Motorcycle racing; 1969-1990 nostalgia 1

• Please log in to reply
15100 replies to this topic

#4051 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:45

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer

Pilippe Bouzanne was French, according to my neighbour.
While my official domicile is still Zim, we (my wife and I) spend a lot of our time here in Switzerland where we have a house near Basel. By some twist of fate my next door neighbour is an former GP rider :up: (I won´t mention his name) and he assures me Bouzanne was a Frenchman, and not Swiss.

Thanks Rhodie, :up: :)

Advertisement

#4052 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:54

Who is this? strange knee protectors!! looks like holes in his leathers! :)
Posted Image
picture copyright Graham etheridge, racebikepics.

#4053 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:58

angel nieto?

#4054 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 13:00

Originally posted by renzo
angel nieto?

:clap: :clap: Four minutes!! Angel Nieto it is.

#4055 antony duprat

antony duprat

• 979 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 16:31

A pic from 1982/ P. Bouzanne, 500 TZ Yamaha at the french championship
Posted Image

#4056 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 19:00

ex Rhodie racer , please Check your pms :wave:

#4057 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 19:37

Originally posted by andyb1963
ex Rhodie racer , please Check your pms :wave:

Andyb I would if I knew how :lol: Maybe you can advise me?

#4058 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 19:47

Just click on user cp at the top of the page mate ;)

#4059 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 20:16

Andyb I would if I knew how :lol: Maybe you can advise me?

Like Andy says, go to User CP (user control panel) and, while you're in there, go to Edit Options and make sure that every setting is to your liking (one being getting an email whenever you receive a PM!).

How were you at setting-up your rebound and stuff, eRr...?!  ;)

Advertisement

#4060 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 20:33

Thank you for your help dear friend, but I am so thick when it comes to this computor stuff, it´s just not real. I know I´m going to get a laugh here, but what is, "setting up your rebound and stuff" mean.? :rotfl:

#4061 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:20

An easy one for some maybe! who is this well known rider?
Posted Image
Picture copyright Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#4062 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:08

Nice one Graham . Will leave it for the othes because I spent many hours woking on that particular bike . Have you got any more of him because , unfortunately my photo collection has been destroyed by my ex-wife ? What's that smell when you view the picture ? :confused:
Doh!!! it's castrol R of course .Mmmmmm :lol:

#4063 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:35

Thank you for your help dear friend, but I am so thick when it comes to this computor stuff, it´s just not real. I know I´m going to get a laugh here, but what is, "setting up your rebound and stuff" mean.? :rotfl:

I think he was referring to suspension set up. I think it was a "twinny" joke.

#4064 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:39

Nice one Graham . Will leave it for the othes because I spent many hours woking on that particular bike . Have you got any more of him because , unfortunately my photo collection has been destroyed by my ex-wife ? What's that smell when you view the picture ? :confused:

I think I've been around racing so long that I can permanently smell R!! I can illustrate that by telling you that the first time I saw this chap was at Cadwell where he was riding an Ossa single. Around 1970 I would say.

#4065 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:57

As soon as you mentioned the Ossa at Cadwell I know your on the right tack . ;)

#4066 fazz

fazz

• 278 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 13:07

Doh!!! it's castrol R of course .Mmmmmm :lol: Sounds like your ex wife has given you a real kick in the nasties destroying your photo collection they can play real dirty when they want too. My horse hasnt a clue where most of my stuff is or I dont think she has :eek: I remember once at Cadwell him really having a go at his mechanics around 1980 where you one? And was he calm most of the time or was that normal behaviour.

#4067 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 13:09

I think he was like most riders . He had his moments , some very funny tho :lol:

#4068 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 13:11

Originally posted by bigrog

I think he was referring to suspension set up. I think it was a "twinny" joke.

:rotfl: Well, I think I made my point then. I thought it was some kind of secret cumputer code talk or the like. Plain thick is not the word. :rotfl:

#4069 fazz

fazz

• 278 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 13:29

I think he was like most riders . He had his moments , some very funny tho :lol:

A good friend of mine who is involved in the racing industrie rang him to find out a decent hotel in thee area he would have none of it and insisted they stay with him where they had a great night so as you say yes he is only human :) I beleve he has John Williams ulster grand prix winning tr or tz in one of his bedrooms from around 1973.

#4070 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 13:43

[QUOTE]Originally posted by andyb1963
[B]Nice one Graham . Will leave it for the othes because I spent many hours woking on that particular bike . Have you got any more of him because , unfortunately my photo collection has been destroyed by my ex-wife ? What's that smell when you view the picture ? :confused:

When I put it up I knew it would be easy for a couple of you, especially you Andy!
He's got a racebike in the bedroom!! my wife had a pink fit when I wanted to put my bycle indoor turbo trainer in the bedroom!!
:D

As its obviously been guessed by at least three of you Andy, Roger and Mark, I shall tell and find a harder picture!! I am chuffed as it happens as I have found some negs that I thought had got lost for ever, got some good photos on them, going to scan them today.

Guess the rider is Neil Tuxworth on his TZ750 Yamaha.

#4071 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 13:59

I don't suppose it's in his bedoom but I believe he has one of the honda-6 replicas bult by John Weeden/Gorge Beale. :smoking:

#4072 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 14:03

One that springs to mind was his hatred of hairy toes :rotfl: He would insist that if you had hairy toes you had to shave them :rotfl:

#4073 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 14:27

Here you go Andy, put them somewhere safe!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
All pictures copyright Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#4074 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 14:34

Another "name" from up my way! he has/had a brother who is well known in Classic racing/journalism.
Posted Image

#4075 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 14:48

[QUOTE]Originally posted by picblanc
[B]

Here you go Andy, put them somewhere safe!!

Thanks very much Graham :kiss:

#4076 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,039 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 16:24

Here's another Tuxworth shot for Andy (previously posted, but in case you missed it). It's Neil on the "British Wicks" at Aberdare Park in the eighties. I don't know anything about the bike, perhaps someone else knows? I remember some Sanders guy (Terry?) doing well on Neil's alloy-framed TZ350 there around that time. I've always been intrigued by the number of riders who seemed to have stayed at Neil's place over the years - I wonder if he kept a visitor's book :lol:!
Of the Swallow brothers, I think this is Richard. There was also a Peter Swallow in the seventies who rode a 500 Manx, but not related apparently.

Posted Image

#4077 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 18:04

Originally posted by knickerbrook
Here's another Tuxworth shot for Andy (previously posted, but in case you missed it). It's Neil on the "British Wicks" at Aberdare Park in the eighties. I don't know anything about the bike, perhaps someone else knows? I remember some Sanders guy (Terry?) doing well on Neil's alloy-framed TZ350 there around that time. I've always been intrigued by the number of riders who seemed to have stayed at Neil's place over the years - I wonder if he kept a visitor's book :lol:!
Of the Swallow brothers, I think this is Richard. There was also a Peter Swallow in the seventies who rode a 500 Manx, but not related apparently.

Posted Image

It is Richard swallow Barry, :clap: :clap:

#4078 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 19:05

Originally posted by picblanc
Another "name" from up my way! he has/had a brother who is well known in Classic racing/journalism.

How about another Graham. I missed that.

I remember Richard from my own racing days when he was racing a Seeley in Single Cylinder races. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he's with us any longer.

I see his brother Bill's son, Chris is starting to go very well in Classic events now as well.

#4079 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 19:08

How about another Graham. I missed that.

I remember Richard from my own racing days when he was racing a Seeley in Single Cylinder races. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he's with us any longer.

I see his brother Bill's son, Chris is starting to go very well in Classic events now as well.

yes I think that is sadly true Roger, I dont think he is around anymore.
I am right that Bill is the classic racer magazine guy?.

Advertisement

#4080 pmbboy

pmbboy

• 265 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 19:11

Looking at the pics of Neil Tuxworth, any one know who the rider on the Konig is?
cheers
Peter

#4081 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 19:12

yes I think that is sadly true Roger, I dont think he is around anymore.
I am right that Bill is the classic racer magazine guy?.

Absolutely, the same chap.

#4082 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 19:21

Originally posted by pmbboy
Looking at the pics of Neil Tuxworth, any one know who the rider on the Konig is?
cheers
Peter

Yes, Peter. I thought the same thing.It looks like a Kim Newcombe Konig but obviously not Kim.

Do you remember the story Kork told us about Kim and the shape of the petrol tank on the Konig.

The Kim Newcombe Konig had sculpted curves and the area where your arms go when you're flat on the tank fitted Kim perfectly. Kork was very friendly with Kim and asked how he did such a fantastic job of matching the cut outs with his arms. N problem, Kim said, I wrapped 'wet and dry' round my forearms and sanded the model until it was perfect!! Ah, the lengths some people go to.

Kim was a sad loss and it reminds me of Graham's comments in a previous post, "the 70's were pretty unhealthy too".

#4083 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 19:27

Who is this rider,? a regular at Nationals and Internationals in the UK in the early to late 70's.
Posted Image

#4084 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 19:38

Yes, Peter. I thought the same thing.It looks like a Kim Newcombe Konig but obviously not Kim.

Do you remember the story Kork told us about Kim and the shape of the petrol tank on the Konig.

The Kim Newcombe Konig had sculpted curves and the area where your arms go when you're flat on the tank fitted Kim perfectly. Kork was very friendly with Kim and asked how he did such a fantastic job of matching the cut outs with his arms. N problem, Kim said, I wrapped 'wet and dry' round my forearms and sanded the model until it was perfect!! Ah, the lengths some people go to.

Kim was a sad loss and it reminds me of Graham's comments in a previous post, "the 70's were pretty unhealthy too".

Here he is, its Brian Wackett, who rode I belive in late 60's through 70's.
I used to come across him often in the local builders merchants in and around Epping in the 80's he lived near Epping, I always wanted to ask him about his racing, but was to shy at the time!! :blush:
Have any of you bought that newish Kim Newcombe DVD and if so is it worth getting?
Posted Image

Posted Image
All pictures Copyright Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#4085 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,039 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 20:27

Re. the rider in the white leathers - the only one that springs to mind is Gary Carter (white leathers) but I think he was around later?

#4086 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 21:00

Who is this rider,? a regular at Nationals and Internationals in the UK in the early to late 70's.

I don´t know the rider, but I do know the fellow in the foreground. His name is Norman White and i met him when he came out to South Africa with Ray Pickrel (spelling) and Paul Smart. He worked for Triumph/BSA at the time and was, I think, Ray P´s. mechanic. I seldom forget a face :)

#4087 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 23:06

Originally posted by knickerbrook
Re. the rider in the white leathers - the only one that springs to mind is Gary Carter (white leathers) but I think he was around later?

:clap: :clap: It is Barry!

#4088 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 23:08

I don´t know the rider, but I do know the fellow in the foreground. His name is Norman White and i met him when he came out to South Africa with Ray Pickrel (spelling) and Paul Smart. He worked for Triumph/BSA at the time and was, I think, Ray P´s. mechanic. I seldom forget a face :)

He produces Norton replicas now the blue John Player type, he still races classic bikes.

#4089 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:00

Originally posted by pmbboy
cheers
Peter

Could it be Mick Kent ?

#4090 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:57

Here's a website with references to Canadian motorcycle history:

http://www.modernmot...com/ted/ted.htm

More information here from friend Roy Allan:

About four years
after Ted Havens raced at the Isle of Man TT, a friend of mine, Pete
Kellond, raced there and I think he did quite well. By 1959 he was a
regular at Westwood and had raced at Silverstone and Daytona too. He
has some of his photos on the web at
http://www.kellond.org/ca01-1pk.htm.

#4091 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:26

Could it be Mick Kent ?

had you been out on the Razz last night Andy, it is Brian wackett ;) :)

#4092 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:25

had you been out on the Razz last night Andy, it is Brian wackett ;) :)

Oops :blush:

#4093 Senor

Senor

• 26 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:56

Have any of you bought that newish Kim Newcombe DVD and if so is it worth getting?

Graham - yes, I have this DVD. The racing scenes are shot mostly by Janeen Newcombe with a home movie camera. Considering this, it is very good quality. The Director however has left out important detail regarding other riders but I can't say that any part is inaccurate merely that it has a bias towards Kim's situation (obviously).

It does contain excellent interviews with Ballington, Mortimer, Read, Dodds and the Konig's. There is also an interesting story with Rod Tingate on the restoration of the bike. It ends sadly as Janeen Newcombe passed away before the films release. Throughout the movie she appeared somewhat lost and unable to cope after Kim's death. Overall then, I would recommend it as a great record of the era.

#4094 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 15:56

Originally posted by Senor

Graham - yes, I have this DVD. The racing scenes are shot mostly by Janeen Newcombe with a home movie camera. Considering this, it is very good quality. The Director however has left out important detail regarding other riders but I can't say that any part is inaccurate merely that it has a bias towards Kim's situation (obviously).

It does contain excellent interviews with Ballington, Mortimer, Read, Dodds and the Konig's. There is also an interesting story with Rod Tingate on the restoration of the bike. It ends sadly as Janeen Newcombe passed away before the films release. Throughout the movie she appeared somewhat lost and unable to cope after Kim's death. Overall then, I would recommend it as a great record of the era.

Many thanks for that senor, what a sad end to a sad story, I will treat myself just to enjoy some of that era again though. :up:

#4095 zenz

zenz

• 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 17:33

Hi!

Just scrolled trough the thread and I was really astonished by the knowledge around there. Maybe you can also help me with a question.

I am searching for Information on the Bol d'Or of 1959, I would be especially interested in the winner of the 250ccm class and which bike he rode back then.

If you even have picture it would be perfect, but just some opinions are also enough for me!

Thx,

Vinzenz

#4096 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 17:56

Originally posted by zenz
Hi!

Just scrolled trough the thread and I was really astonished by the knowledge around there. Maybe you can also help me with a question.

I am searching for Information on the Bol d'Or of 1959, I would be especially interested in the winner of the 250ccm class and which bike he rode back then.

If you even have picture it would be perfect, but just some opinions are also enough for me!

Thx,

Vinzenz

I wouldn't have known this but I refer to this absolutely fantastic French site that has been mentioned before.

http://racingmemo.fr.....ANCE 1959.htm

#4097 zenz

zenz

• 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 19:13

Thanks for the perfect fast reply!

:clap:

#4098 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 20:45

Who is this?
Posted Image

#4099 bigrog

bigrog

• 383 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 21:07

Who is this?
Posted Image

That's Stu Avant when he first came to Europe sponsored by the Suzuki dealer in Christchurch, New Zealand, Tommy McCleary.

Advertisement

#4100 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 21:15

That's Stu Avant when he first came to Europe sponsored by the Suzuki dealer in Christchurch, New Zealand, Tommy McCleary.

:clap: :clap: It is Roger.
P.S. cats and pigeons come to mind on the new thread!! :lol: