Photo

Animals on the track

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,076 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 21:30

Having a near impact with a family of deer at VIR (thanks God it was at the Oak Tree turn and at reduced speed) got me to wondering if there have been occasions or multiple occasions of animals on track in the premier series from around the world.

And, did these impacts or near impact effect the outcome of a particular event.

Photographs of animals on track (forget certain drivers) would be special.

It was a slow day at work!

Henry

Advertisement

#2 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 21:36

http://forums.atlasf...ghlight=animals

:)

#3 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 543 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 22:55

Wasn't there some kind of a "loon" on the track at Silverstone a couple of years ago?

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 23:00

Yup. And another at Hockenheim.

#5 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,076 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 23:08

Originally posted by Pils1989
http://forums.atlasf...ghlight=animals

Antoine, thanks.

How about TNF members and their experiences.

Henry

#6 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 23:27

I didn't now, till last september after a near-miss, we have vultures in Georgia but I haven't spotted them at Road Atlanta.
Actually, you don't see them often.
I had my first go at emergency braking (non-assisted) with the Elise to avoid crunshing a deer but it was on a public road at night near le Mans!
Curious that american motorways aren't fenced like in France!
Indeed that's a completly OT post :)

#7 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 682 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 00:10

Broadford circuit in Australia has had it's share of animal strikes.
The worst was when a kangaroo came from the outside of the circuit and ran at full speed into the path of the leading riders just as they come over a blind rise on the back straight - one rider injured but recovered. Bike was rebuilt, roo not so fortunate but it did provide a banquet for 5 resident wedge tail eagles!
A snake caused a problem at a track day not long after the roo drama, the 1.2m brown snake was basking in the sun about 150m before Turn 1, SBK rider Nick Henderson thought it was a branch so was using it as a braking marker. Snake was getting closer to the corner each lap - Nick got a PB that session.

#8 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 00:43

A recent one was when Seb Loeb nearly look out a bull on the Rally Argentina.. a very close call :eek:

#9 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 277 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:59

He hit the bull with the right fender of the Xsara, breaking a bull's leg. He put the left wheels down the road and had a puncture. I was at the rally and heard the screaming of the guy that was following Loeb on the chopper for the local radio show. ¡He hit a cow!, he said. Later were to discover it was quite the opposite...

#10 Arthur Anderson

Arthur Anderson

• 151 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 18:31

For years it seemed, it was virtually traditional to spot a rabbit hopping around on the front stretch at Indianapolis prior to the start of the 500--so traditional that IMS Radio Network announcers Sid Collins and later Paul Page used to comment on how many consecutive years this happened.

In 1967, Dan Gurney took a pigeon (pigeons are as common as houseflies in cities in the midwestern US) right in the middle of his radiator, at speed, on the front stretch in practice. The hapless bird's carcass drove a large hole cleanly and completely through the radiator core, as if it had been a hollow punch.

Dave LeFevre, of Lafayette, got the call to replicate a new radiator for the Eagle overnight, and I believe, had the original damaged unit hanging in his shop for several years afterward.

Art

#11 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,534 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 17:20

Hasn't a hare been cited as the cause of Chris Irwin's horrific crash at Nuerburgring?

#12 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 17:45

Thanks to 'Autosport' for this shot, sometime in the 70s. A Formula Ford takes avoiding action on the pit straight at Mallory.
Posted Image

#13 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,270 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 17:56

A few years ago during an Isle of Man TT race, a helicopter landed in a field close to the circuit to collect an injured rider. Unfortunately a horse in a nearby field panicked and ran onto the course only to be struck by an approaching rider. Both horse and rider were killed.

#14 rosemeyer

rosemeyer

• 245 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 23:54

Should these be merged

#15 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,714 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 13:03

Hares are often hit at race meetings. Silverstone has seen many such incidents, thankfully the marshals rush out to collect the remains - funny what they will do for a bit of meat!

Last year at our British Sprint round at Colerne Martin Dowling hit a hare whilst travelling at VERY high speed. The hare was obliterated. Poor Martin was hit by a shower of blood from the hapless animal. The car, an ex-F3000 Reynard, was damaged and it was a labour intensive process to extracate all the bits of hare from the car.

Loton Park which is used for the British Hillclimb championship is a deer park and there have been several instances of the meeting being suspended whilst deer are chased out of the trees and bushes.

Finally I seem to remember a photo of Tim Schenken in the Austrian GP with a stag charging across the track in front of him.

#16 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:14

just found this rather funny picture on TNF'er Manfred Mothes site :)

http://www.highsider...Roche_83_06.htm

#17 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 23:36

Hmmmm - Raymond Roche - any relation to the Raymond 'Toto' Roche, president (?) of the AC de Champagne and infamous for his highly individual ways of dropping the starting flag?

#18 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,076 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:23

Originally posted by philippe7
just found this rather funny picture on TNF'er Manfred Mothes site :)

http://www.highsider...Roche_83_06.htm

Yes, the little fellers are definately in the "line"........................

Henry

#19 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:49

Friend and occasional TNFer Miles Fenton came over Deer's Leap at Westwood to find a mother bear and two cubs in his path :eek:

Advertisement

#20 ggnagy

ggnagy

• 261 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 15:26

http://jordanmotorsp...5365/1/32676360

#21 tomkatf

tomkatf

• 32 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 21:52

Didn't Kling take a vulture through his MB 300SL's
windshield doing about 125mph during '52 Carrera Panamericana? As I remember it knocked out Klenk,
his co-driver. They later added 8 vertical bars in front of the windshield, to...ummm..."soften" any further impacts...
I think a number of dogs paid the price during these races as well.

Best,
Tom Farrington
www.tomfarrington.com

#22 John B

John B

• 6,294 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 17:54

I've seen a number of photos from the 1985 Canadian GP practice and qualifying which have groundhogs on the track as cars go by. There's an image of Lauda just missing one with the McLaren.... :eek:

#23 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:33

Originally posted by D-Type
Hmmmm - Raymond Roche - any relation to the Raymond 'Toto' Roche, president (?) of the AC de Champagne and infamous for his highly individual ways of dropping the starting flag?

I do not think so. Raymond "the bike racer" is from Toulon, quite a way from Reims . But maybe his mother was a secret fan of "Toto" Roche, since Raymond sounds like a very outdated first name for someone born in the mid-fifties.....was more fashionable at "Toto" Roche's generation.

Roche is not a very unusual name in France actually ( I'm called Philippe Roche by the way ;) ) it originates from the Massif Central region ( where you find Auvergne , Clermont-Ferrand, Charade, you see ? )

#24 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,076 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:44

For lack of a better place and not wanting to start a new thread the name "Jocko Flocko" has been mentioned in several threads about being an "animal on track".

http://www.timflock.com/

Tim's wife Francis will be in Augusta this weekend for our annual event and I found this new photograph at Tim's web site. First actual photograph I have seen of the famous friend of Tim Flock who enjoyed riding during the race.

Henry

#25 markpde

markpde

• 522 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:37

Gerard Larrousse told a gruesome story about hitting a large dog during practice for the 1971 Targa Florio in his Martini Porsche 908/3. It finished up in the cockpit with him, still alive. After he pulled up, a local farmer 'dispatched it with a pitchfork'. Sorry, should have kept that one to myself. :

For a life-affirming twist of fate, there's also the story in Chris Nixon and Elly Beinhorn Rosemeyer's 'Rosemeyer! A New Biography' about how Bernd and Elly first met, after the Mazaryk Grand Prix at Brno, Czechoslovakia, in 1935. Hans Stuck, Rosemeyer's then far more illustrious team mate, was struck in the face by a sparrow - 'clearly with a grudge against Germany,' according to Elly - which shattered his goggles, ultimately forcing him to retire. Rosemeyer was left to win his first Grand Prix (Varzi retired the other Auto Union, and Mercedes weren't there that day, only Scuderia Ferrari's Alfa Romeos). Elly was invited to congratulate the young fellow, which she did reluctantly (her sympathies lay with Stuck); they shook hands next to the Auto Union, smiled for the cameras, exchanged a few words...

http://einestages.sp..._borderless.jpg

http://einestages.sp..._borderless.jpg

Who knows, if it wasn't for that sparrow...

#26 John Saunders

John Saunders

• 77 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 15:24

At Thruxton in 1977 there was a dog, (a large German Shepherd) that got onto the track during
practice for a F4 race. It was running up Woodham Hill & through the Club Chicane & back again chased by a group of Marshals, there were waved Yellow Flags but practice just carried on drivers swerving around the dog & the Marshals (today it would be a Red Flag for sure). Someone started a rumour (it my have been me) that one of the slower drivers improved his lap times by following the dogs line through the Chicane.

Badge number 171

#27 Rosemayer

Rosemayer

• 1,253 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 17:55

Police car VS Deer

#28 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 868 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 19:35

There was an aligator on track once at Sebring. Then there was Johanson's crash at Zeltweg of course (a deer) and plenty of collisions with birds at Zandvoort (Moreno in 1982 for example).

#29 Fr@nk

Fr@nk

• 143 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:26

This is a deer that cross the track few meters from the Stommelen's car during the practice of Austria Grand Prix at Zeltweg in 1973.
This thrilling situation was not so unusual in the Zeltweg track at the time...

Posted Image

#30 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:45

Not related to racing, but I "hit" a doe on a remote country road once. I saw it, it saw me, and we both almost stopped before colliding. It was more of a case of the doe hitting me rather than the other way around. The doe "bumped" into my car, sort of slid up on the hood, then bounded off into the woods.

I pulled off the road and went to inspect the damage. I didn't think there would much, if anything. WOW. That "little" bump put a pretty big dent in the front of my car. Couldn't believe how much damage that small impact did - and at such a low speed.

I can't imagine how much damage a high-speed impact with something like that could do...

#31 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,368 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:19

Originally posted by Fr@nk
This is a deer that cross the track few meters from the Stommelen's car during the practice of Austria Grand Prix at Zeltweg in 1973.
This thrilling situation was not so unusual in the Zeltweg track at the time...

Posted Image

That can't be Stommelen, surely - he drove Brabham BT42 #9 at Austria 1973. I think it's more likely to be Tim Schenken, who drove Surtees TS9B #24 at Austria 1972. :)

#32 Fr@nk

Fr@nk

• 143 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:07

That can't be Stommelen, surely - he drove Brabham BT42 #9 at Austria 1973. I think it's more likely to be Tim Schenken, who drove Surtees TS9B #24 at Austria 1972.

Sorry,
it was a mistake !
I confused two photos of my little collection...
You're right.
The photo shows Tim Schenken's Surtees TS9B during the practice of the Austria GP 1972 at Zeltweg.
The deer and the track, definitely, are the only correct informations ! :o :o :o
All the rest was wrong... :blush:
Thank you for your help !!!

#33 Pist-N-Broke

Pist-N-Broke

• 36 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:25

I was up at Morgan Pk race circuit, Queensland Australia a few weeks ago and was told they have an extra flag to go with the usual green, red, and yellow etc. Apparently it has a picture of a Kangaroo on it. :lol:

#34 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:43

This past week Brad Coleman was testing a Gibbs Cup car and a coyote apparently ran onto the track right in front of him at a supposed 190 MPH

Some really graphic pictures are making the rounds. I posted a thread in RC but it was removed really quickly due to the graphic nature of the photos. And I had only linked them, not embedded, them, AND I had a warning in there! So I guess they're pretty gross, but I found them pretty average really

#35 Touti

Touti

• 341 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:27

There isn't a beast on earth that can compete with Montreal's infamous groundhog :smoking:

http://www.youtube.c...E...PL&index=23
http://www.youtube.c...s...PL&index=22

Disclaimer: No animals were hurt during the taping of the above F1 races :p

Edited by Touti, 09 August 2009 - 05:29.

#36 RCH

RCH

• 791 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:21

May be wrong but I believe I have seen a photo somewhere of a deer running alongside Nuvolari's Auto Union at Donington.

I don't think anyone has mentioned sheep on Eppynt? The only time I rallied there the sheep were quicker than me...

#37 Bruno

Bruno

• 562 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:59

1987: Zeltweg: Johansson/Mc Laren in practice

Posted Image

#38 RCH

RCH

• 791 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 13:05

Oh dear, I'm not sure I wanted to see that!

#39 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,075 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 13:05

Nuvolari and the deer. I guess you had that in mind:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#40 RCH

RCH

• 791 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 14:37

Well it wasn't quite as fanciful as that but it proves I wasn't dreaming!

#41 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,094 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 14:45

Bruno, can you edit the [IMG] tags out of that picture, I don't think anyone here wants to see it, thanks.

#42 Bruno

Bruno

• 562 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:01

Bruno, can you edit the [IMG] tags out of that picture, I don't think anyone here wants to see it, thanks.

sory Paul i'm not anderstand.

expliquation in French?

#43 thisismoto

thisismoto

• 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 15:02

Didn't someone hit a rabbit at the indy 500 in the late 80's?

#44 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,094 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 21:18

sory Paul i'm not anderstand.

expliquation in French?

Enlevez le code de votre message. Le dessin n'est pas agréable.

Edited by Paul Taylor, 10 August 2009 - 21:20.

#45 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:28

It is a gruesome picture, I wish I would not have seen it, but still my conscience tells me it's wrong not to show and see such a picture. People post a thread about Animals at the Track... and then we have to keep our sensible eyes clean of blood? It's like discussing the Battle of the Somme and then protest against the pictures of dead soldiers...

So I share your sentiment... but not the logic.

#46 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:16

It is a gruesome picture, I wish I would not have seen it, but still my conscience tells me it's wrong not to show and see such a picture. People post a thread about Animals at the Track... and then we have to keep our sensible eyes clean of blood? It's like discussing the Battle of the Somme and then protest against the pictures of dead soldiers...

Very well put. I do not have a problem with this particular picture in the context of this thread. This is the reality of animals on the track. Mercifully on this occasion the driver was not injured but he might have been. It is a natural tendecy to joke about what we fear, eg "Harry the hare" but we do need reminding is that this is not really a laughing matter.

What I did find offensive (as Paul Taylor knows) was when on another forum they had a thread "Identify this crash" and when I pointed out that as people get killed, injured, psychologically injured or bankrupted by crashes this was not an appropriate subject for playing guessing games, the moderator stated that the concept had his full support with the sole proviso that the photos should not "show any gore". I resigned from the forum in disgust.

#47 Bruno

Bruno

• 562 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:43

yes,
is not morbid, but show what happened

ce n'est pas morbide, mais juste montrer ce qui s'est passer.

#48 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,094 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:51

You missed my point, I never said the photo should be removed, just the [IMG] tags. Then at least people have a choice whether to see it or not.

#49 jatwarks

jatwarks

• 202 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:02

I can remember standing above the Surtees pit at the Silverstone GP one year when one of the drivers pulled in with a modified nose and most of a Hare embedded in the radiator intake.

It may have been practice rather than the race, and the car a TS9 (?).

The normal procedure when testing at Silverstone, apparently, is to complete a few slow laps blipping the throttle to begin with to clear the 'Silverstone Hares'.

#50 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 20:55

I have told this before, but it is about an animal on the track, so here goes:

Back in the early 1980s the SCCA Formula Super Vee series went to Mexico City a couple times, usually accompanying the Trans Am. My friend Dick Eisenmann was then the chief steward of the series. Crowd control was then in the hands of the Mexican army. During practice a dog got loose on the circuit and was running around the main straight. Dick called for a red flag and told a Mexican army officer who was in the control tower that they had to get the dog off the circuit. The officer barked (pun intended) an order in Spanish to a subordinate, after which Dick watched in amazement as an army infrantryman unslung his rifle from his shoulder, took aim, and.......problem eliminated.

Tom