Photo

Occoneechee Speedway

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 21:53

Received word today from a concerned citizen that the Highway Department is trying to get approval to allow a "bypass" to be constructed on this property. Very interesting former track with a lot of history. Hope this link works:

http://www.carolinac...eedwayJan04.pdf

Our group will attempt to help.

Henry

Advertisement

#2 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 23:17

Henry, if I read the results correctly, Fireball Roberts' first NASCAR win was in 1950 on the dirt at Hillsboro.

And we know when his last win was...

#3 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 23:42

Lotus 23, great catch..

I received a very interesting e-mail from a group that wants to do the same at Occoneechee Speedway as we have done at AIR/AIS. That is what prompted this thread.

I saw the design for the memorial base today for the Augusta International Raceway and it is impressive, a lot of angles that will lead up to the current monument that will be on top and of course all the names including Mr. Roberts.

The height will come in at 10 feet and a total weight of somewhere around 7000 pounds.

Very, very rewarding and I would ask that we attempt to save the memory as many of these fomer venues as possible, especially those that sit on public lands.

Perhaps Occoneechee Speedway is next.

Henry

#4 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 21:50

Was fortunate enough to walk the last remaining track from NASCAR's first racing season last week with concerned citizens from the Hillsborough, NC area. There is a real possibility that a portion of the track will be removed for a new highway. Seems its listing in the National Register of Historic Places does not impress local officials.

The track is still intact with portions running very close to the Eno River. Mild banking in the turns can still be seen and the entire track can be walked. The main concrete grandstand area is still in place (aka Lakewood Speedway) as is the former ticket booth.

Sorry my camera did not want to coorporate so here are sections of the printed literature that is present at the trail entrance. Reference sites are listed in previous posts.

If your travels take you to North Carolina, include this one.

Henry

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 kwazykat

kwazykat

• 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 14:21

hi everyone!

just wanted to say howdy and let you all know if you have an opportunity to visit our track, we would love to have you check it out!

henry, thank you soooo very much for the visit from you and yours last week. it was incredibly inspirational to know how much success you have had with your project [and an eye opener to all the hard hard work involved].

we are looking forward to getting this show ON track and keeping a 'new' road OFF our track!!!

this space is so under-used by citizens because no real effort has been made to bring attention to the track and all of it's beautiful glory...... i suppose that is my job now!!

i will be very busy over the next few weeks sending information to drivers or representatives of drivers who raced at occoneechee. it is one heck of a task, but i am hopeful of some responses to at least acknowledge the effort being made to preserve and protect this historic site. i am hoping some of the responses will be supportive of this effort and allow us to begin our network of NASCAR support.

feel free to shoot me an email if you have an interest in visiting, i can surely recommend a great little pub with cold beer and a hot cheeseburger! yum!

kaylin aka kwazykat aka 'kk' :)
hillsborough nc

#6 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 17:02

Beautiful day here in Georgia and the grandkid is in house! :eek: Between his naps am trying to document.

Modern Day of Occoneechee Speedway located just East of Hillsborough, NC.

Henry

http://www.racing-re...o/tracks?id=104

Posted Image

#7 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 22:47

It is good to see progress being made at the old lady! :wave:

http://www.historics...n_Projects.html

Amazing what interested people can do to a former racing facility that sits on public land.

Henry