Nico Rosberg

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
997 replies to this topic

#101 bern@rd

bern@rd

• 604 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 18:54

Originally posted by petri

Wow, man you've got a problem there.. You sound so bitter that I really feel sorry for you.

You mistake bitter for sadness. Kimi is without a doubt one of the greatest F1 drivers of the past few decades, and what do the people do? It's unbelievable to say the least. :(

Advertisement

#102 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 19:01

I've just added this to the Piquet thread, but it's equally, if not more, applicable here.

A pal of mine told me today of a conversation a mutual friend of ours had with a senior member of the Willies management recently.

Mutual friend asked man from Willies what the difference was - if any - between Piquet and Rosberg the youngers.

After a short pause came the reply "Nico doesn't realise how good he really is..."

#103 petri

petri

• 1,618 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:17

Originally posted by bern@rd

You mistake bitter for sadness. Kimi is without a doubt one of the greatest F1 drivers of the past few decades, and what do the people do? It's unbelievable to say the least. :(

I do agree with you with this! But the tabloids are the same everywhere. What finnish yellow press are doing is that they are (mostly) copying british and german tabloids (like in the last case). To say that this is peticularly finnish phenomenom is a bit unfair to me. Funny though that everyone seem to hate trash journalism but still it is selling extremely well! ;)

#104 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:50

Originally posted by bern@rd

I'm fine with that, I just find it annoying how people are trying to find the smallest evidence of how finnish he is and are then bickering here about it. Nationality doesn't mean anything, no driver is good because of his nationality, nor does he owe anything to it. Nico understands this.

And this happened to coincide with the rumours of Kimi planning to leave finland after the latest stories about him in the finnish "quality" press.

And at the time of his success there was the same kind of shit talk and jealousy around about keke that is now happening with Kimi in finland. And my views are not just foreign stereotypes, I have lived in finland for a number of years now. You just cannot understand how much shit Kimi takes from the press and some of the people here. You would think people would be proud of him but no... unfortunately finns are a pretty jealous bunch. Though there are exceptions, mostly in the younger generation.

Well that's a fair explanation and makes your earlier comment more understandable. Indeed Finns are a jealous bunch regarding the success of others. It is our "national sin" in a way, but we do acknowledge it and talk about it quite often in fact, so it isn't like we pretend to be holier-than-thou. :)

#105 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:52

Originally posted by Twin Window

After a short pause came the reply "Nico doesn't realise how good he really is..."

That can be interpreted in a good way and a bad way. I'm inclined to interpret in a good way - i.e. that Nico is better than he realizes, rather than worse. :)

#106 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:08

Correct!

Now you can work out the implication in the remark re Piquet...

#107 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,063 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 21:10

Nico after his last GP2 race:

"I drove this race like a finn, it was maximum attack from beginning to end."

About future F1 licence he tells that being German will help him to F1-level and continues:
"From German comes RTL-tv, Schumacher and lots of visibility, it is big help for rising driver"

So I dont think there is question anymore what nationality he will use in coming years. Its cold business.

#108 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,063 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 22:45

Latest auto motor und sport:

Sam Michael(poor translation)

"We dont need anymore evidence how strong Nico is in combat, that he showed everybody in GP2"

"I'm most fascinated by, that Nico in his great giftedness doesnt succeed only by his instinct ability"

"We are most impressed how immensely analytic and systematic Nico is in his work."

#109 fumes

fumes

• 358 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 23:08

He's European

#110 karlth

karlth

• 16,258 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 23:18

Originally posted by jokuvaan
Latest auto motor und sport:

Sam Michael(poor translation)

"We dont need anymore evidence how strong Nico is in combat, that he showed everybody in GP2"

"I'm most fascinated by, that Nico in his great giftedness doesnt succeed only by his instinct ability"

"We are most impressed how immensely analytic and systematic Nico is in his work."

Oops.

Not a good sign.

Future top driver: We were extremely impressed with his speed.
Future test driver: We were extremely impressed with his analysis.

#111 Pumpkin

Pumpkin

• 369 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:37

According to everyones favourite website ;) Nico to be confirmed during the weekend as the 2nd race driver.

#112 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,063 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:21

MTV3 source tells that Nico has been called into China, its unclear why.
(spare driver, race driver, just hang-around)

#113 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:26

MTV3 source tells that Nico has been called into China, its unclear why.
(spare driver, race driver, just hang-around)

The report says (propably) spare driver.

#114 Dsilence

Dsilence

• 1,658 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:51

According to todays ilta-sanomat: http://www.iltasanom...eiluuutiset.htm

Nico has been given a F1-seat at Williams for next year, and it's excpected that Williams officially announce it next week.

#115 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,736 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:14

Jamie Green should have changed his surname to Prost.

#116 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:19

I didn't see another thread on this so...

Nico Rosberg confirmed by Williams for a F1 drive in 2006.

:clap: :cool: :clap: :cool: :clap: :cool: :clap:

Reported by Finnish media (YLE, MTV3, just saw Nico and Frank on TV confirming this, so this is for real.)

#117 Dsilence

Dsilence

• 1,658 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:47

Nice!!! :clap:

(interresting that iltasanomat knew this already 3 weeks ago)

#118 Czesc

Czesc

• 959 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:07

Way to go Nico :clap:

So next year we'll have 1,5 Finns on the grid and hopefully in 2007 it will be 2,5. I want to see an (almost) all-Finnish podium some day. With Kimi in Mac (or Ferrari), Nico in Williams and Heikki in Renault it wouldn't even be that much of a surprise.

#119 clipper

clipper

• 819 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:30

So a report on our local australian news too, so this must have been done a while back with the an embargo put on the announcement.

Advertisement

#120 tidytracks

tidytracks

• 1,569 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:58

And now the official announcement is up on autosport...

:clap: well done Nico

#121 AntiWeasel

AntiWeasel

• 60 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:24

Yeah Good Luck but he will never cultivate a moustache as impressive as his old man. :p

#122 Tubbs

Tubbs

• 854 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:00

Originally posted by Czesc
So next year we'll have 1,5 Finns on the grid and hopefully in 2007 it will be 2,5.

I think it's a lot less. Nico himself has said (F1-Total interview a while ago) he feels more like a German than a Finn and he races under German licence. IMHO you need more to be a Finn than a Finnish passport. If you have never lived in the country, rarely visit there and can't speak a word of the language you are not very much a Finn at all.

#123 Czesc

Czesc

• 959 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:09

Originally posted by Tubbs
I think it's a lot less.

Well I think Nico is exactly 0,5 Finn because his father is Finnish. Actually I think the whole nationality discussion is a waste of time in this case, as Nico isn't clearly anything else than European. But I will cheer for the European Rosberg who has a Finnish WDC daddy.

#124 tidytracks

tidytracks

• 1,569 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:13

Originally posted by Czesc
Way to go Nico :clap:

So next year we'll have 1,5 Finns on the grid and hopefully in 2007 it will be 2,5. I want to see an (almost) all-Finnish podium some day. With Kimi in Mac (or Ferrari), Nico in Williams and Heikki in Renault it wouldn't even be that much of a surprise.

Who says it won't be 2.5 in 2006? Last thing I leard, Heikki was still in talks with BMW :stoned:

#125 Speed_A

Speed_A

• 2,204 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:29

I think it's a lot less. Nico himself has said (F1-Total interview a while ago) he feels more like a German than a Finn and he races under German licence. IMHO you need more to be a Finn than a Finnish passport. If you have never lived in the country, rarely visit there and can't speak a word of the language you are not very much a Finn at all.

I can't belive that it is possible in 21st century for people to still think that it's possible to be a Finn, an American or an Indonesian, for example. We are all the same and a passport is only a necessary evil. Nations don't exist except in the minds of the narrow-minded people.

#126 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,833 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:34

Although it's tough to sell that to the immigration folks at the border.

#127 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,848 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:37

Originally posted by Speed_A
I can't belive that it is possible in 21st century for people to still think that it's possible to be a Finn, an American or an Indonesian, for example. We are all the same and a passport is only a necessary evil. Nations don't exist except in the minds of the narrow-minded people.

I think it is. Whether it should matter is a completely different debate.

#128 tidytracks

tidytracks

• 1,569 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:45

Says the resident anarchist :rotfl:

#129 petri

petri

• 1,618 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:47

I Nations don't exist except in the minds of the narrow-minded people.

..and Tubbs said: "Nico himself has said (F1-Total interview a while ago) he feels more like a German than a Finn and he races under German licence."

Does it make Nico a narrow-minded person?

#130 Speed_A

Speed_A

• 2,204 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:48

Originally posted by petri

..and Tubbs said: "Nico himself has said (F1-Total interview a while ago) he feels more like a German than a Finn and he races under German licence."

Does it make Nico a narrow-minded person?

Yes, along with 99% of mankind.

I say good luck to Nico Rosberg as a human being and a Formula 1 driver!

#131 wati

wati

• 1,091 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 13:04

Great news! He can't do worse than Antonio.

#132 Cosmograph

Cosmograph

• 1,082 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 13:23

Originally posted by tidytracks

Who says it won't be 2.5 in 2006? Last thing I leard, Heikki was still in talks with BMW :stoned:

Hearing voices again are you :rolleyes:

#133 tidytracks

tidytracks

• 1,569 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 13:47

Originally posted by Cosmograph

Hearing voices again are you :rolleyes:

Indeed... but not imaginary ones ;)

#134 Arrow

Arrow

• 9,190 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 13:52

He has finnish blood doesnt he? Hes genetically a finn isnt he? So hes a finn regardless of where he lives.

#135 tidytracks

tidytracks

• 1,569 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 14:05

Originally posted by Arrow

He has finnish blood doesnt he? Hes genetically a finn isnt he? So hes a finn regardless of where he lives.

:mad: Can we please not do this AGAIN?

#136 Speed_A

Speed_A

• 2,204 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 14:19

Originally posted by Arrow

There's no such thing as finnish blood. Nationality is not written in genes.

#137 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 14:24

i can already foresee the headlines.

-portuguese possible driver rosberg has won todays grand prix.
-european rosberg wins f1 championship.
-monegasq rosberg achives pole for tomorow gp.
-german rosberg fails to finish us gp.
-finish rosberg loses wc to brasilian massa.

#138 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 15:01

Yes, along with 99% of mankind.

Mankind! That's just silly human prejudice! Species don't exist, we're all living beings! Anyone who says otherwise is only being narrow-minded!

Besides, wouldn't the correct expression be humankind??

:drunk:

#139 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 15:04

Originally posted by lukywill
i can already foresee the headlines.

-portuguese possible driver rosberg has won todays grand prix.
-european rosberg wins f1 championship.
-monegasq rosberg achives pole for tomorow gp.
-german rosberg fails to finish us gp.
-finish rosberg loses wc to brasilian massa.

:up: Convenient. I'm sure the Swedes will call him a Swede if he's any good. If not, then they'll call him a Finn! :D ;)

Advertisement

#140 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,747 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 15:08

We might as well give up on cheering for our national soccer team (or whatever sport on international level).

#141 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,848 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 15:10

Most sensible thing that's been said in this thread...

#142 boafan

boafan

• 70 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 15:12

cool. I was suprised to. Do you guys think it is because fisichella decided to stay with renault at the last second, on f1racing he said he was just about to sign with williams but then flavio gave him a better contract. So williams went for nico instead? It is a bit of a gamble to have picked him over all the other drivers that are available right now with more experience, but next year isn't really a big deal for williams is it :rolleyes:

-there no such thing as finnish blood? I have little knowledge regarding scandanavian history. Are people genetically related in all the countries there? so swedes, finns, norwegians, are all same blood but different nationality?

#143 Tubbs

Tubbs

• 854 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 15:14

Originally posted by HSJ

Mankind! That's just silly human prejudice! Species don't exist, we're all living beings! Anyone who says otherwise is only being narrow-minded!

Besides, wouldn't the correct expression be humankind??

Oh the irony! :lol: :up:

#144 checkonetwo

checkonetwo

• 1,164 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 15:42

congratulations to nico :up:

i was and still am a huge fan of his father, so for a start he´ll have all my sympathy. i just hope for mark that this kid won´t end his f1 career...

#145 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,540 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 16:00

Yeah. People have come and gone longer or shorter distances through centuries. It's not like nations are of a specific human race. In fact I think culture language location is bigger connecting thing than the exact race. We people most, particularly in western countries are of very mixed races.

#146 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,540 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 16:05

Nico is european. That's enough to be his blind nationalistic supporter :drunk:

#147 fillern

fillern

• 3,113 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 16:06

He has a german mother and a finnish dad. That makes him 50% of both.

HHF has a german dad and a spanish mother. That also makes him 50% of both.

I have a german mother and norwegian dad, so I know how it is to be a little of both. For me personally I like to think it made me more of a european than either german or norwegian. I've lived in both countries for a considerable time to feel home in both as I speak both languages fluently. My passport is german though.

HHF he has lived almost all of his life in germany except for some years were he lived in Spain with his mother, and he said that the spanish GP was sort of a home GP for him.

When it comes to Nico he is not really associated with Finland other than the 50% his father contributed.

When I see Nico, hear him talk I see a german driver with the only thing being finnish is the name of his father.

That is because he is more german associated than his finnish side. But he has one great advantage. He can move to Helsinki and learn the language and hang out with all the georgeous finnish babes and become a finn at heart, do sauna, drink vodka and go apeshit when he does. (Sorry, typical stereotype there... ) :) But until that happens I think Nico is and will be german. And acutally more german that HHF ever was.

Or is it something chauvinistical about making the name Rosberg count more than that of his mother? How about the kids of Agassi and Graf? I think Graf achieved more in Tennis on the female side than Agassi did on the male side... :drunk:

What would be the situation if it could be proven that the genes of Nico's mother contributed more to Nico's speed than the genes of Keke? :drunk: :stoned: :drunk:

#148 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 16:16

Nico is european. That's enough to be his blind nationalistic supporter

Then why aren´t all the people from USA cheering for American drivers - like Barrichello, Massa, etc?

#149 Tubbs

Tubbs

• 854 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 16:31

Originally posted by Spunout

Then why aren´t all the people from USA cheering for American drivers - like Barrichello, Massa, etc?

They are so narrow-minded. :lol:

#150 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,848 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 16:46

Originally posted by Spunout

Because Massa and Barrichello are from Brazil.