Nico Rosberg

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
997 replies to this topic

#251 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:30

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Formula 1 drivers, all sportsmen, and really all great achievers; have more in common with each other than they do with the people who hold the same nationality as them. I yearn for a day when people abandon the insecurities of passport infatuation.

Those who travel a lot and cross borders often know, that people at other places face the same life issues as at home. There is not problem of nationalism. Along the same lines, sometimes I wish that Americans would get off their American arses, and learn a little about rest of the world "as is", and not only when they want to "reform it" in its own image, and call it "patriotism".

Advertisement

#252 FordFan

FordFan

• 3,456 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 13:17

At least Rosberg's not shy about quotes. Seems like every day he says he's been the fastest . . . , the tyres are so good, or they're great . ..

Should make for an interesting year.

#253 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 13:26

If Rosberg does well (and I've high hopes), he should declare himself British and thereby ensure acres of glowing reviews from the anglo-centric press. I assume he speaks English already?

#254 tidytracks

tidytracks

• 1,569 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 13:31

Originally posted by Orin
If Rosberg does well (and I've high hopes), he should declare himself British and thereby ensure acres of glowing reviews from the anglo-centric press. I assume he speaks English already?

Along with five other languages, yes, he speaks English like a native.

Frankly I don't care if he races as German, Finn, Brit or Nigerian, I just can't wait to see the kid in action in F1.

#255 emburmak

emburmak

• 2,353 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:03

I have high hopes for Nico as well!! :lol: :lol: After watching him this season outduel the highly rated Kova I hope he does the same to Webbo!! :up:

#256 BRG

BRG

• 11,610 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:49

Originally posted by Orin
If Rosberg does well (and I've high hopes), he should declare himself British and thereby ensure acres of glowing reviews from the anglo-centric press.

Alex Yoong WAS actually half-British. But IIRC, it didn't get him any glowing reviews in the 'anglo-centric press'. So perhaps your basic premise is flawed?

Poor Nico isn't going to get glowing reviews in the finno-centric press or in the germano-centric press either. Maybe he will just have to rely on getting respectable results and hope for the best?

#257 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 13:23

Originally posted by BRG
Alex Yoong WAS actually half-British. But IIRC, it didn't get him any glowing reviews in the 'anglo-centric press'. So perhaps your basic premise is flawed?

Not really, the first clause of that sentence began with a very significant 'If'. :p

#258 kar

kar

• 10,308 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 15:26

I'm surprised Rosberg is still going to be around after the disaster his season has ended up being. In the recent edition of F1 Racing he made comments to the tune Mark Webber good in qualifying, not so special in the race. Given Rosberg's rather mediocre performance this season versus his 'average race pace' teammate, how is it he still has a seat for next year?

With respect to that F1 Racing article too, if anyone has read it, it seemed completely disengaged from reality.

I wonder, a) how popular _is_ Nico in Germany? He lived all his life Monaco and still lives there. He seems 'German' because his dad employed a marketing agency to calculate what his potential earnings would be based on nationality choice. And F1 Racing are so hooked up on his appearance. I dunno I'm a straight guy, but I dunno he looks effeminate and honestly I would not want to look like him at all particularly with his horrid complextion.

Can any qualified heterosexual females comment on just how attractive Mr Rosberg is :)

But yeah short story shorter, Mr 'Golden Boy', is actually becoming Mr Farce of 2006. The comments of Keke after Monaco regarding Michael and in the context of the whole German push of Nico from a marketing perspective, seems even more cynical now.

#259 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 15:48

The thing about Nico is that throughout his career he has had good seasons and bad seasons. It started great with a dominant Formula BMW title in his first season in car racing. But then followed a couple of less hot F3 years. Then, however, he really shone in GP2, in his first year in the category, made more significant that it was the first year for everyone and the level of competition was much higher than it was in F3000 or is in GP2 this year. (I understand that some think GP2 this year is competitive. Well, it is not UNcompetitive, but it is nothing like last year. On the surface it looks good because the bar has been lowered from last year. A bit like some American series in fact, if you don't really know better they look good.) Now, he is on/off in F1. He has done really well in a few qualifying sessions this year, and once or twice in a race too (although Williams team would know better when he has been good, and when not), it would seem. This season in F1 seems a bit like his first F3 season to me. The point is, the guy could suddenly make your jaw drop, and not just in a single race, but over a season. I'm pretty sure we will see that at one time or another in F1, but we may also see plenty more of struggling.

Advertisement

#260 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,589 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 15:54

Originally posted by kar
I'm surprised Rosberg is still going to be around after the disaster his season has ended up being. In the recent edition of F1 Racing he made comments to the tune Mark Webber good in qualifying, not so special in the race. Given Rosberg's rather mediocre performance this season versus his 'average race pace' teammate, how is it he still has a seat for next year?

I'm pretty sure he said that because he believes that he has got more potential than Webber. He doesn't necessarily have to be better than Webber on Sunday's, as he is afterall just a rookie.

#261 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 15:58

But yeah short story shorter, Mr 'Golden Boy', is actually becoming Mr Farce of 2006.

When it comes to writing stupid posts, you are really on form today.

It´s disappointing Nico keeps making mistakes in lap 1. This isn´t GP2. Still, some of his performances have been excellent. What really hurts him is the Cosworth engine - thanks to "we have to save the engine" policy, he gets barely enough laps for memorizing the corners, let alone setting up the car.

#262 kismet

kismet

• 7,018 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 16:09

Originally posted by kar
Can any qualified heterosexual females comment on just how attractive Mr Rosberg is :)

Heh, what kind of qualifications did you have in mind? :D

Anyhoo, the answer to your question: not very. Though it needs to be remembered that there really are no ugly men, only too little money.;)

#263 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 16:11

i think his 2006 is quite ok! much better than i expected.

yes he has the same jpm complex of go for it at lap 1. both even crashed at the canada gp this year. :D

but he´s quite potentially better than say button. he´s been 0.3 off pace from webber in qualify and sometimes even passes him and that´s fantastic because webber as such a good reputation at qualifying.

he had some disasters come race day: behind slow rubens at monaco; crash first laps at montreal and hockenheim; also out very soon at malasia.
and good races at bahrain and nurburgring.

as for his feminine atration... look at dicarpio´s sucess :p

#264 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,291 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 16:46

He needs to be given some time. He proved in GP2 that he knows how to race. He had a great opener for the season but then slipped away a little.

The same goes for Williams. I think he will do alright in Hungary. Williams should defenitly keep him for next year.

#265 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,199 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 17:05

Originally posted by carbonfibre
He needs to be given some time.

Of course he does, but if he impresses Sir Frank, as in today's press statement, then that should be good enough for anyone. He's learning all the time, and the kid is a real racer, just like his dad. I think that sometimes, more experienced drivers are trying to hang their own mistakes on the kid, for example I'd say he was pretty much the innocent party in Montreal. That was one of the dear departed Monty's moments of madness, he was expecting Nico to disappear to make room for him.

His spots will clear.

#266 nezza

nezza

• 110 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 19:52

In my opinion Nico has done well and Williams should definately hold onto him for next season. You can look back through the history books and you will see many rookies who were wild and spectacular in their early part of their careers, gone on to achieve success and at the end of their career ended up being superbly consistent. A big part of this is that they have to adapt to absolutely everything about the F1 circus. And when most people adapt (to anything new) setbacks do occur- its human nature. At least Nico can learn from his setbacks early on in his career and develop from these to become a better driver as a result.

Plus the other thing he had a father he can talk to who has seen at all and done it all. This is a hugely valuable free asset for him and he is in the priveleged position of being the only driver in the paddock who has this on their side. If used correctly Keke's advice could be worth a couple of tenths a lap psychologically.

#267 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,589 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 19:56

Rosberg/Williams '07 is a no-brainer I think.

#268 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,291 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 20:30

Originally posted by race addicted
Rosberg/Williams '07 is a no-brainer I think.

Seeing the recent comments yes. Plus Williams knows he has a raw gem in him.

#269 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,060 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 19:36

Because of poor Williams reliability Nico doesnt get those km's he would be good to get in his rookie year. Hopefully situation improves next year.

#270 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,371 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 20:01

Think Rosberg's season shows just how good Webber is. Interesting comparison to the Ralfie-Button season...either Bunsen's underrated or Ralfie's overrated...or both...

#271 Victor

Victor

• 437 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 23:41

I don't like all the fuss that was made about Rosberg.
I remember he was called the new F1 God - or something as stupid as this - even before his first race.
It seems to me that he has a lot to prove yet and, to be honest, he didn't impressed me much so far...

#272 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,060 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 14:31

Nico's website is finally online:

http://www.nicorosberg.com

There isnt much stuff yet (mainly pics for teenage girls).

As expected he represents himself as Monaco citizen.

#273 PassWind

PassWind

• 4,874 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:45

Had to do a bit of a search and looking at several like named threads this seems to be the official Nico Rosberg appreciation thread, I would just like to say how impressed I am with his composure during interviews having to drive with MS in 2010, his latest interview with usual suspect media trolls looking for a crack asking him if the recent changes to the car have somehow flipped a switch in the team. He calmly answered the questions posed and pretty clearly articulated the circumstances of last weekend. The guy doesn't get a lot of attention but I thought it worth mentioning in his thread. :up:

#274 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 19:01

I feel bad for Rosberg over last race. He was second in championship and then they went and dramatically changed the car to suit his teammate better (in the process, of course, messing Rosberg up since he was doing great with the car they had). This of course isn't fair to him and I hate to see it done to a guy who has really been pretty patient for 5 years now in his career driving hopelessly uncompetitive cars. Now he finally has car he can compete with and is driving impeccably only to have it changed around on him.

I'm very impressed with Schumacher's courage and willingness to risk everything coming back to F1 so I want to see him succeed very badly. However, at the same time, I also want to see Rosberg finally have the opportunity to show what HE is capable of without it getting messed up just because a big star comes and joins his team (after Rosberg) and it becomes important for the big star to get a car that suits him in a particular way at the expense of any driver with a less abnormal driving style.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Rosberg left MGP for Red Bull or something and Massa went and joined his old friend Schumi at MGP. Of course, this will never happen because if Webber does indeed accept retirement I think Kimi is still willing to drive again (if the arrangements haven't already been made). But who knows maybe it's really true that Kimi just doesn't give damn about F1 no matter what. Would be so interesting to see Rosberg there then.

#275 SchumiBoy

SchumiBoy

• 1,261 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 19:24

I feel bad for Rosberg over last race. He was second in championship and then they went and dramatically changed the car to suit his teammate better (in the process, of course, messing Rosberg up since he was doing great with the car they had). This of course isn't fair to him and I hate to see it done to a guy who has really been pretty patient for 5 years now in his career driving hopelessly uncompetitive cars. Now he finally has car he can compete with and is driving impeccably only to have it changed around on him.

Are people still on this. Have you actually read what the team says, what Nico says ? Or just trolling

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/83556

Edited by SchumiBoy, 13 May 2010 - 20:02.

#276 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 20:03

I agree with the sentiment about Nico - IF he were being sabotaged or disadvantaged to Michael's purpose. Nico for the moment clearly doesn't or is being incredibly naive, I believe the former. One of the things that I like about Nico is he seems to be a very honest and straightforward young man. At times I think he has even tended to own too much of the responsibility when things go wrong - his team will tend to swing in behind him IMO with his impeccable behaviour. provided he delivers on track as well. His Monaco effort so far shows he is very near top drawer. Going blow for blow with Schumie at a track which Michael has "owned" and is one of the ultimate levellers was impressive. Saturday will be another big test if he can lay down another Schumie denting qually.

Michael's one-eyed fans (they aren't all one-eyed) have a dilemma. They want to paint him as the greatest, they want us to believe the great one still has it, but they can't admit that Rosberg is top drawer. They have had to resort to a range of excuses like - understeer disadvantages MS v NR, MS is actually quicker (even if the timesheets and results so far show 1-4), MS car was broken at Shanghai, and MS is still adapting to a 2010 F1 which is vastly different to when he was racing. I believe the last factor and the Shanghai one is possible, but it is currently 4-1 and round 6 is looking poised for either way, I think MS is doing a very good job against a teammate many fans didn't rate but who clearly Ross Brawn and others on the pitwall did.

#277 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,694 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 21:16

@Muz Bee: agreed. I don't understand the amount of BS about NR. I don't want to quote myself, but he more than proved himself in the Williams for years. And he is proving himself now also. Merc has a fascinating driver pairing, and they push each other forward. It will not be the end of the world if he betters MS. If he will do that or not, that is the subject of permanently heated discussions it seems. Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion, what is disturbing is fabrication and distortion of related facts.

#278 SchumiBoy

SchumiBoy

• 1,261 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 21:26

@Muz Bee: agreed. I don't understand the amount of BS about NR. I don't want to quote myself, but he more than proved himself in the Williams for years. And he is proving himself now also. Merc has a fascinating driver pairing, and they push each other forward. It will not be the end of the world if he betters MS. If he will do that or not, that is the subject of permanently heated discussions it seems. Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion, what is disturbing is fabrication and distortion of related facts.

:up:

#279 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 21:42

:kiss: I have been a (at times troubled) Nico fan. How good (or bad) was the Williams he was driving? With Webber as a teammate you still couldn't really judge as Mark was yet to really prove himself. Some here still like to portray that rookie year as some kind of career killer for Nico, even at the time! Talk about ridiculous! When both drivers are trundling uncompetitively around in the back half of the field you know one thing - the car is crap. Drivers will tend to go their own ways with setups etc when the car is a struggle so results can vary (P11 v P15), just look at Rubens v Jenson at Honda - all over the place! Last year the Williams looked half decent for the first time in more than 5 years and look at them again now! Some still liked to focus on Nico's one mistake in 09 (Singapore crossed the white line at a crucial moment) and say he is "error prone". His overtaking last season was superb but some say he (and Vettel!) are useless overtakers. What we can learn from this is some people have a very simplistic view of the art of racing complex aero dependent, and that biased people tend to distort the facts for their purpose.
race cars.

Now again this year Nico it seems can't win against the detractors who have also resorted to name-calling. Nico is above all the muck of F1 which is why I have admiration for the youngster - he has maturity beyond his 24 years and conducts himself like a professional on and off the track. Unlike some more highly-rated opponents ahead of him in results who have become legends in their own view of themselves. That Nico has so far been able to acquit himself so very, very well against a fantastic teammate is extremely top drawer. I doubt that Michael would agree to assist Nico in any way beyond normal racing courtesies but I'm sure he has the greatest respect, grudging as that may be.

Edited by Muz Bee, 13 May 2010 - 21:53.

Advertisement

#280 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 16:04

Okay, because I'm well tired of seeing Ivan b*tch about (of all the nerve!) Rosberg fans in other threads, maybe it's time to bring this one back to the top.  ;)

So what's the verdict? Did Nico get the most from the car? Did he beat his teammate? Did he beat Kubica? Or have the goalposts moved for him yet again? Enquiring minds want to know....

#281 MattPete

MattPete

• 1,451 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 16:26

What if Nico has a third nationality that is kept secret, for some reason?

seekrit Kenyan!

#282 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 16:59

So what's the verdict? Did Nico get the most from the car? Did he beat his teammate? Did he beat Kubica? Or have the goalposts moved for him yet again? Enquiring minds want to know....

Great year, very balanced with very fast driving this year and I'm sure he was on it all the way only the Benz slowing him down.

What a shame he has had to suffer from MS's presence/comeback in 2010 to steal his well deserved spotlight, any other team mate and this thread would have been on page 1 a long time ago with constant praises.

My verdict - cream rose to the top and I hope this thread sees more action in 2011 for all the right reasons :up:

#283 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 17:00

I believe Nico would have won his first race this year in Korea if Webber hadn't taken him out.

#284 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 18:58

I believe Nico would have won his first race this year in Korea if Webber hadn't taken him out.

I try not to indulge in speculation about this race, because people have a point when they say it would have been impossible to know what would have happened. However, Rosberg showed incredible pace all weekend at a new track that was being touted as a great leveler among drivers and teams, precisely because it was new and everyone was starting from the same blank slate. That he did so in a car that had been abandoned since Hungary was more of a feat than has been acknowledged, I think.

#285 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:58

Could you help a Mate out with next weeks Lotto numbers please?

#286 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:56

Great year, very balanced with very fast driving this year and I'm sure he was on it all the way only the Benz slowing him down.

What a shame he has had to suffer from MS's presence/comeback in 2010 to steal his well deserved spotlight, any other team mate and this thread would have been on page 1 a long time ago with constant praises.

My verdict - cream rose to the top and I hope this thread sees more action in 2011 for all the right reasons :up:

any other teammate and he wouldnt have shined at all it would all have been the car

#287 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 14:40

any other teammate and he wouldnt have shined at all it would all have been the car

Which kind of points up the fundamental absurdity of the "it's all the car" argument, but whatever.

#288 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 15:04

Which kind of points up the fundamental absurdity of the "it's all the car" argument, but whatever.

not really he looked good against an off form driver any other driver with the team finishing 7th/8th or whatever and nico wouldnt look as good its only because its schumacher and slightly beating him makes it special

#289 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 15:50

not really he looked good against an off form driver any other driver with the team finishing 7th/8th or whatever and nico wouldnt look as good its only because its schumacher and slightly beating him makes it special

But Nico didn't just "slightly" beat Schumacher, did he? He got three podiums out of a car that became the MSC fan's standard excuse for his season.

Plus he beat the much-lauded Kubica in a car that was roughly equal over the season, and came within two points of Massa in a far superior car. That alone would suggest that, just maybe, Rosberg did a better job than you would like to believe.

Edited by ktsayshi, 24 November 2010 - 17:37.

#290 SEP

SEP

• 148 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 16:29

I has already started.

Why don´t you wait some 10 years, at least? Everyone still can remeber exactly what happened between Nico and Michael! A total massacre!

Edited by SEP, 24 November 2010 - 18:06.

#291 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 20:50

Found some this years Quali Onboard laps from Rosberg.

Malaysia rain (Q3 P2)

Monaco (Q2 P1)
http://www.youtube.c...M...37&index=33

Singapore (Q3 P7)

Korea (Q3 P5)
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Edited by rog, 26 November 2010 - 21:02.

#292 Lamag

Lamag

• 1,076 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 23:57

@rog

Very nice job mate.

My favorite one is Malaysia Q3, amazing.

#293 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 00:11

@rog

Very nice job mate.

My favorite one is Malaysia Q3, amazing.

Korea is nice too. Hard pushing but quite clean driving.

#294 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,694 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 00:15

Rosberg is way underrated. I mean UNDERRATED. And NOT because I am an MS fan. The guy is really good. Maybe lacks a little racecraft, but that is no surprise, Williams has not schooled him enough in this respect.

#295 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 00:21

Apparently the Rosberg family spent the holidays in Finland - some nice candids at NR's Twitter account of Nico, his girlfriend, and Keke the Destroyer:

http://twitter.com/nico_rosberg

#296 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 00:28

Found some this years Quali Onboard laps from Rosberg.

Malaysia rain (Q3 P2)

Monaco (Q2 P1)
http://www.youtube.c...M...37&index=33

Singapore (Q3 P7)

Korea (Q3 P5)
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

:up: Thanks very much for this. I personally think Rosberg did really well and is really underappreciated. I hope that Mercedes give him a good car next year, and are smart enough to not favour michael.

#297 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,048 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:32

:up: Thanks very much for this. I personally think Rosberg did really well and is really underappreciated. I hope that Mercedes give him a good car next year, and are smart enough to not favour michael.

Great you guys got this thread up and running again :up:

It is amazing how it survived and escaped from being put into the Racing Comments Archive - I think one single post in April 2008 (between a few in 2006 and 2010!) was responsible for that. It is high time we have a thread to monitor Nico´s progress consistently, 2011 could be the year that yields his first GP victory...

Edited by aditya-now, 04 January 2011 - 06:34.

#298 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 16:35

It is high time we have a thread to monitor Nico´s progress consistently, 2011 could be the year that yields his first GP victory...

Rosberg and Brawn both feel pretty good about his chances, it seems:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/88817

Rosberg's team boss Ross Brawn reckons his reputation will change greatly once he wins a race.

"He's a quiet driver in the sense that you don't see many flamboyant actions on track," he said. "But when he gets past someone, he's good in terms of overtaking. He just gets on with it and maybe that hasn't captured the public's imagination. Once he wins a race, which he will do, that will change."

#299 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,663 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 16:53

I was also impressed with rosbergs progress last year,i hope he has an even better year in 2011

Advertisement

#300 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,039 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 17:49

But Nico didn't just "slightly" beat Schumacher, did he? He got three podiums out of a car that became the MSC fan's standard excuse for his season.

Plus he beat the much-lauded Kubica in a car that was roughly equal over the season, and came within two points of Massa in a far superior car. That alone would suggest that, just maybe, Rosberg did a better job than you would like to believe.

After 4 races, Nico was ahead of Schumacher by 40 points (50-10).

Over the next 15 races, that grew to an extra 30 points; a 2 point deficit per race.

Schumacher also had more dubious race strategy than Nico, more non points finishes and been on the wrong end of a decision or two as well as gifting Nico a position or two more than once (Brazil and Hockenheim).

I'm not defending Schumacher here, but let's keep some perspective here. Schumacher was beaten but he wasn't obliterated, trounced or demoralised by Rosberg.

Infact, I'd argue that when they were both running 'as normal', for the most part Schumacher was the match of Rosberg.