Photo

Alec Poole Rover

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:56

I have a friend looking for info on Alec Poole's racing Rover P6B V8 Traco.

He is after the Chassis number of JXC806D which was imported by Leyland Australia and raced by James Smith in 1971 and later became the Camel Rover. The log book has been lost.

enter: Fred Gallagher........... :wave:

Advertisement

#2 Fred Gallagher

Fred Gallagher

• 310 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:28

Good friend as Alec is I haven't yet memorised all his old chassis numbers!

I've forwarded this or you can contact him at: Alec@TourBritannia.com

Fred

#3 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:35

Originally posted by Fred Gallagher
Good friend as Alec is I haven't yet memorised all his old chassis numbers!

I've forwarded this or you can contact him at: Alec@TourBritannia.com

Fred

Fred, you mean to tell me the British don't have a penchant for trivia such as this??

I'm shocked!! :clap:

Many thanks for forwarding the question...I will ask my friend to contact Alec if needs be.

Cheers, Mick

#4 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:05

The ex press car (JXC808D) was the one used for rallycross before becoming the first prototype racer built by Morgan and Rose, fitted with a 4.3 Traco Olds. this was sold to Alec Poole who raced it in Ireland. This car was red.
After Lord Stokes closed the UK Comps Dept in 1970 Sydney's Warwick Farm racing circuit promoter Geoff Sykes approached BL Australia about the possibility of bringing the car and
Roy Pierpont down under, but the deal fell through. The parent company then offered one of the two racing Rovers which had been built for sale.
Jim Smith went to England and bought the car with financial assistance from BL Australia
subsidiary. His purchase included both Rover V8 factory racing engines. This car was Blue, ie the second car.

"(the other works P6B racer - the prototype - had a standard V8 installed
and was sent to the US for display purposes)."

In 1972 Smith got sponsorship from Shell and Camel Filter Cigarettes and the P6 was
painted yellow with a 550 bhp 5 litre Repco Formula 5000 unit . Smith sold the car to the Jarrett brothers who sold it in 1976 to David Craig and changed from yellow to blue. The Rover was severely damaged in a garage fire.

In December 1984 it was sold through Auto Action magazine to a Sydney enthusiast, but there the trail goes quiet......
However this is the Marathon de la Route car, the second one. I don't believe this is the Alec Poole car, and I'm not sure No1 went to the States straight from Leyland, suggesting maybe that there was three............
So what did Alec do with his car when he finished with it?

#5 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 11:32

Originally posted by Huw Jadvantich
The ex press car (JXC808D) was the one used for rallycross before becoming the first prototype racer built by Morgan and Rose, fitted with a 4.3 Traco Olds. this was sold to Alec Poole who raced it in Ireland. This car was red.
After Lord Stokes closed the UK Comps Dept in 1970 Sydney's Warwick Farm racing circuit promoter Geoff Sykes approached BL Australia about the possibility of bringing the car and
Roy Pierpont down under, but the deal fell through. The parent company then offered one of the two racing Rovers which had been built for sale.
Jim Smith went to England and bought the car with financial assistance from BL Australia
subsidiary. His purchase included both Rover V8 factory racing engines. This car was Blue, ie the second car.

In 1972 Smith got sponsorship from Shell and Camel Filter Cigarettes and the P6 was
painted yellow with a 550 bhp 5 litre Repco Formula 5000 unit . Smith sold the car to the Jarrett brothers who sold it in 1976 to David Craig and changed from yellow to blue. The Rover was severely damaged in a garage fire.

In December 1984 it was sold through Auto Action magazine to a Sydney enthusiast, but there the trail goes quiet......
However this is the Marathon de la Route car, the second one. I don't believe this is the Alec Poole car, and I'm not sure No1 went to the States straight from Leyland, suggesting maybe that there was three............

Thanks a vast amount Huw....excellent info....I think I know where the car is now...just trying to convince the fella to become a TNFer :)

#6 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:55

For Fred and Huw (and Alec?) ....thanks for the assistance :wave:

Posted Image

#7 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:44

Believe this was the car with the chassis by Chas Beattie Projects, - pretty effective too it was on it's day

#8 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 13:37

Originally posted by RTH
Believe this was the car with the chassis by Chas Beattie Projects, - pretty effective too it was on it's day

Thanks for that Richard....sorry for the crappy shot...my cameras electronics failed later in the day!!! :( ...still under warranty :smoking:

Current owner says he wouldn't mind a tad more power....otherwise very happy with the car...Cheers

#9 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:07

Mick, Graham Howard wrote a comprehensive article on what became the Rover P6 Sports Sedan in a recent edition of Australian Muscle Car magazine. From what I can recall, Mr Baddeley (golfer Aaron's father, who went on to spanner for Mario Andretti in the States) did a lot of modifications to the Rover in the "Camel" days. I don't recall the Rover's fate.

I do recall another highly modified Rover P6 3500 from a few years back that was used in classic rallying by Ron Barr-Smith (I think that's his name.)

I'm pretty sure I have a feature on the other "works" Rover (red in colour) from the long defunct English magazine "Sporting Cars" (back in the early '80s.)

#10 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:03

I seem to remember Alec sold the Rover on to someone in the Caribbean , I saw it race at Phoenix Park abd it was something to watch.

#11 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:33

Edward and Paul,

I am sure any extra information you might have on this subject would be appreciated by Rob. If needs be, of course I will volunteer to go to Caribbean on a fact finding tour :up: :lol:

#12 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:54

My friend Rob Harrison now has the car and would love to locate the CAMS Log Book which is missing.

There is some controversy with the car so far as eligibility is concerned. If anyone knows anything about the Rover or its documentation please PM me and I will put you in touch with (no doubt) an extremely grateful British Leyland/Rover enthusiast (Rob) :up:

#13 chinn

chinn

• 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 13:06

Just a quick follow up for the P6 fans some pictures here

#14 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:13

The last Abingdon Competition Dept Works Mini at Nurburgring running second to the Rover Traco

(note that Alec Poole was one of the Drivers)

(note the Mini number plate light for illuminating the racing number)

Posted Image

#15 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:00

Spot anything unusual in the window department on that Mini?

#16 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:02

Originally posted by ian senior

Eagle eye's Ian...it's a oddity with sliders when Clubman had wind up!

#17 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:04

Has it got K.O. wheels? They are not the usual Minilites of the period :confused:

Love the Lucas 700's hanging down, very purposeful.

#18 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:15

Could be running on 12 " rims , hard to see if they are knock on type.

#19 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,772 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:37

A Clubman without external door hinges, how weird! :cool:

Advertisement

#20 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:53

Originally posted by sterling49

Well spotted, that man!

#21 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:27

Well it's running in Gp6 (no bumpers) so to all intents trim spec can be anything you wanted. Would have had perspex. Surely the standard shell (and Clubman?) had just about acquired internal door hinges by then (unofficially the "Mk3" shell)?
Regarding the Rover in the Caribbean, didn't it go as part of the early 70s BOAC series (races in Guyana and Barbados) (and possibly came back?). I have some contacts there and can ask.

#22 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:59

A Rover V8, described as ex-Pierpoint 4.5 litre, was flown from UK to Barbados for Alec Poole to drive at the Bushy Park circuit in March 73 in the BOAC Anglo-Caribbean race series. It was not at the previous round in Guyana in November 72 and is said to have arrived there on a different airline (International Caribbean, circuit/meeting sponsor?) from series sponsor BOAC. A lot of UK cars from this series were sold locally. Will ask around (we are still trying to trace the UK origin of a Brabham, probably an updated BT28, that went that winter and stayed).

#23 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 21:34

I contacted Alec , wheels are 12"" minilite centre lock, they retired with a blown head gasket.

#24 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 407 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 00:37

Wasnt that a fairly widespread weight saving practice back in those days ?

The windup window doors were a conventional door with inner and outer skin and winder mechanism within. The sliding window type, they were just an empty shell by comparison and considerably lighter.

#25 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:31

Originally posted by fredeuce

The windup window doors were a conventional door with inner and outer skin and winder mechanism within. The sliding window type, they were just an empty shell by comparison and considerably lighter.

Yes...still is!! :)

#26 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:16

Originally posted by Paul Newby
Mick, Graham Howard wrote a comprehensive article on what became the Rover P6 Sports Sedan in a recent edition of Australian Muscle Car magazine. From what I can recall, Mr Baddeley (golfer Aaron's father, who went on to spanner for Mario Andretti in the States) did a lot of modifications to the Rover in the "Camel" days. I don't recall the Rover's fate.

I do recall another highly modified Rover P6 3500 from a few years back that was used in classic rallying by Ron Barr-Smith (I think that's his name.)

I'm pretty sure I have a feature on the other "works" Rover (red in colour) from the long defunct English magazine "Sporting Cars" (back in the early '80s.)

His name is Tom Barr-Smith...

#27 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:17

very strange!!!!!! A friend of mine has it in his garage in the UK Its not turned a wheel since circa 1973

#28 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:13

Go on.........

#29 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:36

Originally posted by Ted Walker
very strange!!!!!! A friend of mine has it in his garage in the UK Its not turned a wheel since circa 1973

Just to dispel any confusion....The Camel Rover.....is in Sydney :up:

#30 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:48

Originally posted by fredeuce

Yes but on an International event it could only be done if there was a "Prototype" category (then Appendix J Group 6). If an event ran to the usual Group1,2,3 original doors, window glass, bumpers etc were required. Between 66 and 71 lighter panels could be specifically homologated in Gp2. The Cooper S was homologated on one set of papers so arguably later doors could me mixed with an earlier shell and vice versa but the 1275GT situation was not quite so straightforward.

#31 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:32

Originally posted by Huw Jadvantich

In the David Craig fire this vehicle was reduced to a pile of absolute ruble along with the servo it was housed in.......

#32 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:09

Is anyone here able to dig out some more photos of the P6s? I think this is the first time I've heard of them and to my eyes, they look most impressive in racing trim! That 550 BHP P6 must've been a beast! Did it achieve results? Was there really one for sale in GB recently? How much did it fetch?

Cheers!

Justin

#33 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:44

You are correct in that it was very much a BEAST..I just may have a photo of the car, i will have a look....

#34 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:24

Originally posted by cosworth bdg
In the David Craig fire this vehicle was reduced to a pile of absolute ruble along with the servo it was housed in.......

Do the Russians still use rubles??

Quote from Rob:

I must admit ''absolute rubble'' is a wild statement. The Rover was certainly close to the fire as the perspex windows where buckled on the left hand side and the insurance fellow from whom I bought it did not do anything to tidy the car up, so I got it directly from the insurance yard.

The iridescent blue and white paint was bubbled on the front left hand guard but everything was straight - much straighter than my P6B racer!!!!

#35 lofong

lofong

• 65 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 16:17

By chance I happened across this print in a sad and sorry state a couple of days back. After a little cleaning up ......

Posted Image

I no longer have my race programmes but I seem to recall this was Roy Pierpoint at the wheel.

#36 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:05

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

Do the Russians still use rubles??

Quote from Rob:

I must admit ''absolute rubble'' is a wild statement. The Rover was certainly close to the fire as the perspex windows where buckled on the left hand side and the insurance fellow from whom I bought it did not do anything to tidy the car up, so I got it directly from the insurance yard.

The iridescent blue and white paint was bubbled on the front left hand guard but everything was straight - much straighter than my P6B racer!!!!

Yes ,absolute rubble.. fit only for the dump......

#37 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:16

I just located this pic of the Jim Smith Camel Filter Rover V8 at Wanneroo Park..

A bit late, but -

Posted Image

#38 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:25

Originally posted by Terry Walker
I just located this pic of the Jim Smith Camel Filter Rover V8 at Wanneroo Park..

A bit late, but -

Posted Image

Is that fitted with the Rover v8 or the Repco F5000 V8...

#39 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:35

Quote:

"In 1972 Smith got sponsorship from Shell and Camel Filter Cigarettes and the P6 was

Huw Jadvantich"

I don't have a programme from the meeting, I'm not even sure what the Wanneroo Park meeting was, so I can't confirm what was under the lid. All I've got is a strip of my old negs with that pic.

Advertisement

#40 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 18:18

Posted Image

Alec Poole at Kirkistown - early 70s

#41 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:08

Terrific shot Bill :up: :)

#42 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:11

Originally posted by Terry Walker
Quote:

"In 1972 Smith got sponsorship from Shell and Camel Filter Cigarettes and the P6 was

Huw Jadvantich"

I don't have a programme from the meeting, I'm not even sure what the Wanneroo Park meeting was, so I can't confirm what was under the lid. All I've got is a strip of my old negs with that pic.

Terry, I don't want to rake over old coals (so to speak)...but "was severely damaged in a garage fire" has been disputed...the current owner is saying it was moved away in time to minimise the damage.

#43 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:26

Nice photo Billy. i will tell my friend who owns it (it still looked like that whenI found it)

#44 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:24

Another thread shows 2 pictures of a car entered at Donnington - the Donnington Media day 5th April.

This car is painted blue/white and is shown with No.21 on the door.

I am confused - this suggests that the car is masquerading as JXC806D ! :)

#45 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:37

Another thread shows 2 pictures of a car entered at Donnington - the Donnington Media day 5th April.

This car is painted blue/white and is shown with No.21 on the door.

I am confused - this suggests that the car is masquerading as JXC806D ! :)

Said car pictured at Donington.

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-04-06

#46 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:35

Said car pictured at Donington.

By -04-06

Wow!! looks fabulous...many thanks :wave:

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 22 May 2011 - 09:38.

#47 seldo

seldo

• 2,600 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 23:26

...And they appear to be perspex, and the rears are fixed with no opening catch....

#48 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:59

And has push button doors not lift up handles. Or maybe they were later?

#49 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:08

There is a pic of the Camel Rover in one of its guises on P7 of the Aussie Sports Sedan thread.
There was a write up on that car in Australian Muscle Car mag a couple of years ago.It went though a lot of 'development' and from what I gather is stuffed, just a flexible saggy wreck.
Romsey Quints wrote a very humorous article about that car in Sports Car World I guess early 70s

#50 seldo

seldo

• 2,600 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:51

My friend Rob Harrison now has the car and would love to locate the CAMS Log Book which is missing.

There is some controversy with the car so far as eligibility is concerned. If anyone knows anything about the Rover or its documentation please PM me and I will put you in touch with (no doubt) an extremely grateful British Leyland/Rover enthusiast (Rob) :up:

Small world. Please give him my regards. Does Rob still have the Le Mans Healey as well?