Photo

'Un Homme et une Femme' 1966

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Evo One

Evo One

• 234 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:18

Last night on Arte (a French satellite TV channel that we get here in Sardinia) I watched a very good movie dating from 1966 with Jean-Louis Trintignant in the lead role and co-starring a rather gorgeous Anouk Amée.

There were some very good shots of (I think) the 1965 Le Mans race and possibly the 1966 Monte Carlo rally. The star took part in the rally in a Ford Mustang which of course, he won :cool:

Many interesting cars of that era appeared in the newsreel footage used in the film and as a Lancia fanatic, I was pleased to see both a Flavia Coupe and a Flavia Sport competing in the rally.

Does anyone know any more about the action shots shown - in particular the single seater driven by the star at what appears to be Montlhery.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,856 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:46

We've touched on this film in a number of threads. This search, using "Femme" as a keyword will find all of them:

http://forums.atlasf...rder=descending

I think you may find it answers all your questions :D

/me waits for Ray Bell .... :lol:

#3 Evo One

Evo One

• 234 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 14:16

Thanks for that Vitesse - it is so difficult on TNF to start a discussion that hasn't happened before :cool:

So the single seater was a BT10.

#4 Mischa Bijenhof

Mischa Bijenhof

• 306 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 21:44

Off topic, but it's Anouk Aimee (and yes, I found this out by trying to find her pic via Google...)

#5 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 23:00

...and when I hum the theme music, my wife spontaneously combusts :blush:

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 10:46

Why are you waiting for me, Speedy?

Can't you hum by yourself?

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,856 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 10:50

Not right now - I have a streaming cold, blocked sinuses and a splitting headache. Apart from that I feel fine .... :rolleyes:

#8 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 12:46

Originally posted by Mischa Bijenhof
Off topic, but it's Anouk Aimee (and yes, I found this out by trying to find her pic via Google...)

Better: Anouk Aimée.

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 13:23

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Not right now - I have a streaming cold, blocked sinuses and a splitting headache. Apart from that I feel fine .... :rolleyes:

Move to a nicer climate...

#10 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:17

For anyone who is interested and who has not yet seen the film, TCM is showing Lelouch's "Un Homme et un femme" at 20:45 French time this evening.

Not to be missed.

Edward

#11 bill patterson

bill patterson

• 154 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:30

For some reason I recall the Ford Mustang to have been a Shelby GT350 or is it wishful thinking??

#12 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:08

Originally posted by SEdward
For anyone who is interested and who has not yet seen the film, TCM is showing Lelouch's "Un Homme et un femme" at 20:45 French time this evening.

Not to be missed.

Edward

That must be a french version of TCM? Listing I have for Sky/NTL/Telewest/Topup is 'Beetle juice' at that time :cry:
I don't recall this ever being televised here;I recall going to see it at the cinema in the 60s and being dissapointed that there was not much motor racing in it.

#13 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 21:00

and when I hum the theme music, my wife spontaneously combusts

From lust or exasperation? :)

I am going to my room now. :smoking:

#14 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:36

Even better, in my opinion, is "A Man And A Woman - Twenty Years Later". The opening sequence, especially, is great.

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:20

Not my view, however I saw the original when it was new... maybe you didn't?

Those opening scenes in the sequel are incomprehensible to me. With repeated shots of the same thing from different angles, wastage of quite good cars, it makes little sense and doesn't add to the plot.

And the plot needs something, I think.

All the same, it isn't the total bomb that some seem to find it. I'd watch it again.

#16 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 14:24

IMO, #1 is MUCH better than #2

#17 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 15:49

Don't you just love that scene where the kids are trying to talk to the waiter in English?

Patto... I think you might be right about that Mustang.

#18 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:31

:lol: The scene with the children and the waiter? The children's voices were dubbed by adults.

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:05

See what I mean? You didn't see it when it was new!

I don't know when they dubbed that film, but it was much better in French with subtitles...

Advertisement

#20 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 14:06

I'm sure many of you already know about this movie, but just in case I thought I'd mention it here.

Just in time for valentines day I can recommend a vintage movie that has both decent racing scenes and a love story your sweet heart will sit through.

http://www.netflix.c...=1548770384_0_0

The racing scenes are mostly the '65 monte carlo rally in a mustang, but they also have a start at LeMans and testing a GT-40 MkI at a high banked track somewhere. Also they test a F1 car of some kind, I think it's a Lotus but I could definitely be wrong.

Please post any other movies of this type.

Chuck

#21 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 14:15

I fear I may be "Dabba dabba da"-ing for the rest of the afternoon.

#22 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 14:45

:lol: Yeah it's a catchy tune. My wife was doing that this morning too.

CDB

#23 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 16:57

Originally posted by chuckbrandt
I'm sure many of you already know about this movie, but just in case I thought I'd mention it here.

Just in time for valentines day I can recommend a vintage movie that has both decent racing scenes and a love story your sweet heart will sit through.

http://www.netflix.c...=1548770384_0_0

The racing scenes are mostly the '65 monte carlo rally in a mustang, but they also have a start at LeMans and testing a GT-40 MkI at a high banked track somewhere. Also they test a F1 car of some kind, I think it's a Lotus but I could definitely be wrong.

Please post any other movies of this type.

Chuck

Unfortunately, the second film, done 20 years later, isn't very good. I think the film "The Racers" would fit in to this genre...

#24 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 19:47

There is another thread on this film:

http://forums.autosp...&threadid=76498

and it features in several other threads, including:

http://forums.autosp...s=&postid=21319

http://forums.autosp...&postid=1122237

http://forums.autosp...&postid=1238948

with very conflicting opinions - some love it, some hate it. I must get around to seeing it for myself someday. ;)

#25 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 20:21

The "F1" car being tested was simply the Brabham BT15-FVA F2 owned by Ford France and driven by Joe Schlesser before he got in the MATRA MS5. :)

#26 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 20:53

The world's first FVA?

#27 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 21:07

MAE I butt in?

I can see Twinny sharpening his merging skills with this one...

The sequel wasn't so bad, I thought. But it tended to go to some extremes. The reason for the sequel happening, of course, is the main point...

The people involved in the original made an agreement that they'd get together and make the sequel if the first proved to be the success they felt it was to be. I think it's great that all the main players were to be seen in it twenty years older.

Problem is the writer seems to have become senile.

Oh yeah... it was Monthlery.

#28 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 23:02

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Oh yeah... it was Monthlery.

Is that anywhere near Montlhery? Or even Montlhéry? :)

#29 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 23:08

I can see Twinny sharpening his merging skills with this one...

;)

#30 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 23:53

FVA, MAE... what do I know! :lol:
Yes, it was at Montlhéry. I was there testing when they shot that scene.
Eh better "Monthlery" than spelling Reims, "Rheims" and pronouncing it as such ("Reemss"... :mad: ).
I personally could not go through the long, agonizing, pulled-by-the-hair dripping love story in the first one, and will avoid the second by raising my mental draw bridge all the way. How could anyone actually do a remake of that loser with music for the depressed?

The racing scenes are cool. ;)

#31 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:39

Originally posted by David McKinney

You knew I failed French, didn't you?

How are you getting on with the errors in the Tasman edition of Vintage Racecar?

#32 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:08

:smoking: I disagree. Both films were great. The first with testing at Montlhery, Monte Carlo Rally footage was great, acting was realistic - I bought he was a race driver - and it was a great unrequited love story brilliantly photographed. Black and white white color sequences effectively inserted. The second was equally, in my opinion, great. Great opening scene, realistic if somewhat unlikely stoy, girlfriend on rally is utterly equisite but fatefully devoted to her boyfriend, who has aged well after 20 years, as has his co-star who realistically however unlikely he hooks up with after so many years and then has to make a decision. Great Dakar recce material. I have seen them both several times and enjoy them equally. Liked the music, too.

#33 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:57

What the original loses today is that it's been dubbed in English...

I don't mind the subtitles, it seems.

#34 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:39

Originally posted by T54
better "Monthlery" than spelling Reims, "Rheims" and pronouncing it as such ("Reemss"... :mad: ).

Rheims is the correct English spelling, though the French usage seems to be equally - perhaps even more - acceptable these days

How are you getting on with the errors in the Tasman edition of Vintage Racecar?

I don't see Vintage Racecar. Who wrote their article?

#35 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:50

.....I don't see Vintage Racecar. Who wrote their article?

Most of it was by Patrick Quinn or interviews with some of the drivers. There's a couple of photo caption errors, which could have come from anywhere (Leo in a Lotus 20 in 1964?)...

Main thing is that I sent them an e.mail and their response has been positive, they want me to condense it all so they can publish it to set things straight. I like that attitude.

#36 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 16:13

If you buy the 3 disk WB Collectors edition, set, look if it works well.,
The set is not for sale in the Netherlands, but I found an de Luxe 3 disk WB 3 DVD set that included both the Man and a Women and a Man, and a Woman 20 years later plus a bonus DVD at a French Videoshop on Ebay.
It seems that the Information of both disc 1 and disc 3 is that of Disc 3, the bonus DVD.
The labels on the disc are number 1 and 3 however!
The first movie is NOT ON THE DISKS AT ALL..
The set seems perfectly Legal!

I have asked Warner Bros if this could be a production error, but the only answer I recieved is that they don't support there DVD's if you have brought them on the Internet!
Good service from Warner Bros!!
Paul

#37 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 16:24

Monthlery is the way it is spelled on the 12 Heures of Paris Coupe Olazur (10 Septembre 1939) poster :(

#38 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 16:26

Originally posted by Ralliart
:smoking: I disagree. Both films were great. The first with testing at Montlhery, Monte Carlo Rally footage was great, acting was realistic - I bought he was a race driver - and it was a great unrequited love story brilliantly photographed. Black and white white color sequences effectively inserted. The second was equally, in my opinion, great. Great opening scene, realistic if somewhat unlikely stoy, girlfriend on rally is utterly equisite but fatefully devoted to her boyfriend, who has aged well after 20 years, as has his co-star who realistically however unlikely he hooks up with after so many years and then has to make a decision. Great Dakar recce material. I have seen them both several times and enjoy them equally. Liked the music, too.

Ya, but you are a rally guy. I don't think most would agree that the 2nd was anywhere near as good as the first...

#39 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 18:24

Originally posted by dretceterini

Monthlery is the way it is spelled on the 12 Heures of Paris Coupe Olazur (10 Septembre 1939) poster

Posted Image

Ooops! Someone has got it wrong then........

Advertisement

#40 AU1000S

AU1000S

• 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:24

In the scene at the start of the 24hrs. of Le Mans ( 1965} they show Dan Gurney and then pan for a split second to goofy looking 14 year old with a cowboy hat and a girl with binoculars. That kid is me and the girl, my sister. When I saw the movie in 1967 I was in Michigan and was so surprised I stood up in the middle of the movie theater and yelled out loud.."that's ME".!!! You have never seen a more embarassed teen-ager in your life.
I was an Army brat in France and we had gotten there early in the morning and taken up the front row station so as not to miss the 4pm (I think) start. Phil

#41 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:08

Fabulous... and you joined up to let us know?

You must have got over your embarrassment then!

#42 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 16:24

Originally posted by Alan Cox

Posted Image

Ooops! Someone has got it wrong then........

Yes, the 1939 Geo Ham poster is wrong....don't know how....but it is...

#43 rolando

rolando

• 151 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:51

Originally posted by AU1000S
In the scene at the start of the 24hrs. of Le Mans ( 1965} they show Dan Gurney and then pan for a split second to goofy looking 14 year old with a cowboy hat and a girl with binoculars. That kid is me and the girl, my sister. When I saw the movie in 1967 I was in Michigan and was so surprised I stood up in the middle of the movie theater and yelled out loud.."that's ME".!!! You have never seen a more embarassed teen-ager in your life.
I was an Army brat in France and we had gotten there early in the morning and taken up the front row station so as not to miss the 4pm (I think) start. Phil

This is the scene you describe...

Pedro Rodríguez also appears signing autographs :)

And the famous Monthléry footage

#44 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 17:14

I fisrt saw the movie in the mid sixties when I still was a teenager.
For the last 2 years or so, I tried to get the DVD Un Homme et Une Femme,
When on trips in the north of France..
I have been In Duinkerken to the Alsace
However, until now I never could lay my hands on the DVD.
I have an aother 3 DVD set about for years now. but the first DVD on the set does not work,
even if it is an original Warner Brothers set.
Asked WB about that, but they don't bother.

#45 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:13

I don't know what I've posted before on this thread, but I do have the movie (and the sequel) on video. Where the videos are, I have no idea. I cannot remember how long it is since I watched a video!

But I saw the movie at the movies on the recommendation of Road & Track, I saw it on commercial TV on a 'Sunday Night at the Movies' spot some time in the seventies... it must be the only foreign language movie to have shown in such a spot in Australia until A Beautiful Life came along, I'm sure.

But my video is dubbed, which detracts from the movie. I much preferred it with sub-titles.

Anyway, here's the (very brief!) part of that clip that shows the kid and his sister:

Posted Image

Thanks for pointing to the You Tube clip.

#46 geoffg

geoffg

• 25 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:09

This brings back memories. I saw "A Man and a Woman" as a 11 year old... and had forgotten how much in love with Anouk I was.... gee - and also to cars. Not such a big leap.

I'm afraid to see it again. It might not be as good. Boy, was it special!

#47 dmj

dmj

• 2,251 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:26

You don't have to be afraid, it is a good movie.
Actually, it shouldn't be - plot is tiny, mixing of color and b/w scenes not an artistic idea but due to the fact they ran out of money for more color film...
But somehow everything works.
Cars have magic, love story somehow has it, whole movie has it.
Real classic. A bit accidental one but surely a classic.

Edited by dmj, 22 July 2010 - 10:26.

#48 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:07

a rather gorgeous Anouk Amée.

Rather gorgeous! Man - she was a babe of the first water, definitely in my top ten of the world's most beautiful women.

My wife made me buy the LP of the soundtrack.

#49 AlMark

AlMark

• 82 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 17:27

This is pretty common knowledge, but the main theme music was by Frances Lai, a fim composer of note who also composed the music for Love Story.

One of my favorite scenes included the silver Porsche 904 going through the mountains in a snow storm. The 904 is on my top 5 list of most beautiful sports racing cars.

#50 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 19:47

This is pretty common knowledge, but the main theme music was by Frances Lai, a fim composer of note who also composed the music for Love Story.

One of my favorite scenes included the silver Porsche 904 going through the mountains in a snow storm. The 904 is on my top 5 list of most beautiful sports racing cars.

I saw the movie back in 1968,
the Love Theme....
was very populair then...
Hope to attract some help from France:
There is a dvd in a series called ELLE :
Un Homme et une femme...
But where do I get it?
Paul Hooft
Netherlands