cars. I work in the car world and my brother (pmbboy) works for Renault F1 but we both think the same. All racing is fantastic but two wheels has always been best.

Whew, got that off my chest.

Apologies for the soapbox chaps but it comes from some of the anti two wheels comments by a few on some parts of the rest of the forum. However, it is a tiny minority. Most racing enthusiasts love all forms of racing. Let's all hope for a great year in 2007.

Roger

#2235 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 17:45

Hi Roger, not Trevor, post 2224 has the answer.

#2236 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 17:48

A quick one who can you spot?
Posted Image

#2237 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 17:49

Hi Roger, not Trevor, post 2224 has the answer.

Whoops, sorry, Graham. I'll pay attention in future! :blush:

How about another?

Roger

#2238 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 17:51

A quick one who can you spot?

Will Hartog. Alex George? John Cowie on the Mocheck bike??

#2239 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,779 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 17:54

Well said, Roger :up:

You're right, racing at the front is tighter today than it has ever been....I have fond memories of the days of Sheene and co but you have to admit that in terms of closeness of racing, it only rarely was as tight as today. What does bug me in MotoGP though is the small field/factory prototypes only......I really think that MotoGP should move to World SBK specs.....I never believed in "silhouette" style championships for cars, 'cos there is too wide a range ( pricewise) of cars for the public to identify itself with......but in bikes ? Would the racing be poorer today if the MotoGP field was competing on SBK spec bikes ? Certainly not, and the field would be stronger....

I haven't looked at a MotoGP site for ages, so do I get from your comments that Olivier Jacque has got a full-time ride for next season ? If so, I think he will be ahead of Randy de Puniet. I have nothing against Randy, mind you.....I'm even going to tell you a little personal memory . One of the very few times I dared to venture on to a circuit to pretend I was a racer, that was back in 1979 at the Carole circuit north of Paris on a track day, Randy's father Arnaud, who was at the time a reasonably good national rider, happened to be here mixing with the amateurs to try out his production RD400 Yamaha. As I was coming into the most technical curve of the circuit , a long right hander that started tight and then widened up onto the main straight , he passed me under braking, I clamped my teeth and somehow managed to stay right behind him as we were accelerating all along the curve, and I was following this guy with "De Puniet" written on his leathers and I was in heaven thinking man, I'm mixing up with the big boys.....

Sorry about that, I'm just sipping an excellent bottle of Yellow Wine from the Jura and I think I'd better stop writing nonsense and get my coat....

Advertisement

#2240 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,779 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 17:56

OK, I'll stay for a minute, just to say that N°41 is Hubert Rigal, before Mike "mfd" painted his helmet differently ;)

#2241 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 18:11

Well said, Roger :up:

You're right, racing at the front is tighter today than it has ever been....I have fond memories of the days of Sheene and co but you have to admit that in terms of closeness of racing, it only rarely was as tight as today. What does bug me in MotoGP though is the small field/factory prototypes only......I really think that MotoGP should move to World SBK specs.....I never believed in "silhouette" style championships for cars, 'cos there is too wide a range ( pricewise) of cars for the public to identify itself with......but in bikes ? Would the racing be poorer today if the MotoGP field was competing on SBK spec bikes ? Certainly not, and the field would be stronger....

I haven't looked at a MotoGP site for ages, so do I get from your comments that Olivier Jacque has got a full-time ride for next season ? If so, I think he will be ahead of Randy de Puniet. I have nothing against Randy, mind you.....I'm even going to tell you a little personal memory . One of the very few times I dared to venture on to a circuit to pretend I was a racer, that was back in 1979 at the Carole circuit north of Paris on a track day, Randy's father Arnaud, who was at the time a reasonably good national rider, happened to be here mixing with the amateurs to try out his production RD400 Yamaha. As I was coming into the most technical curve of the circuit , a long right hander that started tight and then widened up onto the main straight , he passed me under braking, I clamped my teeth and somehow managed to stay right behind him as we were accelerating all along the curve, and I was following this guy with "De Puniet" written on his leathers and I was in heaven thinking man, I'm mixing up with the big boys.....

Sorry about that, I'm just sipping an excellent bottle of Yellow Wine from the Jura and I think I'd better stop writing nonsense and get my coat....

Good story, Philippe. I didn't know that Randy's Papa was a rider as well. I have to say that my judgement is being impaired by a very pleasant St. Emilion as well.

In answer to your Olivier Jacques bit. Ollie is now back in MotoGP as a 'proper' rider for Kawasaki. However, I get the feeling that Kawasaki's effort this year is not going to be huge. The new 800 has hardly seen the light of day so far.

Not sure I agree with you on the SBK spec bikes. But I do agree that the woefully small grids for MotoGP are pitiful. Thank God that the racing is as tight as it is because there are too few bikes. Rather like the best years of F1, I believe racing is at it's best when engines are available to all with chassis that can then be made for that motor. The Roberts example is a great one. I think F1 was at it's best when Cosworth was supplying the same spec engine (or almost) and chassis were being made by March, Lotus , McLaren, Tyrrell etc. (even Matra though that was short lived as they were keen to have their own V12.

To get to the point. As much as I hate Honda ruling the politics of MotoGP, they do supply six bikes and a engine. If Yamaha and Suzuki were asked to supply more engines, I think we would see the re-emergence of teams like WCM who were driven out by the lack of a competitive motor.

Let's hope the St. Emilion is not making this incomprehensible!! I'm moving on to a bottle of Vino Nobile in a minute!

#2242 pmbboy

pmbboy

• 265 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 18:12

Another pic to guess What and Where?Posted Image

#2243 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,034 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 18:13

Wil Hartog, Alex George, John Cowie, Ian Richards?

Oops - I see I've been pipped again :mad:!

#2244 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 18:13

OK, I'll stay for a minute, just to say that N°41 is Hubert Rigal, before Mike "mfd" painted his helmet differently ;)

I think you're right. Is the guy at the back Graeme McGregor?

#2245 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 18:14

Originally posted by pmbboy

Bl**dy hell, Peter. Nobody but me is ever going to get that!!

#2246 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,034 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 18:16

Phil Landeg bringing up the rear :lol: (not Ian Richards!).

#2247 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,034 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 18:28

Thats a Mk3 Seeley with a Ducati mill of course (interesting mix!) - with a meaty looking front brake! But what intrugues me more is that peel-faired bike on the left. I'm thinking it may be the ex-Ken Hugget Senior MGP winning Manx Norton which was ridden at Bemsee meetings in 75/76 by a guy called Hopwood under the name of a Gomm Norton. That bike had a dark-blue fairing and a Seeley drum brake and was gorgeous!

#2248 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,779 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 18:28

Originally posted by pmbboy

That does look like a 70's Ducati single to me .....

I'll finally get my coat and head home

#2249 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 18:35

Originally posted by knickerbrook
Thats a Mk3 Seeley with a Ducati mill of course (interesting mix!) - with a meaty looking front brake! But what intrugues me more is that peel-faired bike on the left. I'm thinking it may be the ex-Ken Hugget Senior MGP winning Manx Norton which was ridden at Bemsee meetings in 75/76 by a guy called Hopwood under the name of a Gomm Norton. That bike had a dark-blue fairing and a Seeley drum brake and was gorgeous!

Barry, well spotted on the bike with the Peel fairing with the Seeley front brake. I never noticed it. Whilst I know what the Ducati enigined bike is, I don't think I've ever seen that pic before. and it does remind me how old I am. Wow, it looks like another age. pmbboy, give us the answer with a bit of background.

#2250 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 18:43

Yes to everone all correct, (said it was a quick one) I wondered if you would spot philanderer Barry,

and the second time today that Arnaud de Puniet has had a mention