Photo

Nico Rosberg

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
997 replies to this topic

#801 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,004 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:09

Lol maybe the hardcore Hamilton fans will say that but probably not the press and media and neutral followers. In general Rosberg can prove himself. The hardcore Hamilton fans are already confident he will beat him by 3-6 tenths - same as Schumacher fans predicted years ago. But only the clock on the track tells us the truth. So a win-win situation for Rosberg and Mercedes.

Forget about any kind of objectivity when facing Lewis fanbase.

Really, I have nothing against Lewis fans (especially now) - some of them are wonderful people to have a conversation with. But prepare for a hard time next year in Ros vs Ham thread.

Edited by sofarapartguy, 28 September 2012 - 11:10.

Advertisement

#802 Lights

Lights

• 8,872 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:31

For Rosberg this is an excellent opportunity to prove his worth in F1. Teaming up with an elite driver like Hamilton will do good to his status. At the same time it's going to be tough for him and his fans because, well, Lewis is just incredibly quick, always.

#803 apoka

apoka

• 3,338 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:41

something that would be interesting to watch: if say, Rosberg beats Hamilton over the year, will he be elevated at last to the top, or will Hamilton be ranked down? I mean, it was pretty weird to see that when Raikkonen lost to Massa, it was proof that he is not a top driver, most said if Vettel would've lost to Webber, it would be proof that he is not a top driver, but when Hamilton lost to Button, Button suddenly got elevated and the holy top3 (Alo-Vet-Ham) got expanded to top4 with Button. who would Rosberg be? the new top driver, or the one who finally proved Hamilton's mediocrity?

I think Rosberg would be considered a top driver in that case. He is rated pretty highly already, but many still consider him unproven because of his team mates and because he never had a serious shot at the WDC. So if he does well in the next years with an established team mate, I don't see why he should not be considered a top driver.

But anyway, it's pure speculation since it depends on the circumstances, the performance of the car etc.

#804 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,409 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:44

Nico can win very much or lose very much depending on his performance against Lewis IMO.

I hope they will get an equal treatment at Mercedes.

If Rosberg manages to beat or at least match Hamilton, no one really can doubt he is a top driver for any longer and then if Mercedes will not give him a shot of becoming WDC, he will likely be given a chance at another strong team.

However, if Hamilton is able to dominate Rosberg, that will finally prove Nico is not a top F1 driver. What is worse, Lewis may typecast him as a mediocre driver who is only capable of being number 2 driver in a strong team. That would reduces Nico's chances of becoming a surprise WDC I.E. the situation when he gets a dominant car and weak team-mate, because he will not be considered as this who can lead the team properly and teams will be looking for other strong drivers to lead a team. This will reduce the Nico's chance of being paired with a weak team-mate in a promising team that could surprisingly make a dominant car. Sophisticated scenario but there is always a chance that something like this will happen. :stoned: Maybe not exactly the way I've described, but being dominated by Lewis would certainly complicate Rosberg's further career in F1.

#805 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 1,993 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:10

So who has to change their helmet design then?

#806 joshb

joshb

• 3,070 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:14

How did he fare vs Hamilton in karting? Weren't they teammates?

#807 Lights

Lights

• 8,872 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:16

So who has to change their helmet design then?

Ehm, good question. I guess neither, and we'll just have a tough time .

#808 Lamag

Lamag

• 919 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:52

The solution is the shark fin that Mercedes had tests at paul ricard some weeks ago, there is no need to change the helmet design.

#809 Zava

Zava

• 4,740 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:57

The solution is the shark fin that Mercedes had tests at paul ricard some weeks ago, there is no need to change the helmet design.

maybe this was the reason they thought about testing it. :p

#810 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,497 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:43

I am going to make a bold prediction for 2013: This thread will be much more active. You heard it here first.

:lol: :up:

Edited by Kingshark, 28 September 2012 - 18:43.

#811 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:45

Poor boy.

Mentally I think he has already lost, he's been trying to avoid Hamilton his whole career.

#812 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,497 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:49

Poor boy.

Mentally I think he has already lost, he's been trying to avoid Hamilton his whole career.

He drove with him in both F3 and karting, so what are you on to?

#813 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,822 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:49

can't wait for 2013 Melbourne, this is the exact stimulus that Nico needs for his career - and i think a lot of people are eager to find out how he fares against a TOP driver after all these years.

#814 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,128 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:50

How did he fare vs Hamilton in karting? Weren't they teammates?

Generally Hamilton was quicker.....

I rate Rosberg highly, and he's clearly up against the toughest challenge in his career, and most probably the toughest he'll ever face, sports-wise.
He cannot have any off-weekends next year, Hamilton's first with AMG Mercedes, if he wants to assert himself.

I see Rosberg as comparable to Button speed-wise.

#815 Kompressor

Kompressor

• 546 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:55

I respect both these drivers. :up: It's about time that Mercedes got serious about F1. Schumacher was just a public relations exercise. Rosberg needs a challenge. He's been out scoring Schumacher just like he did to Nakajima. :rotfl:

#816 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,556 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:55

The biggest problem Rosberg will face is that Lewis will be allowed to call the shots at Mercedes, just like Schumi was.

I don't expect him to beat Lewis, but he'll be spending another season in an unsettled environment where his own development as a driver is a very low priority. It's a good seat but a road to nowhere for him, just as it has been since he signed in 2010.

#817 JensonWDC

JensonWDC

• 349 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:04

His biggest strong point is\was his qualifying speed yet he got regulary outqualified this year which does not bode too well for next year.
He should be a match for Lewis on saturday but I don´t think he´s a real strong racer when things get tough on sunday.

#818 Lamag

Lamag

• 919 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:04

Generally Hamilton was quicker.....

Base on what? This is the final standing during the year that those guys were teammates.
Hamilton 28 points
Rosberg 27 points.

http://www.driverdb....dings/397-2001/

#819 jjcale

jjcale

• 6,735 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:15

Base on what? This is the final standing during the year that those guys were teammates.
Hamilton 28 points
Rosberg 27 points.

LOL ... they both moved up to Super A and had a tough time of it. In the previous year when they were also team mates LH beat him to become

European champion Formula A 2000.
World Cup Formula A champion 2000.

.... but you knew that didnt you?

Advertisement

#820 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,497 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:15

Hamilton 28 points
Rosberg 27 points.

Fair point.

Rosberg did beat Hamilton in Formula 3 Euro Series, although it was Nico's second season against Lewis' first.

#821 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,398 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:21

and the versus thread, has begun..... :lol:

Edited by goldenboy, 28 September 2012 - 19:23.

#822 Lamag

Lamag

• 919 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:22

LOL ... they both moved up to Super A and had a tough time of it. In the previous year when they were also team mates LH beat him to become

European champion Formula A 2000.
World Cup Formula A champion 2000.

.... but you knew that didnt you?

There is no standing available :(

Can you post the final standing that year with the points included please? Thanks
http://www.driverdb....dings/397-2000/

Fair point.

Rosberg did beat Hamilton in Formula 3 Euro Series, although it was Nico's second season against Lewis' first.

It doesn't matter both drivers won the GP2 Series at the first year, so the adaptation was not a handicap for Hamilton that year at F3 Euroseries.

#823 apoka

apoka

• 3,338 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 20:48

Didn't Rosberg actually have a clause in his contract, which states that he earns at least as much as his team mate?

#824 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,653 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 20:49

Fair point.

Lewis than won it in his second year :)

#825 Lamag

Lamag

• 919 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 21:33

Lewis than won it in his second year :)

Rosberg was racing for his father´s team, while during his second year Hamilton switch to the best team.

#826 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,497 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 22:26

and the versus thread, has begun..... :lol:

Speaking as someone who's supported Nico since 2006, I'm not looking forward to the versus thread at all. :(

#827 Zava

Zava

• 4,740 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 23:20

Speaking as someone who's supported Nico since 2006, I'm not looking forward to the versus thread at all. :(

yeah, Lewis vs Nico topis is definitely one to avoid. I'll hopefully have no less and no more than 2 posts there, 1 before the season predicting Nico to come out on top, and 1 at the end of the season saying 'told you so' :p

#828 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,119 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 23:58

I don't see what Nico has to fear, he had no problem crushing Schumacher three years in a row, he is now fully accustomed to a big headed over rated teammate. I see next year being much like this year for Mr Clean Nico. He will be his smooth and clean self collecting points podiums and the odd win just as he has done this season. Hamilton will be as he has always been, ultra quick with flashes of uber brilliance on the one hand and unfocused and over emotional disasters on the other, perhaps inconsistent is the word that best applies to Lewis Hamilton. Time will tell, my money is on Rosberg to out point Hamilton.

#829 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,497 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 00:38

I'd like to make a clarrification, I'm not afraid for Nico, I think he'll do just fine against Lewis and will surprise a few people. Instead, I'm afraid that Hamilton fans will start a vendetta against him just like they've done against Whitmarsh/Button before.

#830 Kompressor

Kompressor

• 546 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 00:45

From what Brawn was saying, it seems that they are looking to Hamilton to tailor the new car. Rosberg has had three years of input. The team may be looking for new input.

#831 KavB

KavB

• 1,020 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 00:46

I think Rosberg is equally as good as Button so I'm expecting him to give him a hard time. Of course I wouldn't have said this before Button joined McLaren. I do think Lewis will come out on top but he's not going to dominate him like he did with Heikki.

I'm quite excited to see this rivalry. Rosberg has been forgotten recently, and people still aren't sure what he really is capable of but this will be his ultimate test. As for Lewis, if he doesn't beat Nico then his reputation will drop like Kimi's did in 2008.

#832 Kompressor

Kompressor

• 546 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:13

I think Rosberg is equally as good as Button so I'm expecting him to give him a hard time. Of course I wouldn't have said this before Button joined McLaren. I do think Lewis will come out on top but he's not going to dominate him like he did with Heikki.

I'm quite excited to see this rivalry. Rosberg has been forgotten recently, and people still aren't sure what he really is capable of but this will be his ultimate test. As for Lewis, if he doesn't beat Nico then his reputation will drop like Kimi's did in 2008.

The car has to be competitive. When the Mercedes was at it's best, Rosberg was able to put it on the podium.

#833 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,497 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:25

Rosberg took 3 podiums in 2010 in what was the 4th-5th best car and occasionally even worse. He'll do just fine against Lewis.

#834 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,398 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:42

the more I think about it the more I think this is a good thing for nico. At some stage he was going to have to take on one of these guys, at least he got to do it in a team he is at home in (not to mention the possible advantage of being german in merc team). Time is just right for nico, he really was being forgotten. Even despite winning a race!

Edited by goldenboy, 29 September 2012 - 01:43.

#835 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,653 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:42

Rosberg took 3 podiums in 2010 in what was the 4th-5th best car and occasionally even worse. He'll do just fine against Lewis.

I also think he'll manage just fine against Lewis, but correct me if i'm wrong but weren't all of his podiums the result of wet weather conditions either affecting quali or the race and all at the beginning of the season (Aus, Mal Chi)?

#836 LH08WDC

LH08WDC

• 540 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:52

I also think he'll manage just fine against Lewis, but correct me if i'm wrong but weren't all of his podiums the result of wet weather conditions either affecting quali or the race and all at the beginning of the season (Aus, Mal Chi)?

Got one at Silverstone in the dry. Didn't get one in Australia.

#837 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,653 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:57

Got one at Silverstone in the dry. Didn't get one in Australia.

Yes your right thanks, forget he also pitted again in Aus.

#838 Sith

Sith

• 1,306 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:53

Nico has been avoiding Lewis his whole career.. ( on the advice of Keke...) Nico's career is about to come to an abrupt end.. This will be his last contract in a top team....

#839 Kyo

Kyo

• 749 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:35

We finally gonna see how good/bad Nico really is. I have the impression that he is at least as good as Button.

Advertisement

#840 meddo

meddo

• 919 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:45

Nico has been avoiding Lewis his whole career.. ( on the advice of Keke...) Nico's career is about to come to an abrupt end.. This will be his last contract in a top team....

Nah, Nico will be just fine. Actually, this pairing could really be the exact one Ross described. Nico is not political, he is really fast (above Button level), and he won¨t whinge TDG into submission. Both will benefit from that relationship.

#841 apoka

apoka

• 3,338 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:47

... because he will stay at Merc for at least 5 more years until the end of his career and luckily retire with 10+ wins and a WDC to his name. Is that what you wanted to say? :p

#842 Raifosa

Raifosa

• 468 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:14

Since we are predicting stuff, my prediction is that all of the sudden, the number of JB fans will decrease and new members will appear that will claim to have been Nico fans since his karting days. They will pop up when Nico beats Lewis and they will constantly remind us how much Lewis is overrated and basically that he sucks. And of course you can count on the presence of some of the oldies that frequent any thread with LH in the title. The versus thread will be as fun as the JB vs LH one. Same s*** different team mate.

On topic, I like Nico and even if he beats Lewis I don't think that will change except that I'll probably respect him even more.

#843 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:20

If I was Rosberg I would be trying hard to get out of my contract and talking to Ferrari, at least being no2 at Ferrari would give him a decent car.

#844 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:47

Since we are predicting stuff, my prediction is that all of the sudden, the number of JB fans will decrease and new members will appear that will claim to have been Nico fans since his karting days. They will pop up when Nico beats Lewis and they will constantly remind us how much Lewis is overrated and basically that he sucks. And of course you can count on the presence of some of the oldies that frequent any thread with LH in the title. The versus thread will be as fun as the JB vs LH one. Same s*** different team mate.

On topic, I like Nico and even if he beats Lewis I don't think that will change except that I'll probably respect him even more.

Lewis vs Rosberg would be the busiest interteam mate thread. Sadly Ferrari denied us the chance of having Alonso vs Perez, that would have been huge as well.

#845 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:10

Lewis vs Rosberg would be the busiest interteam mate thread. Sadly Ferrari denied us the chance of having Alonso vs Perez, that would have been huge as well.

You mean only Lewis fans there? Maybe there is 2-3 Nico fans.

#846 BRG

BRG

• 11,066 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:00

If I was Rosberg I would be trying hard to get out of my contract and talking to Ferrari, at least being no2 at Ferrari would give him a decent car.

And zero chance of being allowed to ever win anything, especially against Alonso who always seems to get into the good points no matter what. Nico will do better against Hamilton as there will be more times when Lewis has screwed up and Nico will be allowed to try to do well. But he simply isn't as good as either Fernando or Lewis, so he is set to be a No 2 whether he stays or goes. Of course, he could go to Red Bull in 2014 but then he would be No 2 to Vettel (who will still be there) so basically he is stuffed.

#847 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:09

I think Nico will surprise many here next year. Button is not better/faster than him. Until now Lewis was faster because he have faster car, with equal car I am not sure this the case.

#848 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,220 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:44

I think Nico will surprise many here next year. Button is not better/faster than him. Until now Lewis was faster because he have faster car, with equal car I am not sure this the case.

The upside for Nico is the same as it was for Button in 2010. He will get great credit for even being close to Lewis. This is different to the partnership with Schumacher, where the age issue complicated any comparisons. We will see, for once and for all, how good he really is.

#849 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,023 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:50

I find some Lewis fans on here can be like Lewis himself, they think it always about them.

#850 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,023 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:57

The upside for Nico is the same as it was for Button in 2010. He will get great credit for even being close to Lewis. This is different to the partnership with Schumacher, where the age issue complicated any comparisons. We will see, for once and for all, how good he really is.

:up: Thats what i'm really looking forward too. Well finally have a true barometer for how good (or bad) Nico is, he as always look like a top driver but his teammates have all had caveats.

Can't make a fair comparison with Webber as it was his first season, Wurz was probably past his best and appeared to lack commitment with pulling out early, Kazuki wasn't as bad as it looks on the surface but he never showed much and was it the "real" shumi of his first career? Really looking forward to Nico Vs Lewis, (maybe not the thread on here though!)

So much to look forward to next season, up and down the grid!