Photo

Michael Cooper - racing photographer

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:24

I understand that Michael Cooper - perhaps the most artistic of all racing photographers of the 1960s - died suddenly last Friday. We can barely believe it. Just two days previously at the Goodwood preview he had seemed his usual bouncy, subversive self - a really good bloke, and a truly great 'snapper'.

DCN

Advertisement

#2 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:26

What awful news. He was indeed a "truly great snapper". Do we know how old he was?

#3 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:14

What a sad loss. Some of his work can be seen here.

Neil

#4 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:37

Very sad. Sincere condolences to his loved ones and friends. I've admired his work for many years.

#5 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:44

I've always loved his shot of Jimmy Clark preparing to open the door of his DB4 GT Zagato.
Rest in peace Michael.

#6 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:20

How tragic. My condolences to his family and friends.

The volumes of his photos will provide a fitting memorial.

#7 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 14:28

Sadly, I had just sent him an e-mail about a photo of Michael, Chris Amon and a young lady, that now will remain a mystery!

Good photogs are a rare breed, Michael will be missed!!

#8 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 15:28

I had been away in Switzerland and spoke to Mike upon my return on Friday morning (18 March) to arrange a meeting to view some of his colour slides for a future project.

I certainly agree with Doug's view that Mike was one of the most artistic snappers of his era. He was in my opinion based upon experience with many motor sport archives quite unmatched in his ability to capture the moment and the human aspect of the subject(s). His photos were widely used in many British and continental publications during the 1960s and his sympathetic eye owed much to his involvement with shooting a variety of other subjects including LP covers and commercial products.

Earlier still during his National Service he worked for a photographic unit with the Ministry of Defence using the famed miniature Minox cameras. After increasing disenchantment with what had become F1 and the wedge driven between the drivers and everybody else by commercial pressures (he recalled the moment of final disillusionment watching a BRM emerging from a giant Marlboro cigarette packet at Paul Ricard in 1972) he continued thereafter to freelance for Yardley, Gulf, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Michelin, Page & Moy et al and later Honda.

Sadly I was quite unaware of this tragedy until last Thursday (24 March). God speed Mike.

#9 Pine

Pine

• 535 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 17:14

:(
RIP.

#10 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,923 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 17:29

:cry: This is a bit of a shock. RIP Michael.

#11 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 17:54

This is very sad news. Indeed he was a photographer with a great deal of class and I, too, love the photo of Jim Clark about to open the door of the Ogier Aston at the start of the TT. I first saw it when I bought the Pan paperback edition of 'Jim Clark at the wheel' while still a schoolboy, and always yearned for a print of it.

In the early 90s I eventually found Michael's address and 'phoned him up to ask if he supplied copies of his earlier racing pictures. It was about the time when historic photographs were beginning to be marketed on a large scale at the burgeoning historic festivals, and Jarrotts and others were producing wonderful, but expensive prints from Klemantaski, Alan Smith et al. Michael very kindly produced a 10x8 for me, and also another portrait shot of Clark which, he said, was his favourite, at a soothing price. Photos which I still prize.

During the course of a couple of 'phone conversations I asked him if he was considering producing a book of his motor sport work and his response was "Do you think there would be much demand?" I told him that, in my humble view, there certainly would be and, although we had to wait some time before the Palawan book of Sixties Motor Racing, written with Paul Parker, appeared, the result was worth it.

From my limited experience he seemed an excellent fellow- only sorry thet I never met him face-to-face.

#12 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:19

Having just spent a most enjoyable hour chatting to Vern Schuppan in Adelaide, it transpires that Michael Cooper was godfather to his daughter, best selling authoress Page Toon.
Vern would very much like to find a photo Michael took of him at Brands in the Lola, (I think at Dingle Dell) losing the car big time! (Vern called it the "Wall of Death" shot!)
I told him I would ask the forum members for their help in locating this pic. Any clues, anyone? :cat:

#13 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:34

...best selling authoress Page Toon

Not nearly as successful as Paige Toon :)

#14 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:39

Not nearly as successful as Paige Toon :)

I was obviously on the wrong paige, David................ :blush:

#15 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 14:47

Having just spent a most enjoyable hour chatting to Vern Schuppan in Adelaide, it transpires that Michael Cooper was godfather to his daughter, best selling authoress Page Toon.
Vern would very much like to find a photo Michael took of him at Brands in the Lola, (I think at Dingle Dell) losing the car big time! (Vern called it the "Wall of Death" shot!)
I told him I would ask the forum members for their help in locating this pic. Any clues, anyone? :cat:

I will try to find this image when I next visit Liz Cooper, probaby around May/June time. Meanwhile it would help if you or Vern have any idea whether or not the pic was published anywhere, what car/year and I'm presuming this was a b/w shot.

In any case I have contacted Liz today so we can try and find it for you in due course.

#16 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 16:38

Oh dear haven't we lost a lot of good people in the last 12 months.

#17 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 17:38

Oh dear haven't we lost a lot of good people in the last 12 months.

It would appear that Michael passed away in 2005, Richard.

Thankyou for that Paul; I'll ask Vern & get back to you. :wave:

#18 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 17:44

It would appear that Michael passed away in 2005, Richard.

Thankyou for that Paul; I'll ask Vern & get back to you. :wave:

My pleasure.