Photo

Interserie in the mid 1970s

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:33

Interserie was touted as "europe's Can Am" and for the same Group 7 cars, although never with the same works team involvment of the north American original. It all went through a major crisis in 1974 and almost imploded.
Silverstone was the first event and didn't get a huge entry (although looking at it today one can only drool at the prospect of seeing 3 Porsche 917s 4 Can Am McLarens, a Ferrari 512M , an Alfa T33, a DeCadenet and about a dozen Chevrons and Lolas in one race) The following Nuburgring event had rather fewer cars and then much of the rest of the calender seems to have been scrapped. Events at major venues were out and some make-weight events at venues like Kassel Kalden introduced. Autosport started using words like "Farce" and stopped carrying it's previous well detailed reports.
The following year 'new rules' apparently came in and the fields grew and regularly included several of the world championship winning works team Alfa T33s for serious 'names' like like Derek Bell and John Watson. However by then the coverage in Autosport was sparse so my question is, what caused the 74 problems other than the after effects of the 73 oil crisis and the cost of running a 917-10? And what were the new rules that revitalised the series in 75?

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com
Purveyors of Motor Sport Books and Photos since 1985

Advertisement

#2 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:57

While I don't have an answer to your question, I did find it suprising that Vic Elford drove a Porsche 917-30 in the Interseries. I believe Leo Kinnunen drove a Porsche 917 in the series - post 1971. It'd be interesting if someone came out with a book that covered the Interseries.

#3 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:36

I remember watching the 1973 Martini International Interserie at Silverstone.
An exciting preview in Autosport, cars with so much BHP etc, but being so dissapointed at the quiet turbo 'whooosch' as they went past! At least there were a few chevvys in the race to keep it noisy.
Very boring processional races. I think Kinnunen won both parts of the race therefore winner on aggregate, leading home the 2nd place man by a similar margin in both heats which stayed constant throughout! The support of events of F.Atlantic, JCB historics etc, kept the meeting interesting though.

#4 john aston

john aston

• 2,695 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:59

I was marshalling at Croft in 1970 when the Interserie cars visited.The cars were of wildly different quality but Helmut Kelleners enormous 8litre March 707 Can Am car was quite something.

#5 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:16

It's funny how CanAm has an awesome reputation these days and Interserie, if recalled at all, is thought of as a kind of playground for a few rich kids.

Yet when you read Pete Lyons book on the former, even he admits most of the racing in Can Am was dull and processional, and very predictable.... but the sight and sound of the cars and the presence of such top line drivers made up for that in some respect. Having read some contemporary report of both Can Am and Interserie it seems to me they were really much the same in terms of close racing (or otherwise!) , but what the latter really lacked was works teams and a regular entry of F1 drivers . Given the amount of other racing an F1 driver could do on his weekends off at the time (F2, Indy, Can Am, ETC, world sports cars etc) is hardly surprising I guess! I think "spoilt for choice" is an apt term. A lot of F1 guys did race, but not regularly, among them Ganley, Watson, Bell, Gethin, Bonnier,Schenken, Follmer, Marko, Peterson, Lauda, Merzario, Elford, Reggazoni,Redman, Van Lennep and of course, with tragic results, Rodriguez....

Apparently Kauhsen and Kinnunen, the two leading 917 drivers at the time, had a very edgy rivalry. At Silverstone in 72 or 73 the two of them came to blows on the track and in the pits afterwards for what, today, a certain ITV commentator would rave about as "hard but fair racing"... except they didn't think of it as 'fair' in the early 70s!

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com
Purveyors of motor sport books and photos since 1985

#6 adminj

adminj

• 120 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:07

Originally posted by simonlewisbooks
Interserie was touted as "europe's Can Am" and for the same Group 7 cars, although never with the same works team involvment of the north American original. It all went through a major crisis in 1974 and almost imploded.
Silverstone was the first event and didn't get a huge entry (although looking at it today one can only drool at the prospect of seeing 3 Porsche 917s 4 Can Am McLarens, a Ferrari 512M , an Alfa T33, a DeCadenet and about a dozen Chevrons and Lolas in one race) The following Nuburgring event had rather fewer cars and then much of the rest of the calender seems to have been scrapped. Events at major venues were out and some make-weight events at venues like Kassel Kalden introduced. Autosport started using words like "Farce" and stopped carrying it's previous well detailed reports.
The following year 'new rules' apparently came in and the fields grew and regularly included several of the world championship winning works team Alfa T33s for serious 'names' like like Derek Bell and John Watson. However by then the coverage in Autosport was sparse so my question is, what caused the 74 problems other than the after effects of the 73 oil crisis and the cost of running a 917-10? And what were the new rules that revitalised the series in 75?

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

Hi!

Reffering to http://www.classicsc...rserie1970.html not Silverstone was the first event of the Interserie, but my "homecircuit" Norisring (Nuernberg).
Please visit http://www.norisring...e/norframe4.htm to get further informations about the very first Interserie race on June, 28th 1970. Unfortunately my site is in German only, but the pics are "international"! :)

I´ve read, the interserie ended because of the high costs of the running cars (especially the 917/10s and 917/30s). In Nuernberg happened Interserie races from 1970 to 1973 and the number of participating cars shrank every year.
Juergen

#7 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:19

"Reffering to http://www.classicsc...rserie1970.html not Silverstone was the first event of the Interserie, but my "homecircuit" Norisring (Nuernberg)."

Hi Juergen

I actually meant Silverstone was the first event of the crisis-affected 1974 season...

I wish I could read German and then I would be able to read more of your web site!
Do you have more photos of Interserie at the track?

Regards
Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#8 adminj

adminj

• 120 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 18:16

"Reffering to http://www.classicsc...rserie1970.html not Silverstone was the first event of the Interserie, but my "homecircuit" Norisring (Nuernberg)."

Hi Juergen

I actually meant Silverstone was the first event of the crisis-affected 1974 season...

I wish I could read German and then I would be able to read more of your web site!
Do you have more photos of Interserie at the track?

Regards
Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

Hi Simon!

Sorry, all photos of the Interserie Races I´ve got are published on my site. There are no "outtakes". But I´m still collecting and hope for more pics and stories....

With best regards and greetings from Franconia

Juergen

#9 renzo_zorzi

renzo_zorzi

• 96 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 19:02

i was born much later than the original interserie races had taken place but the father of one of my frands used to be an avid slot car racer so he had quite a number of interserie/can am cars i initially liked so i went on gathering information on interserie and can am.

for a person who didt witness the cars in the actual races i have to say there is something intriguing about them. those were sheer monsters, overpowered and with a great design. and from accounts of races in old automagazines i got the impression races in interserie AND can am had a tendency to be - well - not too exciting. esopecially with mclaren dominating the scene and then, suddenly when a real contester entered the stage - namely Porsche - the whole series went down the grain. so the overall impression i have is - the excitement was to be found in the beauty and beast approach (many cars more beast than beauty i reckon) rather, not in the racing itself. still for a die hard motorracing enthusiast interserie and canam were truly great race series.

ps: thanx a lot for the norisring pix they are awesome.

#10 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:45

gentlemen,

did some of you has a photo in colour of the PORSCHE 908 driven by N.LAUDA at THRUXTON

in 1970 ?

#11 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:18

DiGEQZ.jpg
:cool:

Edited by Rob Ryder, 28 July 2020 - 10:21.

#12 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:34

Originally posted by adminj

Hi Simon!

Sorry, all photos of the Interserie Races I´ve got are published on my site. There are no "outtakes". But I´m still collecting and hope for more pics and stories....

With best regards and greetings from Franconia

Juergen

Terrific photos Juergen. That March looks amazingly wide for such a narrow bit of road, I read somewhere that this car was 9 feet 3 wide!!!? Has there ever been a wider road racing car?
Is that first colour photo of the 707 showing the original first hairpin that was not used after 1971?

For all us non-German speakers who are itching to read Juergen's site I just found a web site that will transalate the text into a rustic but understandable english although it's limited to 700 words at a time....

http://www.freetranslation.com

Being an automated site without the benefit of a human eye to watch over it, this does throw up some amusing words and phrases. Among them in translates "Vic Elford" into "Vic eleven road" and refers to any driver "at the wheel" as "at the tax" !

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#13 adminj

adminj

• 120 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:24

"Terrific photos Juergen. That March looks amazingly wide for such a narrow bit of road, I read somewhere that this car was 9 feet 3 wide!!!? Has there ever been a wider road racing car?
Is that first colour photo of the 707 showing the original first hairpin that was not used after 1971?"

Oh, I was a spectator of this 1970 "200 Miles" race as a nine year old boy. It was so impressive, that I decided to publish the "norisringhistorie"-site (as a 42 year old "boy"... :rotfl: ).

I think, there is no wider racing car, than the March 707 was. And it made a terriffic sound!
You are right, Simon, the picture is one of the rare one, which shows the old hairpin. There was the location of my parents and me to watch the races, too. It wasn´t a wodden or iron stand, but camping chairs and picknick baskets!

After Rodriguez´ incident in 1971, the circuit was heavily shortened to the nowadays 2,3 km "sprint-circuit". To the 1971 and 1972 races a city map scan can be found on my site, which shows the correct dimensions of the old and the new Norisring circuit.

Again: http://www.norisringhistorie.de .

Regards
Juergen

#14 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 13:08

Simon, as to why Interserie never took off, well, I guess all Sports Prototypes were dying throughout the world by the mid-70s, Group 6, CanAm, the various National series. IMHO it was the initially maligned Sports2000 that served as a catalyst to get things moving again, but maybe thats a subject in itself !

As well, I always thought of Interserie as mainly a German dominated thing, and never designed to have the appeal/money of CanAm. In its heyday, there were plenty of cars around that were eligible, though as you say, the 'oil crisis' and world recession of the time contributed to its downfall.

#15 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 13:41

Hi Dan
I agree things were on the slide but then that happens about every 5 years in sports car racing history when you take a broad look at it...think of BPR GT in 1996 and how the FIA series degenerated in no time after that!

In about 72 David Piper is quoted as getting his 917K back out of mothballs in order to chase "relatively easy money" in Interserie - but then he had Chris Craft at the wheel who's one of the great unsung talents of this era, and the 917K was a reliable old nail, unlike many of the Group 7 cars.
I guess that the prize money for anyone NOT running a 917/10 was probabaly pretty good , but then Kinnunen is quoted as winning about £12,500 as series champion in a car costing £50,000.

Nothing at all unusual in that scenario today of course! Quite the opposite.

I think the whole business of starting/prize money was generally much more important back then as REAL commercial sponsorship remained in it's infancy and the big bucks needed to run a top car didn't come from the name pained down the side....

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#16 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:47

Thank you ROB for this pic.

I have seen in a french magazine a small photo of LAUDA's car who had the front bonnet

painted in red.

Unfortunatly I haven't this magazine.

It is surprising because the rest of the season the front bonnet was painted in green.

#17 Martin Krejci

Martin Krejci

• 272 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:51

I thought there were no major rule changes in 1975 except 3 litre cars were given points separately, so had more chances to win the championship against big Can-Am turbocharged cars. Herbert Müller used both 917/30 TC and 908/3-6 TC getting points in both divisions.

So season 1975 effectively started of Interserie two division system when whoever collected more points became overall winner. It became more recognizeable since 1976 when new group 6 rules were adopted, bigger division was limited to 3 litres (plus 5 litre production engines were allowed, and used mainly only by Hoffmann's McLaren until early 80s when engine size limits were cancelled in Interserie with group C era), and the smaller division was now only for 2-litre cars. So 1975 was the last year of great Can-Am cars in Interserie. They were later (1982) allowed back but these were mainly just converted F1, F2 and later F3000. But very old Hoffmann's McLaren M8F Chevrolet still made one off appearence in Interserie in 1999. And some few others Supersports Cup vintage machines appeared in 90s Interserie as well.

As for grids in 1974, I am not aware of they were getting much smaller than before. I think it varied on race by race basic but even before we had races with under 10 car entry (Keimola 1971) while in 1974 there was good entry at Silverstone, Nürburgring while Casale still had about 20 cars. Not sure about other races since the reports became worse... I think the problem was lack of true Can-Am cars that Interserie was intended for.

#18 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:38

Originally posted by Martin Krejci
I thought there were no major rule changes in 1975 except 3 litre cars were given points separately.

I thought that originally but one or two references quote turbos limited to 4.5 litres for 1975 in an attempt to slow up 917-10s a little (not that it worked, looking at how fast Tim Schenken was every time he appeared!). Something must have changed in 74 as the original calender was

Silverstone
Nurburgring
Hockenhiem
Enna
Dijon
Salzburgring
Nurburgring
Zolder
Mugello

what actually occured was

Silverstone
Nurburgring
Kassel Calden
Nurburgring
Casale
Hochenhiem

5 races cancelled 1 resheduled and 2 added - chaos!
I agree the number of cars was not always bad, in fact look at it today and the fields often seem really intersting by today's standards.

I'm quoting here from http://www.wspr-raci...rserie1974.html which isn't complete but is the best source I have found for series results at the time.
I also read somewhere that the final race was squeezed in at an existing Hockenhiem event as an attempt to keep the series FIA approved as less than 6 races would have lost it's championship status.

I didn't know Hoffman's M8F ran as late as 99 ! Amazing. The guy certainly had his money's worth out of that car! I believe he also run a really wild bright yellow Group5-style Opel Commodore in some earlier Interserie events. Anyone remember that one?

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#19 Martin Krejci

Martin Krejci

• 272 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:27

I didn't know Hoffman's M8F ran as late as 99 ! Amazing. The guy certainly had his money's worth out of that car! I believe he also run a really wild bright yellow Group5-style Opel Commodore in some earlier Interserie events. Anyone remember that one?

As you may know, Hoffmann converted his car to group C in 1982 and campaigned into mid 80s, when he acquired Holbert CAC2, in my oppinion the prettiest modern Can-Am car seen ever in Interserie. I haven't heard of him much since early 90s but later he re-appeared with his old McLaren, now coverted back to open spider, in Thundersport series and ran almost regularly. In his one-off come back to Interserie he was apparently just non-starter, but it was nice to see him after so many years.

I have some information that Peter Hoffmann appeared in Opel Commodore in 1974 Interserie race/races(?) but I have no other information than an entry at Nürburgring with Steinmetz Jumbo Commodore in Strockcar class. With the same car he was listed in final results of 1975 Interserie together with his ex-Kelleners McLaren M8F, but I have strong doubts Commodore was ever legal car to get points in Interserie.

Are you sure with 4.5 limit for Turbos in 1975? In my database I keep both 4.5T and 5.0T engines in 1975 but my sources may hace been wrong and it needs correction.

Advertisement

#20 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:30

Engine changes happened in 1974; Turbocharged racing engines were limited to 4.5 litres in 1974. Production based turbocharged engines could still go to 6-litres or thereabouts. The "Sport 500" class also came in in 1974, for racing 3000cc/2142cc turbo, or various permutations for production based engines.

I think I'd also say that any 1970s field is interesting by today's standards...!

#21 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:07

So just like in Can Am, Interserie more or less hit the buffers at the same time as it had a rule to limit engines (and thus costs and speeds) in some way - shutting the gate after the horse has bolted! How many times has that happened in motor sport?
And still the authorities never seem to learn (the new F1 engines for example...oh boy!)

Does anyone have a photo of Hoffman's McLaren in Group C trim? I can't remember seeing it and it's an intriguing concept.

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#22 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:01

basically it was a McLaren (Trojan, according to some reports) chassis clothed with the current Lotec M1 bodywork

http://www.thegaffer.../autos/2947.php

#23 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:10

This is Thruxton in 1970 from 'Autosport'.
Posted Image

#24 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:36

Hi Simon. hope you are well.
Is this the same Hoffman (Peter) who races in the Orwell Supersports cup? If so, this is his McLaren which he still races today and he claims to have owned from new. Taken at Brands in 2003. Close up with the bodywork off I have never seen such a dirty (in need of a clean) race car in all my life!
Posted Image

#25 Martin Krejci

Martin Krejci

• 272 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:49

I believe it is the same McLaren Hoffmann has campaigned since 1975. It doesn't have chassis plate anymore (at least I didn't find it on it) but according to my best knowledge it is M8F-72-02 that was owned by Felder from new and raced by Kelleners in 1972 and Weber in 1973. The car was not used in 1974 and then was acquired by Peter Hoffmann. I think he thought that he has it 'almost' from new. Another Interserie veteran that raced in Supersports in the car I saw by early 80s was Jan van Straaten with his Lola T292 Cosworth. By 2000 he still used the same color scheme as back in 1983, when I saw it... I think van Straaten raced the same car from 1976 but I have no idea about its chassis number or previous owners.

#26 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:00

Hi Andrew and Fausto

Thats the one... gorblimey the Lotec version looks "steroidal" with the classic McLaren M8 injection stack poking out of the top!
According to GpC rules that would have actually been illegal as no engine componant was supposed to be visible in plan view. A rule that didn't get enforced initially (did anyone really notice?) and caused Jaguar, among others, a bit of a fright when an FIA scrutineer finally picked them up on it!

Doesn't that Thruxton line up make your eyes water? Is the second white 908 Lauda(the helmet colour looks familiar)?

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#27 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:26

Does anyone remember whether that Thruxton meet was televised ?

I have a vivid memory of watching a Thruxton (Ithink) sports car race of some sort on tele in the early 70s, won by Marko. Murray was commentating so I guess it was BBC. For some obscure reason the memory has stayed with me all these years, and esp the name Helmut Marko. Could it have been this race ????

#28 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:37

Jurgen Neuhaus won this one, and it definitely wasn't televised by the beeb. They televised the Easter Monday sports car race at the F2 meeting that year that Seppi won in David Piper's 917 though.

(And yes Simon, that is Lauda on the second row of the grid !)

I think the BBC covered the Martini Silverstone race in 1971 which Hezemans & Marko had fun in, so that may be the one you're thinking of.

#29 thecako

thecako

• 171 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 15:07

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
This is Thruxton in 1970 from 'Autosport'.
Posted Image

Did some one have other photos of the porsche 908 martini racing at thruxton in 1970?

gregoire

www.martini-racing.new.fr

#30 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 19:18

http://img193.echo.c...ser00010wp.jpg" target="_blank">http://img193.echo.c...00010wp.th.jpg" border="0" alt="Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us" />

SIMON ,
here is the HOFFMAN's car .Unfortunatly i don't know the race.

I think it is in ITALIA.

#31 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 19:21

SIMON,

the samhttp://img259.echo.c...ser00024yq.jpg" target="_blank">http://img259.echo.c...00024yq.th.jpg" border="0" alt="Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us" />e car(?) in 2001 OLDTIMER GP.

#32 dwall

dwall

• 26 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:51

apologies for the quality of the photo . Hoffman can be seen arriving stage right, the photo was taken at the DRM race in support of the German GP in 1982

Posted Image

another picture of the car is on the racingsportscar website at the Norisring 1983

probably the best result for Hoffman in this car, was fourth in 1977 in Rd 2 of the World Championship for Sports Cars at Monza :eek:

#33 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:36

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dwall
[B]apologies for the quality of the photo . Hoffman can be seen arriving stage right, the photo was taken at the DRM race in support of the German GP in 1982

Posted Image

Curious, probably the first Gp.C car to sport a wing on a standard nosecone, Grid had it but it was rather radical, Richard Lloyd arrived at Brands '84...

#34 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:33

Originally posted by fausto
Curious, probably the first Gp.C car to sport a wing on a standard nosecone, Grid had it but it was rather radical, Richard Lloyd arrived at Brands '84...

The 1982 Lola T610 also had a front wing in it's original form. This was discarded for Le Mans in a quest for low drag, thus making for one of the ugliest cars ever to came out of the Lola workshops!

Thanks to Gerard and dwall for the photos, the 1970s shot seems to back up your view Andrew that the car was not exactly kept very clean.. even then!
I see the nose cone now fitted resembles the one on the VDS M8F Turbo from 1972 and looks more like a 917-10 Turbo nose than a McLaren.

Posted Image

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#35 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:40

The 1982 Lola T610 also had a front wing in it's original form. This was discarded for Le Mans in a quest for low drag, thus making for one of the ugliest cars ever to came out of the Lola workshops!

Yes, I forgot, and your post made me remember the even uglier version of the T610, the one raced at Brands Hatch.....
http://www.racingspo...2-10-17-008.jpg

#36 renzo_zorzi

renzo_zorzi

• 96 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:44

http://www.racingspo...0-17-photo.html check out two more front-wing group c cars. aston martin and lola. besides i also recall a porsche 956/62 with a frontwing that totally destroyed the otherwise great looks of that model.

#37 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:21

Oh yes! Now thats an ugly Lola! I'd forgotten that version... yuk!
And the Nimrod, yes I remember that one with the nasty little front wing. Otherwise a very charismatic car I always thought.

Interesteing on that link to see the Name Martin Birrane among the entries .... isn't/wasn't he something to do with the current ownership of (whipser this........) MG Rover? I may be wrong here of course, and given what a touchy subject this is in Britain right now I hope I am!

Simon Lewis

#38 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:36

Not a huge fan of the 610 Lola, but at Brands it looked alot better than when was at Silverstone!
Silverstone T610

Another driver at the same brands meeting who went on to bigger, if not better things, was Eddie Jordan, sharing a 935K3 with Dudley Wood.

#39 renzo_zorzi

renzo_zorzi

• 96 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:41

simon, i am a youngster so i never did see the aston martin in action but from my self-taught motor-racing history lessons i have to say the aston indeed was a cool car, same goes with the tremendously looking sauber which entered the same race (and most sportscar races in 1982) especially its somehow futuristic rear wing! besides those front wings also remind me of that aerodynamics fad goin on at roughly the same time (maybe a little earlier) of huge frontwings in formula 1, the best example beeing the 1981-theodore!

Advertisement

#40 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:56

Like this.
Big wing

The Aston was a very cool sounding car as well. I think its design was a bit dated when it appeared, Could be wrong but I think it was based on a earlier design.

#41 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:12

Originally posted by Nordic
Like this.
Big wing

The Aston was a very cool sounding car as well. I think its design was a bit dated when it appeared, Could be wrong but I think it was based on a earlier design.

I think it was actually a 1977 Lola chassis design study that Aston and it's partners in Nimrod purchased. No ground effect and 1970s suspension meant it's results were actually surprisingly good for the rather antique design. And it DID sound great! In fact early Group C cars were generally a gloriously diverse and individual bunch and I for one am very pleased my dad took me along to see the 82 Silverstone event !

The AUTOSPORT report reckoned it was boreing as hell (were they watching what I was watching???) but I was rivitted and 6 hours passed in no time. It was fascinating.

Long live variety in sports car racing and heaven help the day it becomes what modern day F1 has become with identical looking and sounding designs.....

Which brings us back to Interserie and diversity among the entries. OK the racing may not have been wheel to wheel but the cars were different to look at and to listen too (i even have an audio tape someone let me copy from Silverstone in 72) .
Variety is something many a modern race series cannot supply.

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#42 renzo_zorzi

renzo_zorzi

• 96 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:13

yeah exactly! thanx for the pix!

#43 Martin Krejci

Martin Krejci

• 272 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:27

When I first saw a picture of Lola T610 or even Lola T600, I really hated them. But one year later when I saw T600 in action, I became a fan of these Broadley's machines and quite like them (except the strange version from B.H. 1982). If any of modern sportscars looked so cool, I would be quite excited. For me by far the worst sportscar that came out of Lola factory is Lola B05/40 (with B2K/10 not much better).

In the past I quite loved T70 and T296/8 series but that so loooong ago......

#44 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:56

Someone was selling a VDS McLaren door in Belgium a month ago. I'm trying to find the pictures again...
I remember a reference about the nose cone having a relation with a Porsche but I don't remember where I've read it :

#45 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:06

On the subject of Lola's one of the most dramatic looking has to be the T222 , the type that Bonnier ran and featured on Juergen's Norisiring site....
Posted Image

Enormous swoopy bodywork which looks like the realisation of some wind-tunnel operator's day dream! Probabaly the 2nd biggest sportscar after the March 707? Possibly the 917-30 might be a bit bigger?

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com
Purveyors of Motor Sport Books and photos since 1985

#46 Nordic1

Nordic1

• 66 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 16:29

The only time I can recall seing a T222 racing was in 82, with the sadly departed Gerry Marshall at the wheel.

The car was mighty.

#47 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 16:42

SIMON,

the car in 1977 at the 1000km of MONZA where it was four !!

the precedent pic I send was during the 1000km of MONZA 1976.

Posted Image

#48 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 16:44

another view of the car atTHE OLDTIMER GP 2001 at NURBURGRING.

Posted Image

#49 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 16:52

the LOLA T222 of the french driver R.FRAISSINET.
Posted Image

#50 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 17:28

does anyone had the reference of the ''AUTOSPORT'' from ANDREW

scan the photo of THRUXTON 1970 ?