Nico Rosberg

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
997 replies to this topic

#201 baddog

baddog

• 23,334 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 17:24

Originally posted by ensign14
In which case Baja California is not in North America and India is in Australasia...

pretty much.

Shaun

Advertisement

#202 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 17:59

Please don't suggest I'm American.

It wasn´t my intention...

I do hope you were taught at school, not teached.

Thanks for correction. It seems I slept during English lessons :D

I just had to point out on that video link to the Americans standing up for themselves by saying that we were only able to see the video thanks to Americans inventing computers and the web. Pah! They're both English inventions. And I took some joy from pointing out that America was too! Don't jump on my back on that one, it's true, but jestful!

And the "freedom" rhetorics were copied from the French ;)

#203 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 18:08

I could understand a model having eurasia.. but not one with one america. nico rosberg of course is eurasian

Or Laurasian.

Hmm...now that I think of it: forget what I said, that would mean in addition of Germans and Swedes, you guys from US could claim him as your own, too ;)

Gotta ask, what´s the current verdict? 63,97933% German?

#204 petri

petri

• 1,618 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 19:44

Originally posted by bern@rd

His father is half finnish so Nico is 1/4 finnish.

Keke is half finnish because his parents were working in Sweden when he was born?

#205 Mr. Duck

Mr. Duck

• 121 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 19:57

Nico's head, including tongue, is German. That 's why he doesn't speak finnish. However, other parts of the body are finnish.

#206 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 20:08

Nico's head, including tongue, is German. That 's why he doesn't speak finnish. However, other parts of the body are finnish.

Good. If he decides to have Keke-style mustache in the future, that part of his body will be German.

#207 petri

petri

• 1,618 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 20:09

Originally posted by Mr. Duck

That seem to be enough.
Remeber that legendary conversation between Mika H and Senna? MH beated Ayrton at the quali and A. asked" How did you do it??"

MH: "With my balls Ayrton, balls".
:lol: :cool:

#208 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,055 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 20:19

Finland and Germany are actually the same country. Just type "Finland" and you'll find it says "Germany". [/gogol]

#209 HP

HP

• 14,214 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:29

Originally posted by Spunout

Good. If he decides to have Keke-style mustache in the future, that part of his body will be German.

Nah it's simple, if Nico wins, he will be a Finn in Finland and a German in Germany. If not he's from anopther place ;)

Anyhow I just hope he's doing well in F1.

#210 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,497 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:37

He is german but his driving ability is finnish (if he does well) :lol:

#211 TailG

TailG

• 926 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 15:13

He's finnish when he's winning and german when he's not winning :wave:

#212 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,277 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 15:21

Finland and Germany are actually the same country. Just type "Finland" and you'll find it says "Germany". [/gogol]

Reminds me of when you type:
French military victories
into Google, and press I'm Feeling Lucky.

If you don't know what it does, do it. Unless you're French - it may upset you.

#213 Menace

Menace

• 12,287 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 19:59

Leave it to Pizzonia to spill the beans... :rolleyes:

Pizzonia: Rosberg hasn't been quick

The irony of his comments, when in the same article it says this:

During two days of testing at Monza, in August, the German was about half a second slower than Heidfeld and Webber. At Silverstone, in mid-September, Rosberg was on the pace with Pizzonia - the German's fastest lap just a fraction of a second faster than Pizzonia's.

:lol:

#214 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,289 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 20:01

Indeed Pizzonia is just very frustrated because he still tought he would have a chance for a racing seat at williams.. :rotfl:

#215 Pumpkin

Pumpkin

• 369 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:58

Pizzonia would have been better served saying nothing at all. This is the same guy who crapped on about Webber and his magical car at Jaguar.
I will tell you one thing though I would have been happier if Pizzonia got the second seat this year for continuities sake. If Nico had been third driver for a year he would be better prepared the following season to dole out some serious damage on his teamate. As it stands I think he will look a tad second rate.

#216 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,636 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 05:33

In which case Baja California is not in North America and India is in Australasia...

India is in the Indian subcontinent. there is a reason why they call it that.

#217 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,880 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:25

Pizzonia :lol: Why did he have to open his mouth - thats rather lame considering Rosberg beat his time - wow talk about foot in mouth disease!!!

#218 GhostR

GhostR

• 2,629 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:26

Originally posted by skinnylizard
India is in the Indian subcontinent. there is a reason why they call it that.

Actually, talk to a geologist and you'll be told that India is on the same continental plate as Australia. The India-Australia plate ramming up against the Euro-Asia plates is why the Himalayas exist.

Geographers have several different schemes for identifying the "continents." Geologists, on the other hand, pretty much stick to one: continents as defined by the large continental plates.

*takes off Geology and Geography degree hat and puts on on-topic hat*

I'm looking forward to seeing what Nico can do next year. He had a slowish start in GP2 this year, and chased down Kovalainen's points lead with some very strong drives. He finished off the season looking to be the best of the GP2 crop in my opinion. He's already had F1 testing experience ... it would probably have been better for him to be the third driver next year, but with Pizzonia throwing away any credibility he had left with his mostly-dismal drives replacing NH (drives that confirmed that Webber beating him at Jaguar was more about the drivers and less about the cars) Williams probably felt Nico represented their best option for #2. And, of course, it appears they need the money from a paying third driver.

#219 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 20:32

Originally posted by Pumpkin
Pizzonia would have been better served saying nothing at all. This is the same guy who crapped on about Webber and his magical car at Jaguar.
I will tell you one thing though I would have been happier if Pizzonia got the second seat this year for continuities sake. If Nico had been third driver for a year he would be better prepared the following season to dole out some serious damage on his teamate. As it stands I think he will look a tad second rate.

You're probably right. Nico will have to grow up real fast.

Advertisement

#220 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 20:34

Originally posted by Menace
Leave it to Pizzonia to spill the beans... :rolleyes:

Pizzonia: Rosberg hasn't been quick

The irony of his comments, when in the same article it says this:

:lol:

I think this is really crystal clear: Pizzonia is simply saying, in a back-handed way, that he is a slow driver. I believe him! :D

#221 TT6

TT6

• 3,558 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:10

Originally posted by Pumpkin
I would have been happier if Pizzonia got the second seat this year for continuities sake.

I don't know about continuity: Pizzonia drove a few odd races when Heidfeld didn't - and his performances were nothing to write home about. I see more continuity if Pizzonia keeps on doing what he's destined to, to be a Williams test driver.

#222 Pumpkin

Pumpkin

• 369 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 15:47

Originally posted by TT6

I don't know about continuity: Pizzonia drove a few odd races when Heidfeld didn't - and his performances were nothing to write home about. I see more continuity if Pizzonia keeps on doing what he's destined to, to be a Williams test driver.

Either way you are right of course. Perhaps I am a tad upset that Pizzonia did not get the race drive. He was led on a bit and to be told at the last minute no is a bit of a hard pill to swallow regarding this years driver shenanigans (far from a fan of his btw)
I would at least like Pizzonia to stay on as tester, hopefully Frank uses Pizzonia's experience and not some 'insert obscure company as sponsor' driver.
When little Schu and Monty left Gene should have been held on to at all costs :mad:
Considering the switch to new tyres and engine I hope he does stay on as Williams tester or preparer of Mark Webber's sandwiches for lunchtime. The former is a much better option.

#223 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,059 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 13:40

Turun Sanomat:
Keke Rosberg:

"Fact is that Nico has both finnish and german passport, anobody can say anything but Nico is citizen of Finland, aint he finn then? I dont understand why it should be even talked"

"Problem is there that situation should be seen as neutral. Nico has two passports and both are surely equally important for him. Either one has to be selected for when you do these things, then other one suffers, if suffers. We finnish already have Kimi, so it cant hurt that much if Nico drives as German"

Turun Sanomat says that finns dont like lack of finnish language and Germans dont like his last name.

#224 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,059 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 21:44

Nico tells in MTV3 interview that in the future he might represent Finland in F1. But its not going to happen in the near future.

#225 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:40

Why are the Finns so passionate about his nationality?

If he hasn't ever lived in Finland then he hasn't exactly betrayed the country.

I wish him luck in '06 though.

#226 kismet

kismet

• 6,997 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:18

Not all of us. :wave:

#227 Corners

Corners

• 1,454 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 20:06

A family member of mine was born in London has an Italian mother a Welsh father but has been brought up in the USA as an American citizen. To me he's an American but if he so wished I suppose he could choose. I think its all a bit silly where you're brought up is where you should represent as far as I'm concerned.
Why can't Nico be represented as a Finnish-German what's the difference between that and DC putting the Scottish flag on his helmet or Asturius on Alonso's ? And how about the French-Canadian Villeneuve ??
Nico Rosberg is a Finnish-German ...simple as that. His immediate relatives nationalities put together. Personally they should all be classed as humans its only the good old human natural us-and-them scenario that causes wars that's brought about the discussion in the first place.

#228 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 20:12

Originally posted by Corners
A family member of mine was born in London has an Italian mother a Welsh father but has been brought up in the USA as an American citizen. To me he's an American but if he so wished I suppose he could choose. I think its all a bit silly where you're brought up is where you should represent as far as I'm concerned.
Why can't Nico be represented as a Finnish-German what's the difference between that and DC putting the Scottish flag on his helmet or Asturius on Alonso's ? And how about the French-Canadian Villeneuve ??
Nico Rosberg is a Finnish-German ...simple as that. His immediate relatives nationalities put together. Personally they should all be classed as humans its only the good old human natural us-and-them scenario that causes wars that's brought about the discussion in the first place.

Because Quebec is part of Canada, Scotland is part of the UK, and Asturias is part of Spain?

#229 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 20:30

And Keke was born in Sweden. So should Nico race as a Swedish-Finnish-German? :drunk:

#230 Menace

Menace

• 12,287 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 20:36

This is ridiculous, read what Keke says. He has two passports, hence he is a citizen of both countries.

#231 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 20:38

He's running a German flag on his driver's suit. Case closed I reckon.

#232 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,497 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 20:53

Originally posted by zac510
Why are the Finns so passionate about his nationality?

If he hasn't ever lived in Finland then he hasn't exactly betrayed the country.

I wish him luck in '06 though.

I dunno. But the finnish media acts like he is our own boy. For me he isn't finnish guy despite half of his genes is from finland. Only his father is finn and that's not enough to make him a finn. He never lived in finland, he propably doesn't have many finnish habits (except driving talent ;)), he cant speak finnish ...

Nationality is not all about genetics at all. If you randompick five finnish men and five german men, it's likely that the genetical differences between the finnish men is larger than the average genetical difference between groups of these finns and germans.

#233 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 20:56

Formula 1 drivers, all sportsmen, and really all great achievers; have more in common with each other than they do with the people who hold the same nationality as them. I yearn for a day when people abandon the insecurities of passport infatuation.

#234 Corners

Corners

• 1,454 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 20:57

Originally posted by senna da silva

And Keke was born in Sweden. So should Nico race as a Swedish-Finnish-German? :drunk:

No, like I said Keke is Finnish and his mother is German. French-Canadian same difference as German-Finnish. Aren't there any leaders on here or are you just all followers of the done thing ? Don't wait for justification of a few hundred others, speak up don't be afriad ! Dual nationalities...nothing wrong with that.

#235 Earthling

Earthling

• 3,483 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 21:00

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Formula 1 drivers, all sportsmen, and really all great achievers; have more in common with each other than they do with the people who hold the same nationality as them. I yearn for a day when people abandon the insecurities of passport infatuation.

Why do u think i use this nick of mine?

#236 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,169 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 21:01

Originally posted by jokuvaan
Turun Sanomat says that finns dont like lack of finnish language and Germans dont like his last name.

Nothing unusual about a name like Xxxberg in Germany, the phone books are full of them.

#237 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 21:12

No, like I said Keke is Finnish and his mother is German. French-Canadian same difference as German-Finnish. Aren't there any leaders on here or are you just all followers of the done thing ? Don't wait for justification of a few hundred others, speak up don't be afriad ! Dual nationalities...nothing wrong with that.

French-Canadian means something completely different. French referring to the person's language of choice not nationality.

How about citizen of the world.

#238 Menace

Menace

• 12,287 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 21:14

Dual nationalities...nothing wrong with that.

:wave:

I have a friend whos mother is from Peru, father is Swiss, and he was born in U.S.

He considers himself "Swiss", but also recognizes his multicultural background and can speak all of the languages.

In fact, although illegally, he holds a U.S., Swiss and Peruvian passports... and uses U.S. passport when going to U.S., Swiss when in Europe (he works/studys in Italy right now), and Peru when in South America.

I am going to have a dual citizenships too. Finnish (which allows me to work/study anywhere in EU), and eventually U.S. to make things easier on this side of the pond.

#239 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,059 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 21:37

Its not soup yet, but it will be total soup when he changes back to finnish licence after securing his status in F1.
Oh the great confusion, because F1 public cant cope dual thing, just like people cant cope that some car engine is global design, it has to have one nationality, one origin.

Advertisement

#240 Tubbs

Tubbs

• 854 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 22:15

Originally posted by jokuvaan
Its not soup yet, but it will be total soup when he changes back to finnish licence after securing his status in F1.

That's the main problem. I get the impression that this whole thing for Nico is just about which flag happens to have more marketing opportunities. For him it's undoubtedly better to drive under the German flag at this point in his career. However as he has decided that Finnish licence is not "worthy" now I hope he will not change to that in the future even if he has the chance.

#241 fumes

fumes

• 358 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 22:19

[B] French-Canadian same difference as German-Finnish./B]

Wow, thanks for that insight. Here I am, a Canadian, thinking that French-Canadians are French-speaking Canadians, primarily but not exclusively living in the province of Quebec. I never realized that they actually carried French passports. Zut alors!

#242 fumes

fumes

• 358 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 22:32

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

There's another thread about the death of F1 due to it being turned into a spec series. Why exactly is it wrong to support a driver because he's Brazilian or Finnish or German, but it's OK to support him because he drives a Ferrari, a Williams, or a McLaren? Insecurities of team infatuation? You yearn for a day when there are no manufacturers, no teams, just drivers?

#243 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,059 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 22:49

"I hope he will not change to that in the future even if he has the chance."

I didnt translate that MTV3 story basicly at all, it would have had errors because of eng->fin->eng
BUT anyway one part of it goes roughly:
"perhaps I would like to represent Finland, because it involves tradition, well see, but its not going to happen in the near future"

I think change is inevitable in the long run and F1-media should wake up now and stop making portrait of 100% German guy. Pressure will be of course enormous in German where unlike Finland is no talk about dual citizenship. He is next MS there, and what would people think if MS would change is licence to....Norway or something?

#244 SkorbiF1

SkorbiF1

• 1,208 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:25

How can this thread still be about his nationality?

The man has two of them. :confused: That wasn't so hard.

#245 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,926 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:31

Why doesn't he just put an EU Flag on his airbox and be done with it.

Really though, who cares? Any Kiwi who settles in Australia and then does well (ie. Russell Crowe or the Finn Brothers or a shedload of others) we consider Australian. They are also considered New Zealanders by New Zealand.
In general, the individuals are reasonably ambiguous about their loyalties.

Again, who cares?

Provided Webber beats Nico, I hope Nico does really well!

#246 Mr. Duck

Mr. Duck

• 121 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 21:46

Nico's name may point to his real nationality.
You see - Nico is not a typical finnish name.
Neither it is a typical german name.
What if Nico has a third nationality that is kept secret, for some reason?

#247 Niro

Niro

• 213 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 22:07

Yup, one third of him is vulcan.

#248 Pumpkin

Pumpkin

• 369 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:31

Originally posted by SkorbiF1
How can this thread still be about his nationality?

The man has two of them. :confused: That wasn't so hard.

The guy should just become a Fingerm and be done with it :

#249 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,260 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:22

Nico's name may point to his real nationality.
You see - Nico is not a typical finnish name.
Neither it is a typical german name.

Hmm Rosberg does sound very similar to iceberg.

Maybe he is part Arctican.

#250 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,059 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:06

"You see - Nico is not a typical finnish name. "

But Niko is very typical finnish frontname and they sound the very same. C is pronounced in many cases as K.
Like Coulthard -> Koulthard, or Mclaren -> Mäklaren

Pronunciation of Barrichello was changed not long ago when tv-reporters asked what is the correct way. It was no longer C->S but C->K if I remember right.