Photo

Animals on the track

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#101 ronmac

ronmac

• 825 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 00:46

:wave: CERTAINLY Was a ...........RAREBIT........of footage..!!

Advertisement

#102 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,931 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 20:51

Turkey has a problem with dogs. Think it was 09 when a GP2 car took one full into the sidepod. Nice job for the mechs.

Austria quali or practise was halted in 02 for deer on the track. Cue Montoya's failed radio joke.

Re- slugs.

Here where I live we have a "toad crossing" with warning signs etc.. I think it's not so much in wanting to preserve toads that these signs are up, but there is a real risk of sliding on them if you run over at 50mph.

#103 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,102 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:47

During the 1963 East Safari Rally, Erik Carlsson's SAAB 92 hit an ant bear near Mbulu, cutting his lead from half an hour to 15 minutes after repairs.

#104 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:41

That rabbit may be in less danger than the spectators behind the 'safety' fence. :eek:

That's for sure, even I recognized the danger when I was 5.

It was cool, though... and I'd return to that atmosphere in a minute, hazards and all.

#105 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,805 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:52

I see that by age 9, you were OK :lol: [ Post #95]

#106 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:37

I see that by age 9, you were OK :lol: [ Post #95]

Well, Yeah.... pretty sure I even made it to 10! :)

First time there I was 3.... still thought everything was safe! :wave:

Edited by E1pix, 08 July 2011 - 10:39.

#107 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,433 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 14:28

That rabbit may be in less danger than the spectators behind the 'safety' fence. :eek:

Actually, things are not what the appear to be. That spectator area is at turn six, immediately beyond the bridge. Hence, the spectators pictured are shielded by a high earthen bridge abutment from the track. Further, the turn is to the left, so the cars are moving away from the fence. Hulme has just come out from under the bridge, which is a mere few feet behind him in the photo. One can also see a bit of the abutment in the right side of the photo. There never has been any trouble at that particular spot on the track.
Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 08 July 2011 - 14:30.

#108 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,435 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 15:00

Not sure what track this is filmed at, but this has to be the world's luckiest squirrel:

Many years ago I was a passenger in a friend's car when a cat pulled a similar stunt. I actually felt it hit the footwell and as he braked I was looking out of the back in time to see it jump up and continue on its way. Presumably thinking to itself "**** me! Only eight left!"

#109 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,140 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 23:12

As long as you don't BBQ them - they're poisonous. I've eaten two deer in the past year, though - one roadkill (didn't kill it myself), one died of natural causes in the winter. Waste not want not, but I'm just a poor country boy... ;) :)

tenderised venison!

#110 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,140 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 23:26

Road America, 1969. Denny Hulme and his McLaren M8B about to intersect with an unfortunate rabbit.

photo: Edward Deaux
Posted Image

Those open injector trumpets remind of a story I heard of a car hitting a bird, and the engine went off song. Driver killed the engine and was towed in. Upon removal of the head there was a bit of a birds head suck in the inlet valve which in turn had been helped up by the piston!.
Luckily replace one valve and clean out the injection. And raced the following day. The car ran airfilters after that. As all engines should.

#111 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,140 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 23:35

And there was the famous incident where Jason Bargwanna barely missed on in a pre-race warm-up lap coming out of Forrest Elbow...

Caught on TV, it's really a wonder it doesn't get more airplay.

Ray, the Greenies would have a field day if it was better known, the same as most of these incidents are 'hushed' up. The evil motorcar hitting an animal. Without being stunned first etc etc. Ban all motorsport, and with Bob Brown controlling the country that could happen.

#112 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,102 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:16

When F3 driver Jamie Spence was practising for the Madras Grand Prix at the Irungattu Kottai circuit in the early 1990's, he spun wildly into the long grass at the far side of the track. There were no guardrails, sand traps or run-off areas. There was some concern when he did not get out of the car, but when he finally re-appeared in the paddock – an area shaded from the sun by colourful drapes on wooden posts – he was unusually subdued. “I popped the belts, began to climb out, and saw a f****** great snake coming towards me,” he said. “So I decided to stay in the car.”

http://www.motorspor...cella...-prix’/

#113 Stinky

Stinky

• 105 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:47

Hullo All;
Over the years there has been quite a bit of wildlife on Mount Panorama.
Roos, (remember Jim Richard's near miss.)
Horses, snakes,goannas rabbits etc.
One of the flagpoints on Conrod (the Old flag 28 I think it was) had a large gumtree overhanging it.
Only worry was there was a pair of magpies used to nest in it. :rotfl:
Father magpie had a very sour disposition which used to cause the flaggies no end of grief!! :lol:
Another lot of wildlife on the circuit one year was a very "tired and emotional" spectator staggering down Conrod!!
We could not work out where he came from and the general opinion was he came out of one of the houses on the circuit.
Cheers.
Roger. :wave:

#114 jjordan

jjordan

• 49 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 14:06

One of the tracks we race karts at, Lake Garnett, is famous for turtles sunning themselves on the back straight in the morning practices. The topper was when two karts came across a snake , the first ran over the reptile and flipped it up with its rear tires, right into the lap of the following karter.

#115 gfastr

gfastr

• 35 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 00:05

For some reason several come to mind

1)Michael Roe bagged a woodchuck with the front of his CanAm car at Lime Rock Park CT. The carcass was embedded in the fiberglass nose when the car returned to the pits and legend had it that the critter was made into a hat for the Irishman

2)NASCAR stock cars and seagulls have had periodic encounters at Daytona International Speedway

3)I think it was John Bisignano who hit a deer at a Camel GT race, also at Lime Rock Park.

4)I got a close-up look at the underside of a deer while driving a Skip Barber Formula Dodge at Bridgehampton. Fortunately we both continued on our way without further contact :-/

#116 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,102 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:56

The Lotus Eleven of Cliff Allison and Keith Hall was forced to retire from the 1956 Le Mans 24 Hours after a collision with a dog.

#117 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 15:40

Not sure what track this is filmed at, but this has to be the world's luckiest squirrel:

Many years ago I was a passenger in a friend's car when a cat pulled a similar stunt. I actually felt it hit the footwell and as he braked I was looking out of the back in time to see it jump up and continue on its way. Presumably thinking to itself "**** me! Only eight left!"

That is Fontana in Southern California. Under the foot bridge on the back straight of the road course. Presumably the squirrel lives in Fontana (Fontucky as it is known) and in that case this may have been a failed attempt to end it all...Not exactly squirrel country out there!

#118 vale61

vale61

• 42 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 22:17

August 1972 during the test of the new Ferrari "Spazzaneve" a rabbit meets a naca ... no future for the rabbit and also the "Spazzaneve" had no long life.

Posted Image

Vale.