Photo

Unusual problems

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#51 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:07

... reminds me of an old trick one-design sailboat (Etchells spring to mind) racers used to do: toss a clevis pin in the cockpit of another boat just before the start just to mess with their heads!

Bit OT sorry, in mechanical workshops it's not uncommon for a mechanic to add a nut, bolt or a washer to another mechanics job lot - an extra gear to a gearbox job is rather amusing :lol:

Advertisement

#52 Kart15

Kart15

• 148 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:44

De Cesaris once abandoned a race because apparently he was driving without one of his driving shoes (of course, maybe this was the reason of his crash):

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Looks like the shoe was loose inside the cockpit and we can see he wearing this again

#53 Mohican

Mohican

• 844 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 15:41

It appears that nobody has mentioned Jackie Stewart hitting & killing a dog on the track at the Mexican GP in 1969 (i think, may have been 1970). The Mexican GPs in the 60's were notorious for having the track lined by spectatators rather than guard rails or similar.

#54 alansart

alansart

• 4,058 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 16:07

A few of my own experiences.

During a race at Mallory Park something was rolling about around my feet. On braking for the hairpin an unopened can of Coke caught between the brake pedal and the front bulkhead and exploded. I thought I'd pee'd myself :blush:

Testing at Kirkistown, NI. Flat out down the back straight in the PRS only to find a Guinness Lorry coming in the other direction on it's way to fill up the bar :eek:

Testing at Kirkistown Pt2. The late Roger Eccleston had an off and disappeared into a bog. He gets the car back, removes the bodywork and hoses the car down. Shortly afterwards, on the back straight (again), Rog comes flying past me. No bodywork, no helmet, no seatbelts and puffing on a cigarette........just drying the car out :drunk:

Happy days :)

Edited by alansart, 09 August 2011 - 16:08.

#55 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,764 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 18:03

De Cesaris once abandoned a race because apparently he was driving without one of his driving shoes (of course, maybe this was the reason of his crash):

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Looks like the shoe was loose inside the cockpit and we can see he wearing this again

He must have lost his shoes a lot. Every other race, on average.

#56 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 20:15

One thing it took a bit of getting used-to: drunken sailors doing Veronica moves on racing cars in the braking area at the end of the half-mile seaside straightaway at Playas de Tijuana (Bullring-by-the-Sea location). At least they weren't emulating banderilleros.

#57 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,976 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 22:30

Testing at Kirkistown, NI. Flat out down the back straight in the PRS only to find a Guinness Lorry coming in the other direction on it's way to fill up the bar :eek:

Which reminds me of a remarkable moment in F1 history: "One interesting incident during the session occurred when McLaren was tucked in behind Baghetti and they braked for Thillois and found a black Peugeot sedately heading at them! They both took to the escape road and the errant driver attended to by The Authorities" http://atlasf1.autos...hun/mirror.html

#58 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,762 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 16:09

Whilst looking something else up I came across the MN report of the 1989 Milton Keynes Stages Rally where our own TNF moderator had this happen to him:

Best of 60 crews at Enstone airfield last Saturday were Robin Herd and Simon Galliford in their Metro 6R4, but they had a very mundane outing, unlike Stuart Dent. Charging down a stage in his Sunbeam the engine suddenly cut out through lack of petrol. He didn't actually realise the petrol tank had fallen off and when he had it took a sizable search party the best part of an hour to find it.

#59 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:25

Haha - I remember it well!

Advertisement

#60 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,484 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:27

Wasn't there an occasion when either Dan Gurney or Jack Brabham had to fish around with their feet to retrieve a spanner and then pitch it into the pits?

Of course, this thread would really take off if Buford were still around...

#61 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,107 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:21

When Jean-Denis Délétraz retired from the 1995 Portuguese Grand Prix at Estoril after only 14 laps, he claimed that it was because he was suffering from a cramp in his left arm. This excuse was received with a fair bit of skepticism by the paddock, as Estoril is a clockwise circuit, and it would be more likely that the right arm would get cramped. Many people believed that Délétraz was trying to deflect attention away from his poor driving, which lead to him being lapped after only 7 laps of the race.

#62 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,486 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:51

Wasn't there an occasion when either Dan Gurney or Jack Brabham had to fish around with their feet to retrieve a spanner and then pitch it into the pits?

Of course, this thread would really take off if Buford were still around...

Indeed, I miss him too, though I understand others would not. I believe Dan had the battery come adrift in his flat-8 Porsche during the 1962 German GP. It began sliding around beneath his legs. With aluminium fuel tanks on both sides he was understandably concerned that should it short out against either it could instantly melt a hole in a tank, while simultaneously providing an ignition source for leaking fuel/fuel vapour.

Being the man he is he wedged the battery tighter beneath his legs and pressed on, to finish a close third I think.

Gurney for President.

DCN

#63 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,847 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:12

At the now long-gone hillclimb at Durris, West of Stonehaven, I remember a single seater blasting up the very long straight and suddenly stopping in a cloud of tyre smoke as a red deer stag ambled across the track.

At a sprint on the Aintree club circuit the great Tony Marsh set off from the line heading to Country Corner as he braked the wheelnuts on the front of the car both flew off and as he turned both wheels also departed. Apparently the great man was distracted and forget to check they were properly torqued up!

:wave:

#64 HeskethBoy

HeskethBoy

• 57 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:50

During practise for a F5000 round of the Tasman Series at Surfers Paradise, a pack of cars roared up the back straight and one clipped a snake (about two feet long) which was on the edge of the track.
The snake was flung high into the air, and landed on a car - half-in and half-out of the cockpit (I don't know which end the head was at).
The driver threw the snake back onto the grass and continued - all without swerving or braking in the pack.
As a young(ish) marshal at the time, I was very impressed with the calmness of the driver - and the fact that the circuit seemingly had snakes (something I'd not considered before then!).

#65 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,107 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:34

During AJ Foyt's final scheduled pit stop in the 1961 Indianapolis 500, the pit crew are unable to fully engage the fuel pump, meaning that the car does not take on enough fuel to complete the 200 laps. Foyt's crew borrow Len Sutton's fuel pump, and Foyt comes in for a "splash and go" stop on lap 184. Foyt eventually wins the race after Eddies Sachs has to make an unscheduled stop on lap 197 due to worn tires.

The regulations are changed for the 1962 race so that pit crews cannot use the fuel pump of another competitor if their own unit malfunctions.

#66 Piquet959

Piquet959

• 89 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:59

In the late 1980's a mate of mine was racing his mini at Winton Historic when he was hit by a hare going through turn 2. He didn't hit the hare it ran into the drivers side door and left a nice big dent and a blood stain. After the race every driver remarked at the hare in the middle of turn 2. By the time the race was over and everybody hit it I reckon that the hare was about 2' diameter and very thin.
Cheers
Peter

Edited by Piquet959, 03 May 2012 - 11:00.

#67 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,107 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:06

During the running of the ADAC 500 km sports car race at the Nurburgring in September 1970, the fire extinguisher of the Lola driven by Chris Craft is dislodged after a collision with the Porsche 911 driven by Edwin Kremer, and ends up under the pedals. As Craft attempts to pick up the extinguisher, it starts to discharge. Craft throws the extinguisher out of the car onto the track. The extinguisher is then hit by Kurt Ahren's Abarth, which damages the body and radiator, and which contributes to Ahrens later retiring due to overheating.

#68 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,512 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:18

For a very wet 1964 F1 race at Snetterton, Graham Hill tried out a visor that had a central pivot and curved vanes and was intended to spin in the slipstream, which it did. However, I don't suppose anyone had considered the gyroscopic effects of the contraption, Hill eventually did a wall of death at the esses. I can't recall anyone blaming the visor, but it was never seen again...

Edited by Bloggsworth, 10 October 2012 - 08:18.

#69 alansart

alansart

• 4,058 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:27

For a very wet 1964 F1 race at Snetterton, Graham Hill tried out a visor that had a central pivot and curved vanes and was intended to spin in the slipstream, which it did. However, I don't suppose anyone had considered the gyroscopic effects of the contraption, Hill eventually did a wall of death at the esses. I can't recall anyone blaming the visor, but it was never seen again...

They were used in Karting quite a lot in the 80's and I know of at least one driver who used one when he moved up to Formula Ford.

#70 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,512 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:33

Rob Arnott did 3 jobs to pay for his Formula Fording - Printer by day, barman in the evenings, and newspaper delivery driver by night; one Sunday at Cadwell Park during practice his car drove of the circuit and rolled to a stop against the bank, the marshalls rushed up to find him asleep at the wheel (though not singing Route 66). I know not if they let him race.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 10 October 2012 - 08:33.

#71 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,762 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:11

Hill didn't use it very often, but he certainly used it again. There's a photo in this post of him using it at Crystal Palace in 1968.

#72 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,928 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:32

Rob Arnott did 3 jobs to pay for his Formula Fording - Printer by day, barman in the evenings, and newspaper delivery driver by night; one Sunday at Cadwell Park during practice his car drove of the circuit and rolled to a stop against the bank, the marshalls rushed up to find him asleep at the wheel (though not singing Route 66). I know not if they let him race.

Belgian garage owner Mr Mattozza built a Tatra based car for the GP des Frontiers at Chimay which was near his garage.
He apparently worked all through the night before the race to finish the car and managed to arrive at the circuit in time.
However he fell asleep before practice and missed it...

#73 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,673 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:32

A few from memory:

* Verstappen in a USA GP, I believe around 2000. The brake balance knob came off, so he couldn't adjust the brake bias for the corner after a back straight and missed the corner. After that, he retired.

* Last year in I believe the Porsche Super Cup or another endurance cup, a Dutch driver (Bleekemolen?) lost his front wheel in his inlap after the qualifying run. Rules state you have to start the race on the tires you set your time on, you could loose your time without those tires set. He stopped the car at a chicane where the wheel just passed him, picked up the tire and took it back to the pits on three wheels so he could keep his position for the race.

* The infamous camera incident between Berger and Alesi was very harsh. They finally got the Ferrari in a 1-2 position at Monza, only to be both out after 15 odd laps.

* Schumacher in Austria 2003(?) where his car caught fire after a pitstop. He throttled up and the flames went out. He went on to win that race.

* There is also footage of a driver nocking off the door of a safety car in the early '00 at Brazil in a practice session.

* Albers taking the fuel rig to the track in his Spyker is always good for a laugh.

* Herbert (Benetton) took a pit jack to the track after his pitstop.

* In Brazil a commercial sign dropped from the s/f straight and collected a car. Luckily it was very light and just shattered.

* There are also cars who got rear wings blown of the car.

#74 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 20:22

Hill didn't use it very often, but he certainly used it again. There's a photo in this post of him using it at Crystal Palace in 1968.

I'm pretty sure he also used it once at the Nürburgring, 1967 or '68ish...

#75 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,485 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 21:10

Seb Buemi loosing his front wheels

#76 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,573 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 21:22

'* There is also footage of a driver nocking off the door of a safety car in the early '00 at Brazil in a practice session.'
I was there for that. Why am I thinking Nick Heidfeld in a Sauber??

#77 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,485 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 21:31

'* There is also footage of a driver nocking off the door of a safety car in the early '00 at Brazil in a practice session.'
I was there for that. Why am I thinking Nick Heidfeld in a Sauber??

Yeah it was Heidfeld 2002 brazil

Takei Inoue and the safety car...
Pizzonia crashes a jag road car

Edited by jimjimjeroo, 13 October 2012 - 21:32.

#78 GD66

GD66

• 2,196 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:36

For a very wet 1964 F1 race at Snetterton, Graham Hill tried out a visor that had a central pivot and curved vanes and was intended to spin in the slipstream, which it did.

6-time world champion Jim Redman used to be in the advertisement for this apparatus in the motorcycling press of the time, in an ad that said "World champion Jim Redman says,"You can really see in the rain with Turbo-Visor !""

Can't say I ever saw him, or anyone else, using one in a race, though.

#79 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,538 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:46

Lewis Hamilton finishing the 2012 Korean GP with a length of astroturf trailing from his McLaren's sidepod. I was thinking Isadora Duncan there for a while ...

Advertisement

#80 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,764 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:57

What you do in the privacy of your own room, V2, is no concern of mine.

#81 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,058 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:08

Lewis Hamilton finishing the 2012 Korean GP with a length of astroturf trailing from his McLaren's sidepod. I was thinking Isadora Duncan there for a while ...

I'll stick my neck out here, but surely Isadora wouldn't have opted for vivid green; also, I believe silk to have been her material of choice for accessories, not turf.

Edited by john winfield, 14 October 2012 - 08:09.

#82 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:28

He might have been more competitive in a Bugatti...

#83 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:12

...not that Isadora Duncan had anything to do with a Bugatti :)

#84 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:51

...not that Isadora Duncan had anything to do with a Bugatti :)

OK, Wiki says Amilcar. Why do I think it was a Bugatti? Can't just be me, surely?

#85 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:57

OK, Wiki says Amilcar. Why do I think it was a Bugatti? Can't just be me, surely?

Found this...

http://www.bugatti.c...f-a-dancer.html

#86 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,538 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 20:05

http://forums.autosp...w...&hl=isadora

:)

#87 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,762 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 20:06

We've had several discussions on this, in which the Bugatti myth was fairly conclusively disproved. See these threads in particular:

Isadora Duncan died in an Bugatti?

Benoit Falchetto

Edit: just pipped by the speedy one  ;)

Edited by Tim Murray, 14 October 2012 - 20:09.

#88 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 21:01

We've had several discussions on this, in which the Bugatti myth was fairly conclusively disproved. See these threads in particular:

Isadora Duncan died in an Bugatti?

Benoit Falchetto

Edit: just pipped by the speedy one ;)

Oh dear, old can of worms with which I was not familiar. :blush:

Anyway, I took this snap of an Amilcar. Pleased to see the driver is not wearing a scarf...

Posted Image

#89 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,107 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:37

During the course of the 1987 Daytona 24 Hours, the Porsche 962 of Derek Bell, Chip Robinson and Al Under Jr broke a side window, which allowed heat from the engine to enter the cockpit, turning the car into a mobile sauna. When Unser dragged himself out of the car with 2.5 hours remaining due to heat exhaustion, with both Bell and Robinson still recovering, team owner Al Holbert stepped in for a two hour stint, before Bell was able to drive the final 30 minutes, winning the race. The $51,500 first prize was evenly split between all four drivers.

#90 Spa65

Spa65

• 53 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 13:08

I seem to remember reading once that during a Belgian Grand Prix at Spa, Dan Gurney was so desperate to go to the loo that he stopped the car to urinate somewhere before continuing the race. Presumably not in front of the grandstands.

#91 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,107 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:49

The Rothmans Porsche 956 of Jacky Ickx and Derek Bell had to drive ten seconds off their qualifying time for the Silverstone round of the 1982 World Sportscar Championship, in order to save enough fuel to get to the finish. This was because the car had been given a fuel allocation of 600 litres, which was the standard amount for 1000 kilometre races. Unfortunately the race at Silverstone was run to a traditional six hour format, that amounted to 1,118 kilometres for the winning Lancia LC1, hence the need for the 956 to slow down to ensure that the extra 118 kilometres could be covered.

#92 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 878 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 21:31

I seem to remember reading once that during a Belgian Grand Prix at Spa, Dan Gurney was so desperate to go to the loo that he stopped the car to urinate somewhere before continuing the race. Presumably not in front of the grandstands.

One of the riders on the SBK support package took a leak under the main Silverstone International Grandstand during grid preparation for the 2012 event. Fortunately since the grandstand is quite high most people would probably not have been able to see him.

Derek Warwick drove a couple of laps around Brands Hatch in the 1983 European GP with a fire extinguisher letting itself go directly into his visor. He still managed to finish 5th.

A driver in the Clio Cup at last weeks Donington Park BTCC meeting had the extinguishers go off in qualifying when he bounced over some kerbs and was barred from returning to the session as obviously the extinguishers were depleted. Being interviewed by Alan Hyde over the PA he replied that he wasn't concerned about the car setting on fire since he was now covered in foam and would be safe...

#93 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,107 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 00:12

The Delage drivers during the RAC Grand Prix at Brooklands in 1926 all suffered burns due to heat from the engine coming back up through the firewall and onto the pedals. The drivers resorted to wrapping their feet in cloth and putting them in cold water to get some relief when not driving.

#94 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,262 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:16

The Delage drivers during the RAC Grand Prix at Brooklands in 1926 all suffered burns due to heat from the engine coming back up through the firewall and onto the pedals. The drivers resorted to wrapping their feet in cloth and putting them in cold water to get some relief when not driving.

Bill Wigzell when driving I think the Rowe Renault midget had hot feet every week, He was often seen hobbling around in his socks after a feature race. Or on one occasion had his feet in the Esky!

#95 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,762 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:54

The situation had been worse at the earlier European GP at San Sebastian. It was a really hot day – temperatures up to 110°F – and the drivers suffered terribly. For a while all the cars were stationary at the pits with no-one willing or able to drive them. Then a cooling breeze sprang up, the drivers recovered somewhat, and one car eventually managed to finish second to a Bugatti. The Brooklands race was their only other appearance that year.

The problem resulted from having the exhaust on the same side of the car as the driver, meaning that the exhaust passed very close to the driver’s feet. For the following year the engine was redesigned so that the inlet and exhaust swapped sides, moving the exhaust well away from the driver’s feet. End of problem, and the car dominated the 1927 season.

#96 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 878 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 20:43

Not nostalgia yet, but one day perhaps. Peter Kox's bad luck at the Bathurst 12 Hours continued in 2014 when his Lamborghini was eliminated early on after both striking a wallaby that took off the front end of the car and damaged the engine, and he was hit by bits of equipment left by the television crew that installed the rear-facing camera in the car and that almost got stuck under the pedals.

#97 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,107 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:30

I spoke on the phone to a chap who raced stock cars at the Windsor RSL Speedway in the mid 1950's. His car, a '35 Ford, would be in 2nd gear for the whole lap. There was one problem though - the car would jump out of gear. Solution - attach a loop of rope from the gear lever to the rollcage, to physically keep the car in 2nd gear!

#98 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,933 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 13:46

At this year's NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Talladega, a caution flag had to be thrown due to one of the caution lights falling apart and landing on the track.

#99 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 668 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 14:57

An un-named F1 driver in the late 1990s, IIRC, blamed underwhelming performances on acute discomfort in the cockpit, caused by genital herpes.

I can guess who that was.

Advertisement

#100 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 878 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 21:14

At this year's NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Talladega, a caution flag had to be thrown due to one of the caution lights falling apart and landing on the track.

Better than at Bristol where the caution lights went on by mistake when someone leant on the over-ride switch in the flag post.

http://www.nascar.co...n-reaction.html

Although it was actually quite fortunate since a moment later a heavy cloudburst hit the track which would not have been pleasant with green flag running.