Photo

Monaco on the cheap...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dmruth

dmruth

• 15 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 21:04

I have the great fortune of having a chance to be in Europe during the month of May and as it's everyone’s (OK, mine) dream to see a race in the principality I was thinking I might have a go at it... :clap:

Now the title of this thread may look like an oxymoron, but I'm hoping some folks here might have some ideas.

How can I do Monaco on the cheap? Tickets look to be about at least $450... Is there anyplace that I can stay for a reasonable cost? Hostels maybe? :

Any ideas?

Best,
Doug

Advertisement

#2 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 23:33

check out places on the border to monaco with france and italy
france might be more expensive as the race is the week after the cannes film festival so italy may be your best choice

#3 racing_lines

racing_lines

• 89 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 15:46

It really does depend on what level of accomodation you want... but if you'd like my advice, camp!

There are only two campsites in the area and if I were you I'd go for the one in Menton, it's about a half hour walk up the hill from the bp garage on the roundabout. At this roundabout you can jump on the regular bus to Monaco for 2.5 Euros. Then walk the streets until you find a good vantage point.;)

If you really don't want to pay a penny then the hill which overlooks the paddock and la rascasse is without a doubt the place to be. Some people even set up camp here!!! It's totally free and by Sunday it is RAMMED. So get there early doors! :D

Despite what you hear, Monaco really can be done on the cheap... although a pint at La Rascasse, which incidentally is completely mental most nights of the weekend as is Stars and Bars, will set you back about 9 Euros... ouch! :( It's a good place to hang out after hours though. You'll bump into the odd commentator / team member getting lashed on thursday night!

Monaco will blow your mind, but trust me, you don't have to blow your overdraft to enjoy it!

#4 Azur

Azur

• 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:29

Hi Doug

Check out this page for a very good and well priced hotel in a village a few minutes up the road from Monaco.

http://angloinfo.com/wo/gp2005/

Race tickets also available there as well, but you need to ask them for what you want.

cheers
azur

#5 racing_lines

racing_lines

• 89 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:08

Oooh, also I noticed one thing that was very cool in 2004.

If you arrive the week before the race, take a walk up the hill from St Devote towards Massenet. Half way up Beau Rivage, on the right, is a small restaurant (not the marble one with glass partitions, that's mega pricey... the one before it!)

Last season they were doing a deal where for about 90 or 100 Euros you could get a lovely Sunday lunch on raceday. You don't need grandstand seats as you are literally by the side of the track... lunch therefore guarantees entry to the circuit and a mega view.

But get there the week before to avoid dissapointment!

#6 dmruth

dmruth

• 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 16:26

Wow, thanks folks!

This is some great advice. I think I am going to have a go at camping... My only fear is that I will be arriving the thursday before the face and there may not be room. My other option is to get a hostel in Nice. I found some for about 15 Euros...

This has all been great info. I certainly have a better idea at what I will be looking at now. I will certainly frequent La Rascasse and Stars & Bars. I have yet to decide on whether to get a ticket... Hmmmm...

Thanks again... I will give full details when I get back of course!

:up: