Photo

Northern England & Wales TNF meetings

• Please log in to reply
6277 replies to this topic

#3751 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,543 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:47

Are we expecting more acrobatics from Sergeant Wilko??

Watching him fall from a height of two steps after the Chevron visit was quite enough for me.

Rob :wave:

Rob, I have been practicing my landings thanks to a book on Parachute Jumping I got from the library. Mind you I need at least 1500ft to get lined up!

I of course would have won but I have to be in Bristol this evening.

PAR

Who are Bristol City playing?

:wave:

Advertisement

#3752 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 7,390 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:31

Rob, I have been practicing my landings thanks to a book on Parachute Jumping I got from the library. Mind you I need at least 1500ft to get lined up!

Who are Bristol City playing?

Feet and knees together,
knees slightly bent.
elbows in....and roll :rotfl:

#3753 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 7,390 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 17:36

It's going to be fun getting to the Kilton tonight, I may have to dig out my ice axe and crampons :rolleyes:

#3754 Ian Smith - Diz

Ian Smith - Diz

• 425 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 23:55

It's going to be fun getting to the Kilton tonight, I may have to dig out my ice axe and crampons :rolleyes:

Ah but it was worth it.
Sgt. Wilko promises a full report once he's had a good nights sleep.
And I'd just like to say that I wasn't bothered about going out in round two. I was beaten fairly and squarely by a lady driver [who went on to the Final].

#3755 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 00:15

A splendid evening, all due to the phenomenal efforts of Barry Boor providing and maintaining his fabulous fleet of period racing cars, and Simon Arron providing and assembling the track; an awesome effort by these two heroes! :up: ! A very big thankyou Barry for allowing me to pilot Ferrari no5 through the first round of my first Kilton Park Grand Prix, a truly memorable occasion! :clap:

Edited by Giraffe, 18 December 2009 - 12:44.

#3756 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,145 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 00:30

Come on chaps the suspense is killing me. WHO won the 2nd Kilton GP and what happened in the subsequent match race with Barry ?

#3757 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,543 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:27

Just sorted the photos out and will post some tomorrow along with a FULL Report.

Good Night!

#3758 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 7,390 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:43

Yes what a great night even though I got a duff car (sorry Barry but I had to blame someone) and was first to get knocked out :blush: I've only got time to post a couple of pics, I've got to go a measure for a new bar in a Hotel in Preston now and will be offline all day :rolleyes:

Intense concentration Aurora Phil wearing a picture frame, while Simon shows off the latest in lampshades.
Posted Image

Sideways to victory
Posted Image

Posted Image

Notice to special effects to show movement ;)

Edited by Paul Hurdsfield, 18 December 2009 - 07:45.

#3759 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:23

How Simon managed to emulate the outside weather conditions on the track last night truly was astonishing! :up:

Edited by Giraffe, 18 December 2009 - 12:46.

Advertisement

#3760 Auroraf1

Auroraf1

• 346 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:32

[quote name='Paul Hurdsfield' date='Dec 18 2009, 08:43' post='4044954']
Yes what a great night even though I got a duff car (sorry Barry but I had to blame someone) and was first to get knocked out :blush: I've only got time to post a couple of pics, I've got to go a measure for a new bar in a Hotel in Preston now and will be offline all day :rolleyes:

Intense concentration Aurora Phil wearing a picture frame, while Simon shows off the latest in lampshades.
Posted Image

Despite wearing my lucky picture frame, I was beaten in the first round by Simon in the indecently quick V16 BRM!
There was a question as to why the Ninco sign just before the first corner was on upside down, but I found out as my driver could read it perfectly as the car hurtled past it his helmet scraping along the tarmac effect plastic (sorry Barry)!

I will leave the rest of the race reporting to Steve, so as not to spoil the obvious anticipation that has built up waiting for the results of the event, but would just like to add my thanks to Barry for letting us loose with his spendid models.

#3761 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,543 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:13

The Venue
Posted Image
The Line-up
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Track
Posted Image
The Officials:
The Clerk of the Course
Posted Image
The Lap Counter
Posted Image
The Official Starter (aka Bad Santa)
Posted Image
The Report:

The event proper started with The Draw for The Cars. After each ‘driver’ picked a number out of the box they were paired off ready for the first round ties. Each pair were given 3 or 4 laps practice and then they were brought to the line.
The First Round Ties – 10 Laps
Starting proceeding were Alan Raine & Paul Hurdsfield. After an initial cagey battle Alan pulled away and moved effortlessly into Round 2. Then it was Pat Cox versus Ian Smith and this was a more even contest until a couple of ‘incidents’ dropped Pat back and left DIZ in an unassailable lead. The third match-up was between Tony the Giraffe and Pat Beard which started very evenly but ended with Tony winning by a long neck and joining Alan & Diz in round 2. Roger Clark, who really should have been at home in the 1950s monopostos, and Aurora Julie were next on track. Roger was quick but tended to put his car into the barriers whilst Julie’s steady approach paid dividends and she progressed to round 2. Next up was Pete ‘Lotus’ Taylor versus Kingsley Rob, the latter complaining about having a Talbot rather than one of his beloved Alfas! In the race Rob continued where he left off in 2008 with a masterful display whilst Pete struggled to come to terms with the twisty track. Next on track were Aurora Phil and Simon Arron. Simon’s ‘lucky draw’ saw him in the BRM and for once May’s car was reliable and he motored away from an errant Phil. The penultimate tie saw David Beard matched against Alan Cox and again Alan’s misspent youth shone through as he trounced David in a frankly one-sided match-up. The final “tie” was an extended practice run for Steve Wilkinson as Barry Boor decided not to contest the event. However Barry’s innate ability shone through as he lapped Sgt Wilko after the Maserati (why do I always get Massers?) proved a handful in the slow bends.
The Second Round Ties – 10 Laps
The first of the quarter-finals saw Alan Raine and Tony the Giraffe slug it out. Despite taking an early lead Alan’s Talbot started to suffer with an imbalanced front offside wheel and Giraffe started to close in. On the final corner Alan’s Talbot finally gave up the ghost and spun. It was hit by Giraffe’s similar mount and in the ensueing mellee Alan pushed the Talbot home. As Alan’s car was disabled he was declared the winner (at this point Barry set about repairing the damaged car). The second quarter-final was between Ian DIZ Smith and Aurora Julie. DIZ once again tried to jump the start although this year the tyre-warming was prohibited by a partisan Clerk of Course. Never-the-less Diz was off to a good start but Julie hunted him down and took the lead. Diz then became erratic (due it was thought to the lack of nicotine) and after a couple of spins dropped away leaving Julie to cruise home. The third quarter-final saw Kingsley Rob on track against Alan Cox. This looked like a tense battle but Rob’s cool-hand approach took him into the lead and as Alan dropped back so his driving became erratic (due it was thought to a drop in his blood-sugar levels as he had passed on the sweet!). Rob cruised home whilst Alan was closing the gap in the final two laps. The last of the quarter-finals matched Simon ‘BRM’ Arron against Steve 'Sgt Wilko' Wilkinson. Simon got a superb start and after a torrid first lap where the Masser spun three times Steve settled into a steady pace. The BRM didn’t falter and by lap 4 Steve was lapped. As Simon took the flag the Masser was still on lap 8! (To quote Mr Arron "Sgt Wilko’s performance was “Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, etc").
The Semi-Finals – 12 laps
In the first of the semi-finals it was an all Talbot affair with Alan Raine & Kingsley Rob at the controls. Despite his best efforts Alan soon fell back and again the errors started to creep in as the Formula Fordster displayed typical Armco-busting tactics! Meanwhile Rob cruised to an effortless victory although the pressure was telling.
In the second semi-final Simon ‘BRM’ Arron was matched against Aurora Julie – could the BRM win through to the final or would the Talbot again prove to be the pick of the Boor Litter? From the off Simon shot into the lead but Julie’s calm and patient tactics paid dividends as the BRM suddenly started a series of spins. The Talbot crept into the lead and despite a hiccup on the penultimate lap when Arron closed the gap Julie sped to a convincing win!
The Third Place run-off
The third place ‘final’ featured Simon ‘BRM’ Arron and Alan Raine. Once again the BRM jumped into the lead and despite an initial closing of the gap those old Formula Ford traits came to the fore and Simon moved into a lead he was never to loose.
The Final
So the final was an all Talbot affair (I knew those Massers were rubbish!) with Kingsley Rob, last year’s defeated finalist, versus Aurora Julie.
Posted Image

However after just 4 laps there was a major mechanical mishap when Julie’s Talbot suffered terminal problems with the pick-up braids. It was thought that both drivers should switch to ‘new’ Talbots but again during the warm-up these also displayed the same fault. At this point International Referee Barry Boor ruled that they should use Ferraris which proved very reliable (you couldn’t make it up!)
Posted Image

From the start Rob leapt into the lead and despite a couple of slides and one spin he held the lead throughout to take victory. Julie had amazed everyone especially Phil who had planned to set up his Scalextric but was having second thoughts!

Posted Image
Above - Rob's Ferrari en route to victory.
Posted Image
Above: The trophy.

So the final results were:
1st – Kingsley rob (Talbot & Ferrari)
2nd – Aurora Julie (Talbot & Ferrari)
3rd – Simon Arron (BRM)

Edited by Stephen W, 18 December 2009 - 10:50.

#3762 alansart

alansart

• 3,970 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:33

The first of the quarter-finals saw Alan Raine and Tony the Giraffe slug it out. Despite taking an early lead Alan’s Talbot started to suffer with an imbalanced front offside wheel and Giraffe started to close in. On the final corner Alan’s Talbot finally spun out and was hit by Giraffe’s similar mount. As Alan’s car was disabled he was declared the winner.

It was actually engine mount failure resulting in loss of drive before the last corner. A "Mansellesque" effort to push the car across the line succeeded, despite complaints from the long necked one that I was blocking his view :) My gallant pit crew (Barry) worked wonders with a tube of Super Glue to get my car re-fettled for the semis but unfortunately the driver was still suffering from the strain of that long push and lost to Kingsley "I'm taking this seriously" Rob - plus and I fell off a lot :blush:

That's 2 years in a row of lost in the semis to the eventual winner.

As usual with this crowd, a great evening and a big thank you to Simon for the track and to Barry for his fine selection of cars.

Has Simon got home yet?

Edited by alansart, 18 December 2009 - 10:35.

#3763 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,543 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:52

It was actually engine mount failure resulting in loss of drive before the last corner. A "Mansellesque" effort to push the car across the line succeeded, despite complaints from the long necked one that I was blocking his view :) My gallant pit crew (Barry) worked wonders with a tube of Super Glue to get my car re-fettled for the semis but unfortunately the driver was still suffering from the strain of that long push and lost to Kingsley "I'm taking this seriously" Rob - plus and I fell off a lot :blush:

That's 2 years in a row of lost in the semis to the eventual winner.

As usual with this crowd, a great evening and a big thank you to Simon for the track and to Barry for his fine selection of cars.

Has Simon got home yet?

Report edited accordingly.

May I also add my thanks to Simon for providing the Ninco track and Barry for once again producing a simply stunning array of cars for us to play with.

#3764 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,478 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:53

A very comprehensive report Sergeant Wilko! :up:

I'd like to thank Barry and Simon for providing track and cars, Alan for the splendid Scalextric tin-plate Ferrari 375, and Phil R for the trophy and Phil H for the caps. Also Steve for his military planning and DIZ the FIA official starter. Any offer for what FIA might stand for?? :)

Other thanks go to the mechanics, my sponsors and my personal trainer who has been working on my thumb action since last year's defeat. Also to my tyre engineers who superglued a wobbly tyre mid tournament after my Engelbert went a bit Humperdinck.

I could eulogise (or should that be ewelogise?) about Barry's cars forever, but suffice to say they are simply magnificent. :clap:

I regretted not having the opportunity for a shoot-out with the 2008 Champion, but fair play, he did have a long way to travel. Hope you got home ok Barry.

A great night, and some tough opposition - the V16/Simon partnership looked very threatening until our dark horse of the evening Julie was kind enough to knock them out with a steady and deceptively quick performance.

A happy Christmas to everyone and best wishes for 2010! :up:

Rob :) :) :) :wave:

#3765 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,478 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:20

However after just 4 laps there was a major mechanical mishap when Julie’s Talbot suffered terminal problems...

Really?

Are you sure?

Felt like a lot more laps had been completed from where I was positioned...

There were one or two very impressive starts away from the line, the competitors not being fazed by the laser and pyrotechnic antics of FIA DIZ.

Here is an illustration of just one of them, not particularly helped by the time lag of digital camera technology:

Posted Image

#3766 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,543 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:04

Really?

Are you sure?

As the official reporter for the Daily Bugle (I never like to blow my own trumpet!) I can assure you that my report does include facts that are factual.

;)

PS I did like the way you entered the arena last night; late as usual and then you threw in an impersonation of me!

:cool:

#3767 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,875 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 13:00

Really?

Are you sure?

You may be able to count them on Youtube tonight...

#3768 Ian Smith - Diz

Ian Smith - Diz

• 425 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 14:32

Posted Image

OK it's quiz time.

Was there ever a driver racing with such a handicap - or should that be headicap?

#3769 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 738 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 15:12

A happy Christmas to everyone and best wishes for 2010! :up:
Rob :) :) :) :wave:

And a very Merry Christmas from me too. Glad to hear that Talbots were well to the fore and hugely assisted the Maranello camp (Cheshire Branch) to victory. :clap: The Milanese lot now, presumably. have a year to prepare for the next campaign. Hope to be there.

Best wishes for a guid Hogmanay and I hope to join you again in 2010! :wave:

#3770 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,200 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 15:35

Thanks for a great evening. :rotfl:

Edited by elansprint72, 18 December 2009 - 15:35.

#3771 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,543 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 16:36

OK it's quiz time.

Was there ever a driver racing with such a handicap - or should that be headicap?

Posted Image
Julie's torsoless horsepowerman!

I have posted this elsewhere but this one's for the long-necked one .....

Posted Image

#3772 condor

condor

• 11,169 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 19:41

Sounds...and looks like, you had a lot of fun :) :up:

#3773 MCS

MCS

• 3,521 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 20:15

A terrific evening by the look of things.

Particularly peeved to have missed it, especially as I drove past The Kilton yesterday lunch-time and had my evening meal less than five miles from you last night (company Christmas do, re-arranged by my colleagues so that I could attend it!).

So near and yet so far.

Edited by MCS, 19 December 2009 - 09:10.

#3774 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 21:58

Think Jim Clark and Colin Chapman, Jackie Stewart and Ken Tyrrell, Ross Brawn and Michael Schumacher as I did last night at the Kilton Park Grand Prix where I witnessed the birth of a new partnership......

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Master and pupil: Kingsleyrob pictured deep in discussion with ex-F1 designer and constructor Barry Boor over tactics and the set-up of the car that took him to a decisive maiden victory in last night's thrilling race! :clap:

Edited by Giraffe, 18 December 2009 - 22:01.

#3775 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,256 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:10

Has Simon got home yet?

Yes, but only recently.

Here are some more edited highlights...

Posted Image
The thrill of the chase.

Posted Image
The starting gantry.

Posted Image
Is this the first posted picture of Giraffe that wasn't taken by the subject?

Posted Image
Hazardous trackside architecture - don't remember drivers having to contend with this kind of thing at the Nordschleife.

Posted Image
"Off! Off! Off!"

Posted Image
The final countdown: Kingsleylate v Aurora Julie.

Posted Image
Controversy mars the start of the evening's main event.

Posted Image
Kingsleylate en route to victory.

Posted Image
Classic jacket, as modelled by Aurora Phil.

Posted Image
Tatty old jacket, as modelled by Ian Smith.

Posted Image
Barry's cars might be wonderfully accurate, but the Monaco tunnel model needs a bit of work.

#3776 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,511 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:17

I shall take the opportunity during a period of brief connection to t'internet to echo previous comments and express thanks to Barry for his splendid efforts in construction the 1951 GP grid, and for his generosity in allowing a bunch of hoodlums to be let loose with his progeny. In the main, they were remarkably consistent in terms of performance, and it was a pleasant contrast to today's crop of commercial slot racers with their ludicrous 'out-of-scale' speeds, and magnetic enhancement and corresponding lack of 'driftability'. Thanks, too, to Simon for the use of his track. It should be pointed out that the trophy which Phil rescued from Pirelli's skip was for the 'Coupe des Dames' in the 1990 Pirelli Classic Marathon. A worthy recipient, therefore, in Kingsleyrob. Well driven, sir/madam!

#3777 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:35

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Team Patron Barry Boor, a picture of concentration as he awaits his protege Kingsleyrob's appearance in the final last night. The tension is very much apparent in the faces of the race officials and the press. :cat:

#3778 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:44

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Lap counter Alan Cox in stunned bewilderment, hardly believing what he has just witnessed as TNF hack Steve Wilkinson furiously scribbles down notes........ :eek:

#3779 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,145 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 23:07

Think Jim Clark and Colin Chapman, Jackie Stewart and Ken Tyrrell, Ross Brawn and Michael Schumacher as I did last night at the Kilton Park Grand Prix where I witnessed the birth of a new partnership......

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Master and pupil: Kingsleyrob pictured deep in discussion with ex-F1 designer and constructor Barry Boor over tactics and the set-up of the car that took him to a decisive maiden victory in last night's thrilling race! :clap:

Apparently with sponsorship from the famous Fenetton Unix Colon company :drunk:

Advertisement

#3780 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,511 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 23:10

Posted Image
neither Mr nor Mrs Beard were granted the favour of a second-round tie
Posted Image
Mr Smith appears to have evil intent...
Posted Image
....but found that he had bitten off more than he could chew
Posted Image
The track owner borrows Aurora Phil's picture frame while adopting an otherwise nonchalant air in practice
Posted Image
Messrs Hurdsfield and Boor check that all systems are go

#3781 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,769 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 23:17

Thanks to all those who have posted photos. I really must find out who that little bald bloke is who keeps pretending to be me!

I must commend the general standard of driving, which I thought, was far superior to last year.

I should apologise to all for the technical difficulties caused by my filed-down-3mm nail guide pins getting jammed in the groove on tighter corners. A failing that will be addressed should the event be repeated in 12 months time. (Should there be an apostrophe in months?)

By this time next year I should have a 1959 F.1 series of cars running but it occurred to me that maybe the gang would prefer some cars from this group:

Posted Image

These cars are not built at present, their series having ended a couple of years ago, but it would be a fairly simple matter to rebuild them for the Kilton Grand Prix.

Then again, we could all go and buy something like that sports Ferrari that Alan produced last night......

#3782 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,769 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 23:20

By the way, I think I'll compete next time!

#3783 Ian Smith - Diz

Ian Smith - Diz

• 425 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 23:58

I should apologise to all for the technical difficulties caused by my filed-down-3mm nail guide pins getting jammed in the groove on tighter corners. A failing that will be addressed should the event be repeated in 12 months time.

Some cars suffered more than others with this NGP jamming.
One that somehow springs to mind was the #3 car.

#3784 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:59

Some cars suffered more than others with this NGP jamming.
One that somehow springs to mind was the #3 car.

Poetic justice; in my programme, car #3 was driven by someone under the pseudonym of "Bad Santa". ;)

#3785 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,769 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:33

For once (dammit!) I have to agree with Diz.... It was mainly the Alfas that suffered from the problem and I am sure that had they not been so handicapped, Diz would have won the event comfortably.

(Oi, Mister, can you lend me a fiver?)

#3786 limjamrace

limjamrace

• 84 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:13

[quote name='Barry Boor' date='Dec 18 2009, 23:17' post='4046005']

Posted Image

These cars are not built at present, their series having ended a couple of years ago, but it would be a fairly simple matter to rebuild them for the Kilton Grand Prix

So pleased that you lot all it seems in my age group are having fun.
That's an impressive array of slot cars!
I remember being given an Airfix slot car set for a Christmas present way back in ?? 1960. It had or i added a Vanwall to the set,even then the standard of the cars was great considering it was after all an economy type of toy!
Sadly my late Father was not a hoarder and like so many of my childhood treasures things like this are supporting the countryside of urban Essex(landfill site)somewhere!
Anyhow its the real thing for me from now on. I'm out to emulate my Son's massive collection of trophies collected since he was nine. More like one of those dignified elderly gentleman mooching around the paddock in their fire retardents though!
Blow stacking away money for my pension ..I'm going to go out and achieve before i've one foot in the grave!
After all what else is there to do in life when your 57!

David L

#3787 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,283 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:59

Barry

Seems that both a certain German former World Champion and yourself are both missing the adrenalin rush  ;)

PAR

#3788 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,543 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:57

Lap counter Alan Cox in stunned bewilderment, hardly believing what he has just witnessed as TNF hack Steve Wilkinson furiously scribbles down notes........ :eek:

Hack!!!! I resemble that remark! :evil:

#3789 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:26

Hack!!!! I resemble that remark! :evil:

My Collins Gem Thesaurus defines 'hack' as a 'scribbler' or a 'penny-a-liner'. Unquestionably you are worth somewhat more than that Stephen, so maybe I should have used 'scribe' in the circumstances??? :blush:

#3790 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,543 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:29

My Collins Gem Thesaurus defines 'hack' as a 'scribbler' or a 'penny-a-liner'. Unquestionably you are worth somewhat more than that Stephen, so maybe I should have used 'scribe' in the circumstances??? :blush:

I'll settle for scribe although one magazine barely pays better than a penny-a-line currently!

#3791 alansart

alansart

• 3,970 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 18:04

Well you provide the cars, and you also drive a long way to provide us with our entertainment, so I think you should compete but as long as you are wearing ski gloves (3 sizes too small :eek:)

I'm sure you'll still beat us :)

Edited by alansart, 19 December 2009 - 18:04.

#3792 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 18:22

This has every bit the look of a man contemplating a comeback...........................

Posted Image
By giraffe138

....and like that German fellow, once a champion always a champion......... :wave:

#3793 Ian Smith - Diz

Ian Smith - Diz

• 425 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 20:41

Just been scanning other threads and somehow find that the Foinavon thread got me thinking about last Thursday evening.

Foinavon was a horse that won the 1967 Grand National Steeplechase after almost the rest of the field were involved in a great melee at 23rd fence caused by loose horses. Foinavon, trotting at its own pace far behind the main group, had time enough to avoid chaos and achieve sufficient distance from the few survivors to win the race. Foinavon was at 100/1 odds that day, and so, its win is considered one of the biggest surprises in sports history.

Making a resemblance with F1, there has been some races in history with absolute outsider wins, e.g. Olivier Panis, with a dog of a car, starting 14th and finally winning a rainy race in Monaco '96, with only four surviving cars.

So, who do you consider as a great, or the greatest, "Foinavon" in car racing history?

Am I alone in thinking that Kingsley Late could be a contender for the Kilton GP Foinavon Award? :lol:

#3794 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,543 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:25

Seeing as there is an appreciable number of the Northern contingent wishing to go to the TNF Hertfordshire UK Film Show how about organising/co-ordinating transport?

With KingsleyRob, Alan Cox, Roger Clark & myself we have at least one car full!

I await the rush! :cool:

Edited by Stephen W, 20 December 2009 - 11:24.

#3795 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,769 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:27

I might think about it if there was a group effort.

#3796 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,478 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 16:16

It should be pointed out that the trophy which Phil rescued from Pirelli's skip was for the 'Coupe des Dames' in the 1990 Pirelli Classic Marathon. A worthy recipient, therefore, in Kingsleyrob. Well driven, sir/madam!

I think I now get the drift of your congratulations Alan, so many thanks.

I was a little concerned at first with any intended insinuation about my being a "worthy recipient" of the Coupe des Dames. Anyone should be able to enjoy a spot of lager now and again without enduring heinous allegations.  ;) Perhaps you meant I was a wolf in Mouton's clothing, so to speak, although I promised Barry I would steer clear from any cheap, nay sheep, jokes.

And talking about nay, (or neigh) Diz, have you been on the pop, or inhaling your lighter fuel again? I don't get the Foinavon connection, though I remember the race well. Foinavon hadn't been a close second to Mrs Topham the year before, as I had.

Steve (I'd do those multiple quotes if I had your IT expertise), we've been down the route of a visit darn sarf before for one of RTH's film shows. You will recall that it started with a coach, then a minibus, down to a saloon car, a two seater, and then a unicycle. In the end, only Barry made the initial one, who was a dark horse (tempting, but I'll resist) and made the long journey "toute seule".

Of course Roger and I managed to get to the splendid summer one as a last minute addition to the guests. Indeed, the framed certificate given to members of the winning quiz team is nestling against the aforementioned "Coupes des Dames" on my mantlelpiece...

Certainly a better 2009 for me than my red-clad football team! :well:

Oh, and for all the pop/rock fans who like to know which concerts are high on TNFers lists, I'm off to see the Pet Shop Boys tonight at the MEN Arena. Top blokes they are. :up: :smoking:

#3797 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,283 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 16:27

Oh, and for all the pop/rock fans who like to know which concerts are high on TNFers lists, I'm off to see the Pet Shop Boys tonight at the MEN Arena. Top blokes they are. :up: :smoking:

That reminds me I have to feed the hamster  ;)

PAR

#3798 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,478 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 16:43

That reminds me I have to feed the hamster ;)

PAR

Do I detect a spot of stereotyping on this thread from time to time? And I don't mean hitting the keyboard whilst listening to the hi-fi.

Rob :lol:

#3799 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,543 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 16:49

Steve (I'd do those multiple quotes if I had your IT expertise), we've been down the route of a visit darn sarf before for one of RTH's film shows. You will recall that it started with a coach, then a minibus, down to a saloon car, a two seater, and then a unicycle. In the end, only Barry made the initial one, who was a dark horse (tempting, but I'll resist) and made the long journey "toute seule".

I thought I might as well try to get some sort of organisation into the proceedings having failed miserably with the Kilton Park GP!

:rolleyes:

Advertisement

#3800 alansart

alansart

• 3,970 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 16:58

Steve (I'd do those multiple quotes if I had your IT expertise), we've been down...........

They're easy!!

Steve (I'd do those multiple quotes if I had your IT expertise), we've been down...........

They're easy!!

They're easy!!

They're easy!!

Edited by alansart, 20 December 2009 - 17:00.