Advertisement

#5852 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,261 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:05

Posted Image
Kingsleyseb...

Posted Image
...and Adrian Newey's double DRS-equipped Lotus 16.

#5853 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:23

Ah, the Piper Lotus. A good car within the group and I can imagine hard to beat in the hands of Sebastian Nickson.

#5854 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,811 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:28

A small but elite band assembled at the Kilton Inn for the December gathering of the North West TNF group. Attendees were:

Alan & Pat Cox
Giraffe (aka Tony)
Mr & Mrs Aurora F1 (aka Phil & Julie)
Alan Raine
Simon Arron
Condor (aka Caroline)
Paul Hurdsfield
Elan Sprint (aka Pete)
Kingsley Rob
David & Pat Beard
Artidesco (aka Ralf)
Stephen W

As well as the Christmas banquet there was of course the Kilton GP to contest but more of that later. The linear layout of the tables meant that I might not have caught all the topics discussed but I’ll take a punt.

Cameras
Slot Cars
Malta & its residents
Oulton Park
F5000
Painting (as in artwork not walls)
Aurora
Formula One (which included an insight into who drives what in 2013)
Monza
Gerry Marshall
Dennis leech
BTCC
Medieval History
The BBC programme on Roman Archaeology (presented by Dan Snow)
2013 and what’s on the calendar

Now for a report on the 2012 Kilton Park GP

Thanks to the provision of the circuit by Simon Arron and a selection of delightful cars flown in from Malta and built by our good friend Barry Boor we were competing in 1959 Formula Two cars. The layout was as near as we could get to those used in the past but with less Armco (well it was 1959 out there).
The first 5 lap heat saw Alan Cox pitted like a prune against Aurora Phil. Alan was driving #16 a Cooper-Borgward whilst Phil was in ~30 a Lotus 12. Over the five laps despite Alan’s pace he did push a tad too hard and on the ancient tyres his frequent slides cost him dearly as Phil slowly built up the winning lead.
Heat two saw Caroline versus Pat B. Caroline was driving #1 a Porsche whilst Pat was in #22 a Cooper. Again it was consistency that prevailed as Caroline’s harem-scarem approach may have been quick but the Porsche was spinning too often and Pat’s quiet skills saw her take the win.
As the contestants gathered for Heat 3 we had a major technical problem. One of the two hand controllers started to play up and we ended up reduced to having just the one working slot. We therefore switched to a sprint format still over 5 laps. This was thought to benefit Stephen W due to his experience with this format of motor sport but as I pointed out I was still useless with slot cars! Assisting the Clerk of the Course and becoming our Starter and timekeeper was Artidesco. As luck would have it Stephen was in the next heat up against David Beard. Stephen went first in #24 a Cooper and set a steady target time for the 5 laps of 38.6 seconds. David, who was running #21 another Cooper, was a tad more enthusiastic in his approach and had several spins which meant as the cooper crossed the line he stopped the clocks at 51.2.
Heat 4 saw Tony Giraffe take on Alan Raine. Tony was in #35 a Lotus 16 whilst Alan was in #38 an earlier Lotus 12. Tony took the safe and steady approach as he played himself in and posted a 39.3 whilst Alan was a typical Formula Fordster and had a few “moments” but was desperately close with a 40.9.
Heat 5 brought circuit owner and Motor Sport guru Simon Arron to the table to take on Paul Hurdsfield. Simon was in #18 a Cooper Climax whilst Paul was also in a Cooper #8. Simon set an excellent 37.0 as he maintained a superb rhythm which Paul couldn’t match although his Cooper was recalcitrant exiting corners and he posted a 40.2.
The Final heat saw a rematch of our last final with Kingsley Rob taking on Aurora Julie. Rob was piloting #6 a Lotus 16 whilst Julie was in charge of the Behra Porsche (the best looking car and resplendent in blue). Julie had a few traumas on route to the finish posting a 45.8 however rob was in fabulous form as he swept to victory with a jaw dropping 31.2!
The remaining two runners (Pat Cox and Artidesco) both got byes into Round 2.
First up in round two were Aurora Phil and Pat Beard. Despite setting a super 38.9 Pat was beaten as Phil swept through the finish in 36.9. Next to the track were Stephen W and Tony G. Tony went first and posted a 38.2 so Stephen had to go a bit faster. It all went Pete Tong on lap 3 when the Cooper spun in the Esses and eventually came home in 41.0. Next to the line were Simon A and Kingsley Rob. Simon went first and posted a handy 35.3 but Rob was not to be denied and in a faultless run to the flag posted a 30.2 which would end up being the fastest time of the day. Our two competitors who sat out round one were next. Pat Cox was running #10 another Cooper and Ralf was in #20 a lotus 12. Pat went first and posted a tentative 45.0 however Ralf stormed through to stop the clocks at 42.7 and progress to the semi finals.
The first semi featured Aurora Phil against Tony G. Despite posting a 35.6 Phil would end up in second as Tony ran smooth and swift posting a 34.6 (his best time of the day). The second semi was between Kingsley Rob and Artidesco. Ralf went first and was slower than in his quarter final with a 43.8. Rob was slower than in his quarter final but 30.3 was pretty impressive.
So to the finale of the evening’s racing; setting the standard was Kingsley Rob whose first run was a Christmas cracker as he posted a mind-numbing 29.4 – the fastest time of the day so far! Could Tony respond? Knowing that he had to find over four seconds did put the ex-pat Scouser under pressure and up until the third lap he was going well but a spin in the Esses ended his challenge and he finished on 35.5.
Kingsley Rob was again the champion and graciously accepted the ugliest trophy in motor sport along with a limited edition mug provided by Alan Cox and an Oulton Park Winner’s cap provided by Aurora Phil.
A big thank you to Barry Boor for providing a wonderful set of cars brought the evening to a close.

#5855 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:36

Thank you for that, Steve. Just as good as being there. Ralph sent me a photo of the circuit so I think I'll reproduce that circuit layout here after Christmas and see what sort of times I can do.

Which lane did you use for the timed runs?

#5856 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 7,445 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:38

Sideways action from the King of the Kilton, KingsleyRob. Well done Rob.
Note the point of focus on the nosecone and use of shallow depth of field :drunk:
Thanks all for a great night, and especially the long distance visitors :up:
Posted Image

Edited by Paul Hurdsfield, 14 December 2012 - 09:41.

#5857 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:40

I hope someone collected the windscreen.

#5858 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,811 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:44

Thank you for that, Steve. Just as good as being there. Ralph sent me a photo of the circuit so I think I'll reproduce that circuit layout here after Christmas and see what sort of times I can do.

Which lane did you use for the timed runs?

Inside or right hand lane.

BTW we did have a few issues with the cars:

1) #15 Cooper - the bodywork was loose when we opened the box so we used another car rather than risk damage.
2)#20 Lotus - although it didn't seem to affect the pace of the car the transmission made some awful graunching noises (we put that down to the Queer box)
3) #6 Lotus - the aero windscreen detached between heats (it should be in the box however it may not be the box the car is in!)

Thanks once again for the loan of these wonderful cars and as a passing note the barman was very impressed!

:wave:

#5859 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,897 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:01

3) #6 Lotus - the aero windscreen detached between heats (it should be in the box however it may not be the box the car is in!)

A 16 never had an aero windscreen. :smoking:
I believe that was Mike Hawthorn's preference at some stage on the Ferrari Dino, but he never drove a 16...

There was some talk about removing the screen giving Rob an unfair advantage . :p

Advertisement

#5860 alansart

alansart

• 4,040 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:22

Ah, the Piper Lotus. A good car within the group and I can imagine hard to beat in the hands of Sebastian Nickson.

The speed of that car was noted as soon as it hit the track, although as we each picked a box not knowing what was inside it must have been pure luck on Rob's part..................

#5861 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:50

So the fact that the driver and car names are on the boxes didn't affect choice?

#5862 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,811 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:56

So the fact that the driver and car names are on the boxes didn't affect choice?

The boxes were arranged so that the person selecting a car could not see the label where a label was affixed.

Also in the two heats that were run as races the lane selection was done on the toss of a coin and in the 'sprint knockouts' who went first was also done on the toss of a coin.

We did have a re-run once when the fill in timekeeper didn't start the stopwatch (or was that didn't stop the start watch?) - NB that particular timekeeper has been sent on a refresher course!

#5863 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,494 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:43

. Simon went first and posted a handy 35.3 but Rob was not to be denied and in a faultless run to the flag posted a 30.2 which would end up being the fastest time of the day.

Thank you for your eloquesnt and detailed report Sarge, marred only by the inaccuracy above. I was pleased to record a sub 30 second run in the final.

I think I might have passed on these pearls of wisdom after my last victory, and noted last night (if I did pass on said tips) that nobody took note. Here goes: Go full throttle on the straights - even the short ones. Slow down for the corners. Keep the car in the slot. And last but not least - use yer thumb. Is it coincidence that both victors over the last three runs of the KP GP have been thumb boys?

I partied on into the early hours amid post victory euphopria. A tad sad on my own, I admit, supping cheap cava out of my splendid Andy Warhol Merecedes mug. That was very generous Alan, merci beaucoup.

The concensus seemed to be that the Kilton had raised its game food-wise, at least above the mediocre rating last given. Artie positively eulogised about his steak. The room is just right for the occasion. The cars were brillant as usual, thanks to garagiste Barrry the Maltese Fettler. You were there in spirit Barry and we toasted you post race.

I scoured the floor for the missing windscreen in case Sarge had missed the box, it might have looked as I was on my kness that I was paying homage to the Kilton tarmac. Not so.

You'll find minimal damage Barry, the Marsh car did well to survive a Sarti-esque trip off the track onto the floor. One of the cars had very short brushes so that was replaced in the race by a previously raced one.

I bonded immediately with my Piper Lotus, it was great with and without windcreen, the loss of weight balanced by inferior aerodynamics in my final run. Incidentally - was there a veiled inference above to a spot of jiggery pokery in my choice? I did suggest that we all used the same car to eliminate differences, but was shouted down, notably by the DAB GP representative who was not for a one make series.

Thanks to all who contributed and travelled, particularly the track and throttle supplier Simon. Lots of bonhomie and a good way to round off our year.

Happy Christmas and a healthy 2013 to everyone!

Rob :wave:

#5864 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:08

Posted Image

Simon Arron battles the technical issues whilst Artidesco gets into focus. Kingsleyrob exuding that air of confidence of a current titleholder. Rob's stunning 29.4 (the only sub - 30sec run of the night) was like a stab in the back, and I knew that the title was beyond my grasp before I left the startline. Still, I was surprised and delighted to make the final in the superbly presented & prepared Bruce Halford Lotus 16, and enjoyed the company of a rather elite band of TNFers. Disappointed that this could not have been augmented by the company of Mallory (March 761) Dan, Phil (Norvirus) Rainford and not least Roger (Dreyfus) Clark, but you can't have everything you wish for in life, can you?!?! :wave:

#5865 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,897 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:26

Rob's stunning 29.4 (the only sub - 30sec run of the night) was like a stab in the back, and I knew that the title was beyond my grasp before I left the startline.

Here it is:

Thumb technique clearly evident.

#5866 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,897 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:32

And the valiant runner up

#5867 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,897 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:37

And the valiant runner up

Concentration...

Posted Image

#5868 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:42

I suppose I should own up to the fact that the two cars involved in the final have run as 2.5 litre F.1 cars during 1959......

Very impressive driving by both finalists. I'd love to have had the chance to compete.

Edited by Barry Boor, 14 December 2012 - 12:43.

#5869 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,897 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:44

I suppose I should own up to the fact that the two cars involved in the final have run as 2.5 litre F.1 cars during 1959......

As the absent Mr Clark would have said...are you sure?

#5870 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:46

Well, they both ran in F.1 races.

If they were F.2 cars then my conscience is clear re-Kilton.

Edited by Barry Boor, 14 December 2012 - 12:49.

#5871 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,811 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:58

We understand that Mr Arron Junior will be making his explanations of the whereabaouts of said Armco during his appearance before the FIA technical stewards next week.

I understand from an insider that there are more issues for AJ to answer for than just missing Armco! The hotline to Geneva has been in melt-down!

Surely there must be more photos to post?

Mine can be found tagged onto this album:

https://www.facebook...mp;l=7e564ccc43

#5872 Auroraf1

Auroraf1

• 347 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:58

I too want to pass on my thanks to all the circuit owners, cars fettlers and officials.

I can testify to Rob's attempts at fair play which were greeted by the quote of the night from our resident journalist "Rob, it's slot racing not the Suez crisis!"

I think my performance was dulled a little by my fear of going off the road and ploughing into the wall of photgraphers who lined the circuit. I think next years event need to look into the criteria for media accreditation.

Happy Christmas to All!

#5873 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 13:25

Surely there must be more photos to post?

A few more from me.. :wave:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5874 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,734 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 14:08

Thanks to everyone far and wide who contributed to another fabulous evening north of Watford Gap, as has been noted my steak was top drawer burnt on the outside and blue in the middle :-)

Some pics from the evening

Posted Image

The track built using Simon's track by Cox & Colmar vaguely resembled Barry's suggested plan, note to Barry we were on Ninco track and using the inside lane clockwise for the timed runs.

Posted Image

Gave my little Chevron B19 it's first spin since I purchased it from e-bay, first time it had run at all in donkey's years.

Posted Image

Condor's hustles her Porsche in a hurry to catch up with her chocolate Ice Cream with extra double cream pudding.

Posted Image

Quarter finalists await in the paddock.

Posted Image

Tony is the first to congratulate Rob on his superb, sub 30 second, Kilton GP winning run.

http://postimage.org...92jab/599ed050/

Thanks to Tony Condor and I found Denny Hulmes McLaren M7 D, in the middle of Knutsford :up:

Topics at the away end of the table included

Denny Hulme and his sons unfortunate early demise

Lotus 33 #R7/#R8

There was some banter about DJ's, David Jacobs and Juke Box Jury, thinking about this on the way home how did David make the leap from Juke Box Jury to Any Questions ?

Kingsleyrob gave use an insight into useful chat up lines for his older clientele

As mentioned March 761's in Aurora were discussed in particular the example driven by Guy Edwards and Bruce Allison

Weird cracker joke "What is brown and sneaks about in the kitchen ?"

Edited by arttidesco, 14 December 2012 - 14:08.

#5875 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 7,445 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 14:18

There seems like a lot of serious faces in the pics so far (except Rob) so lets have some smiley faces :)
Posted Image

Just look at the tyre on that car!!!
Posted Image

#5876 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 14:31

Ralf, your Chevron is actually a B19/21 (check chassis plate) & the McLaren in Knutsford is Denny"s unique M14D that many of us saw running at the 1970 Gp at Brands.

#5877 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,734 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 14:39

Ralf, your Chevron is actually a B19/21 (check chassis plate) & the McLaren in Knutsford is Denny"s unique M14D that many of us saw running at the 1970 Gp at Brands.

Thanks for the corrections Tony, I'm obviously still suffering the side effects of four, non alcoholic, ginger beers and a very long detour through darkest deepest Wales :drunk:

#5878 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 15:07

Vettel watch out...

Posted Image

Sorry I could not make it last night...........although you of course missed my quick wit and repartee you would not have missed the misfire I was suffering from :eek:

Feel a lot better today and met up Mr Arron for a coffee: who informed me of all the gossip from the Kilton Paddock :)

New quiz question : Name the youngest ever double winner of the Kilton GP?

I take it if he wins next year the trophy can be retained for good ( Just like the great Brazilian football team and the World Cup.........sorry David :blush: )

PAR

#5879 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,811 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 15:19

Sorry I could not make it last night...........although you of course missed my quick wit and repartee you would not have missed the misfire I was suffering from :eek:

Feel a lot better today and met up Mr Arron for a coffee: who informed me of all the gossip from the Kilton Paddock :)

New quiz question : Name the youngest ever double winner of the Kilton GP?

I take it if he wins next year the trophy can be retained for good ( Just like the great Brazilian football team and the World Cup.........sorry David :blush: )

PAR

Glad you are 'on the mend' - as for the potential triple winner I would have thought we could easily whistle up a new trophy in the unlikely event of a certain gentlemen completing his hat trick. Sorry that should read three wins in a row as Rob doesn't do hats!

Advertisement

#5880 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 15:24

I'm hoping he might have some other competition next year.

#5881 condor

condor

• 11,296 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:17

I'm now back home safely after my adventure 'up north'. Thanks to Rob for recommending the Parkmere Guest House, had a lovely stay there :up: Many thanks to Arttidesco for chaufferring me to and from the Kilton Inn :up: :up: I was amazed that Knutsford had a McLaren showroom which was lit up at night with no shutters on the windows :eek: There were quite a few bollards on the kerbstones to stop ram raiders though  ;)

I thought it was a great fun night out - so thanks to everyone for making it such a special night :kiss:

Here's a few of my pics

Choosing and getting the collection of tables level to hold the track took some effort

Posted Image

The group dinner photo shot

Posted Image

Time for a practice

Posted Image

Rob demonstrating his thumb method

Posted Image

#5882 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,734 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:27

Rob demonstrating his thumb method

Posted Image

Barry told me about the advantages of this method on skype just now, I'll be making the change henceforth :-)

#5883 alansart

alansart

• 4,040 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:30

Posted Image

Gave my little Chevron B19 it's first spin since I purchased it from e-bay, first time it had run at all in donkey's years.

Chevron were only a few miles away. We should have given the Malkie's a ring to get a quote for a refurb :)

#5884 Auroraf1

Auroraf1

• 347 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:40

Just look at the tyre on that car!!!
Posted Image
[/quote]

I knew there was something wrong with my car, I blame Professor Kingsley Fate!

#5885 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,734 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:54

Chevron were only a few miles away. We should have given the Malkie's a ring to get a quote for a refurb :)

New factory fitted brushes and a new roll over bar sounds like just the thing for my B19/21  ;)

#5886 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 17:15

Looking at that picture of the #30 Lotus 12, I think this track surface is MUCH more grippy than my vintage Scalextric surface.

Should have made cornering easier.

The front tyres do nothing - stop complaining, Phil. :lol:

#5887 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,494 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 17:17

This has every bit the look of a man contemplating a comeback...........................

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Sounds like you might be along next year Barry...

Rob :wave:

Edited by Kingsleyrob, 15 December 2012 - 17:59.

#5888 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 17:20

It's a long way off but, yes, Rob, that's the intention.

#5889 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,734 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 17:22

It's a long way off but, yes, Rob, that's the intention.

:up:

#5890 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,738 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 17:28

I take it if he wins next year the trophy can be retained for good

For some unfathomable reason he does seem desperately keen to keep his hands on the Pirelli Marathon "Coupe des Dames" trophy
A few more happy snaps...
Posted Image
In the absence of any Westfields, Paul Hurdsfield reluctantly accepted a Cooper
Posted Image
Once you've got it, you never lose it. Alan Raine keeps tabs on the streaking blur that his his Lotus 12
Posted Image
Condor's superb Porsche - sadly not to feature in the second round
Posted Image
KingsleyRob appears to be impeding the progress of the lead car..

#5891 alansart

alansart

• 4,040 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 17:46

Posted Image
Once you've got it, you never lose it. Alan Raine keeps tabs on the streaking blur that his his Lotus 12

Unfortunately I lost it about 3 or 4 times to often!!!!

Note to self - Hold the stomach in next year :well:

#5892 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,738 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 18:28

I was amazed that Knutsford had a McLaren showroom which was lit up at night with no shutters on the windows :eek:

Some parts of the North really are quite civilised :)

#5893 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,734 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 18:36

:up:

#5894 condor

condor

• 11,296 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 19:50

Whilst en route to find the McLaren showroom we passed a Rolls Royce logo indicating a showroom on the right hand side...didn't have the time to explore that further - but was explained it was due to the amount of footballers that live around these parts.

#5895 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,897 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:39

Whilst en route to find the McLaren showroom we passed a Rolls Royce logo indicating a showroom on the right hand side...didn't have the time to explore that further - but was explained it was due to the amount of footballers that live around these parts.

Hey, we know the North West has its shortcomings. Don't rub it in :rolleyes:

#5896 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 7,445 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 21:03

You obviously havent been up Oldham recently Alan :lol:

#5897 MCS

MCS

• 3,571 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 21:10

Rolls Royce started in Manchester and production (after the second World War) was predominantly in Crewe...

#5898 condor

condor

• 11,296 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 21:49

Well you're a blast from the past :wave:
Another topic mentioned was the demise of the 'Southern' TNF pub meets at Baldock, which have now been replaced by Richard's very successful film shows.

#5899 MCS

MCS

• 3,571 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 22:04

Hey Caroline - "blast from the past" makes me feel even worse!

The weirdest thing is I drove past the Kilton about a month ago but have been out of the country since.

Anyhow, back now - albeit briefly - but hopefully back properly in 2013.

Looks like a good night from the pictures. KingsleyLate not so tardy... :wave:

Advertisement

#5900 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 22:35

Rolls Royce started in Manchester and production (after the second World War) was predominantly in Crewe...

Indeed they built aero engines there during the Second World War

When Audi/VW purchased Bentley a few years ago; a number of the senior management from Germany when visiting Crewe, enquired why there were paintings of terraced housing on the roof of the factory

They were informed it was to confuse the navigators of the German Bombers :)

PAR