Photo

Northern England & Wales TNF meetings

• Please log in to reply
6330 replies to this topic

#6301 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 16:11

Just a little teaser for tonight .....name five Formula One drivers named after Scottish towns?

I expect to see the five correct answers in Steve's copious notes !!

Have an enjoyable evening

PAR

Advertisement

#6302 paulsenna1

paulsenna1

• 246 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 16:20

Is Ayr Town Centre one of the five? :rotfl:

#6303 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 17:04

http://brscc.co.uk/D...-ACHIEVER-AWARD

Well done David ...totally deserved !!

PAR

#6304 alansart

alansart

• 4,000 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 19:40

Just a little teaser for tonight .....name five Formula One drivers named after Scottish towns?

I expect to see the five correct answers in Steve's copious notes !!

Have an enjoyable evening

PAR

All I can think of is Lauder and Stirling.......

#6305 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,444 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 20:55

Eddie IRVINE (albeit he pronounces it wrongly to Scottish ears)

Johnny DUMFRIES

Lewis HAMILTON

#6306 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 5,989 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 21:32

We got six.

#6307 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,302 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 21:35

Very enjoyable evening- nice to see (almost) everyone again. I believe that the collective got all five of the names. Hamilton twice, making six. :clap:

Look forward to seeing some of you at Cadwell on Saturday; where it will probably not be as dry as last year. :well:

14331825096_d33686531d_b.jpg

Edited by elansprint72, 05 June 2014 - 21:48.

#6308 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 22:30

We got six.

I would expect nothing less ....

PAR

#6309 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:41

Look forward to seeing some of you at Cadwell on Saturday; where it will probably not be as dry as last year. :well:

I'm planning to be at Cadwell in time for an MSV fry-up, Pete. Forecast not great, as you say, so might have to shoot through the café windows...

#6310 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:05

Roll call: Dan and Jane Rear, Alan & Pat Cox, Roger Clark, David Beard, Paul Hurdsfield, John (Slurp to his friends), Pete Taylor, Steve Wilkinson and the ever late KingsleyRob (his excuse was that he was chatting in the bar!) 

Subject Matter:

www.the swiftgallery.co.uk - a potential meeting point

Angouleme

Monaco F3 - past and present

Sky F1 .v. BT You View

Lotus Elans

Top Gear

Le Mans

Goodwood

CPOP

The Beach Boys

Obscure tracks

Obscure Groups

Monza Ashtray

Cadwell Park VSCC

Harewood VSCC

The lack of pubs in Cheadle

The Media at UK events

Baseball

Question of the night picked up on the one posed on TNF "Name 5 Drivers with containing Scottish place names". KingsleyLate got Eddie Irvine but we also came up with:

Duncan Hamilton, Stirling Moss, Graham Hill, Lewis Hamilton, Damon Hill, Phil Hill, Eddie Irvine, Johnny Dumfries, etc etc etc

Discounted were Rob Moffat (he drove F1 in the UK Grp 8 events) and Ayr Town Centre. 

Missing were any text questions from our Foreign Correspondent.

:wave:

#6311 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,483 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:23

Sarge, I was late because my carpet measuring man was behind schedule.  He'd had a busy day and was wilton. Sorry, wilting.  Then before I could enter the room a charming old boy collared me to talk MGs, he'd spotted my B.  

Lord Clark's offering of Bruce Johnston seems to have been omitted in the Scottish town offerings.  I've never visited the Scottish town of Bruce, but it would be nice to see it, to see it nice.

It was an eventful dietary night at our end of the table, with John slurping his way through Pat's fish and chips before realising he'd ordered something else, and I couldn't resist the pate that was spare.  Fortunately I'd only ordered the small gammon egg and chips so could fit it in. 

Eeyore. thanks for your heads up re the Swift Gallery, I may take up your suggestion of the 19th June visit.

Rob :wave:

#6312 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 287 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:50

Yes, it was a very good night, and I'm following new dietary advice following diagnosis of both Type 1 and 2 Diabetes. This involves eating two main courses, and I was happily tucking into Pat's when I remembered I'd actually ordered something else.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I've got Alzheimers
Fish and Chips

One thread to tie up, connected to the Robinsons' house we were in - the lead singer of Iron Maiden and modern polymath (sort of) is Bruce Dickinson and the beer he's developed with Robinsons is called Trooper - another golden ale to go with last night's offerings of Brazilian Blonde and Dizzy Blonde - things are afoot in Stockport. I plan to go to the Swift Gallery on the 19th too, JohnP

#6313 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,605 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:55

Correction Kingsley, it's Johnstone with an 'e', a town in Renfrewshire.

It was nice to see the unannounced arrival of Slurp1955, even though he slurped his way through my wife's dinner before his own main course turned up. Like a gent, he offered to pay for it but The Smoker refused to accept his cash.

#6314 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,483 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:16

Thank you Headmaster! I was clearly getting mixed up with Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys who were also the subject of some discussion last night.

To save me doing lines I've just learned all about BJ and his BRM in this TNF thread - oh blow it won't cut and paste again.  It's called "The Third BRM", started by our own Maltese - now Essex based Fettler Barry Boor. BJ Also participated in the 1962 SAGP.

#6315 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,302 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:58

"..............

One thread to tie up, connected to the Robinsons' house we were in - the lead singer of Iron Maiden and modern polymath (sort of) is Bruce Dickinson and the beer he's developed with Robinsons is called Trooper - another golden ale to go with last night's offerings of Brazilian Blonde and Dizzy Blonde - things are afoot in Stockport........"

I tried a Brazillian Blonde once but I'm not going to wax lyrical about it. :smoking:

#6316 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,154 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:13

You could add Jim Hall, Jackie Oliver and Jim Crawford to the list.

#6317 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,302 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:30

I'm planning to be at Cadwell in time for an MSV fry-up, Pete. Forecast not great, as you say, so might have to shoot through the café windows...

Excellent news- as you will have no need of them, please could you save me your bacon, sausages, black-pudding, chitterlings, savoury duck, lamb's fries and possum gizzards?

#6318 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,667 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:03

Enjoyable evening, as ever. But I couldn't help thinking how relatively little Motor Racing chat there was compared to some years back. Nostalgia ain't what it was....

#6319 alansart

alansart

• 4,000 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 13:14

Eeyore. thanks for your heads up re the Swift Gallery, I may take up your suggestion of the 19th June visit.

Definitely worth a visit. I was very impressed when I went last year. 

As usual the timing is perfect as I'll be t'other side of La Manche on the 19th June.

Advertisement

#6320 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:18

Enjoyable evening, as ever. But I couldn't help thinking how relatively little Motor Racing chat there was compared to some years back. Nostalgia ain't what it was....

Maybe we should compile an agenda for future meetings? 

I suppose I should have added "The Maltese Falcon" as a discussed topic but thought it might be too obscure for lurkers!

#6321 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,605 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:21

Maybe we should compile an agenda for future meetings? 

Just as long as the 'game' involving 22 men and an inflated sphere is barred as a topic

#6322 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 5,989 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 13:52

As long as we also ban politics (especially involving parties whose name is a four letter acronym), benefits, immigration, photography, front wheel drive cars, dumbing down of the BBC, modern motor sport (by anybody who refers to it as Eff Wun), any other games, Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson in any other context, Manchester City, Internet radio programmes, any subject Dan tries to introduce, scarves, failures of the NHS, politics, politics and politics.

#6323 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 287 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 15:34

As long as we also ban politics (especially involving parties whose name is a four letter acronym), benefits, immigration, photography, front wheel drive cars, dumbing down of the BBC, modern motor sport (by anybody who refers to it as Eff Wun), any other games, Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson in any other context, Manchester City, Internet radio programmes, any subject Dan tries to introduce, scarves, failures of the NHS, politics, politics and politics.

As long as you don't ban Autospurts. I come over all funny when that magazine is mentioned, JohnP

#6324 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,881 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:49

Looks like you've nailed most of us there Roger, in one way or another! :cry:

#6325 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:01

So no pictures of Stirling Moss in the Ferguson P99 then!  :stoned:

#6326 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,881 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:14

He said front wheel drive, not 4wd Steve. I've obviously overdone talking about my Elan. :(

Edited by David Beard, 10 June 2014 - 11:14.

#6327 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:16

He said front wheel drive, not 4wd Steve. I've obviously overdone talking about my Elan. :(

He said no to Photography so I just extrapolated! 

#6328 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,881 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:55

Talking about this beer would be OK I take it?

Hill-Climb_large.jpg

Edited by David Beard, 10 June 2014 - 19:56.

#6329 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,302 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 20:44

He said no to Photography so I just extrapolated! 

Premature extrapolation- add that to the list of subditi eatenus. :rolleyes:

I was really surprised that the subject of striped shorts was not raised, given the photograph of "our Longridge correspondent" in the current edition of a well-known publication.

#6330 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,605 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:18

Spent a very pleasant couple of hours last night at The Swift Gallery in the company of Eeyore and Slurp1955 and a select few others and we were all treated to a personal tour by gallery owner Andrew, accompanied by the odd beverage.

Where were you, Rob? Thank God England were playing kickabout somewhere, and fulfilling every Englishman's expectation, which served to keep the riff-raff away

#6331 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 287 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 22:27

Yes Alan, a very pleasant evening. I decided to eschew the delights of England v. Uruguay and I'm glad I did. Andrew Swift is one of those individuals that has indulged his passion and has the generosity of spirit to share it with other enthusiasts, like our good selves. The Swift Gallery is superb, and anyone with an opportunity to visit it should do so. I couldn't persuade Andrew to lend me the 512TR parked there though ! JohnP