Photo

Nico Rosberg

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
997 replies to this topic

#301 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,056 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 17:55

Infact, I'd argue that when they were both running 'as normal', for the most part Schumacher was the match of Rosberg.

Show me the video of Rosberg getting re-passed by a Virgin....

Advertisement

#302 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,503 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 18:00

Infact, I'd argue that when they were both running 'as normal', for the most part Schumacher was the match of Rosberg.

This is how "biased" looks like.

#303 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 18:04

not in the least, mate.

#304 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 18:05

:up:

#305 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 18:22

After 4 races, Nico was ahead of Schumacher by 40 points (50-10).

Over the next 15 races, that grew to an extra 30 points; a 2 point deficit per race.

Due in part, at least, to Rosberg's three no-fault retirements in the last nine races (Hungary, Japan and Korea).

#306 LBDN

LBDN

• 54 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 18:54

what amazed me was how Mark Hughes managed to declare Kubica his driver of the season.

Now i am not saying for one minute the Nico Was, however considering the Mercedes and Renault were fairly well matched and yet Nico ended up with more podiums & points i failed to see how Kubica could be so high and yet Nico so far down his list.

Mark's whole theory seemingly assuming that the Renault was not that good and ignoring the possibility that perhaps the Renault was infact good but Petrov contributed to the assumption it was a slow car.

For me, Nico should been compared against Kubica from last season rather than Michael after the halfway point

#307 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 19:03

Due in part, at least, to Rosberg's three no-fault retirements in the last nine races (Hungary, Japan and Korea).

Its quite convenient that people forget this, especially Korea when he passed Hamilton, and considering how the race turned out, might have won had he been able to pass Alonso, and manage his tyres thus extending his gap over MSC. Theres also a reason why MSC let him through- he was more able to compete.

Nico seemed to adapt really well to the 2010 changes, and with the pirelli tryes, i hope hes as adaptable again. If hes given the car there is no doubt in my mind, that he will be a race winner. Whether he has the mental ability to win a championship is a different story, but as long as there is an equal policy between the two drivers there would be no doubt in my mind that he has a chance.

edited for grammer

Edited by Kvothe, 06 January 2011 - 19:05.

#308 zawisza

zawisza

• 565 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 19:49

what amazed me was how Mark Hughes managed to declare Kubica his driver of the season.

Now i am not saying for one minute the Nico Was, however considering the Mercedes and Renault were fairly well matched and yet Nico ended up with more podiums & points i failed to see how Kubica could be so high and yet Nico so far down his list.

Mark's whole theory seemingly assuming that the Renault was not that good and ignoring the possibility that perhaps the Renault was infact good but Petrov contributed to the assumption it was a slow car.

For me, Nico should been compared against Kubica from last season rather than Michael after the halfway point

James Allen : [the Renault's] car ... was slower for most of the season. I’ve checked the data with various engineers and the Mercedes was faster on the whole.

http://www.jamesalle...-of-the-season/

IMHO Nico was as good as Robert in 2010. Both did perfect job.

#309 LBDN

LBDN

• 54 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 19:58

http://www.jamesalle...-of-the-season/

which is why its weird that Kubica was 1st and Nico something like 7th

But thanks for the links. Interesting reading

#310 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 20:07

I must say, with so much action up and down the grid this year, I found Rosberg vs. Kubica to be one of the most interesting storylines. And as a fan of both, it's been nice (and refreshing!) to see that fans of one typically show respect for both.

My hope is that we'll see another good fight between them next year, but much closer to the top of the table.

#311 FNG

FNG

• 3,178 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 20:13

I'm a Nico fan and a fan of MS but let's not kid ourselves, Nico trashed MS, no other way to look at it. I don't think it will happen again this season though.

#312 LBDN

LBDN

• 54 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 21:00

I'm a Nico fan and a fan of MS but let's not kid ourselves, Nico trashed MS, no other way to look at it. I don't think it will happen again this season though.

what was interesting was watching Nico manage gaps with Michael at times last year on the F1 live timings.

On many occassion if Nico was unable to ever catch the car infront and was in the highest possible position and Michael directly behind him, most times when you saw Michael close the gap by a tenth or two on Nico, the next lap Nico would increase it by exactly the same margin.

Maybe i am sad but watching Nico drive at a controlled pace to manage the tyres and control Schumacher too i found quite interesting.

It's amazing how much more interesting a race becomes if you watch it via the live timings too.

#313 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 23:34

For me (biased Nico fan that I am!) I found it hard to split Kubica and Rosberg who both extracted the max out of their uncompetitive cars and trounced their teammates. Both made few errors and always looked to believe in themselves at all times. Hamilton had a year he will want to forget with too many rash mistakes, Webber frankly was aggressive but inaccurate. Champion Vettel and contender Alonso showed much better form in the second half but both gave away far too many points to silly errors. Button's weakness is his qualifying and is shaded for outright pace by Lewis. Massa we can now discount as frontline material as per Michael.

OK 2011 and Pirelli tyres is another year but with recent form it would be hard to bet against Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso for top driver this year. Mercedes have a mountain to climb if they are to do better than provide an occasional winning car for Nico (or Michael who may benefit from an extra year back in the frame). I'd love to see Nico challenging the front three regularly but podiums and maybe one win is all I dare hope for at this team.

#314 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:19

Nico rosberg vs keke rally duel, check it out.

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#315 Lamag

Lamag

• 1,007 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:21

Nice video, thanks olliek88

#316 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:01

:up: Nice video thanks

#317 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,625 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 13:00

:up:

#318 Gridfire

Gridfire

• 843 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 14:27

For me (biased Nico fan that I am!) I found it hard to split Kubica and Rosberg who both extracted the max out of their uncompetitive cars and trounced their teammates.

Given that Kubica's teammate was a F1 rookie widely known to be a pay-driver and Rosberg's teammate was Michael "Everyone is my bitch" Schumacher, I think it's fairly easy to split them. I've felt that Rosberg deserved a better car for a couple of years now - while comparisons against Nakajima aren't exactly fair, Rosberg's performance in that 2009 Williams was pretty great I thought.

It is a shame that at this point in Nico's racing career where he should be number1 driver in front-midfield car at least (which he was for a few brief moments before Schumacher signed onto MGP), he is going to be suffering from being in Schumacher's team. However well he does, the team is unlikely to EVER favour him over Michael. Hopefully after 2011 Schumacher will have cemented his position as a has-been and leave MGP, and Nico will get someone like Hulkenberg or Kovalainen as a team mate at MGP.

All due respect to Michael Schumacher - I absolutely agree that he's possibly the most talented F1 driver ever or at least in the top 5. However his time has passed, and yet his reputation still affords him a number1 seat in a big team regardless of losing by a large margin to his own team mate (who has never won a GP) and a Renault in the championship in 2010.

#319 Kompressor

Kompressor

• 546 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 15:34

IIf hes given the car there is no doubt in my mind, that he will be a race winner.

:up: I'm hoping that a lot of Rosberg's input has gone into the development of the new car.

Advertisement

#320 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 16:04

:up: I'm hoping that a lot of Rosberg's input has gone into the development of the new car.

Why hope? It is a stated fact. Both he and MS has given good feedback. In fact that's all they have done all season.

Edited by Szoelloe, 08 January 2011 - 16:04.

#321 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 00:07

After 4 races, Nico was ahead of Schumacher by 40 points (50-10).

Over the next 15 races, that grew to an extra 30 points; a 2 point deficit per race.

Schumacher also had more dubious race strategy than Nico, more non points finishes and been on the wrong end of a decision or two as well as gifting Nico a position or two more than once (Brazil and Hockenheim).

I'm not defending Schumacher here, but let's keep some perspective here. Schumacher was beaten but he wasn't obliterated, trounced or demoralised by Rosberg.

Rosberg beat Schummi, end of....

Edited by Yorkie, 09 January 2011 - 00:14.

#322 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 00:23

(---> Yorkie)
:up: The best assessment possible of drivers is the one against their teammates in the same car. 2009 some were saying Nico was overrated, the Williams was a great car and his teammate was rubbish. Fair enough but it is questionable as how crap was Naka? How good was the car then and in 2010 and did they go backwards with 2011 Williams? How good is Nico - other than rookie year where he was outpointed by the experienced Webber (now a GP winner and WDC contender) - you have to say he has trounced all his teammates including Schumie. Whatever reasons Michael had his worst season ever and Nico his best you have to either say Nico is brilliant (to beat a legend in the same car) or pretty damn handy (to beat a faded star in the same car).

I really look forward to seeing Nico taking his first win and kicking on to win many more and maybe a WDC. I like the idea of another son of a WDC winning the WDC but more, I like his no whinging approach, despite what the haters from the Schumiefanclub like to distort in his media comments. A thoroughly thoughtful young man who Frank and Patrick described as the most intelligent driver they had (based on some IQ test).

#323 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,145 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:11

Just posting this. Stunning achivement by the at the time 21 year old.

#324 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,765 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:00

Great to see that again. This, and Hamilton, are why rookies must perform absolutely immediately despite the relative lack of testing (assuming they begin at the start of the season).

Edited by Disgrace, 09 January 2011 - 02:01.

#325 Lamag

Lamag

• 1,007 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 19:21

Amazing video.

#326 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 19:36

Amazing video.

:up: Hey guys thanks for the awesome videos,
if there are any more keep them coming, they might just be enough to get me through to testing :)

Edited by Kvothe, 09 January 2011 - 19:37.

#327 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 20:55

:up: Yes thanks. We didn't see a lot of qualifying in 06 and Nico was so impressive at the start of his F1 career. How could a team as great as Williams fall so far so quickly - 2006 was the start of the rot.

#328 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 22:15

I think Nico is a very good driver... He made just few mistakes this year and showed really good pace in some races or qualifyings... The truth is he is sometimes "invisible" on TV screen, but it doesn t matter if a proper result is there... He can be very satisfied with his this year s results... I hope all will stay fair within the Mercedes team next year and both drivers will be treated equal... It will be very good for the Formula One fans to see both Michael and Nico to battle against each other...

#329 Lamag

Lamag

• 1,007 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 20:05

Lewis racing Nico at Karting.

#330 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 20:35

I think Nico is a very good driver... He made just few mistakes this year and showed really good pace in some races or qualifyings... The truth is he is sometimes "invisible" on TV screen, but it doesn t matter if a proper result is there... He can be very satisfied with his this year s results... I hope all will stay fair within the Mercedes team next year and both drivers will be treated equal... It will be very good for the Formula One fans to see both Michael and Nico to battle against each other...

Sounds like almost the same description that has been applied to Nick Heidfeld for years.

#331 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 20:44

Great to see that again. This, and Hamilton, are why rookies must perform absolutely immediately despite the relative lack of testing (assuming they begin at the start of the season).

Those guys were some of the last rookies to benefit from nearly unlimited testing. It should also be noted that Williams were using the new spec BS tyres which were a huge step forward on hot tracks. Still very impressive though.

#332 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 22:44

Sounds like almost the same description that has been applied to Nick Heidfeld for years.

Hmmm, something I haven't wanted to say for some time....
Still, staying at Williams so long was a mistake in retrospect. Let's hope Mercedes doesn't also flatter to deceive.

#333 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 00:24

Lewis racing Nico at Karting.

:up: im going to have to stop liking so many things, but i did enjoyed that two world class drivers in the making and bit at the end with the tit for tat overtaking

#334 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,629 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 13:02

Pirelli have made their front tyre stronger after complaints from drivers after the Abu Dhabi test last November.
As Rosberg was the most vocal of all drivers about the lack of front end grip, this will be good news for him.

#335 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 16:53

Pirelli have made their front tyre stronger after complaints from drivers after the Abu Dhabi test last November.
As Rosberg was the most vocal of all drivers about the lack of front end grip, this will be good news for him.

Good news. He should be happier with the tyres then.

#336 baddog

baddog

• 23,373 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 23:31

My money would be that there isnt a driver on the grid who liked the old fronts.. but pointy fellas like Nico and his teammate who I shall not mention here will love the change.

#337 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:33

My money would be that there isnt a driver on the grid who liked the old fronts.. but pointy fellas like Nico and his teammate who I shall not mention here will love the change.

It occurs to me that Mercedes may not have to come up with some killer app or loophole for the car this year if Pirelli comes up with the kind of tires Rosberg and Schumacher want. That may be the area in which the Silver Arrows can gain the most ground. Winter testing should be interesting!

#338 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:19

SPEED: Rosberg to Drive New Mercedes on First Test Day

http://formula-one.s...-first-test-day

#339 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:31

SPEED: Rosberg to Drive New Mercedes on First Test Day

http://formula-one.s...-first-test-day

:up: great news, i can't wait to tsee the comparisons between the two, although since the track will be more rubbered in i expect MSC to be faster.

Advertisement

#340 Lamag

Lamag

• 1,007 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:47

He deserve it

#341 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 17:29

He deserve it

aye get the car preped and all of the checks out of the way for the second day of the test... hes a good lad that rosberg not afraid of a bit of hard work

#342 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 17:53

aye get the car preped and all of the checks out of the way for the second day of the test... hes a good lad that rosberg not afraid of a bit of hard work

And obviously the best at setting up the car, too.  ;)

#343 metz

metz

• 9,707 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 18:01

Nico should do much better this year.
Since the car will have a lower centre of gravity, now that he has a short haircut. :p

#344 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 18:26

:up: great news, i can't wait to tsee the comparisons between the two, although since the track will be more rubbered in i expect MSC to be faster.

Mercedes PR trick to get MS ahead at least once in a year?

#345 Lamag

Lamag

• 1,007 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 19:38

Nice video about, Nico, Nick and Michael.

#346 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 21:48

Mercedes PR trick to get MS ahead at least once in a year?

i thought that twitck involved ms pitting to let nico past? sometimes multiple times in the same race

#347 LBDN

LBDN

• 54 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:56

may already have been posted.

Apologies if so. At work so unable to check all pages on the thread.

This is personal fave Rosberg clip.

The whole clip shows the build up to the race, the warm up lap and then the start.

#348 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 16:58

He deserve it

It was the same last year or you all forget it? Nico drove first half of the first day and Michael second half. So ,nothing new there. They are consistent.

Edited by ivand911, 22 January 2011 - 17:01.

#349 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,191 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 13:03

Nico should do much better this year.
Since the car will have a lower centre of gravity, now that he has a short haircut. :p

Yep ..Britney is now looking more... DiCaprio.(©Adam Cooper)
Posted Image

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 25 January 2011 - 13:04.

#350 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,777 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 16:19

Yep ..Britney is now looking more... DiCaprio.(©Adam Cooper)
Posted Image

Jp

From Barbie to Ken.

Posted Image