Photo

African racing

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:49

I have been wondering if you chaps have any knowledge or first hand experience of circuit motor racing in African countries. South Africa, Southern Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and Angola are not of interest here, since racing has been fairly well documented in these three countries.

I am particularly thinking of countries like Kenya, Northern Rhodesia (Zambia), Congo, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Madagascar and even Eritrea.

Racing was pretty organised in Kenya and the Nakuru circuit being a popular venue. I believe there was another circuit in Kenya with the name of Eldoret. I believe that someone like D-type can perhaps tell us more…What is the situation today? Do they still race in Kenya?

The same can be asked of a country like Zambia. They had a circuit at Ndola and at one stage there was about six motor sport clubs in that country. The Copperbelt region with towns like Ndola, Mufulira, Kitwe hosting most of the racing fraternity.

I believe Ethiopia hosted a sportscar race the “Ethiopian Grand Prix” in 1954. Any information on this race? Results, where it took place, etc?

The Congo saw races at Kalina on the late fifties, when the Belgians were still active. Were these races documented at all?

Finally in Eritrea they raced at Asmara and in Madagascar in the capitol, Antananarivo.

Hopefully someone can recall some of these venues.

Advertisement

#2 llmaurice

llmaurice

• 431 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:09

Leopoldville GP 1958
My memeory of this race was the Ecurie Nationale Belge sent a heavy Ferrari team ,the only opposition being various sports cars form "local" area plus one Pierre Berchem in the ex. Alan Stacey Lotus XV . According to the Belgian newspaper "Le Sport" , after various dramas , Berchem was announced the winner with a Triumph TR in second place.
The following week , the cars were at Luanda but all I know is that Pierres Lotus suffered transmission problems.

#3 Hugo Boecker

Hugo Boecker

• 702 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:29

I think the North African pre war races and the South African are very well documented compared to the middle.
During colonism there was a lot of racing on this continent, mostly some European "Travel Racers" against the local boys. And some times a boy from the colonies came back to home soil just as Jo Schlesser who was a racer in France till he emereged to Madagaskar and came back in 1959. during his period on this island he became Champion de Madagascar with his red Mercedes 300 SL. But we know little of this.

German Wolfgang seidel traveled to Angola in 1960 and came 2nd with his Porsche RSK And during winter (European) 60/61 he raced again down under with his friend Taffy von Trips in the South African F1 Races.

Some years there was the Kapstadt endurance raid and we know only a little of it.

My knowledge of "Racing Africa" is reduced to the what is written in Book on european makes are some reports in papers.

#4 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:48

Originally posted by Hugo Boecker

Some years there was the Kapstadt endurance raid and we know only a little of it.

I take that this was a long distance event that finished in Cape Town?? Can recall something like this in the 60's. OK, there was also the Paris-Le Cap of a few years ago. Both in the genre of Rally-Endurance raids, then.

This is a bit off the topic, since I am more interested in circuit races and like you've said, Hugo, it is the central African countries that interest me the most. Very little seems to be known. Circuit diagrams of places like Nakuru, Eldoret, Ndola, Kalina, etc. surely must exist somewhere, surely in the hands of the old "colonials" or some of their ancestors. I guess this is one for our Belgian, French and British friends on TNF ....perhaps you had or still have contacts in those countries.

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 19:40

There are a few results from French West African races of the 50s in GP Racing Facts & Figures - only first three places and basics though. Plus maybe a bit more in this thread about Dakar and Agadir:

http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=65424

#6 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 22:18

It is several years since I left Kenya so I have no idea what the present racing scene is.

I can't add much to this older thread regarding Nakuru.

Kenya's second track was at Embakasi, a suburb of Nairobi. I doubt very much that there was a track at Eldoret - the town is too small and too far from the centre of things (Nairobi).

Sorry I can't add anything more.

#7 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 23:46

Originally posted by llmaurice
Leopoldville GP 1958
My memory of this race was the Ecurie Nationale Belge sent a heavy Ferrari team ,the only opposition being various sports cars form "local" area plus one Pierre Berchem in the ex. Alan Stacey Lotus XV . According to the Belgian newspaper "Le Sport" , after various dramas , Berchem was announced the winner with a Triumph TR in second place.

The following week , the cars were at Luanda but all I know is that Pierres Lotus suffered transmission problems.

Paul Frere devotes a chapter to this race in My Life Full of Cars . He says that the Equipe National Belge entry comprised himself in their Ferrari 250 TR and "an old 4.1 litre 'America' Touring Superleggera Berlinetta lent by 'Blary', brother of the better-known 'Beurlys' (in reality Jean Blaton), who hoped that the car would be sold locally after the race. It was to be driven by Alain de Changy"

In the race both Ferraris retired. A late entry was a Belgian driver, Pierre Berchem in a Lotus XI (not a XV according to Frere), who started from the rear as he had not practised. With the demise of the Ferraris he was the winner from a mixed field of Austin Healeys, Triumph TR2s and TR3s, Porsche 1600s, an 850cc Dyna Panhard and a 750cc Fat Abarth.

The race was over 120 laps of a 1.5 mile circuit and Frere retired on lap 106 with a rear axle failure.

#8 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:26

Many thanks for your contributions.

I found the thread on Nakuru most interesting and also the names of drivers being mentioned. In an old copy of CLASSIC CAR AFRICA (July 1999), I found a very short article on racing in Kenya, as well as a couple of photos of competitors.

I quote from this article that was written by Andrew Reed:

"The Nakuru track lay in a natural amphitheatre in the Rift Valley area, north-west of Nairobi, and according to Keith Jenner, who raced at the circuit, it had some fast bits and some tricky corners. Kenya's other race track lay further north, at Eldoret.

The East African motor sport fraternity (early 1960's, it seems) boasted a variety of pukka sports and racing machines. They included a Mercedes Benz Gullwing, two Elvas, a Porsche Spyder, Porsche Speedsters, a Jaguar D-type and a Lotus 15.

The photos show the following drivers in action: Ray Carling, Lucille Cardwell, Vic Preston, Dave Edwards, Roger King, Beau Younghusband, Ian Harper.

D-type, perhaps some of these names will bring back some memories.

Was there really an Ethiopian Grand Prix during the 1950's?? Perhaps a few Italian gentlemen having some fun in their fast cars...but, then again, by that time all Italians must have left this country. Didn't Italy's involvement in Ethiopia ended during WW2?

#9 llmaurice

llmaurice

• 431 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:42

Berchems Lotus was DEFINITELY a XV ! I was the fellow who looked after it !

#10 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:49

Originally posted by llmaurice
Berchems Lotus was DEFINITELY a XV ! I was the fellow who looked after it !

There's no substitute for first hand experience. I was going on Paul Frere's book.

#11 Hugo Boecker

Hugo Boecker

• 702 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 14:17

There were 3 races at Leopoldville as far as I know

1956 won by Cabral
1958 sept. 7th won by Berchem's Lotus
1959 sept. 6th won by Goethals Porsche RSK
1960 sept. 4th annulé

The first race to be very less noticed. The two other editions are relative popolar with the Ecurie Francorchamps entries.

#12 llmaurice

llmaurice

• 431 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 15:56

I'd like to be able to comment further on the "Leopoldville Grand Prix " but 2 days before he left Berchem informed me that my Congo jabs hadn't arrived so he would have to go on his own !
Needless to say , an Anglo Belgian disagreement followed and by the time Berchem reappeared in Bruxelles I was back in England .

#13 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:20

A compatriot of mine, Patrick O'Brien, was hoping to publish a book on racing in Africa, that included countries like Angola, Zambia, the Congo, Kenya, etc. Finding a publisher seemed to shipwrecked his ambitions. I wrote to him about two years ago to find out about his efforts, but never received an answer from him.

Rather a shame, that nothing has come of this, since O'Brien seems to be a very thorough chap when it comes to research, something that I know from magazine articles that he has written over the years for domestic motoring magazines.

I read somewhere that there was a circuit in Kenya, that previously functioned as a horse racing course. The circuit was a mixture of dirt and tarmac roads. Was this not perhaps Eldoret?

Was the Leopoldville GP hosted on city streets or on a permanent circuit? I believe there was also racing in Jadotville in the Congo??

#14 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:00

The horseracing course was earlier (late forties to early fifties). The original racecourse in Nairobi was sort of to the east of the town. There is a road called Racecourse Road (or there was thirty years ago) that recalls this. The horse racing moved to a new course at Ngong, north west of the city where it still is. What I think happened was that they took the opportunity to run at least one motor race meeting on the old racecourse before the site was redeveloped. I have a very vague memory of attending a meeting there some time between 1952 to 1954 (I would have been about six). The track was dirt.

This would have been contemporary with the Langa Langa circuit, a 3.3 mile circuit on tarmac roads (originally built by the military I think) on the farm of a Mr Scholes near Gilgil.

The Nakuru circuit was a purpose built 1.3 mile tarmac circuit near Nakuru. this opened about 1955. Rather than being a 'natural amphitheatre', which implies a bowl shape, the track was on the flat plain on the slopes of a hill (Honeymoon Hill?). The hill was a sort of single hill poking out of the flat Rift Valley floor. The effect was the same as an amphitheatre - excellent viewing. From the stand towards the top of the hill and the enclosure in front of it it was possible to see the whole track. Andrew Reed's cars are much as I recall, plus a couple of others - a Lotus XX, an Alta-Jaguar, a Silverstone Healey, a Le Mans Replica Frazer Nash, the Le Gallais Special, etc . Some of the names ring a bell. Lucille Cardwell was champion in 1960 and 1961 in the Porsche, Vic Preston in 1962 in the Lotus XX. I somehow associate the name Ray Carling with a Volvo and Beau Younghusband with motorcycles before graduating to a Cortina GT. the other names ring no bells. This is the track I remember from my childhood.

The Embakasi track, just outside Nairobi, opened as a dirt track about 1966 or 67 and was surfaced with tarmac about a year later when there was some money in the kitty. I left Kenya for university in UK in 1966 and left for good in 1969 and this just comes into my era - one meeting as a dirt track and one after it was surfaced.

I have no recollection of a track at Eldoret. It must have been after 1969

edit: minor updates correcting a couple of facts

#15 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:22

Originally posted by D-Type
Some of the names ring a bell. Lucille Cardwell was champion in 1960 and 1961 in the Porsche, Vic Preston in 1962 in the Lotus XX. Isomehow associate the name Ray Carling with a Volvo and Beau Younghusband with motorcycles before graduating to a Cortina GT. the other names ring no bells.

I have no recollection of a track at Eldoret. It must have been after 1969.

Thanks for your recollections.

The photos that I mentioned that was published in CCA show Carwell in a Porsche Spyder, Preston in a Lotus 20, Carling in his Volvo Amazon and Younghusband in a Ford Zephyr.

Your memories is thus still pretty good.

Maybe, Andrew Reed, made an error with regards to Eldoret. Must have mistaken it for one of the other circuits in Kenya that you mentiond.

Apart from SA, Southern Rhodesia and perhaps Angola and Mozambique, it therefore seems that racing in Kenya and Congo were the most active in the Central and southern parts of this continent.

This leaves me with question - what happend in the following countries:

Madagascar
Ethiopia
Eritrea

#16 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 14:16

I remembered This site which relates to a period slightly earlier than my memories.

So there was a track at Eldoret, albeit a grass track. And the Nakuru circuit mentioned on the site predates the one I knew.

Edit: URL updated

#17 axlex

axlex

• 40 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 18:55

For Hieronymusand others who are interested about Congo Races.

I Grand Prix Automobile de Leopoldville

September 2nd of 1956

27 entries.

First Race (Winner go to final race) :

G.T. Category :
1. Emile DURAY (Porsche 356)

Tourism Category :
1. Jules DETANDT (Fiat TV)
2. A.FERREIRA DE CARMO (Volkswagen)
3. Antonio MONTEIRO (Fiat 1400)
4. Gérard COHEN (Renault)
5. Bernard FANIEL (Peugeot 403)
6. CORREIA DE FREITAS (DKW)

ret. Robert DARVILLE (DKW)
ret. Hermani VIANA (DKW)
ret. DE MATOS PEREIRA (Volkswagen)
ret. José BARBOSA E SILVA (Fiat TV)

Final :

1. Alvaro CABRAL (Ford)
2. Emile DURAY (Porsche 356)
3. Major Duncan SMITH (Jaguar M.VII)
4. DOS SANTOS BRANCO (Ford)
5. Michel GORDE (Austin A90)
6. Joseph SORCO (Peugeot 203S)

ret. Pierre HANON (Triumph FRZ)
ret. Tebaldo BOSSI (Austin Healey)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

II Grand Prix Automobile de Leopoldville

September 7th of 1958

1. Pierre BERCHEM (Lotus XV #18)
2. Robert DARVILLE (Triumph TR #1)
3. Armand SPINETTE (Triumph TR #4)
4. Charles PIRON (Porsche #2)
5. Phil ZWICK (Jaguar XK150 #16)
6. Eddy SCHMIDT (Alfa Roméo Guilietta#11)
7. Alain BERNARD (Panhard)
8. CASTELLIER (Fiat Abarth #17)

ret. Didier COUNE (Porsche #5)
ret. Alberto GROSSO (Fiat Abarth #6)
ret. Paul FRERE (Ferrari TR #7)
ret. Alain DE CHANGY (Ferrari 4.1 #8)
ret. Joseph SORCO (Austin Healey #9)
ret. Tebaldo BOSSI (Austin Healey #10)
ret. COREIRO (Fiat Abarth #15)

DNA Jean ANDRE (Talbot-Lago #14)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

III Grand Prix Automobile de Leopoldville

September 6th of 1959

Saturday Race :

1. Robert DARVILLE (Porsche Carrera #21)
2. Armand SPINETTE (Porsche Carrera #22) 1 lap behind
3. Gérard MARTIN (Porsche 1600Super #23) 2 laps
4. Manuel NUNES (Triumph TR3 #25) 3 laps
5. Ed DE DONCQUERS (Triumph TR3 #24) 4 laps
6. João ALVES (Jaguar XK140 #17) 5 laps
7. A.FERREIRA DO CARMO (Triumph TR3 #16) 8 laps
8. LOMBORG (Jaguar 2,4L #30) 8 laps
9. Joseph SORCO (Austin Healey #26) 13 laps
10. A.M. RODRIGUES (Austin Healey #15) 16 laps

ret. Falvio SANTOS (Austin Healey #18)
ret. Costa MACEDO (MGA Twin Cam #19)
ret. Hélène LAFFAY (Triumph TR3 #20)

Fastest Lap : Robert DARVILLE (Porsche Carrera #21) [108,763 Km/h]

Race for Under 1300cm3 :

1. Jean ANDRE (Dauphine Gordini #27)

Race for "Racers" :

1. Bernard ALAIN (Zeus #33)
2. Pierre DARRIEU (D.S. #32)

DNA Antonio MONTEIRO (Racer PM #31)

Sunday Race :

1. Christian GOETHALS (Porsche RSK #3) 2h43'04
2. John LOVE (Jaguar D-Type #4) 4 laps behind
3. André PILETTE (Ferrari TR #10) 4 laps
4. Michael BOND (Aston Martin DB3S #2) 5 laps
5. Alvaro LOPES (Maserati 300S #12) 7 laps
6. George PFAFF (Lotus 1100 #6) 8 laps
7. Robert DARVILLE (Porsche Carrera #21) 11 laps
8. ROMAIN (Lotus 1100 #11) 13 laps
9. Gérard MARTIN (Porsche 1600Super #23) 16 laps
10. Ed DE DONCQUERS (Triumph TR3 #24) 16 laps
11. João ALVES (Jaguar XK140S #17) 18 laps
12. Manuel NUNES (Triumph TR3 #25) 18 laps

ret. Costa MACEDO (MGA Twin Cam #19)
ret. Sebastiao GOUVEIA (Ferrari 2L #8)
ret. Curt LINCOLN (Cooper Monaco #1)
ret. G.MAC PHEARSON (Austin Healey Sebring #5)
ret. A.FERREIRA DO CARMO (Triumph TR3 #16)

DNA Eric GLASBY (Ace Bristol #7)
DNA Moraìs SARMENTO (Ferrari #9)

IV Grand Prix Automobile de Leopoldville

September 4th of 1960

Canceled because of the civil war for independance of Congo.

#18 Joe Nix

Joe Nix

• 38 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 00:47

prior thread on Africa racing has some I posted for Eritrea:

http://forums.atlasf...?threadid=57421

#19 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:29

Thanks axlex

Do you perhaps have any maps or details of the circuit in Leopoldville? Do you perhaps know more of the races at Kalina?

Advertisement

#20 axlex

axlex

• 40 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:49

Originally posted by Hieronymus
Thanks axlex

Do you perhaps have any maps or details of the circuit in Leopoldville? Do you perhaps know more of the races at Kalina?

Posted Image
Leopoldville Track in 1956
Lenght : +/- 14.000 m.
Clockwise
First Race : 8 laps.
Second Race : 10 laps.

Posted Image
Leopoldville Track in 1958
Lenght : 2.430 m.
Clockwise
Race : 120 laps.

#21 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:43

Many thanks indeed!. I'll email you with regards to reports, etc.

#22 rbm

rbm

• 336 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:09

whilst try to find some info on our ex-Kenya 1948 Cooper Mk2, I have spoken to a number of Drivers who were racing these 500's/formula 3 cars in Kenya in the 1950's-1970's. anyway my list of these drivers/cars is:

Gunter and Rodney Sachs -
Martin Norton
2 x Copper JAP mk3
Cooper JAP mk7
Cooper Norton mk5

Chris Bates -
Cooper JAP mk2 [1]
Cooper Norton mk4(?)
later raced formula vee

David Beckett -
Cooper JAP mk2 [1]
won 1961 safari, raced TR's and jag C etc.
now races Norton ex TT Bikes

Vic Preston -
Cooper JAP mk3 [2]

Bob Gerrish -
Cooper JAP mk3[2]
won East African Hill Climb Championship 3 times

Peter Sheperd -
Kieft Norton

Don King -
Cooper mk3

Ron Richardson & Monty Banks (shared ownership?) -
Cooper mk7

Colin Hay -
Cooper JAP mk5 1200cc V-twin.

Bill Frithy -
Cooper JAP mk?
ex safari winer

Chris Little -
Cooper Jap mk?

this list is built up from the memories of a number people who were there and may have errors and I'm sure plenty of ommisions - anyone care to add to it? the suffix [number] is to show know route of cars changing hands.
I must have a dig at home as I have a number of race programs form the 50/60's for Kenya.

#23 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 20:34

I never realised there were so many!

A few additions/corrections

Vic Preston (senior) - Safari winner 1954 (VW) 1955 (Ford Zephyr), both co-driving with SP Marwaha; Safari 2nd (Cortina GT) and 1967 (Lotus Cortina) - both co-driving with Bob Gerrish. Kenya track driving champion in 1962 (Lotus XX) and possibly in other years

Peter Shepherd (spelling)

Bill Fritschy (spelling) - Safari winner 1959 & 1960 (Mercedes 219)

Peter Huth also raced a Cooper at one time - I think his was Norton engined

Edit: Typos

#24 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:34

I have a copy of CLASSIC CAR AFRICA that has got a whole page of photos showing competitors in Kenya. Not sure if I must put it here, due to TNFs copyright policy...

Anyone interested, though, let me know and I'll email it to you.

#25 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:12

TNF doesn't have a specific copyright policy, AFAIK, apart from the law

#26 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:50

Originally posted by David McKinney
TNF doesn't have a specific copyright policy, AFAIK, apart from the law

That is my problem. I have no legal background, so I am just careful...ignorance is no excuse before the court...even in Africa!!

#27 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 23:38

A few more details on Kenya's Langa Langa track:

Langa Langa opened on Easter Monday (March 26th) 1951. It was a 3.347 mile tarmac track with 7 corners, originally built during WW2 for training lorry drivers. There were 29 entries for the first meeting, of which just five were considered to be anywhere near competition models: a Jaguar, a Healey, an Allard, an Allard, an HRG and a supercharged MG. The MG crashed "with fatal results". A local Indian enthusiast brought a home-brewed supercharged Ford V8 and two standard Peugeot 203s arrived from Uganda in the hands of beturbanned Indian (Sikh?) drivers.

At the second meeting (no date, but possibly late 1951) a policeman called Richardson set a lap record of 70.60mph with an Allard. The bikes were even faster, with a lap of 78.44mph!

Source: BRDC Silver Jubilee Book

#28 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 21:35

I've found this description of the Langa Langa track Langa Langa on a school website.

#29 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:01

Last night I posted an entry on the 'A Kenyan track called Nakuru' thread about a couple of tracks in Zambia that my folks took me to between 1970 and 1977 and thought I might need to wait a couple of years for a reply, thanks to Terry Walker we now have an image of the Ndola Circuit which seems to be mainly used for dirt bike racing these days.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ndola Motor Racing Circuit which appears to now carry the name Ndola Motopark.

Encouraged by the improved quality of the Google images, since I first looked a couple of years ago, I had another look for the circuit I thought was at Chambishi only to find that it is at Chingola within sight of the mine operations which is the detail that stood out in my memory.

Posted Image

Chingola Motor Racing Circuit.

I have just done a google search on it and turned up this absolute gem of a website
by the daughter of Eric Evans, who it would appear was instrumental in building the Chingola circuit along with a Triumph Special to race on it with a fair amount of success. You need to scroll halfway down the page to hear about how Mr Evans came to build the track and see some priceless pics of his exploits on it.

If you have never been to Africa the whole page is worth the read, reminds me very much of my first trip to Zambia in 1969.

At the risk of repeating myself I'll recap :

My folks took me to several races between 1970 and 1977 the first was at Ndola in 1970.

We were living in the copperbelt Mufulira then Luanshya, I think we might have visited 3 tracks near Ndola, Kitwe and Chingola, tough seeing as the Ndola track is just off the Ndola Kitwe Road maybe we went to the same track from different directions at different times.

Most of the events featured races for cars and bikes.

The cars I remember were a beige Mini with white roof driven very quickly by my mums boss who's name included 'George', a very noisy GP2 Purple Anglia, a Green Fiat 850 Coupe, a purple Formula Ford and FF2000 and lastly a 2 (?) litre Alfa powered GP6 like sports car (like a Abarth/Chevron/Lola) it was red with no front lights and later after a hefty airborne shunt somewhere round the back of the Ndola track the car appeared with a red and silver paint job, I seem to remember it was owned by a couple of (Italian ?) brothers who had a fabrication workshop in Kitwe ?

I also remember seeing Sanwat Singh's Datsun 1600 sss rally car but I think that was in the pits rather than on track.

I was only 10 - 17 at this time and needless to say someway from owning my own camera and whatever records I kept got lost somewhere in the move back to Europe.

Feels a bit like sending a message in a bottle so if you read this anytime over the next few years I'll still be thrilled to hear what anybody else can remember from those times :-) Even more so if you have any more pictures :-)

Edited by arttidesco, 11 May 2010 - 12:20.

#30 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 22:10

East German magazine "Radsport Express" - which did cover also motorsport events - reports on a race in Cameroon in 1950:

"Douala - In conjunction with the automobile exhibition in the capital of Cameroon a new racetrack was introduced. On the very twisted circuit of 10 km length one lap was to be done. In the class up to 2000 cc winner was Guerpillou (Citroen) in 7:40 (78.2 km/h), whil in the class over 2000 cc Suarez (Citroen) achieved an average of 91.8 km/h in 6:32.1"

(freely translated from the issue of 25th April 1950)

#31 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 18:45

Sounds like Cameroon had it's own Nurburgring :-)

#32 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 23:17

Since I last posted on this page, thrilled to have found the two circuits at Ndola and Chingola which I visited on occasion from 1970 - 1977, I have come across names for the circuits with the aid of The Great North Road website.

The Ndola Circuit appears to have been called Bennett's Speedway, I have no idea who 'Bennett' might have been and it would of course be thrilling to find out who this pioneer of Zambian racing was or just possibly still is ?

The circuit just north of the Chingola mine workings appears to have been called the Lawrence Allen circuit not hundred percent sure which way Allen is spelt, a South African accent might have crept in to it :-)

No idea who Lawrence Allen might have been either no mention is made of him on the website that mentions Eric Evans who contributed to building the Chingola circuit which seems to have first been known prior to independence as Garneton.

Garneton it is suggested was the first Road course in, then, Northern Rhodesia, it is possible that the name was changed from Garneton to Lawrence Allen soon after Zambian independence in 1964 because Garneton had some colonial connotation which Lawrence Allen did not, any one with any clues, please fill us in :-)

Not only do I now have names for the tracks but from the same Great North Road website, but I also found some priceless photographs, i think there are 58,000 posts on the GNR site no idea how many more un linked or un titled pix I might turn up :-) Since I am in all cases unable to contact the copyright holders below are the links to the photographs.

First up some photo's of kart racers, I confess I have absolutely zero recollection of kart racing in Zambia I remember the motorbikes and I remember the cars, it is pretty inconceivable that the karts held their own meeting's there were unlikely to have been that many karters in the first place, total population of Zambia was around 4 million at the time, and most of those living close to the bread line. Those who were in a position to afford to race anything at all would all have been familiar with one another in a close racing community.

Any way here are the links to the pics posted by Shiene Fisher of karting action from the Lawrence Allen Circuit.

Twin Engined kart

Above L-R Dan (of AMD Motor Spares Chingola) & Alan Fisher with a twin engined kart.

3 karts

Above Alan Fisher Snr, Ollie Price and Brian Canterbury.

3 karts

Above two unnamed drivers

BMW & Spyder

And finally above a photo I am particularly excited about from Mike Wilson featuring a BMW 2002 (?) being driven by Bob Palmary AND what looks like the Alfa Romeo GP6 type sports car I mentioned in post #29 http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=4338630 at the Bennets Speedway track.

Nearly 40 years after last seeing the little spider I'll grant it could be a home built special but I am really curious to know if anyone recognises the type and who was driving it ? It looks as though it was in it's mostly red paintwork which according to my memory is pre 1974 but I'd take a second opinion.

Look forward to seeing if any one else can come up with any further details.

To recap the list of the members of the Northern Rhodesian/Zambian racing community I am trying to contact and or find out about reads :-

Eric Evans, chairman Nchanga Motor Sports Club, co founding father of Garneton (later Lawrence Allen) Circuit outside Chingola - Northern Rhodesia's first tarmac race track. Builder of a single seat Triumph Special raced on dirt until he used it to win the first ever race on tarmac the first Vic Paulsen Trophy (possibly 25 lap open handicap races) at Garneton. Also winner of the second Vic Paulsen Trophy race.

Ken Hill co builder of Garneton (later Lawrence Allen) Circuit

Bill Leyland of Kitwe who came in second half a lap behind Evans in the inaugural Vic Paulsen Trophy Race.

Eric Evans daughter and or family who wrote and or furnished all of the details about Garneton on her website

Blithe Spirit at http://www.beep.com/...rose/zambia.htm

Then there is Bob Palmary driver of the BMW 2002 at Bennet's Speedway, Ndola

Mike Wilson from the Great North Road website who supplied the photograph of Bob Palmary

Who are the karters ?

Brothers Dan & Alan Fisher possibly of Chingola

Ollie Price and Brian Canterbu

Sheine Fisher of Warner Beach, Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa

Who were the tracks - Garneston (later after independence Lawrence Allen) Circuit and Bennets Speedway - named after ?

Finally who was the prestigious Vic Paulsen Trophy named after ?

If there is anyone out there who can fill in the gaps I look forward to your contributions :-)

#33 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:33

I don't want to sound discouraging, but having been a member of the forum for almost ten years, I think you're the only person who's shown any knowledge of racing in Northern Rhodesia/Zambia. We've been a little more successful with Southern Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, but very little mention of anything further north

But good luck anyway :wave:

#34 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:52

Thanks for your observations David, I have just skimmed a whole load more info from the Great North Road Website and was going to join ..... BUT ... The Great North Road Website is dormant the info is accessible (all 59,000 posts plus photos) but it is impossible to contact the posters. Hopefully regular updates here on the Northern Rhodesian / Zambian racing scene might just be enough noise for some folks to come forward.

The latest update is that Garneton is actually down the road from Chingola just outside Kitwe and it would appear that the Vic Paulsen Trophy may have been run on a street course in Garneton, could be this course was on mine property any way if anybody has any info or pictures about the Vic Paulsen Trophy which was run at least three times and won twice by Eric Evans please get in touch.

Vic Paulsen after whom the Trophy Eric Evans won was named seems to have been part of a family who had a dirt track used for racing (?) on their plot of land, the Paulsens seem to have been real party animals apparently the safest place on this plot of land on November 5th was in the swimming pool, under the water !

It appears Chingola did indeed have a separate karting track on the mine training grounds to Lawrence Allen (or Allan) circuit in the Google map in post 29 above, can any one help me find the mine driver training grounds in Chingola where this karting track was to be found ?

I have also found out that Lawrence Allen (or Allan) was the Nchanga (Chingola?) Mine general manager who died in 1958. presumably this death was unexpected since Lawrence's cooks family appear to have been worried for their jobs as a result.

In 2009 the Lawrence Allen Circuit re opend for use as a venue for a off road motorbikes, the first time the venue had been used in 18 years, which suggest racing motor cars stopped at Lawrence Allen as late as 1991. Can any one confirm this date and tell us what the last Races to be held were ?

Bob Palmary driver of the BMW 2002 seems to have been the owner of Grand Prix Motors in Kitwe which he ran with Paul Rocher they were also involved with preparing Rally cars with an employee called Robin Williams who was last heard of in the United States and is the source of much of this latest information.

The name Dr Hanford has cropped up in connection with a Lotus Cortina he imported to Zambia to race.

I have a whole lot of information on the Zambian Motorcycle racing scene, Satwant Singh who was a 7 time African Rally Champion, and the rest of the Zambian Rally scene, including a Bristol 401 (!), which I'll post separately when i have collated it all into something comprehensible :-)

Certainly this will be a tough under taking but when the going gets tough .....

Meantime i have one final request for today can anyone get me in touch with Lynn Szeftel former President of the Zambia Motor Sports Association last heard of living in Zambia in 2008 ?

Edited by arttidesco, 24 May 2010 - 11:56.

#35 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:10

Its been a good couple of weeks since I last posted on this thread, the good news is that I have made contact with Mike Wilson and he has promised to give me access to more of his photographs, I have also made contact with the Lynn Szeftel former president of the Zambia MSA and after organising the latest incarnation of the Zambian Rally she has promised to help me compile a pottered history of Zambian Motor Sport :-)

Meanwhile with the help Hartley Heaton I have identified a Eureka Speedway south of Lusaka along with some photographs of the action there :-)

Details on the link below :-

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=4399845

#36 DLM

DLM

• 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 22:42

Its been a good couple of weeks since I last posted on this thread, the good news is that I have made contact with Mike Wilson and he has promised to give me access to more of his photographs, I have also made contact with the Lynn Szeftel former president of the Zambia MSA and after organising the latest incarnation of the Zambian Rally she has promised to help me compile a pottered history of Zambian Motor Sport :-)

Meanwhile with the help Hartley Heaton I have identified a Eureka Speedway south of Lusaka along with some photographs of the action there :-)

Details on the link below :-

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=4399845

Bennetts Speedway was,I believe,named after O.B. Bennett who was General Manager of Nkana Mine. The "Speedway " was a dirt track oversprayed with old oil. It was much closer to Kitwe than Ndola.
Garneton was more a suburb of Kitwe. I would ride out on my bycycle from Kitwe where I lived until 1964.

Saw Connaught and Dtype Jag racing there. ( Sam Tingle, John Love ? )

Bill Leyland drove a XK120 Jag at Bennetts,painted a copper color, usually winning. He lived across the road from me and had a great looking girlfriend (wife ? ) At 12 years old I was a willing gofer.

#37 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:05

can you note where you lived as I would be interested to know location of Bill Leyland, was his jag a open sports or a hardtop any idea where he may be these days?
What year would have it been when you were 12? and what age were you when you left in 1964
terry

Bennetts Speedway was,I believe,named after O.B. Bennett who was General Manager of Nkana Mine. The "Speedway " was a dirt track oversprayed with old oil. It was much closer to Kitwe than Ndola.
Garneton was more a suburb of Kitwe. I would ride out on my bycycle from Kitwe where I lived until 1964.

Bill Leyland drove a XK120 Jag at Bennetts,painted a copper color, usually winning. He lived across the road from me and had a great looking girlfriend (wife ? ) At 12 years old I was a willing gofer.

Edited by terry mcgrath, 10 June 2010 - 08:05.

#38 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:04

Thanks for your observations DLM some how I was under the illusion....

Posted Image

that this track now known as Ndola Motopark,

Posted Image

Just west of Ndola was Bennetts Speedway.

If it is not would you

1) know where Bennetts Speedway was located on Google Earth

2) know the name of the track outside Ndola if indeed it existed in 1964 ?

I had no idea anything as exotic as a D type or Connaught had made it to the Copperbelt I wonder if anybody has any pictures of them to share ?

Ref Bill Leyland in the link mention is made of him coming second at Chingola to Eric Evans in a Triumph Special in the inaugural Vic Pauleson Trophy race would you know if Bill was driving his XK120 in that race ?

Finally would you know who this XK120 shown on the cover of Roan Antelope Magazine in 1957 was being driven by ?

Thanks in anticipation :-)

Edited by arttidesco, 10 June 2010 - 10:05.

#39 DLM

DLM

• 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 13:57

Regarding Bill Leyland, the copper colored Jag was open. He lived in a block of flats on Richmomd Gardens Road.
On google go north up Independence Ave ( ex Edenburgh Rd ) , left into Kew Road then right into Richmond Gardens Road. His flats are 2nd block on the left. I have no idea where he may be now.

1960 was 12, 16 in 1964.

P.S. Living in the block of flats opposite to Bill was his biggest racing threat at Bennetts Speedway. Fellow had a bodyless TR2 with an extra fuel tank on the tail filled with water. "Keeps the wheels on the ground" he told me.

Advertisement

#40 DLM

DLM

• 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 14:53

Thanks for your observations DLM some how I was under the illusion....

Posted Image

that this track now known as Ndola Motopark,

Posted Image

Just west of Ndola was Bennetts Speedway.

If it is not would you

1) know where Bennetts Speedway was located on Google Earth

2) know the name of the track outside Ndola if indeed it existed in 1964 ?

I had no idea anything as exotic as a D type or Connaught had made it to the Copperbelt I wonder if anybody has any pictures of them to share ?

Ref Bill Leyland in the link mention is made of him coming second at Chingola to Eric Evans in a Triumph Special in the inaugural Vic Pauleson Trophy race would you know if Bill was driving his XK120 in that race ?

Finally would you know who this XK120 shown on the cover of Roan Antelope Magazine in 1957 was being driven by ?

1) I have looked closely at Google Earth and see no sign of where Bennetts may have been. Best guess is not far past Luangwa township on south side of road to Ndola ( right hand side of road to Ndola )
Bennetts was active mainly in the 1950s. In fact,I dont remember Luangwa existing.

2)Never went to an Ndola track. Dont believe the Ndola Motopark existed in 1964. Far to fancy. Not Bennetts as too far from Kitwe and on the wrong side of the road. There must have been some sort of track at Ndola,dirt for sure, before the Motopark.

3)Yes,exotics came to Garneton !!! My programmes and photos are lost after 40 odd years but can suggest you contact Rob Young ( RY6 ) on TNF . He is a mine of info regarding African Racing.

4)Bill probably drove the XK120 in the VP inaugural,I dont recall him driving anything else back then.

5) R A Mag cover... not the Bill Leyland I remember or the Bennett Speedway car. Looking at the number plate, the 2nd letter looks like an L. Kitwe was NK ( N kana K itwe ) until 1962/3 then EA ( kitw E nkan A ).
Luyansha may have been a L. Was the mine in Luansha named Roan Antelope ? Hence the mag being the mine house mag ?

Garneton was a tar track on the roads of a new township. I dont recall any houses/development on much, if any, on the circuit in the very early 1960s. Bennetts faded out,but maybe went to stock car racing.

#41 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 15:48

DLM thanks for your help you have cleared several riddles in one short reply :-)

Posted Image

Mike Wilson who took the photo of Bob Palmary's BMW above at Bennett's suggests the circuit existed until the late 60's early 70's :-)

It's good to know I have two more tracks to look for Bennetts and Garneton :-)

Shame about your programmes and pics, thanks for the RY6 tip :-)

Apparently R A mag was for Roan employees who were to be found all over southern Africa until they were nationalised I believe most of Northern Rhodesia / Zambia's copper mines were run by Roan Copper Mines.

Thanks for the insight into the NR number plate system, the only thing I remember about the Zambian numbering system was that AFA was Mufulira.

Can't thank you enough, one final question would you happen to know where the Kitana cinder track for speedway bikes was ?

Cheers

#42 DLM

DLM

• 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 16:17

DLM thanks for your help you have cleared several riddles in one short reply :-)

Posted Image

Mike Wilson who took the photo of Bob Palmary's BMW above at Bennett's suggests the circuit existed until the late 60's early 70's :-)

It's good to know I have two more tracks to look for Bennetts and Garneton :-)

Shame about your programmes and pics, thanks for the RY6 tip :-)

Apparently R A mag was for Roan employees who were to be found all over southern Africa until they were nationalised I believe most of Northern Rhodesia / Zambia's copper mines were run by Roan Copper Mines.

Thanks for the insight into the NR number plate system, the only thing I remember about the Zambian numbering system was that AFA was Mufulira.

Can't thank you enough, one final question would you happen to know where the Kitana cinder track for speedway bikes was

Glad to be of some help.
Cant help you on Kitana, dont remember any speedway bike racing when I lived there.

#43 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:20

truly amazing what comes to life on this site although I have no idea what a Roan Antelope magazine is about but glad they used this pic on the cover.
What actual country are we talking about?
The car pictured is an XK140 FHC and I would love if we could get the actual rego number from the original magazine. I would really love to get a very large size scan of the pic and in fact the entire cover of the magazine.
Is there any notation inside the magazine as to what the cover pic is about?
regards terry
tmcgrath@bigpond.com

[/quote]

#44 kmartin

kmartin

• 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 18:10

4)Bill probably drove the XK120 in the VP inaugural,I dont recall him driving anything else back then.

Does anyone know in what year that the 1st Vic Paulsen trophy race was held?

Regards

Kirk

#45 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 18:22

Does anyone know in what year that the 1st Vic Paulsen trophy race was held?

Regards

Kirk

Something I'd also love to know Kirk I know Eric Evans won it the first two times it was held and that he retired after failing to win it a third time in his Triumph Special, from a blog by his daughter, name also unknown ?

I wonder if anyone knows how many times the annual race was run and when the last time was ?

#46 Cycloid

Cycloid

• 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:20

Concerning racing in Belgian Congo and Rwanda-Urundi as it was called in the fifties, I am searching for any information regarding the Kivu rallies.
The event was called “Rallye du Lac Kivu” and was hosted from 1953 to 1959.
The starting and finishing point of every rally was in the city of Bukavu in the province of South Kivu, but it passed thru cities located in Rwanda-Urundi (Today Rwanda and Burundi).
The event was sponsored by Mobil Oil.
There is a chapter concerning the 1958 edition in the book written by Paul Frère “My life full of cars” which I have.

Can anyone supply any information concerning these rallies?

#47 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:51

Great news Tim Fulcher has kindly sent me an e-mail informing me the driver of this XK140 is most likely Ken Livingstone who was also a committee member of the Ndola Motor Sports Club. Thanks very much Tim :up:

#48 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:58

Before he turned to collecting newts?

#49 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:10

Before he turned to collecting newts?

Is this something to do with Londidniums former Lord Mayor ?

#50 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:58

Yes and no. Ken Livingstone was the first elected Mayor of London. He was never Lord Mayor, an office of the City of London, which is not the same thing as the city of London...