USAC, CART and Champ Car history

• Please log in to reply
2612 replies to this topic

#101 gerrit stevens

gerrit stevens

• 248 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:58

Originally posted by subh

A belated reply, but I don’t believe Alessandro Nannini ever appeared in CART. Can anyone confirm evidence to the contrary?

Of course you are right. Besides I don't see Nannini as an also ran in F1. I meant of course Alessandro Zanardi.

Gerrit Stevens

Advertisement

#102 brickyard

brickyard

• 605 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 18:01

Hi,

The recent news that Herdez Competition changed is name to HVM, remind me about other CART teams that changed their names and owners allong the way.
Some by merges, some by sale. How about trying to trace them all?

I can start with this ones which I remember without looking at my database

Bobby Hillin's Longhorn Racing, then sold to Chris Kneifel became Primus Racing and finaly sold to Ron Hemelgarn became Hemelgarn Racing.

Rahal-Hogan Racing, then splited in two: Team Rahal and Hogan Racing (also a year as Penske-Hogan Racing)

Vince Granatelli Racing, then Bob Tezak became co-owner in 1991 and the team renamed UNO-Granatelli Racing, and again Vince Granatelli Racing after some races that year.

Fortsythe-Green Racing, split in two: Team Green and Forsythe Racing.

Pac West Racing Group, then PWR Racing.

Galles Racing and KRACO Racing, merged in Galles-KRACO Racing, and Galles Racing International after the split.

Tasman Motorsports became Forsythe Championship Racing.

Any ideas how many more??...

#103 Disco Stu

Disco Stu

• 186 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 19:17

Among the current teams, PKV Racing started out as PK Racing. Craig Pollock left and Dan Pettit and Jimmy Vasser were brought in as owners. Dale Coyne Racing was known as Payton-Coyne Racing for a number of years when Walter Payton was a co-owner. Forsythe has gone through a number of changes. It started as Forsythe-Brown Racing in 1982, though I don't know how long Brown stuck around before it became just Forsythe Racing. There was the Forsythe-Green hookup that you mentioned. There was also a satellite team called Forsythe Championship Racing that ran Bryan Herta a few years ago. It was originally called Forsythe-Zakspeed Racing, but after a couple races it became obvious the Zakspeed money wasn't going to show up and their name was dropped.

#104 Gert

Gert

• 209 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 22:46

* Simon / Scandia
I seem to remember Dick Simon Racing becoming Scandia (one Mr. Evans?) and returning to be Simon Racing afterwards.

* Arciero
IIRC Arciero Racing teamed up with some teams during a few years.
Dick Simon Racing and Project Racing Group spring to mind

* Bettenhausen / Herdez / HVM
The team currently known as Herdez (the future HVM) isn't that in fact the continuation of Bettenhausen Racing after Tony Jr. passed away?

Originally posted by brickyard
Hi,

Vince Granatelli Racing, then Bob Tezak became co-owner in 1991 and the team renamed UNO-Granatelli Racing, and again Vince Granatelli Racing after some races that year.

Didn't Doug Shierson Racing fit somewhere in this UNO-Granatelli thing?

#105 Muzza

Muzza

• 799 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 22:49

A suggestion for someone looking for a little interesting project... why not displaying all these changes on team names and ownership in a diagram, such a genealogical tree, with splits, merges and name changes horizontally aligned by year?

Any volunteer?

#106 vintagerpm

vintagerpm

• 29 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 01:52

Originally posted by Gert

* Bettenhausen / Herdez / HVM
The team currently known as Herdez (the future HVM) isn't that in fact the continuation of Bettenhausen Racing after Tony Jr. passed away?

That's correct.

#107 gbl

gbl

• 450 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:56

Arciero teamed up with Cal Wells from 1996-99, Wells ran PPI by himself in 2000.
In 2000 we have Arciero-Project Racing Group.
For 2001 we have Arciero-Brooke, later Arciero-Blair.
Project Racing Group (formally known as Project Indy) tried to continue with two Reynards for 2001 but that didn't work out, so they partnered with DC as Coyne-PRG an ran two races with the Lolas.

Shierson ran the Mackenzie car as a second entry in 1990. He sold that car with Scott Goodyear in 1991 to Bob Tezak. So Tezak was involved in two teams in 1991 - there is a thread in champcarfanatics about this.

I think I can add Bignotti-Cotter, that was just Team Cotter in 1985. I think Forsythe started with Brayton Racing in 1981. Pace Racing somehow transformed into the Raynor team. Hayhoe started as Hayhoe-Cole, Dick Simon was somehow involved into this; Walker as Walker-Cosby. Don't know about George Walther, but usually entered his cars under Dayton-Walther and later as US Engineering after his comeback.

Do you wanna know something really ugly: work your way through Mike Curb / Rattlesnake Racing / AAR and AAR / Theodore Racing - have fun :wave:

I'll do a diagram of all the teams, but that will take some days :)

#108 brickyard

brickyard

• 605 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 17:06

Don't know about George Walther, but usually entered his cars under Dayton-Walther and later as US Engineering after his comeback

The US Engineering, wasn't the same team although they shared the "Walther" name. In fact this team was Todd Walther Racing (owners: Todd & Lynn Walther)
The Dayton-Walther team owner was George Walther from Walmotors, Dayton, Ohio (but I still don't know if he's from Todd's family)
My source is the "1991 CART Media Guide"

I think Forsythe started with Brayton Racing in 1981

Only as a sponsor, I think.

Walker as Walker-Cosby

Derrick Walker's team started as Walker Motorsports in 1991 over the assets of the Porsche team, and changed is name to walker racing latter. I think the Cosby was just a sponsor (the money man in fact) of Willy T. Ribbs, and he wasn't a co-owner of the team.

In 1990 the Raynor team was renamed Raynor-Cosby Racing Team, because Ribbs was on the team, and Cosby was his major sponsor.

#109 gbl

gbl

• 450 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 17:53

Yeah, I messed up with Cosby, you're right. George Walther was involved in buying the factory Penske chassis for Phil Krueger. I also saw an ad from 1989 called "35 years Walther at Indy" so there is a connection.

#110 Gert

Gert

• 209 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 18:21

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gbl

Shierson ran the Mackenzie car as a second entry in 1990. He sold that car with Scott Goodyear in 1991 to Bob Tezak. So Tezak was involved in two teams in 1991 - there is a thread in champcarfanatics about this.
[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Wasn't Scott Goodyear involved with a team called O'Donnell Racing around that time?
Or was that Tezak's team?

[QUOTE][QUOTE]Originally posted by brickyard
Derrick Walker's team started as Walker Motorsports in 1991 over the assets of the Porsche team, and changed is name to walker racing latter. I think the Cosby was just a sponsor (the money man in fact) of Willy T. Ribbs, and he wasn't a co-owner of the team.

In 1990 the Raynor team was renamed Raynor-Cosby Racing Team, because Ribbs was on the team, and Cosby was his major sponsor.
[/QUOTE]

Wasn't Derrick Walker somehow involved in the running of Raynor(-Cosby)?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by gbl

Arciero teamed up with Cal Wells from 1996-99, Wells ran PPI by himself in 2000.
In 2000 we have Arciero-Project Racing Group.
For 2001 we have Arciero-Brooke, later Arciero-Blair.
[/QUOTE]

I seem to remember there was a year when Arciero and Simon were working together too. Maybe that was only a technical relationship, not a merged team, or something.

I think there was a (general) article about IndyCar/Cart in Auto-Hebdo which mentioned that fact and showed a picture of Simon's race shop with his own car(s) and Arciero's car.
IIRC, that was the time when Matsushita was running for Arciero.

Mind you, all this without my materials at hand, so I may be wrong on all 3 occasions :)

Anyway Disk Simon Racing has always confused me with its entries - they also ran a car for French Team FPE (Fomula Project Engineering) for Philippe Gache, and sometimes had cars looked after by others as well - Greg Beck? Dennis McCormack? ... At least that's how I understood it ...

--

One not yet mentioned: Garza - Psachie/Garza (sp?) - Machinists Union ? Wasn't there some relation between them too?

#111 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 18:48

Many famous car owners act or started as sponsors, before they run their own operation.

Forsythe brothers -Brayton Engineering
Mike Curb - Rattlesnake Racing
Aat Groenevelt(Provimi Veal/Provimi Racing owner) - H&R Racing(Wayne Hillis&Jack Rogers)
Maurice Kraines(Kraco) - Larry Cannon
Mo Nunn(Theodore Racing)-AAR

Sometimes its really hard to understand who is owner/entrant,who is sponsor.
Very interesting thread.

#112 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 19:14

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by gbl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting. Wasn't Scott Goodyear involved with a team called O'Donnell Racing around that time?
Or was that Tezak's team?[/B]

Story about O`Donnell Racing
according 90-91 Men& Machines of Indy Car Racing

"Estabilished as a subsidiary of Team Shierson,Jim O`Donnel`s team was one of just six to log more than 3000 miles in competition during the season,with Canadian Scott Goodyear posting no less than nine top ten finishes along the way.The Bob Hancher-managed team was duly rewarded at season`s end as Goodyear earned STPs "Most Improved Driver" award, the Master Mechanic award for "Most Improved Chief Mechanic" went to Dick Caron and PPG cited the distinctive blue and silver Mackenzie Financial Services Lola for its outstanding use of color"

#113 Gert

Gert

• 209 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 19:19

Originally posted by malvi
quote:
Story about O`Donnell Racing
according 90-91 Men& Machines of Indy Car Racing

Thanks, Malvi!

About the quote you posted, I suppose it reflects the 1990 season then?

#114 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 19:28

Thanks, Malvi!

About the quote you posted, I suppose it reflects the 1990 season then

Yes

All described awards went to O`Donnell racing in 1990.

#115 brickyard

brickyard

• 605 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 19:30

Very interesting thread

:blush: Thank you, I do my best to bring here interesting subjects.

Wasn't Derrick Walker somehow involved in the running of Raynor(-Cosby)?

Not at all.
Derrick Walker worked from the '70's at Penske Racing and left the team to join Al Holbert's Porsche indycar Team in late 1988. He stayed two years with the team and when the germans went away he bought the team's assets and founded his own team. The ralation with Cosby was in 1991 (as I mentioned earlier) when Willy T. Ribbs raced for Walker and Cosby was "the money man". The Raynor team closed it's doors in late 1990.

#116 Disco Stu

Disco Stu

• 186 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 19:36

Originally posted by Gert
Anyway Disk Simon Racing has always confused me with its entries - they also ran a car for French Team FPE (Fomula Project Engineering) for Philippe Gache, and sometimes had cars looked after by others as well - Greg Beck? Dennis McCormack? ... At least that's how I understood it ...

Simon would often lease out a car and crew to someone with a few dollars looking to run. He often took ride buyers at Indy, sometimes they would drive the car as part of Dick Simon Racing, sometimes the car would get run under the name of whomever paid for the ride. There was no actual difference between the two other than the name, but it makes things confusing trying to track it all.

#117 John B

John B

• 6,329 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 17:19

Can't remember the exact names but what about Tom Sneva's Texaco teams in 1983-1984. Was it Bignotti's team in 1983 then Teddy Mayer's in 1984 (added Howdy Holmes and the Jiffy Mix car for 1984)?

#118 StickShift

StickShift

• 5,386 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 18:08

PK Racing rose from the ashes of the old PWR/Pacwest team.

Pacwest -> PWR Racing -> PK Racing -> PKV Racing

#119 TheStranger

TheStranger

• 185 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 20:19

Originally posted by John B
Can't remember the exact names but what about Tom Sneva's Texaco teams in 1983-1984. Was it Bignotti's team in 1983 then Teddy Mayer's in 1984 (added Howdy Holmes and the Jiffy Mix car for 1984)?

Sneva and Texaco each went to Mayer, while Bignotti soldiered on with True Value sponsorship and Roberto Guerrero. I THINK this evolved into the Vince Granatelli team, but I'm not sure.

Texaco left Champcar between 85 and 88, then in 89 the Bayside Disposal IMSA team brought it in for Dominic Dobson and later Jeff Andretti. That same year, they replaced Amoco as the Newman/Haas oil sponsor, and Havoline remains a personal sponsor of Mario and Paul Newman (even though they haven't been on the team cars since the 2002 season).

Advertisement

#120 gbl

gbl

• 450 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 22:16

OK, this was done quick and dirty, I'll add some comments later. Any input is welcome, a lot of the earlier cars are mysteries to me since I usually don't have pictures.

Champcar Teams overview

#121 Herbert

Herbert

• 340 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:41

What about Arizona Motorsports, Sinden Racing Services/SRS, Paragon Mspts. Weren`t they somehow connected through Jeff Sinden and Joe Kennedy?

#122 Herbert

Herbert

• 340 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:44

And in the IRL they (Sinden & Kennedy) entered cars for the racing dentist, Jack Miller, under the name of Crest Racing.

#123 Muzza

Muzza

• 799 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 15:41

Originally posted by gbl
OK, this was done quick and dirty, I'll add some comments later. Any input is welcome, a lot of the earlier cars are mysteries to me since I usually don't have pictures.

Champcar Teams overview

Great job, gbl! :up:

This is a very valuable diagram - I have been waiting for something like that for years, and I am sure I am not alone. I am going to be taking some hardcore CART/Champ Car fans to your page for additional comments.

A few suggestions:

1.) Bring close (but not on the same row - *) those "nephew" teams. For example, PK Racing and PKV Racing are not aligned with PWR Championship Racing, but RüSPORT is (*). I would bring PK Racing and PKV Racing closer to PWR Championship Racing, and put RüSPORT in a completely different line.

2.) (*) I would not list non-associated teams in the same row - it may be misleading, as people may relate things (such as Mi-Jack Conquest and Tasman) when they actually are not connected.
Or are Mi-JackConquest and Tasman somehow related?

3.) Use different styles (or colours) of arrows to indicate things like:
- change of name
- change of ownership
- change of name and ownership
- derivation (split)
- merging

Dont' forget a legend for that.

4.) Once you are satisfied with the general arrangement of the diagram, you can make a alphabetic index of team with quick links to specific points of the scheme - for example, clicking on Team Green in the index would take the visitor to the Team Green spot in the tree.

5.) You may also consider showing in smaller font (below the team name) the name of the team owners or drivers.

Thanks again, this is quite cool - and useful.

Cheers,

Muzza

#124 gbl

gbl

• 450 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 21:48

I have Pagan, I did not list Arizona Motorsports since they never started a race (the practiced for the 94 and 95 Indy) - same for other teams that didn't made a race in a season like Menard who DNQd at Indy 1989 etc.
I've already tried to align team in the right line to avoid long arrows across the sheet, but it sometimes gets messy because there are too many entities involved. I've recycled line because the whole diagram was getting WAY to long when I had a line per team. Relationships are shown by arrows or by having entries directly together (for satellite teams). Entries in the same line with no connection are not related. I intend to use different colours but often people had different views on the development of a team, so I'll rather give a foot note. It won't become "interactive" since it was just done with a diagram software and then exported as a graphic. OK, like I said so far all quick and dirty - give me some more time :)

#125 gbl

gbl

• 450 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 21:31

I've added a few things, more to come later.

#126 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:07

To gbl
Some additions and references to your chart.

Thunder Racing-owner Fred Ruth(image&story in 83 Indy yearbook-Dana Carter obituary)
Sanett Racing - Steve& Richard Sanett
Pacific Coast Racing-Owner Jack Lang
Stanton Racing-Gary Stanton(Ron Shuman sprint car owner&mentor too-built over 60 sprinters out in Arizona).
Lane Sports - third Penske entry in 80 - story according G.Kirby: "Penske also ran a third car in three other races for Tom Gloy.Although Gloy`s Formula Atlantic Championship mechanics prepared the PC6 which the rookie drove at Mid-Ohio and the PC7 he raced both in the California 500 and the Michigan,the yellow Lane Sports cars were run from Penske`s shop with the help of Penske`s team..."
Luxury Racers-definitely Norm Hall(magnificent story about him in 83 yearbook).
Rattlesnake Racing - Harry Schwartz&John Martin
Burger King - sponsor of Tom Frantz owned ex Foyt Coyote "Phantom" Chevy.
Empress Traveler -sponsor of GTS Racing(George T. Smith) .
McCray Racing - Joel F. McCray

Some more later if anybody interested.
All corrections and references are welcome - lot of things are mystery for me too.

#127 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 15:56

Additions vol 2

BCV Racing - owners: John Buttera(famous hot rod builder)&Ronnie Capps and ???(I dont know ´who is V).Buttera was chief mech too.
ROBCO Racing - owner Bob Liebert - ex Toyota Atlantic and Indy Lights team made the move to indy cars in 1992 with year old Truesport chassis.
Red Roof Inns 1985 - definitely Truesports entry.Jim Trueman run Bobby Rahal in 85(Budweiser) and prepared second car for Heimrath in Mid-Ohio.
Jim Trueman was founder and president of Red Roof Inns - largest privately owned and operated budget hotel chain in the United States at the time.(source: Cart media guide 86).

#128 gbl

gbl

• 450 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 21:07

Many thanks!!! I don't have a lot of reference material and you've been a big help. Some comments. McCray was also sponsoring on a Machinists car, I wasn't sure about his own entry. Emmo made his comeback in a "Jose Romero owned car" - the GTS entry. Do you know the connection to G.T.Smith? I only have a picture from 1982 where Tom Smith is mentioned as the car owner. Did Sanett Racing field the #86 AMS Oil Lola in 1979? Do you know anything about the #93 entry in 1979. I guess it was a second Wayne Woodward entry because of the same sponsors but haven't found out anything yet. Do you have any pictures / scans from the rare entries like the Norm Hall car, Burger King car, Tom Gloy car etc. I haven't much apart from the usual Indy qualification scans and I want to identify the chassis.

#129 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 12:04

to gbl
There are a lot of questions i do not have an answer - i can only guess.
I have been a long time indy car fan and i did some research by myself - something like in your superb website.I never saw any indy car race and i live far from original sources - i can only reference a books i have and collect - indy racing is my so called weird hobby.
About pics - i try to find/buy a scanner within a next month - i share all i have with pleasure.
OK- I`ll try to find something about GTS -what i know for sure,guy called Tom Smith mentioned as team manager -could it be George T. himself??? Hard to add something about Sanett and that weird #93 March thing -hmmm...Entrant listed as Raymond G. Reimer and car name was O`Hanlons
L`IL Cheaper??? But in 1980 in Indy the same weird march run in practice as #75 O`Hanlons Racing Team/O`Hanlon`s L`iL Cheaper - entrant W.Woodward -driver Bill Puterbaugh(Bob Harkey in entry list) - Image in 80 yearbook pg 92.?????? real mess...
Posted Image
just try...

#130 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 13:27

OK it`s working...(copyright unknown)
some addition about i`m sure
Raynor - owner Ray Neisewander
Stoops Racing - Jeff Stoops
to gbl
Little mistake i found on your website
Ross Bentley #27 entry in Vancouver 90
Entrant was TeamKar Inc(you have Coyne) owned by Keith Leighton&Roman Kuzma (also Jeff Andrettis unsuccessful attempt to qualify for indy and 17th at Milwaukee)
Comptech Racing - owners Doug Peterson& Don Erb
Brix Comptech Racing - Doug Peterson& Don Erb+Harry Brix
Team Scandia - owner Andy Evans(Former IMSA sports car driver/entrant
Burns Racing - Thom Burns
Mann Motorsports - Dave Mann
Paragon Motorsports -some sort of Simon operation managed by TeamKar guys(Leighton&Kuzma)
Hall/VDS - Jim Hall&Franz Weis(the team lost VDS namesake and patron Count Rudy van der Stratten after a long illness in 1992)

#131 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 15:03

additions vol 4
LA Drywall -owner Elmer Fields
Kargostopper - sponsor of Pacific-Summit Motorsport(Chuck Looper)
BDR Racing -#43 Steve Bren1988 Laguna Seca- some sort of last minute Arciero & AAR operation- race day strategy by Dan Gurney himself!!!
Newman Teamworks - owner Russell Newman(Bartlett IL)-140A Shepard,Wheeling,Illinois -six employees incl.RN himself(88 CART media guide) -eh-eh(sorry).
Mountain Computer - sponsor of J.P. Racing(I do not know what that means) runs Spike Gehlhausen in 1986.
To gbl
Miaskiewitcz 1986 #16 entrant was M-Group Racing (2265 S.Kalamath,Denver,CO,80223,owner R.Miaskiewitcz,driver R.Miaskiewitcz,chief mech.Mark Mercer)-media guide 1987

#132 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 16:26

Originally posted by malvi
Hard to add something about Sanett and that weird #93 March thing -hmmm...Entrant listed as Raymond G. Reimer and car name was O`Hanlons L`IL Cheaper??? But in 1980 in Indy the same weird march run in practice as #75 O`Hanlons Racing Team/O`Hanlon`s L`iL Cheaper - entrant W.Woodward -driver Bill Puterbaugh(Bob Harkey in entry list) - Image in 80 yearbook pg 92.?????? real mess...

We had discussed the Ray Reimer March several years ago, if you use the search function and put in the names Reimer and O'Hanlon TNF will come up with the goods :)

#133 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,921 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 16:27

It's actually Rick Miaskiewicz without the t.

Very impressive work, guys. :up:

#134 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 20:30

additions vol 5
ProFormance Motorsports - owners John Dick&Tim Duke
Indy Regency Racing - Olivier Grouillard&Sal Incandela
Pagan Racing - brothers operation: Allen& Jack Pagan
Formula Project - Emmanuel Lupe&Bruno Pequin(ex Larrousse F1 men)
McCormack Motorsports-joint venture with Arciero 91-92(Dennis McCormack was Arciero`s long time team manager)
Leader Card - Ralph Wilke(AJ Watson was team manager,chief mech,designer and maybe co-owner -i`m not sure).
PacWest - Bruce McCaw&Thomas Armstrong&Dominic Dobson

#135 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 21:01

The Dayton-Walther team owner was George Walther from Walmotors, Dayton, Ohio (but I still don't know if he's from Todd's family)

George was Todd and Salt's father.

#136 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 21:10

Originally posted by TheStranger
Sneva and Texaco each went to Mayer, while Bignotti soldiered on with True Value sponsorship and Roberto Guerrero. I THINK this evolved into the Vince Granatelli team, but I'm not sure.

That's correct. Cotter went solo after George retired following '84, then Vince took over once Cotter decided to contentrate more on the Olympics (IIRC) and other sports sponsorships.

#137 gbl

gbl

• 450 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 21:11

@fines: a #93 entry also appeared at some other USAC races in 1979 with the same sponsorship as the #81 car so that confuses me.

@malvi: Was the Teamcar entry totally independed? I think I read somewhere that Coyne or Simon where somehow involved. I only have a picture of Jeff Andretti and it looked like a Coyne car. EDIT: they were involved in the 1989 Randy Lewis Leader Card entry - this is getting messy...

I wonder if the Stoops racing entry was linked to Bettenhausen. I know that they bought an ex-Foyt car from Dale Coyne, but they used the #16/#17 and #61 and had Sony sponsorship - very much like Tony.

I can't remember the reason I linked Miaskiewitcz to Machinists Union, I have to search in my documents. I still hope for a picture to clarify this.

I only know that Arciero was sponsoring Ken Bren, didn't knew about Gurney's involvement.

The McCormack - Arciero connection explaines the #30 on the Arciero entry and also the fact that the original Arciero Racing went out of business but still appeared at the races - I'll leave it that way I have it now.

@theunions: Where the Walthers involved in the #77 Derek Daly entry in 1987??? The Pace Electronics team was renamed to Raynor in 1986, but this lone entry was still in the 1987 Indy field. The Walther's always used that number and Scott Harrington still had Pace Electronics sponsorship at the rear wing in 1989.

#138 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 23:26

Originally posted by gbl
@malvi: Was the Teamcar entry totally independed? I think I read somewhere that Coyne or Simon where somehow involved. I only have a picture of Jeff Andretti and it looked like a Coyne car. EDIT: they were involved in the 1989 Randy Lewis Leader Card entry - this is getting messy...

I can't remember the reason I linked Miaskiewitcz to Machinists Union, I have to search in my documents. I still hope for a picture to clarify this.

@theunions: Where the Walthers involved in the #77 Derek Daly entry in 1987??? The Pace Electronics team was renamed to Raynor in 1986, but this lone entry was still in the 1987 Indy field. The Walther's always used that number and Scott Harrington still had Pace Electronics sponsorship at the rear wing in 1989.

I have no reason to think so.

Miaskiewicz ran the #59 Machinists car at some '87 road courses, and he had Pizza Hut sponsorship around the same time the Machinists did in '86.

Leader Cards only ran the #24/29 for Carter in '89 - Lewis' was strickly a Teamkar entry.

#139 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:47

I am pretty sure TEAMKAR International(correct team name I think) was totally indipendent operation. - ex Indy Light team,made the move to indy cars in 1989 with Randy Lewis,then Bentley&Jeff Andretti in 1990.In 1991 they run Simons Matsushita operation(under the Paragon banner).And 1992 Kenji Momota DNQ at Indy 500 was TeamKar business too.
Can anybody confirm/disprove my vision about TeamKar???

Advertisement

#140 FLB

FLB

• 1,930 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 16:00

The Canadian Tire team listed for 1984 in the diagram was actually Pro-Formance Group, from Toronto. They qualified Howdy Holmes's March 83C at Indy before Villeneuve crashed in practice and thus failed to start.

#141 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 16:45

Arciero Project Indy was Simon/Arciero operation for Marco Greco in 1994(sometimes called Simon-
Arciero Project Indy)

#142 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 17:20

Some things I can only guess...
J&J Enterprises was sponsor of Ross Davis team.
Story about John Martin in Kirby`s yearbook:
"Another veteran to run an old four-cylinder-powered car last year(1980) was John Martin who drove a neatly prepared Wildcat mk1 in five races. Although Martin got a lot out of the old car it was never around at the finish.Owner Ross Davis also drove the Wildcat,making his indy car debut at the season opener."
In Indy yearbook(80) #37 Wildcat was entered for Ross Davis but John Martin was a guy bumped by Greg Leffler. Entrant was trio of gentelmen called Davis-Abramson-Land.

#143 gbl

gbl

• 450 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 18:43

We've already identified the 1981 Ross Davis car as a Wildcat Mk.II, adding another Mk.I doesn't make things easier.

#144 Disco Stu

Disco Stu

• 186 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 14:20

Add another to the list with today's announcement that Craig Gore and John Fish have bought a controlling interest in Walker Racing and rebadged it Team Australia.

#145 gbl

gbl

• 450 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 20:53

OK, also added Eric Jenson.

#146 brickyard

brickyard

• 605 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 22:02

Add another to the list with today's announcement that Craig Gore and John Fish have bought a controlling interest in Walker Racing and rebadged it Team Australia.

...hummm. : ... controlling interest... Could this be another case of "Brahma Sports Team, Pat Patrick issue" that only lived one year, or the "death" of walker's team as we know it? :rolleyes:

ProFormance Motorsports - owners John Dick&Tim Duke

The Canadian Tire team listed for 1984 in the diagram was actually Pro-Formance Group, from Toronto

Two different teams sharing the same name... or not?

We had discussed the Ray Reimer March several years ago, if you use the search function and put in the names Reimer and O'Hanlon TNF will come up with the goods

another one I've started. :cool:

It's here

I have been a long time indy car fan and i did some research by myself - something like in your superb website.I never saw any indy car race and i live far from original sources - i can only reference a books i have and collect - indy racing is my so called weird hobby.

:confused: A twin soul, I just found a twin soul of mine :clap:
You are absolutely right... It's a weird hobby, but someone has to have it. :up:

#147 brickyard

brickyard

• 605 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:02

Kargostopper - sponsor of Pacific-Summit Motorsport(Chuck Looper)

Could this be the so much attended answer to this one I've been looking for so many years?

#148 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:29

Could this be the so much attended answer to this one I've been looking for so many years?

CART/Men and Machines of Indy Car Racing 1988-89: p. 77, the only photo of the car I've ever seen. Head-on shot, looks like Mid-Ohio. Front wings say KargoStopper, rear wing says Pacific-Summit.

P. 90:

With Darin Brassfield up in their Kargo Stopper (sic) backed Lola T88/00 at Mid-Ohio and Laguna, the Chuck Looper-run Pacific Summit team displayed a professional approach to the sport and look to figure strongly in next year's "Rookie of the Year" honors.

Good thing I found this book at a local used bookstore about a year ago, huh? :)

So...what happened to the team? And whatever happened to Darin, for that matter?

#149 brickyard

brickyard

• 605 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 18:46

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Many thanks Theunions.

I don't know what happened with the team, as with Darin Brassfield, he turned his attention to sportcars latter.

#150 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 18:51

Actually Darin came from sports cars - I don't remember him doing much of that if at all afterwards.

Regarding the Walker Racing/Team Australia relationship, this was in the Walker press release I just received:

Said team owner Derrick Walker, “I first approached Craig about the Team Australia Racing concept as a way he could be involved in the sport by bringing in sponsorships and also share in some ownership of the race program element only. This involvement provides sponsorship assets without having to buy into my race team. Walker Racing is still 100% owned by me and continues to look for business opportunities."