:wave:

Just thought might like this .

http://news.bbc.co.u...de/default.stm#

Advertisement

#2 jondon

jondon

• 617 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:52

Thanks for sharing your find. Would be helpful as a starting point for people wishing to know more about the evolutionary processes of F1 on a basic level. The links are quite good too.

#3 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,357 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:50

:)

I think any way to promote our favourite ( subject ) sport is a Good thing....

#4 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 15:25

I see the BBC website is reporting on Raikkonen's possibility of moving to Ferrari, or not, as the case may be.

They list Kimi's history in F.1. Apparently, he finished 10th in the World Championship in his first season, 2001, driving for RED BULL. Pretty clever given that Red Bull never entered F.1 until 2005.

Well done again, Auntie. :(

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 17:17

Someone's told them (or perhaps they read TNF):

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/23700586

#6 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 17:21

I see the BBC website is reporting on Raikkonen's possibility of moving to Ferrari, or not, as the case may be.

They list Kimi's history in F.1. Apparently, he finished 10th in the World Championship in his first season, 2001, driving for RED BULL. Pretty clever given that Red Bull never entered F.1 until 2005.

Well done again, Auntie. :(

The Beeb, or GCHQ, must monitor your every message, Barry, as it has now been changed to Sauber. Edit; Tim on the ball again!

Edited by john winfield, 14 August 2013 - 17:21.

#7 frp

frp

• 353 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 17:57

Red Bull did sponsor Sauber from 1995 - 2004, and was, I think, a shareholding partner for a while. So the Beeb was wrong, but not completely wrong.  ;)
Certainly, if a 'researcher' looked up a photo of Raikkonen driving in his first GP season, you can see why they'd have jumped to the wrong conclusion when they spotted the Red Bull logo on the airbox.

Andy

#8 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,810 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 19:35

Posted Image

I don't think those overalls even have Sauber on them.

#9 GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

• 98 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 19:51

Posted Image

I don't think those overalls even have Sauber on them.

Few drivers seem to have the team name on their overalls. This makes sense, as it would take up valuable advertising space.

The famous picture of Senna, Prost Mansell & Piquet shows them in their overalls without a trace of the words "Lotus", "McLaren" or "Williams".

I'd still expect someone (who after all, is being paid handsomely out of my telly tax to do so) to actually spend 20 seconds on Wikipedia to find out that main sponsor does not equal team name.

But with the idiot Andrew Benson in charge of their F1 coverage, I can't say I'm surprised by this level of ignorance. I'm just surprised it doesn't happen more often.

#10 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:55

Just spotted this on the BBC Sport site:

Murray’s Memories: Herbert masters Nurburgring

Formula 1 analyst Murray Walker recalls how the ever-popular Scot Johnny Herbert prevailed in a race that had six leaders

#11 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:17

Just spotted this on the BBC Sport site:

Murray’s Memories: Herbert masters Nurburgring

Formula 1 analyst Murray Walker recalls how the ever-popular Scot Johnny Herbert prevailed in a race that had six leaders

BBC really are slovenly - Johnny Herbert is now Scottish! :confused:

#12 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:03

It had been changed to 'Brit' by the time I checked it...

#13 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 13:13

BBC really are slovenly - Johnny Herbert is now Scottish! :confused:

Be fair - nowadays, 99.9% of the BBC's staff is solely engaged in defending the corporation from political and media attacks.  So this was probably written by the cleaning lady's neighbour's nephew.

#14 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 13:32

As I was the one who drew attention to this gaffe, I think it only fair to point out that the original article by Murray Walker originally ended with these words:

It was a truly emotional success for the legendary Scot.

so it was not unreasonable for the person quickly scanning it for the precis to go onto the BBC Sport home page to conclude that the 'legendary Scot' was Herbert, not Sir JYS.

The article has now been revised to end:

It was a truly emotional success for the legendary Stewart.

and as DMcK noted, they picked up on the error very quickly. Credit where credit is due.