Photo

Animals on the track

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#51 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,414 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 21:03

And then there was Cristiano Da Matta hitting a deer at speed during practice at Road America a few years ago. Da Matta was severely injured and underwent brain surgery. Fortunately, Da Matta eventually recovered, but the accident effectively ended his career.

Tom

Advertisement

#52 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:17

You missed my point, I never said the photo should be removed, just the [IMG] tags. Then at least people have a choice whether to see it or not.

I understood you the first time. I find clickable photo's (that appear only when you click it) very appropriate when it's offtopic or slightly offtopic. In this case... but I never said you were wrong to suggest what you suggested. I just felt tickled.

#53 hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball

• 35 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 15:51

WARNING: Gruesome Photos.... Animal stuck in grill opening !

This appeared on Indiana Open Wheel Forum today:

http://www.indianaop...ead.php?t=21654

Coyote vs NASCAR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Gibbs Racing driver Brad Coleman was testing a Gibbs NASCAR Sprint Cup Series car at Toyota Arizona Proving Grounds earlier this week and came onto the radio and told his crew something rather unusual.

"Guys, I hit a coyote," Coleman said.

Coleman was running close to 200 mph around the 10-mile test track when he saw the animal wander under the outside guardrail. "I'm in the middle of the corner, and I'm doing like 190," Coleman said Friday at Nashville Superspeedway before practicing his Nationwide Series car.

"I'm just cruising. You run the high line there, because that's where the most banking is. It's the high-speed lane. There's just a guardrail there like on the freeway. "

"I see this thing, it must've been 100 feet in front of me, just jump out. Right when I saw it come out from under the guardrail, I was like, 'That's a coyote.'"

"It just started smoking like crazy," Coleman said. "And it smelled terrible. I didn't see anything in the mirror, so I was like, 'I wonder where it went?' I said, 'Guys, I hit a coyote. I'm going to come in because I think it screwed up the radiator. I think it clogged up the grille a little bit.'"

==========================

Tom

#54 La Sarthe

La Sarthe

• 98 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 16:29

When testing the original 'Snowplough' Ferrari 312B3, didn't Jacky Ickx strike a rabbit at either Modena or Monza? I think its remains got lodged in one of the front radiator openings and caused a bit of a mess.

Peter

#55 Michael Henderson

Michael Henderson

• 27 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 22:04

Following the recent Henry Surtees fatal crash and then the head strike sustained by Felipe Massa, the FIA Safety Commission prepared a report for the World Motor Sport Council on the incidence of "flying object" incidents resulting in injury or death. I contributed some data. In the context of the current thread, I included the accident in which Alan Stacey was killed during the 1960 Belgian Grand Prix, at Spa Francorchamps. He crashed after being hit in the face by a bird on lap 25, while lying in sixth place with his Lotus 18. Stacey's team mate Innes Ireland stated that some spectators had claimed that a bird had flown into Stacey's face while he was approaching the curve, possibly knocking him unconscious, or even possibly killing him before the car crashed.

On a closely related matter, before the Australian Bathurst 500 meeting earlier this month the local council quietly and controversially authorised the shooting of 140 kangaroos in the area, supposedly to lower the risk of a collision.

#56 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,637 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 22:39

Following the recent Henry Surtees fatal crash and then the head strike sustained by Felipe Massa, the FIA Safety Commission prepared a report for the World Motor Sport Council on the incidence of "flying object" incidents resulting in injury or death. I contributed some data. In the context of the current thread, I included the accident in which Alan Stacey was killed during the 1960 Belgian Grand Prix, at Spa Francorchamps. He crashed after being hit in the face by a bird on lap 25, while lying in sixth place with his Lotus 18. Stacey's team mate Innes Ireland stated that some spectators had claimed that a bird had flown into Stacey's face while he was approaching the curve, possibly knocking him unconscious, or even possibly killing him before the car crashed.

On a closely related matter, before the Australian Bathurst 500 meeting earlier this month the local council quietly and controversially authorised the shooting of 140 kangaroos in the area, supposedly to lower the risk of a collision.

Roos have been a problem in the past at the circuit. A few years ago Steve Richards hit one though from memory the damage wasnt great. But huge potential for a big prang if one was hit full on.

#57 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,725 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 23:13

And there was the famous incident where Jason Bargwanna barely missed on in a pre-race warm-up lap coming out of Forrest Elbow...

Caught on TV, it's really a wonder it doesn't get more airplay.

#58 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:51

There's nothing like a quiet controversy ! Best kind,really !

#59 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 677 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:27

Recently under similar circumstances we applied for a permit to cull up to 200 kangaroos from around our circuit.
Up to 150 were grazing on each side of the circuit and were a real safety issue.
The permit was granted and the very day it was received in the post the roos vanished into the surrounding hills!
Now and again a few real big males show up but we wave the permit at them and they retreat back into the high ground.

Advertisement

#60 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,069 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:32

Hershel McGriff nearly hit a cow south of Leon during leg 6 of the 1950 Carrera Panamerica. A horse was standing on the road, and a soldier threw a stone at the animal, trying to get it off the road. Instead the horse fell down, and McGriff just missed it at a speed of approximately 90 mph.

This incident was mentioned in the following excellent report on the 1950 race:

http://www.airportjo...m?varID=0704006

#61 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 438 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:20

Then there was the 'human' animal that ran down the track at the British GP a few years ago. Some mad priest dressed in a kilt or something.
You can forgive innocent creatures but...

#62 john medley

john medley

• 1,155 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:29

Far be it for me to take this thread off topic, but once when I was playing Rugby, the family dog formerly in my wife's care ran onto the field. The ground announcer unkindly(in my view): "Mrs Medley, please get your animal off the field"

#63 BRG

BRG

• 11,409 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:34

When I saw that this thread had resurfaced, I assumed it must be for the Redwinged Blackbird that starred in the recent Canadian GP hiatus.

#64 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,210 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:20

... I assumed it must be for the Redwinged Blackbird that starred in the recent Canadian GP hiatus.

I thought for a moment you were talking about this one

#65 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 996 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 21:22

This tale may be local folklore, but I understand that in an SCCA race at the La Junta, Colorado, airfield/track, a driver of an open car had a snake thrown into the air by a car ahead, and it landed in the cockpit with him.

Frank

#66 pete53

pete53

• 353 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 21:33

I have only ever seen three hares in my lifetime , two of which were at race circuits. One was at Silverstone (International Trophy) and one at Nivelles (Belgium GP) , both in the 1970s and both animals survived despite being on the track in the middle of the race.

#67 pete53

pete53

• 353 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 21:34

This tale may be local folklore, but I understand that in an SCCA race at the La Junta, Colorado, airfield/track, a driver of an open car had a snake thrown into the air by a car ahead, and it landed in the cockpit with him.

Frank

driving a Cobra? :lol:

#68 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 22:08

I've heard that very same story.... has to be true. :)

#69 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 22:28

And then there was Cristiano Da Matta hitting a deer at speed during practice at Road America a few years ago. Da Matta was severely injured and underwent brain surgery. Fortunately, Da Matta eventually recovered, but the accident effectively ended his career.
Tom

A sad tale indeed.... I was on the phone with both the Team Manager and Chief Fabricator friends minutes after this, it still breaks my heart. The event has been mis-reported throughout time, there were two deer on the track, Cristiano missed the first but caught the second animal. Very sad, and likely avoidable if it wasn't a closed, private test with just that team on the track. (IIRC)

I hope the following doesn't bring readers down, but it certainly applies here. I had a very good karting friend and pit mate who became a multi-time Pikes Peak Hillclimb champion later on, named David Donner. His older, sole brother and lifetime mentor Bobby Donner III led David to a family 1-2 finish at Pikes Peak in 1989 in the Open Wheel division, then Bobby was killed in late 1989 when his open-cockpit car struck a deer buck at over 100mph on a closed-course event near Pikes Peak. David was the first to arrive at the crash scene as the next car in line, and the local paper ran a sickening photo of David at the scene. For David and his family, I wrote Bobby's epitaph for On Track magazine, a grim task of extreme difficulty that needed doing for a longtime friend.

A sometimes cruel sport that we all love regardless.... RIP, Bobby Donner.

(I just fact-checked my dates.... and realized that Robert Donner II died in 2010.... RIP to both Robert Donners) :cry:

Edited by E1pix, 16 June 2011 - 22:35.

#70 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,621 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 00:19

Hope this is not too off topic, in the summer of 1985 I arrived just after dawn one Sunday morning at Oulton Park after an all night drive from Brighton, being totally out of sync with my sleep pattern I went for a walk around the track to stretch my legs and was surprised to find much of the track particularly on the stretch from Cascades to Lakeside covered in slugs.

I'd guess most of them will have been mopped up by the end of the mornings practice session.

#71 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,637 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 00:42

South Australia is in the grip of a mice plague in rural areas. I believe a few mice were 'squished' early in the day at the recent race meeting at Mallala. A friend stayed out there on the Friday night but the mice forced him home for the saturday night.

#72 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,212 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:30

Deer were a real problem at Westwood. I believe two Formula Ford drivers were killed after hitting deer. Eventually, deer spotters were posted around the circuit and races would be stopped if any deer were seen near the track.

Vince H.

#73 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:47

Deer were a real problem at Westwood. I believe two Formula Ford drivers were killed after hitting deer. Eventually, deer spotters were posted around the circuit and races would be stopped if any deer were seen near the track.

Vince H.

I can hear spectators yelling at the flag marshals "WAVE THE DEER FLAG ! " :eek:

#74 markpde

markpde

• 522 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 14:42

Hope this is not too off topic, in the summer of 1985 I arrived just after dawn one Sunday morning at Oulton Park after an all night drive from Brighton, being totally out of sync with my sleep pattern I went for a walk around the track to stretch my legs and was surprised to find much of the track particularly on the stretch from Cascades to Lakeside covered in slugs.

I'd guess most of them will have been mopped up by the end of the mornings practice session.

#2347 in the list of Racing Drivers' Excuses (after early morning practice): "I slid off on the slugs..." (Seriously, if you've ever picked one up, they're slimy buggers!) :|

#75 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,621 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 14:59

#2347 in the list of Racing Drivers' Excuses (after early morning practice): "I slid off on the slugs..." (Seriously, if you've ever picked one up, they're slimy buggers!) :|

I don't think you could pay me to touch one, let alone pick one pick one up, what would one use a pair of BBQ tongs ? :eek:

#76 markpde

markpde

• 522 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 15:20

I don't think you could pay me to touch one, let alone pick one pick one up, what would one use a pair of BBQ tongs ? :eek:

As long as you don't BBQ them - they're poisonous. I've eaten two deer in the past year, though - one roadkill (didn't kill it myself), one died of natural causes in the winter. Waste not want not, but I'm just a poor country boy...  ;) :)

#77 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,621 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 15:32

Thanks for the advice on handling slugs Mark, I think I'll leave them to the egogs they seem better equipped to deal with these things :-)

#78 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,471 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 15:53

Frank

No idea if that one is true but recall a local FF driver (Carlton Tingling?) pulling off the track approaching Lodge Corner at Oulton Park - driver appeared to be 'frozen' in the car. When the marshals arrived they asked him what was wrong and he seemed to be saying - snake, snake, snake and shivering uncontrollable. Eventually they managed to get him out the car and found a grass snake down the footwell. When he calmed down the story was that he ran a bit wide coming out of Druids onto the grass and the snake was flicked up by the front wheel landing on his lap. Driver was take to medical centre and snake given a decent burial.

Edited to add question mark

Edited by ExFlagMan, 17 June 2011 - 16:31.

#79 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 16:01

I once interviewed John Cleland on the subject of his then, new team mate James Thompson. I asked how he thought young James would cope with the BTCC racers. He replied that he thought Thompson would be fine in qualifying, but would find it hard to cope with the likes of Harvey and Menu in the race; "They're animals".

Does that count?

Advertisement

#80 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 16:29

Intermediates, or full wets?

#81 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,471 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 16:32

Intermediates, or full wets?

Studded tyres and salt maybe?

#82 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 16:37

Studded tyres and salt maybe?

Tire chains?

With or without a slug plow?

Edited by E1pix, 17 June 2011 - 16:38.

#83 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 438 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 16:46

Many years ago I was watching a karting practice day in South Africa. They have a species of tortoise/turtle there that walk somewhat faster than the ones we are used to in the UK.
One of them managed to position itself on the racing line at the exit of one corner just as a kart came round. As the rear tyre ran over it, there was a loud bang and entrails flying everywhere.
The driver must have seen all this before and didn't even bother to stop...

#84 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 16:51

Many years ago I was watching a karting practice day in South Africa. They have a species of tortoise/turtle there that walk somewhat faster than the ones we are used to in the UK.
One of them managed to position itself on the racing line at the exit of one corner just as a kart came round. As the rear tyre ran over it, there was a loud bang and entrails flying everywhere.
The driver must have seen all this before and didn't even bother to stop...

Man, that would surely bend an axle! In my karting I've swerved to avoid prairie dogs a few times, never hit one.....

I'm an animal lover (even slugs :) ), and missed hitting a stray dog by inches at 90mph once. Scared the H out of me! The track owner adopted the dog and named him "Slick." We all love the dog now, but I thought "Lucky" was a better name choice....

#85 ronmac

ronmac

• 825 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 23:06

:wave: NOTICE in the Press,,this morning.
LOST DOG..
Golden Retriever.One rear leg missing.
Right ear missing.Tail cut off.No teeth.
Blind in one eye..
Answers to the name of LUCKY.

#86 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 23:14

Not "Missy?" :wave:

Doing okay, Ronmac? :)

Edited by E1pix, 18 June 2011 - 00:41.

#87 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,159 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 23:47

No idea if that one is true but recall a local FF driver (Carlton Tingling?) pulling off the track approaching Lodge Corner at Oulton Park - driver appeared to be 'frozen' in the car. When the marshals arrived they asked him what was wrong and he seemed to be saying - snake, snake, snake and shivering uncontrollable. Eventually they managed to get him out the car and found a grass snake down the footwell. When he calmed down the story was that he ran a bit wide coming out of Druids onto the grass and the snake was flicked up by the front wheel landing on his lap. Driver was take to medical centre and snake given a decent burial.

Edited to add question mark

Has come up before in the forum I think though the previous time may have involved an Adder bunjee jumping without a rope from the trees somewhere nearly the Bailey Bridge into someones lap ! :D

#88 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,196 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 00:02

This exchange is from the Oulton Park scoreboard thread:

On the subject of grass snakes and Oulton, I'm sure this is true, but I was at Aintree that day in 1975 - running a Formula Three race in opposition to the might of John Webb and co. But that's another tale.
The father of a driver who got to F1 was racing a Formula Ford and failed to stop at Lodge and broke his ankles. The cause being a grass snake being scooped into the footwell of his car during a grassy moment a corner or so earlier. Said snake got tangled round the stem of the brake pedal, stopping it actuating the brakes - hence limited retardation at Lodge.
Bonus point for naming the driver, two points for the make and model of car.

Still nothing to do with the scoreboard though, but maybe it was slightly, cos if said driver had been in the top six, he number would have been removed on the following lap.

I was at Lodge and witnessed the incident. I can still picture the snake being removed from the car by a rather hesitant marshal…….

I was standing next to Mr Arron and he has already alluded to this incident in a previous post. So I won’t steal his thunder, rather let him describe the incident on his return from Barcelona.

Did you notice his article on Oulton in this week’s Motorsport News included the word “crepuscular”, he obviously swallowed a Dictionary at some point since he left the North West ;)

Kind regards

Phil

Actually, the word I used was "post-crepuscular"...

Driver was Keith Wilson, father of Justin and Stefan, and the car was a Jamun (a T5, I think). I have discussed the incident with Keith (a top bloke, who is still based in Sheffield) several times - he seemed mildly bemused that I actually witnessed the incident. He sustained leg injuries that kept him off work for a year, left him with a permanent limp and ended his racing career.

Justin's career began injuriously, too, albeit rather less dramatically: he broke a wrist when he stuffed a Formula Vauxhall Junior at Brands Hatch...

#89 ronmac

ronmac

• 825 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:10

:wave: YES Thanks Ei Pix..Doing O.K. But of course don.t live in Chch.myself now..I.m on the Gold Coast .Aus.
Though many well known drivers are still there..Harold Heasley.Trev.Crowe.Avon Hyde.Kelvin Brown ,Pete Leversedge,,
All the O.S.C.A. drivers and 50 others..(even more )
And tell me E1 Pix What time would suit you for Rons Quiz Number 14..(When all the others are asleep !! )Ha Ha..
I realise 6 P.M. Aussie time. is a bad time for you,, (3A.M. I Think )

#90 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:16

Ronmac:

3's a might early for sure! :eek:

I'd love to play, actually many nights I'm still working at 3am, but not for a spell now (backpacking soon).

Hopefully sometime.... and Thanks! And Our Best to all CCers! [wish we could help somehow, open to ideas if so....)

#91 ronmac

ronmac

• 825 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:57

:wave: Ei Pix..As you are not too busy ?? Fly to Aussie this week..We can backpack up Mount Warning (one hour away )
Meet up with Peter Leversedge..and Ray Bell.and Ron Rutherford .Swim in the Pacific 10 minutes away (20 degrees still our temps )
Back pack in the Aussie bush (20 minutes away ) Parrots.Bush turkeys, (snakes) though I hav.t seen snakes. Check out over 100
Wallabys in the reserve (5 minutes away ) Feast on the local delicacy Mudcrab and Moreon Bay Bugs..and spend the rest of your cash at the Casino...How bout that.?? (see you soon ) Don.t you think that I would make a good travel guide .? All Welcome to come.

P.S. V8.s are racing at Hidden Valley this weekend..

#92 ronmac

ronmac

• 825 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:12

:rotfl: Sorry ,, getting back to animals.
.Ei Pix I think the lost dogs name was Lossie..I remember the movie.
LOSSIE COME HOME .... :lol:

#93 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,306 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:05

Posted Image

Nuvolari with the unfortunate trophy secured by his Auto Union during initial running at Donington Park, pre-race, 1938.

Photo: The GP Library

DCN

#94 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:45

Road America, 1969. Denny Hulme and his McLaren M8B about to intersect with an unfortunate rabbit.

photo: Edward Deaux
Posted Image

#95 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 18:47

:wave: Ei Pix..As you are not too busy ?? Fly to Aussie this week..We can backpack up Mount Warning (one hour away )
Meet up with Peter Leversedge..and Ray Bell.and Ron Rutherford .Swim in the Pacific 10 minutes away (20 degrees still our temps )
Back pack in the Aussie bush (20 minutes away ) Parrots.Bush turkeys, (snakes) though I hav.t seen snakes. Check out over 100
Wallabys in the reserve (5 minutes away ) Feast on the local delicacy Mudcrab and Moreon Bay Bugs..and spend the rest of your cash at the Casino...How bout that.?? (see you soon ) Don.t you think that I would make a good travel guide .? All Welcome to come.

Sounds GREAT, wish I could!!! But, perhaps I've confused and annoyed Ray too much on the 'Answering with a Question' thread for him to want to put up with me in person! :wave:

:rotfl: Sorry ,, getting back to animals.
.Ei Pix I think the lost dogs name was Lossie..I remember the movie.
LOSSIE COME HOME .... :lol:

:lol:

Road America, 1969. Denny Hulme and his McLaren M8B about to intersect with an unfortunate rabbit.

Posted Image

My Goodness, I remember seeing this incident in person when I was 9.... in fact, that kid at far left looks like it could well be me! That would be curious as I just commented to someone here the other day about him finding himself in a photo here.... WOW, 42 years ago!

#96 MCS

MCS

• 3,530 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 19:16

Not sure if this has already been mentioned here, although I am sure it has elsewhere, but a rabbit was found in the footwell of Chris Irwin's sports prototype Ford P68 following his career-ending crash in practice for the Nürburgring 1000 kms in 1968.

#97 RStock

RStock

• 1,316 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 22:16

They have a lot of incidents with animals on track at Pocono. Neil Bonnet once struck a deer. They had a rabbit loose one race, and in this one a chicken.

#98 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,046 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 23:50

Posted Image

There used to be the ocassional Hare running around the Warwick Farm racecourse in Sydney in the early 1970's but i never saw a car actually hit one. Around the same time a Rally Car went through a farm fence in outback NSW and killed a stud Bull that was standing there,value of the Bull was over $20000 so major ramifications for future NSW Rallying regarding insurance and roads used.

#99 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 996 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 00:08

Looks like Hulme had a harey moment.

Advertisement

#100 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,706 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 00:28

That rabbit may be in less danger than the spectators behind the 'safety' fence. :eek: