Photo

Melbourne GP Seating

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,342 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 00:37

Hi I was wandering what the best ticket is for a first time GP watcher at the Melbourne GP. Is it a seat in a stand or a four day general admission. If it is a stand then what stand, if it is General Admission then where is the best place to go and what time do you need to get there in order to get a good possition.

Thanks.

Advertisement

#2 baddog

baddog

• 23,624 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 00:44

A stand seat without a doubt. Im not sure what the stand layout is for this year though

Shaun

#3 WebberF1

WebberF1

• 83 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:59

Here's my 2 cents.

Whilst I can only offer my experience as I have only ever watched the Melb GP from the Fangio stand on a few occasions.

The great thing about the Fangio stand IMO is that you get to see the pit action and experience the beautiful ambience of V10's warming up and running system checks prior to a session.

I have spent time on the pit straight in Adelaide and around the course and I came to the conclusion that the pit straight opposite the team garages is the best spot to enjoy the sessions. Just make sure your near a big screen you'll be right.

I wil never forget 2002 when I was sitting opposite the Minardi garage when Webber came 5th. A remarkable moment and celebration after his car made it back to the parc ferme.

#4 TailHappy

TailHappy

• 2,744 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:25

If you go with GA you will need to be there before sparrows fart on Saturday and Sunday if you want a good possie. And once you get a spot you can never move.

Slash out the few extra coins a get into a stand. Its great being able to wander around and always have a good spot to come back to when the action starts.

As to where...... they all have things going for them. Personally I like the end of the main straight and the Clarke stand (turns 8 and 9?). You really have to decide what sort of action you want to see.

As WebberF1 mentioned though, wherever you sit, make sure it has a good view of a big screen.

#5 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,342 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:32

I am kind of torn, it seems that the Fangio Stand is best for all the pre race activities, but the first corner is best for passing, I think probably Fangio is the best value for money, it seems like the whole thing will have a good view of a big screen.

#6 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,655 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:59

Prost & Schumacher stands are pretty good, Prost stand would have to be the best. You see the cars coming up to turn 14 all the way down the main straight & also see cars entering the pits as well as a supercreen. I've done Fangio once & it was pretty cool watching the mechanics working on cars etc....but quite boring over the 3 days as the cars just scream by on the straight. But you have to experience Fangio at least once.

As for General Admission, if you want to see drivers working the wheel, then turn 5 is good, turns 9-10 on the Brocky hill also quite good.

After going to Sepang for the first time last year, i will be going to MElbourne 1 last time this season & instead doing Malaysia. Far better value for money...

#7 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 18:02

stand 100% - I've done general adminission once - never again

We have sat in the Clark stand for the last 4 years (and again this year) - great spot with screen in front.

With any stand, make sure you pick a seat half way up so the fence doesn't get in your way

#8 flyboy

flyboy

• 387 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 21:36

I can recommend the Brabham stand... great view of turn 1 and 2 and if you can get on the right side of the stand you can follow them down to turn 3.

#9 bellissima

bellissima

• 12 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:34

So who's going to the Melbourne GP this year? I'm thinking of getting grandstand tickets this year. Have been in GA for the past 2 yrs and thot of changing views. I'm thinking of getting the nearest seats to the paddock area. ;) (Cross my fingers, for paddock access this year. )

#10 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,342 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:16

Im going, it seems the good corner stands are a bit pricy so I might be on the pitt straight, maybe slightly towards the first corner so I can see any good passing there.

#11 lawsy

lawsy

• 178 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 22:08

I'm going but with only GA tickets. What time should I be aiming to get to the track on Sunday to have anychance of seeing something decent?

#12 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,881 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 06:05

Originally posted by lawsy
I'm going but with only GA tickets. What time should I be aiming to get to the track on Sunday to have anychance of seeing something decent?

You have to be at the track as soon as it opens - so IIRC before 8am. Thats the only way you can put down a blanket and book your "space". It gets very crowded and Saturday is just as bad as Sunday. However, use Friday to walk around and find the best spot for you. Also make sure you sit somewhere opposite a super screen as its a must!

#13 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 27,077 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 21:25

Originally posted by lawsy

I just don't think it is worth it. I did it twice and regret it ... nothing like a stand. You might get there at 6am and reserve a spot but by 2pm everyone is off their face and the crush happens so unless you're prepared to share your personal space with some sweaty pommie back packer you tend to fall back. No fun.

Buy a seat and don't buy a coffee in the morning for a few months ..it soon adds up.

#14 lawsy

lawsy

• 178 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 00:38

Thanks for the replies guys.

Arriving mid Friday so after hotel check in we'll make the trek out to the ground to sus out vantage points.

#15 melkor

melkor

• 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 13:28

Greetings,

I've done the grandstand thing in a few places (Clark, Waite, Fangio) there, and providing you're there early there are some great general addmission spots to view the action. However, the last few years I have paid for syndicated corporate platform tickets which include all four days fully inclusive of food/beer etc.. and the boxes have great views, roof in case it rains, and TV's so you don't miss anything. You also don't spend a lot of time lining up for food/drink/toilets/ as all these facilities are seperate to the GA sections.

These tickets can be purchased from the Australian Grand Prix Corporation, although I would imagine tickets will be very limited this close to the event. I have generally ordered my tickets about 6 months prior to the event. I think the platforms at turns 3-4 are the best.. we have seen a lot of action there as it's one of few overtaking places on the track, for instance.. last year Kimi went off there, and Giancarlo overtook Nick around the outside touching wheels. The support events usually have a few offs there also, including several touches to the wall last year.

It's going to be great to see Formula 3 there for the first time this year.

Enjoy your trip all...

#16 boost

boost

• 2,198 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:24

Bit late but here a collage of photos from the top of the shuey stand:
stand

#17 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,881 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 22:59

Hey all,

Sign in at the Atlas F1 Melbourne GP Meet and Greet thread If you can make it.

Would be good to have you all there :up:

#18 Mat

Mat

• 7,677 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:17

Originally posted by melkor
Greetings,

I've done the grandstand thing in a few places (Clark, Waite, Fangio) there, and providing you're there early there are some great general addmission spots to view the action. However, the last few years I have paid for syndicated corporate platform tickets which include all four days fully inclusive of food/beer etc.. and the boxes have great views, roof in case it rains, and TV's so you don't miss anything. You also don't spend a lot of time lining up for food/drink/toilets/ as all these facilities are seperate to the GA sections.

These tickets can be purchased from the Australian Grand Prix Corporation, although I would imagine tickets will be very limited this close to the event. I have generally ordered my tickets about 6 months prior to the event. I think the platforms at turns 3-4 are the best.. we have seen a lot of action there as it's one of few overtaking places on the track, for instance.. last year Kimi went off there, and Giancarlo overtook Nick around the outside touching wheels. The support events usually have a few offs there also, including several touches to the wall last year.

It's going to be great to see Formula 3 there for the first time this year.

Enjoy your trip all...

How much does one of those cost for say turns 3-4?? Curious.

#19 lawsy

lawsy

• 178 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:11

Hi again,

flying down tomorrow, very excited. :)

Purchased a small hand held TV to take so that we are not reliant so much on a big screen. Will know what is going on the whole time now at least. Looking at the map Brocky's Hill looks good. Should see the cars coming in very fast as well as some good cornering and braking. :cool: