Museums, and what's inside them?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Honza

Honza

• 92 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:51

Hi guys,

Do you know something about some museums with formula 1 cars, location and what is inside.
I was in Lohéac (France) - there is great collection I thought when I saw this for the first time, but in details there are many mistakes. For example AGS JH22 - chassis, I think from Australia,front wing from Mexiko and rear wing maybe from Japan,but without horizontal red lines. Larrousse LC88 with Lamborghini engine, beautiful car, but with these sponsors and this engine,i think this car never raced this way in 1988.
Do you have a similar experience?

Advertisement

#2 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 13:02

Originally posted by Honza
Hi guys,

Do you know something about some museums with formula 1 cars, location and what is inside.
I was in Lohéac (France) - there is great collection I thought when I saw this for the first time, but in details there are many mistakes. For example AGS JH22 - chassis, I think from Australia,front wing from Mexiko and rear wing maybe from Japan,but without horizontal red lines. Larrousse LC88 with Lamborghini engine, beautiful car, but with these sponsors and this engine,i think this car never raced this way in 1988.
Do you have a similar experience?

With all those Alpines, why would you waste your time looking at boring old F1 cars? :lol:

Geoff

#3 Honza

Honza

• 92 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 13:11

Boring? .. not for all
I´m interested in old formula 1 technicality. :cool:

#4 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,846 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 16:13

The Lohéac museum does have an impressive collection of racing and "sports" car ( I agree on the Alpines ) , but the F1 part was not the one that impressed me most....too many post-80's car for my liking....but that's a matter of personal interest.....

One should never trust 100% that the presentation in museums is strictly genuine....sometimes there are "political" reasons to present a car claiming to be a more "glorious" model than what it really is....

For instance, when I visited the Matra museum in Romorantin ( which I highly recommend, although it is 100% Matra and therefore not a huge number of cars ) I was a little puzzled by a 1973 670B ( the Le Mans - only model ) which was equipped with a Hewland gearbox , whereas it should have had the special Porsche-made gearbox, one of those very expensive items that Matra had custom-made strictly for the 1973 and 1974 Le Mans 24 hours, and which were not used for the shorter races ....

So I dug a bit into that, and found an apparently well informed site ( no, not the one of Mr O...) which stated the following about the models presented at Romorantin :

The car presented as the 1972 Le Mans winning 670-01 is in fact 660-01 , rebodied as 670-01

The car presented as the 1973 Le Mans winning 670B-02 is in fact the real 670-01, rebodied as 670B-02 ( the real 670B-02 apparently belongs to Jean-Pierre Beltoise )

Don't ask me why they didn't simply re-body in 1972 Le Mans guise 670-01 , which of course was used for the 1973 World championship with the bodywork a bit butchered ( and which indeed , always used a Hewland gearbox ) .....might have something to do with front wheels adaptation ( the 660 and 670 had 15' fronts , the 670B and C's had 13' ) , perhaps it was easiest to fit 13' fronts and a B spec bodywork to a 670 , and a 670 bodywork to a 660 monocoque...Hello, is everybody following me :wave:

But in any case, it does explain why the "670 B" that I saw there had a Hewland gearbox , if it really was a "presentation" model based on a 670....If any one is interested in the detailed history of the Matra Sports chassis, take a look at the site in question

http://perso.wanadoo...m/chs_matra.htm

if you hit "back" from that page, you access the main site , there is an english version

#5 bretonbanquet

bretonbanquet

• 56 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 20:26

I very much enjoyed Lohéac when I went there a couple of years ago. The room full of Alpines did occupy me for some considerable time... The F1 "grid" was quite modern, but still interesting of course, but then I did discover the place totally by accident while looking for a house to buy, so the "surprise discovery" aspect made the whole place seem like some kind of automotive paradise :love: I'd go again :)

My knowledge of AGSs and Larrousses didn't stretch to determining whether or not they were correctly liveried / assembled though, I was just happy to see them :cat:

#6 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 22:48

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Goodwood blurb says Omni Ventures was the entrant of this 670B bodied vehicle, unfortunately at the time I did not realise how significant the gearbox was in determining if this is in fact the 670 01 with 670B 02 bodywork as described by phillipe7 above, any relevant help identifying the car seen at Goodwood last year may be credited and used in a forth coming blog.

Thanking you in anticipation of your responses.