Photo

Guess The Podium: Malaysia results!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Schummy

Schummy

• 1,027 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:53

Alonso's win has been the key point for most of positive scores this round. The reason is the other two drivers in podium were rather no popular in our guesses: only three people put Trulli in their guesses and just one dared to put Heidfeld. Certainly, Fisi-Webber crash was a hair tearing moment for many players! :eek: ): :p

BERNIE has won this round! Appart from this gadget , Makarias (alon/fisi/trul) and Punisher6 (alon/mont/heid) led the human front :clap: . On the other side, six players got -2 points, many of them "historic", classic players here :(

BERNIE		  3

Makarias		2

Punisher6	   2

weasle		  1

Zawed		   1

sek			 1

fifi			1

an1res		  1

dnbn			1

Apex			1

estoril85	   1

D82			 1

armonico		1

skylark68	   1

Steve		   1

130R			1

scheivlak	   1

magicalonso	 1

DeathMasteR	 1

Estwald		 1

fisichella_2001 1

panzani		 1

Moanaman		1

Ghostrider	  1

Schummy		 1

AcuraF1		 1

KWSN			0

gerry nassar	0

Schuting Star   0

Deeq			0

SkorbiF1		0

d_view7		 0

MAX			-1

Marcel		 -1

LB			 -1

Ric Bol		-1

Viss1		  -1

QdfV		   -1

Jimmino		-2

shays		  -2

Alapan		 -2

kismet		 -2

dworsham	   -2

maxpapis	   -2

The general classification is headed by fisichella_2001 , undoubtly enjoying this season with Giancarlo in a top car  ;) , Makarias (this man is amazing : always is right with his guesses!) and BERNIE, the hideous bot :evil: :)

It's still early in the season and lots of people are near the top positions. Perhaps more "interesting" is the back end of the list. Many people in troubles with fairly big negative scores. It surprising to see Ric and shays with -3 and -4 points; I'm sure they will be soon far higher in a few GPs.

A special mention is for panzani ;) who, for once, is using a moderate approach: 0 points! I miss the "extreme" guessing from him last year!;) :cat:

An optimistic point is MAX is rather subdued by now, with -1 points. This bot was last year the main threat for the leading players. :cool:

A  M TOT 

=========================

fisichella_2001 +2 +1 +3

Makarias		+1 +2 +3

BERNIE		  +0 +3 +3

Jack			+2	+2

maxie		   +2	+2

130R			+1 +1 +2

AcuraF1		 +1 +1 +2

Apex			+1 +1 +2

armonico		+1 +1 +2

dnbn			+1 +1 +2

Estwald		 +1 +1 +2

Ghostrider	  +1 +1 +2

scheivlak	   +1 +1 +2

sek			 +1 +1 +2

Steve		   +1 +1 +2

weasle		  +1 +1 +2

Punisher6	   +0 +2 +2

Deeq			+1 +0 +1

kNt			 +1	+1

Option13		+1	+1

REIGN_		  +1	+1

Schuting Star   +1 +0 +1

an1res		  +0 +1 +1

DeathMasteR		+1 +1

fifi			   +1 +1

magicalonso		+1 +1

Schummy			+1 +1

skylark68		  +1 +1

QdfV			+1 -1 +0

Cyruz		   +0	+0

gerry nassar	+0 +0 +0

repcobrabham	+0	+0

SkorbiF1		+0 +0 +0

WillieF1		+0	+0

Moanaman		-1 +1 +0

panzani		 -1 +1 +0

Zawed		   -1 +1 +0

maxpapis		+1 -2 -1

MAX			 +0 -1 -1

Viss1		   +0 -1 -1

AF			  -1	-1

d_view7		 -1 +0 -1

K			   -1	-1

KWSN			-1 +0 -1

Philgr		  -1	-1

Pioneer		 -1	-1

Ventura		 -1	-1

Woking		  -1	-1

D82			 -2 +1 -1

estoril85	   -2 +1 -1

Alapan		  +0 -2 -2

Jimmino		 +0 -2 -2

kismet		  +0 -2 -2

LB			  -1 -1 -2

Marcel		  -1 -1 -2

Finntastic	  -2	-2

Fiorentina	  -2	-2

indycarjunkie   -2	-2

Vilenova		-2	-2

dworsham		   -2 -2

Ric			 -2 -1 -3

shays		   -2 -2 -4

=========================

Next time we will have the GP in Bahrain. The sandy circuit was fairly successfu l last year IMO. I'm looking for the next guess, it will be an opportunity to recover lost positions for some people and to increase pressure in the positive end for others.

Lot's of thanks for playing here and goodbye!! :wave: :clap:

Advertisement

#2 Jimmino

Jimmino

• 1,592 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 14:59

VERY NICE MINUS 2 POINTS. THANKS :cry:

#3 LB

LB

• 13,561 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 15:11

Dammit I forgot to delete my post and increase my score :rolleyes:

#4 Pioneer

Pioneer

• 1,627 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 17:45

Ha I strategically didn't enter this time and increased my ranking!!

I won't be playing this competition again... the scoring system is stupid.

#5 Alapan

Alapan

• 6,243 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:03

:mad:

I think the scoring system is not really working ... go back to 2004 version

#6 shays

shays

• 1,269 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 15:37

Wow....-2 in two races in a row.....my alliance with Ferrari finally 'paid" off....

#7 Ric Bol

Ric Bol

• 1,115 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 18:03

GO RIC GO : : :

#8 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 18:27

Solid but not spectacular from my side so far! :cool:

Thanks Schummy! :) :up:

#9 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 19:27

Looks like it's clear that minus signs in game scores are not welcome. Not to mention pointless in this game. Why subtract this random number? The only effect is that not playing is more advantageous than playing badly. You are discouraging people from playing. That certainly can't be the case, can it?

#10 Schuting Star

Schuting Star

• 5,139 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 19:33

Originally posted by Alapan
:mad:

I think the scoring system is not really working ... go back to 2004 version

Funny you think it's different really. Last year it was effectively the same, that those that did badly on the game could be beaten by someone that forgot to take part. If I remember rightly I was the lone voice arguing that benefiting someone that couldn't be bothered to remember to post wasn't fair. Just seems that the minus score has emphasised the point to a few people.

It isn't right Schummy, sorry but it isn't, you shouldn't be penalising your loyal players because some forget to play. That really is their hardship. You might well find that more decide not to play.

#11 Schummy

Schummy

• 1,027 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:13

Schuting has exactly the point about this: the new score system is equivalent to last year's and approximately to 2003's. Only in 2002 skipped round were not rewarded. Moreover before the first GP the new rules were posted and emphasized.

It's the same to reward with 2 points those who don't put guess, that substract 2 to everyone. What is the difference between having -2 points and the leader having +3 point and having 6 points and the leader 11 points? :confused: The gap between leader and back players would be exactly the same with the old system!

I think only Schuting claimed seriously against this system in the last two years, then why now there are so many bad emotions about it? Maybe it is the "magic" of negative numbers... for some reason nobody wants to have a negative number associated at his/her name!

If I had used the old system the ranking would be the same in the end! fisi would lead with 11 points and shays would be the last with 4 points. Even Pioneer would have improved his/her ranking skipping this round! :D

Listen, in the last two years nobody with several missed rounds got a good classification, why this year is going to be different? It 's absurd to skip a round to gain an advantage, because skipping rounds bring you farther of the leaders. Only *after* a bad guess you can say it had been better not to participate... but it is like in real life!

The system will fail, however, if this season becomes too chaotic and unpredictable. If it happens, it will be too hard to get positives and maybe the leaders will have negative scores! But I think it is very unlikely and, frankly speaking, if this season podiums get unpredictable I will be very glad because it will mean an amazingly great season for F1! :love:

Folks, don't forget *this is just a game*, it is not shameful to have more or less points!

About the fairness of rewarding people who don't guess, with the miss-scores of past years or with the negative scores of this year, well, IMO it is right. For example, imagine a driver A who races just three GPs in the season, getting 2nd, 1st and 3rd places. Now imagine another driver who races all the 19 GPs, getting 7ths and 8ths positions. If you were Ron Dennis and you had to choose between them, who would you choose? In my case I would choose A with closed eyes.

I would prefer "brillance" over amount of participation (remember, this just a game!). I find natural and funnier to reward good guesses and penalize bad guesses. When you play in Las Vegas you can win and you can lose! If you lose you can claim it had been better not play :) I have never heard that win/lose system was "stupid" ;)

I don't want to reward "loyalty" with points, because the reward all of us get in this game is just the fun, entertaint moment we pass here. So, last year panzani was probably the funniest and most colorful player and, however, he had a "disastrous" final score ;) :up:

About if more or less people play this game, it was never my goal to setup a "mega-game" with tons of players! I just want a fun game with at least some players. If we have some fun here, I don't care about the number of people! (well, if there are *some* players at least!)

If almost everyone preferred the miss-scores, non-negative system of the last years, I'd revert to it, but I'd be pretty reluctant to do it because I don't see the need for it and I prefer the new system (and it is a bit simpler to calculate).

And now, let's see how it goes...

#12 LB

LB

• 13,561 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:07

Originally posted by Schummy
I think only Schuting claimed seriously against this system in the last two years, then why now there are so many bad emotions about it? Maybe it is the "magic" of negative numbers... for some reason nobody wants to have a negative number associated at his/her name!

Not just Schuting, Both Makarias and I expressed concern about the scoring both last year and the year before, but then the podium was far easier to predict and rewarding those that didn't play didn't really come into it. So no-one was really that bothered. This year with the unpredictability of the races almost half the field is below 0 if this keeps up someone could enter in the next race pull a lucky 4 and lead the thing. Sorry, but thats ridiculous.

Its not the negative scores thing that really bothers people - its the fact that people who don't play gain an advantage over those that do.

#13 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:02

Heh, after scoring a big fat 0 on round 1, my strategy was to skip the following 18 rounds and cruise to a midpack finish. Then I of course wimped out and entered an ill-advised guess anyway. Now I may have to give it another go just to see if I can get rid of that pesky minus sign. How very annoying... :

If I had any brains, I would've only entered a guess on the final round of the season. A clear strategic miscalculation on my part. :rotfl:

#14 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:43

I never looked at the scoring system last year, to be honest. I just participated in all games on auto-pilot. Why I looked at it now? Because the negative numbers show. What's the point of subtracting a random number from the score? You ask yourself the same question. What's the difference? The difference is that without subtracting you don't give the non players a tactical advantage. Especially as you leave entry open until just before the race, players can strategically not enter in case the grid is mixed up after a rainy session or something.

#15 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 20:24

This is a demading game, if you want to be average, stay out. if you want to take a chance, join in. :smoking:

I don't understand the big fuss to be honest, as Schummy says, it is all in good fun. :)

#16 Schummy

Schummy

• 1,027 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:01

Amen :up:

#17 LB

LB

• 13,561 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 17:51

:rolleyes: unbelievable stubborness (and coming from me thats an accolade..)

#18 armonico

armonico

• 3,237 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 20:36

Originally posted by LB

Its not the negative scores thing that really bothers people - its the fact that people who don't play gain an advantage over those that do.

Exactly the same point as Schuting Star indicated before

Originally posted by LB

It isn't right Schummy, sorry but it isn't, you shouldn't be penalising your loyal players because some forget to play. That really is their hardship. You might well find that more decide not to play.

I didn't read the rules in detail before. The game is fun but is PLAIN UNFAIR.

Schummy, you are penalising loyalty big time. Your are substracting 2 point to everyone who is playing in each round. This is unfair for people who's playing all rounds.

Someone who's playing 19 rounds will have -38 points less than he should have. The less you play, the less penalised you are and the more chances to be up the score table.

Take a look: for example, Jack and maxie are so high in the score board because they didn't play round two and not because they guessed right, this is the main complaint here. Both have 2 point more than people who has play twice.

Schummy, the only solution to fix the matter is to award -2 points to everybody who missed a round, so teh more you missed the less chances you have to be up the top score. That way, you equal the non-entries with people who missed completely the podium.

Example, if somene enters in round five, he should have -8 points plus his result in round five. I think this will be a much fair play to anyone. If not, it better to have 19 winners, one for race, as the total score board doesn't reflect the game.

#19 kNt

kNt

• 1,695 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 15:05

I forgot to make en entry due to early morning sleepyness and I hated it... so why is it unfair I got rewarded a little bit?;)