Photo

Lola T70 Mk3B

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,572 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 14:02

Whilst rattling through some old racing data sheets I stumbled upon a Press Sheet from Marsh Plant Hire. In it there were details of the T70 Mk3B they ran. The following are edited high lights:

Lola T70 Mk3B - SL76/148 - Sold to Picko Troberg through Swedish agent Jo Bonnier. The car was then sold on to Barrie Smith in the UK. Mike Weatherill then purchased it and converted it into a ROAD CAR. It was eventually purchased by Richard Bond who converted it back to racing spec. Finally Marsh Plant Hire purchased the car.

This press release from the 80s does go into more detail on the races etc so if there is interest I can post that as well. :cool:

Advertisement

#2 HEROS

HEROS

• 239 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 14:48

Hello Steve,

I am ready to read more detail on the races of the Lola ... :yawn:

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,572 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 18:45

1969 and in the Nurburgring 1000kms Picko Troberg was joined by Bjorn Rothstein who crashed the car heavily. The car was rebuilt by Lola in August of that year before being sold to Barrie Smith.

Smith raced in Buenos Aires with Ed swart as his co-driver in January 1970. Smith then crashed heavily in the Brands Hatch 1000kms on the first lap - the incident causing the now famous Rodriguez Black Flag incident. Smith had the car rebuilt and later in the season took part in the Kyalami 9 Hour race being co-driven by Jackie Pretorius.

In 1971 Michael Weatherill bought it and had it converted to a road going supercar!

Richard Bond then bought the car in 1974 when it was returned to competition status.
During 1975-76 Bond took two firsts, a second, a fifth and a seventh place in the HSCC events.

Marsh Plant Hire purchased the car in November 1976. Richard Bond continued to drive the car and achieved some superb results.
1977 BAT Series - 4 Firsts and 2 Seconds.
1978 Two Class wins
1979 Wild Rose series - 3 Firsts and 1 Second.

In 1980 the car was 'rested' and some restoration work undertaken.

In 1981 Gerry Marshall was lined up to drive.

Here endeth the details available. :cool:

#4 MCS

MCS

• 4,696 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 19:14

I wonder if this was the "road-going" T70 that appeared in various magazines at the time then...?

Mark

#5 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 10:28

Ehem... Picko Troberg owned two Lola T70's during 1969. Both crashed. The first one was crashed by Rothstein at Nürburgring and hardly rebuilt if you have seen pictures from the crash.
The second one was crashed by Ronnie Peterson at Österreichring.

#6 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,572 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:01

Tomas, the material concerned was gathered from a PRESS RELEASE by Marsh Plant Hire. I have no reason to suspect they were wrong however the wrecked car may well have gone back to Lola and a new chassis substituted whilst the chassis plate was transferred. Common practice back then due to Carnet Regulations.

#7 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 20:45

According to what Picko has written about that car, he still has the remains of the 148 chassis and that he was very surprised to see another "148" out racing.
There is more to research here...

#8 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 20:55

HSCC meeting at Thruxton September 1980 : pole Malcolm Clube McLaren M1C ,White GT40 and Mike Wheatley's Lola T70

Posted Image

#9 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 18:48

I have no reason to suspect they were wrong however the wrecked car may well have gone back to Lola and a new chassis substituted whilst the chassis plate was transferred. Common practice back then due to Carnet Regulations.

I wouldn't be surprised if Troberg's second Lola also had number 148. It was crashed in the first race at Österreichring in late July 1969, by Ronnie Peterson.
I have found a note in a Swedish magazine, when Barrie Smith raced his Lola in Sweden, that he had the ex-Troberg car.