Syracuse (Italy) map/track data

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 willem

willem

• 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2000 - 18:02

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a track for grand prix legends.
I've chosen syracuse in sicily italy as the one.
I've searched everywhere but i can't find the info i need on this circuit.

Anyone out there who can help me out..
The more details the better...track banking...scenery...etc..etc..
The closer the info is to 1967 the better...

Cheers,
Willem

Advertisement

#2 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 08 August 2000 - 06:52

Posted Image

Taken from http://www.silhouet....cks/tracks.html

#3 pinchevs

pinchevs

• 438 posts

Posted 08 August 2000 - 12:26

Willem,
I'll try and see what I can come up with. When and if something comes up, I'll e-mail it to you.
Moshe

#4 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 09 August 2000 - 09:25

There's a photo here : http://www.racer.dem...8w/8w-1098.html

Here's "something" too, although I doubt if it's worth anything :) http://www.bboor.fre...historics3.html

Our very own DD had a page about the 1955 Syracuse GP : http://www.ddavid.co...a1/syra1955.htm

#5 willem

willem

• 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2000 - 10:40

Hi guys...

I allready knew them but thanx for URLs, i'm using that map from DD for the basic layout.
I'm beginning to think syracuse is a no go...to little info:(
I'm might need to pick another circuit.

To pinchevs, if you come up with anything that you wanna mail me the e-addy is willem at bart.nl

thanx guys
Willem

#6 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 09 August 2000 - 11:13

Found another picture :
http://www.ferrari.i...leria/20gf.html

The 1967 pole time was 1:41.6 by Mike Parkes in a Ferrari btw

#7 willem

willem

• 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2000 - 13:10

Ahhhhhh...thanx...that's a good one!!!

cheers,
Willem

Originally posted by Marcel Schot
Found another picture :
http://www.ferrari.i...leria/20gf.html

The 1967 pole time was 1:41.6 by Mike Parkes in a Ferrari btw

#8 opplock

opplock

• 950 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 19:30

I'm visiting Sicily in a months time and Syracuse is on the itinerary. The circuit map above is the best I have been able to find. Comparing this to modern maps my best guess is that the streets making up the circuit were - SS124, Via Necropoli di Fusco and Contrada Dammusi (as described on Google Maps). Is anyone able to confirm this?

#9 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,727 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 21:31

That's bang on.  Pity they've built an autodrome across half the old circuit though :well:

#10 opplock

opplock

• 950 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:28

Thanks Chris.

#11 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 13:47

syracuse.jpg

Here is a view with the return leg dotted in red, that now is obscured by the new autodrome. There have been other changes - the railway used to have a level-crossing on the straight up to the first hairpin, and there was also a narrow-gauge line crossing the track at some point.

Google Streetview can take you round quite a bit of the course which is still public roads.

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 04 September 2015 - 14:29.

#12 opplock

opplock

• 950 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 14:10

Thanks Paul. We're visiting Syracuse as part of a coach tour so I'm not sure I'll get to see the circuit. If not it'll join the Piccolo Madonie on the agenda for a future visit.

#13 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 15:08

What is the new autodrome used for? Not heard of any racing there since 1967 :cry:

#14 opplock

opplock

• 950 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 15:44

There is a Wikipedia page in Italian mentioning the Autodromo. Google Translate converted this into:

"Later he tried to finance a dedicated plan to return to motor racing in Syracuse, with the construction began in 1972 the Autodromo Internazionale of Syracuse, a project that has been standing for many years during which the competitions were not held, but where testing and free practice of cars and motorcycles were held on the feasibility of the ribbon of asphalt [2]; only in 2013, however, they have been allocated funds for the completion and modernization of the structures of the circuit, functional to its openness to competition [3].​"

Living in Kent the idea of a circuit being built and remaining virtually unused for more than 40 years is hard to imagine.

#15 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:55

Thanks Paul. We're visiting Syracuse as part of a coach tour so I'm not sure I'll get to see the circuit. If not it'll join the Piccolo Madonie on the agenda for a future visit.

This may come a bit late, but I only just returned from a trip to Sicily. We took a coach trip from Taormina to Syracuse (and on to Noto), and it's virtually certain that any similar tour from the north would take the S124 from the motorway to Syracuse. That means travelling most the old back straight in opposite direction. It's a bit difficult to spot exactly when you're hitting the part used for the circuit, but you will know you're there before arriving at the hairpin. Driving on towards Noto we did not go back to the motorway, so never got to see the circuit through a competitor's eyes.

#16 opplock

opplock

• 950 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 14:31

Thank you for that information. We will be travelling from Taormina and returning there so hopefully will use the S124 in both directions.

#17 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,727 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 22:16

Just  had a look at Streetview and it appears that since 2010 ( when the previous images were taken ) the S124 has been widened and a roundabout built. Doesn't look like you can get direct access to Floridia corner anymore but have to take turning off the roundabout onto a road running parallel with the S124. :well:

#18 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:27

I went to check on Google Maps and to me it looks virtually the same as in Macca's post #11. We definitely drove along the S124 past the cemetery and arrived at the hairpin, where it was possible to look back through the rear window to Via Necropoli di Fusco. There is a roundabout at or just after the hairpin.