Photo

Chevron B19/30: 1971 Springbok Series

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Russell_Sheldon

Russell_Sheldon

• 57 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:08

I was wondering if anyone could possibly assist me, please. I'm looking for colour pictures of the Chevron B19, chassis #30, which was entered in the 1971 Springbok Series by John Abrahams.

Rand Daily Mail 9 hours, Kyalami, 6.11.1971
8th Dirk Marais / John Abrahams

Cape Town 3 hours, Killarney, 20.11.1971
5th Dirk Marais / John Abrahams

Lourenco Marques 3 hours, 28.11.1971
8th Dirk Marais / John Abrahams

Embassy 3 hours, Bulawayo, 5.12.1971
5th Dirk Marais / John Abrahams

Die Volksblad 3 hours, Goldfields, 11.12.1971
DNF Dirk Marais / John Abrahams

Natal Mercury 3 hours, Roy Hesketh, Pietermaritzburg, 27.12.1971
4th John Abrahams / André Verwey

Apparently during unofficial practice for the Pietermaritzburg Three Hour Endurance Race at Roy Hesketh Circuit on 27th December 1971, the final round of the series, where Abrahams shared the car with André Verwey, the Chevron had a small fire, requiring re-wiring.

I believe the car remained in South Africa until 1976, although there doesn't appear to be any record of John Abrahams racing in the 1972 Springbok Series and the only B19 raced that year was driven by John Rowe. Abrahams shared a Lola T292 with Charles Lucas in the shortened 1973 series. The car is currently owned by Steve Hodges in the UK.

In addition to pictures of the car in its original livery, any other information about the car would be greatly appreciated!

With kind regards,

Russell Sheldon
Dubai, UAE

Advertisement

#2 HEROS

HEROS

• 239 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 16:50

About the Chevron B19, chassis #30, I can propose you a link where this car is for sale :

http://www.race-cars...109089312ss.htm

There are recent pics about it and some details.

#3 Russell_Sheldon

Russell_Sheldon

• 57 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 14:52

Many thanks for the link, Jean-Bernard.

I believe that this car has since been bought by Steve Hodges and will be campaigned in the 2005 Orwell Supersports Cup. Details here.

Marius Matthee has kindly sent me a scan of the programme from the 'Die Volksblad' 3 hours, held at Goldfields on 11.12.1971, which lists the car as being yellow. I guess that it has been repainted blue.

Posted Image

Any pictures would be greatly appreciated, please!

Kind regards,

Russell

#4 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 16:42

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Russell_Sheldon
[
Marius Matthee has kindly sent me a scan of the programme from the 'Die Volksblad' 3 hours, held at Goldfields on 11.12.1971, which lists the car as being yellow. I guess that it has been repainted blue.

At the 27/12/71 Natal Mercury Roy Hesketh 3 hour event the car was yellow.

I recall listening to John Abrahams saying he was at the Chevron works whilst it was being built, very proud he was, and rightly so.

#5 Andregemini

Andregemini

• 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:59

Hi Guys, I had the very unique opportunity to have driven two cars in the same race......
I had my own Lola T212 which I shared with Eddie Keizan during the rest of the 1971 Springbok Series. Before the Hesketh Three Hour
I was approached by Ray Abrahams of Ray's Racing, father of John and owner of the Team to drive the Chevron for the race.
I had given up my drive in Bulawayo to John Love so he could score points in the overall standings after Helmut Marko had a monumental accident
during practice.
This placed me 3 points behind Eddie.
I agreed and my strategy was that if I could finish more than 2 positions ahead of my own car, I would be on the same points standing as Eddie but also,
should I finish first South African home, I would also get the Coveted Hoo Forster Memorial Trophy.
So I drove the first hour and a half session in my own car and was lying fourth overall. I jumped out of the car, tipped a bucket of cold water over myelf,
jumped in the Chevron and drove like hell. In the end I finished fourth overall in the Chevron and my car finished seventh. Mission accomplished!!!
I would also love to have some photos of both cars.
The Chevron was Yellow as delivered from the works and must have been changed later.

#6 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:00

I would also love to have some photos of both cars.

Here is a link to a video of a race which you were apparently in:

Vince H.

#7 hansfohr

hansfohr

• 574 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 13:13

Hi Guys, I had the very unique opportunity to have driven two cars in the same race......

Have you been rewarded full points for both?

#8 RoyHeskethHeritage

RoyHeskethHeritage

• 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:01

Check out the following link and the click on the programme cover to view contents. 

http://royheskethcir...Programmes.html