2005 HLWITTL who?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 int2str

int2str

• 501 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 17:03

Hi guys!

The season is almost upon us, and I think we need to pick a "How long will it take to lap..." candidate for 2005! Looks like Zsolt might race for Minardi again, so we could do another year of HLWITTLZ.

Then there's also Karthikeyan now. He's a wildcard, but the Jordan might be too good for the HLWITTLx competition.

Minardi's yet to be announced 2nd driver might also be a good "victim". It should be one of these three:
- Chanoch Nissany (IS)
- Nicolas Kiesa (DEN)
- Christijan Albers (NL)

Let me know what you guys have in mind for 2005.

Also, please check out last years web site (http://eisenbach.com/hlwittlz) and let me know if there's anything you'd like to see there for 2005, or what could be done better.

Thanks,
Andre

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 25,901 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 17:19

A radical departure might be to select Ralf. The lap number might be a lot higher than for our old favourites like Alex or Zsolt, but it will surely happen before the end of the race...;)

I think Narain could well be another good candidate, even with Toyota power. He is certainly nearer to Alex than to Michael in performance terms. But if Minardi do give Nissany a race drive, then we would definitely have our man. So it looks like you have to be patient until Mr Stoddart has managed to count his candidates's bags of money and chosen the (un)lucky winner.

#3 Schuting Star

Schuting Star

• 5,139 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 21:32

Like BRG I rather think picking on a driver that isn't quite so easy to place as a Minardi one would be a good idea :) Do we have to have a driver from right at the back of the grid? That does make the competition much easier.

#4 Pine

Pine

• 535 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 22:38

Rumors are that Chanoch Nissany will sign with Minardi as a test driver tomorrow morning in Tel Aviv, so he's out of the question.

#5 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 23:17

Might I do a humble suggestion? How about the ever entertaining, yet very unpredictable Felipe Massa? Or perhaps something dynamic such as the driver who was last lapped in the previous race?

#6 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 23:23

Originally posted by Marcel Schot
Might I do a humble suggestion? How about the ever entertaining, yet very unpredictable Felipe Massa?

Hey, this is a competition, not a lottery!
My vote goes to David Coulthard :cool:

#7 Moanaman

Moanaman

• 6,035 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 02:11

Im liking Karthikeyan :up:

#8 int2str

int2str

• 501 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 03:10

Well remember guys, this competition is about drivers who either
a) just made F1 because of the $$$ (Yoong, Zsolt, etc.), or
b) have enough "personality" to distract from the fact they drive a boat anchor (Verstappen...)

This means Coulthard, Massa etc. are too reliable and respectable to be good candidates.

I think Karthikeyan has best chances right now :D

Though Albers could fall into the Verstappen category and could mix up the results a bit, if he makes the cut.

Anyway, you guys decide...

#9 IMHO

IMHO

• 671 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:48

Better wait to see who the #2 Minardi driver is.

If you cannot wait, then HLWITTLC for now as Christijan Albers is already signed as the #1 Minardi driver with $$$. It's bit of a tradition to pick and keep picking on a Minardi driver. Especially if they are dutch.

It just doesn't feel right to choose a Jordan/Midland driver. So both Narain and Tiago don't feel right.

Also both Christijan and Narain don't quite fit a) as they have actually been decent racers in all competitions entered so far.

Patience, int2str, patience.

#10 Ric Bol

Ric Bol

• 1,115 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 21:39

I think that the we have to use a Jordan driver :rolleyes:

#11 xflow7

xflow7

• 3,085 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 21:52

I think that one could make the argument that Midland is the FNG, and therefore deserves a little extra harassment..

#12 Locai

Locai

• 1,952 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 22:25

Since Zsolt actually scored a point for Minardi last year I almost think that should give him an exemption from being picked for this year's competition.

The other reason I'm not sure it should be Zsolt is that he was way too consistent as to what lap he would get passed on.

I think we should start a grassroots campaign to bring back Yoong and the 107% rule!!! Now that was a great competition. :up:

#13 int2str

int2str

• 501 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 22:55

Originally posted by Locai
I think we should start a grassroots campaign to bring back Yoong and the 107% rule!!! Now that was a great competition. :up:

Hehe, good times indeed :stoned:

#14 Locai

Locai

• 1,952 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 22:58

SuperCross Update (San Francisco):

Question -- You're defending series champ Chad Reed. You're 10 laps into the Main Event and in the lead. You've got Ricky Carmichael hot on your tail.

Do you: 1) Remind yourself that you're the champ and crank it up another notch or 2) block like hell and do your best to keep him from getting by you.

Answer -- NEITHER. YOU PULL OVER AND LET HIM SHOOT RIGHT PASSED YOU!!!! :eek: :mad:

Unbelievable. He said after the race that Ricky was catching him so he was trying to find a faster line. I've never raced competitively before, but I do know that you NEVER give away your line to the guy behind you. Even if Ricky was going to pass him, don't make it easy for him!

Well, as excited as I was before the season, I'm getting bored pretty fast. Ricky is just so much faster than the rest of the field right now. He's got everybody beat mentally even before the gate drops. I guess that Suzuki will be selling substantially more dirtbikes this year.

Anyway, the results were 1) Carmichael, 2) Windham, 3) Reed. McGrath finished 9th.

The top 3 in the standings are the same as the race results. McGrath is currently in 12th, but since he's not running the full season he'll drop down from there.

Back to Anaheim again for the 3rd time next week.

#15 Makarias

Makarias

• 12,618 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 00:29

The Minardis are so slow that their getting lapped span is pretty narrow. A Jordan driver would be the best challenge imo. Narain Karthikeyan's name doesn't seem to contain the letter that looks like a zero. So after Jos, Yoong and Zsolt: Tiago.

#16 StickShift

StickShift

• 5,386 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 00:41

I say Albers. People like picking on the dutch.

I mean, Clogs, really, wtf...

:D

#17 Pioneer

Pioneer

• 1,627 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 05:53

I vote Monteiro.

#18 weasle

weasle

• 546 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:21

zsolt is my man but i think this year we should go with albers. just 2cents from the current hlwittlz world champion.. :)

#19 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 07:15

Originally posted by StickShift
I say Albers. People like picking on the dutch.
I mean, Clogs, really, wtf...
:D

:lol: We (I should really say "The other Dutch", since there's no way in hell you'll get me in clogs) largely wear them for tourists only. Only farmers tend to wear them all the team, since apparently they're warm and more durable in mud and such than your normal everyday shoe.

If it's going to be either a Minardi or Jordan, my vote is with Monteiro until the second Minardi driver appears. Considering Albers' past performances, I'd scale him closer to Mark Webber than to the average Minardi pay driver. He might develop Verstappen's "I'm going to be a World Champion. No, seriously? Why are you laughing?" attitude, but so far he's modest.

Advertisement

#20 pungzilla

pungzilla

• 198 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:28

I agree with you guys that picking a Minardi is to predictable. I strongly Recommend that a Jordan race driver/car will be the benchmark, the competition could be HLWITTL-jordan?

#21 arcsine

arcsine

• 625 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 19:49

I agree with those who say it shouldn't necessarily be the expected tailender; it would be interesting to go for a driver who, all things being equal, is likely to be lapped, but not necessarily. Such as one of the Sauber drivers. Or one of the Red Bull drivers (David Coulthard :p)

#22 SennasCat

SennasCat

• 1,304 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:56

Karthikeyan's the one for me. Team of disarray, not much experience, Toyota power just to spice things up...

#23 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 03:48

Either Albers or Karthikeyan.

#24 TT6

TT6

• 3,571 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:05

I don't see any other option than Friesacher or Karthikeyan. Since the tradition is to pick the Minardi pay driver, I'd suggest Friesacher.

HLIWTTLPF

Too bad we there's no real substitute for Alex Yoong.

#25 int2str

int2str

• 501 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 17:53

I think mom-where's-my-superlicense PF is too much like shooting fish in a barrel....

So I'm leaning very strongly towards Karthikeyan :D.

If there's not objections, I'll plan on making it the 2005 HLWITTLK.

Cheers,
Andre

#26 Alapan

Alapan

• 6,243 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:57

I say rather go for the first top flight driver to be lapped - top flight being the top 4 from last year. Could be more interestign that way?

#27 DeLorean

DeLorean

• 65 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 22:18

Albers

#28 int2str

int2str

• 501 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 22:41

Please vote here:
http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=76763

Cheers,