Photo

Shadow DN3/5A

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowF1

ShadowF1

• 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 23:01

Greetings, I am developing a detailed history of the Shadow DN-3 formula one cars, and would appreciate this forums' input to confirm the details of each number plates.

Conventional wisdom for this series of Shadows suggests that there were five chassis made in total.

DN-3/1A: was destroyed in P. Revson's accident at Kylami. Though, there are rumors the tub was retrieved, re-built and used in S. Africa locally.

DN-3/2A: used during the '74 seson by JP Jarier, then re-numbered DN-3/2AB for the early part of the '75 season, then destroyed by M. Wilds in the ShellSport series in '76. This car is currently with D. Nichols in Salinas, CA ready for refurbishment.

DN-3/3A: used during the '74 season by B. Redman, B. Roos and T. Pryce. Damaged by T. Pryce, sent to the shop, acquiring plate /5A and used as the spare the remainder of the season. Currently in FL with plate /5AB.

DN-3/4A: used as the teams (short wheel-base) spare by JP Jarier and T. Pryce. Currently in Italy.

DN-3/5A: used to rebuild /3A, driven by T. Pryce the remainder of the '74 season, used as a spare in the ShellSport series, then sold to collectors in England, Canada and the US.

There are very distinct mechanical differences between these cars that allows there history to be understood. For example, the first four chassis had the medical oxygen bottle mounted on the top of the monocoque, directly behind the driver. The last chassis had the bottle mounted inside the monocoque center section.

I would greatly appreciate anyone with knowledge of these cars, and their history to weight in with any further details of their pedigree. In particular, any detailed shop photos or paddock photos would be great to see.

I'll try to post some photos I've collected to simulated the discussion. Thanks.

Advertisement

#2 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 03:50

Hi there

DN3/4A was located in Canada some years back and that it was put out for sale. But I lost track of the car after that, are you sure about pressent location i Italy.

I found this link maybe it will have your attention. I don't know the story but I think that the guy who posted the pictures will bring updates from now on. The link is as follow below.

http://www.atspeedim...dow_dn3_f1_tub/

best regards

#3 Bonde

Bonde

• 1,072 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 18:39

ISTR a story about a Shadow tub being stolen i South America - but from recollection of pictures and descriptions of Revson's fatal accident in South Africa, I very much doubt that a single panel or component from that tub could have been re-used, even if someone had wanted to :confused:

#4 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 20:24

Hi

The car belivied stolen i Brazil was a DN1. But I just talked with Alan Rees (again) and he still says that the story is "absolut not true" His own words.

And just remember what Muzza wrote. “I am trying to retrieve the story of the robbery of the Shadow DN1 in my homeland Brazil. I talked to two local journalists that covered Formula 1 at the time (both are still active) and 1.) they did not recall it, 2.) are very interested to help to find out what happened.”

So if the not the Shadow team manager (Alan Rees) was missing a F1 chassis, when he left Brazil We may very well presume that nobody did.

Best Regards

#5 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 21:02

Click here to read the entire thread regarding the missing DN1...

#6 racetrack

racetrack

• 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 03:56

I cannot help you with the specifics of the chassis numbers of the DN3's and 5s' but I know Don Nichols quite well and could put you in touch with him. I do know a number of the owners of Shadow F1 cars both DN3's and DN5's and I could find out the chassis numbers of the cars with no problem. I owned Shadow F1 DN8-2a(Pryce SA car) and bought the car from nichols and hvae known him for maybe 20 years. he and the original crew chief restored my car and preped it for racing with the HGP group which runs a race series for 70s' and 80s' GP cars. You could look them up at: www.HGP.com or www.historicgrandprix.com I forget which? I raced my DN8 for 15years winning some dozen or more races with it. Don has a lot of info on Shadows and lot of actual cars still and has all the plans for the cars and many records plus an excellent memory tho at advanced age now! I can be reached tclar18@aol.com Tom Claridge Pres. Claridge's Ltd. Fremont CA www.claridgesltd.com

#7 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 13:51

;)

Don is very likely to show up for the HGP race today at Sears Point.

#8 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 14:56

Hi

Found this on the DN3/4A. http://www.race-cars...31/74dn31ss.htm

Later on it was sold again. But this time in Canada (If I remember correctly) If the car is in Italy I would very much like to know where in Italy and who owns it.

Best Regards

#9 ShadowF1

ShadowF1

• 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 00:11

The DN-3 that came from Canada (and is pictured in posts by CSGPR) is under-going an extensive restoration in CA by Robin Auto. I own this car and am going to great lengths to re-build it to authentic specifications, including identifying the original-build number plate.

Interestingly during the restoration process, we found that the car did not have rivet holes for a dead pedal- and more telling- had the medical oxygen bottle mounted inside the monocoque, behind the driver. The monocoque appears to be in period condition as we found the original fabricators markings all over the aluminum monocoque and on the fuel cell foam.

The "purple" rivets all have the same worn look to them (perhaps indicating no prior restoration, or repaired panels?). The bottom-side has clear wear/tear from practice/qual/racing, but not the type expected from a full season of F1 racing. Hence, it makes sense that this chassis was a later build.

Based upon photos from LAT, Sutton, Bernard Cahier, Don Nichols etc., the first four DN-3's all had the medical oxygen bottle mounted on-top of the monocoque, behind the driver. As well, DN-3/2A and 4A had dead-pedals affixed to the left-side foot box (I would like to confirm what /3A had). This chassis has no rivet holes in these areas.

Discussions with Don Nichols, revealed that Shadow at times had switched number plates to avoid re-applying for the "carne" documents when a chassis was crash-damaged and needed to be sent back to North Hampton.

With this evidence, it seems reasonable to assume that the number plates got switched, and this chassis is actually /5A. The chassis currently has an authentic Shadow number plate- DN-3/4A- which has signs that it was removed and re-rivoted.

After the 1974 season, the cars remained at the Shadow factory. Late in 1975, three chassis were sold to the PR Reilly team to contest the 1976 ShellSport series. From the end of 1974 through 1976, the lineage of each chassis gets confusing do to their use as team spare cars to the DN-5's, and subsequent crashes in the secondary series.

Input from members concerning further photos of these detailed areas of the DN-3's, or knowledge of the construction of these chassis would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps someone knows of one of the original mechanics that could recall, or has prints of the monocoque to identify the differences in chassis?

In the next few weeks, I'll work on putting together the photos that show some of these details which I hope to post.

Once again, thanks for the insightful inputs.

#10 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 14:54

Hi shadowf1

I have a picture of Mike Wilds in the DN3, it's from the 1976 British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch. (He din't qualified). The picture its taken in the pitlane in front of the car. If you want I can mail you the picture when I returne home Tuesday. I don't own the copyright so i can't post it here. The car ran without the tall airbox, which was banned from the Spanish GP the same year. I do not know if the car ran with the air-Box in the Shell sport serie as I have never seen a picture. So hopefully someone out there will post a picture from the Shell Sport Series.

Best regards

Christian Sædder

#11 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 16:06

Hi

My notes on the DN3s haven't been updated in some places since the mid-1990s but here's what I can add.

DN-3/1A: was destroyed in P. Revson's accident at Kylami. Though, there are rumors the tub was retrieved, re-built and used in S. Africa locally. You can dismiss those rumours. The wrecked chassis was taken back to Phil Kerr’s workshop and chopped up.

DN-3/2A: used during the '74 seson by JP Jarier, then re-numbered DN-3/2AB for the early part of the '75 season, then destroyed by M. Wilds in the ShellSport series in '76. This car is currently with D. Nichols in Salinas, CA ready for refurbishment. I know who Springett sold the wreck to and I'd love to know how it got back from Leeds to Don.

DN-3/3A: used during the '74 season by B. Redman, B. Roos and T. Pryce. Damaged by T. Pryce, sent to the shop, acquiring plate /5A and used as the spare the remainder of the season. Currently in FL with plate /5AB. I believe this car was Springett's spare but was not used as such and went with DN3/5A to Phil Bennett (Nov 1977) and others before being bought by John McCartney in late 1981. DN3/3A then went to Peter Bloore (early 1982), David Ham (later in 1982), John Brannigan (Sep 1983), via Graham Eccles to Alan Ratcliffe (end of 1983) then to David McLaughlin about 1990. It went to Italy in Feb 1992 but I don't have any further note of it.

DN-3/4A: used as the teams (short wheel-base) spare by JP Jarier and T. Pryce. Currently in Italy. Don't mistake cars for chassis plates. This car was written off by Pryce in Austria but the chassis plate from 4A was then used on a rebuild of 3A because the chassis plate belonging to 3A was then on 5A. The actual car 4A was rebuilt as a show car and went to Jarier. It passed to Marcel Alquier in the mid-1980s then to Ron Murphy then Roy Caitlen (1987) then Roger Cowman then George Stauffer. I think this is the car that went to Alex Polsinello in Toronto in 1996 but my notes refer me to a letter I had from Alex that I now can't find. I have no idea what chassis plate would be on this car now.

DN-3/5A: used to rebuild /3A, driven by T. Pryce the remainder of the '74 season, used as a spare in the ShellSport series, then sold to collectors in England, Canada and the US. Springett - Bennett as above and raced 1978/79. Later to Brian Redman who was just establishing himself as a dealer then to Bradburn then McCartney. 3A and 5A then parted company and 5A went to Harrison (I think) who entered it for John Brindley, then Rod Tolhurst and then Bill Hall and Roger Cowman and the end of 1985. It went to George Stauffer (this is well before 4A did the same trip) in 1986. In Oct 1991, it passed to Dave Swigler in Florida. Dave still had it in 2002.

Does that help?

If you have Alex's old car then I think the chassis plate may well be right. That car was just a collection of used bits when it went to Jarier and Ron Murphy later spent years trying to put it straight. Don't read too much into exactly what you find attached to it. Also, bear in mind that 4A never raced so the lack of marking underneath would be consistent.

Allen

#12 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 17:04

Hi Allen

Long time. Do you know why and how Phil Kerr came into the picture regarding the DN3/1A, as he was working for McLaren. Was it Denny Hulme who took action? He was on the accident site right after the accident.

Best Regards

#13 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 17:45

I don't know exactly why. The story came from Kerr via Pete Racely in Jan 1997. Pete had been checking out the rumour and had got a definitive story from Phil.

Allen

#14 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 17:52

Thank You Allen

If I come it any closer I've let you know.

Best Regards

#15 Roger Springett

Roger Springett

• 9 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 16:53

If anyone needs chassis information on Shadow DN1 & DN3,please enquire.I purchased all the DN1 & DN3 programs from Nicholls AVS,Northampton.The DN1's were purchased in 1975 and the DN3's in 1976.Our Title Sponsor was Team PR Reilly,who were and still are a very big car parts supplier,based in Dublin,Ireland.Drivers were myself( testing only),Richard Scott DN1,Lella Lombardi DN1 and Mike Wilds DN3.Mike also drove my Ensign MN02 on a few occasions.

For the 1977 Season,I purchased David Purley's Chevron B30 3.4 GA and once again ran Mike Wilds in The ShellSport Series.Title Sponsor for that year was Templar Tillers,which was owned by Tony Hazelwood.

The Shadows were disposed of in 1977.Our final race Chassis was DN3/5A,which was modified with a front dash hoop (necessary for '76 F1 regs,as we had enteries accepted for the British & German GP's).This car was sold complete with Judd prepared DFV to a car trader in Leeds.

Sorry this info is a bit late,but I have only just joined !

Roger Springett

#16 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 19:05

Hi Roger

It sounds just great :clap: I'm sure ShadowF1 will react quickly. And so will I but I'm a bit far from home right now.

Best regards

#17 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 14:34

Just for fun, I still have the original pencil, pen and ink sketch of the DN3 made for Don Nichols for use by the media after the announcement of AVS going into formula one. I think that it was published in the contemporary press. Barry Crowe gave it back to me years later when he was cleaning up some paperwork.
If anyone is interested, I could scan it and post it. Since it was done before the first car was ever drawn, it could interest some Shadow afficionados as it could be printed and framed for the shop's wall. I also have a superb Shadow multi-color belt buckle given to me at the same time. Anyone seen another? :)

#18 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 20:58

Hi T54.

Yes plese I would very much like to see it. So please post a photo of the Pencil.

Regarding Shadow multi-color belt buckle There was one for sale at e-bay about a year ago. But must unfortunate I was out bid.

Best Regards

#19 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 21:10

Originally posted by T54

I also have a superb Shadow multi-color belt buckle given to me at the same time.

Surely the 'multi-coloured' Shadow graphics were introduced during 1975 [ie not 1972/3]? I'm thinking of the flashes on the flanks of the DN5s, the back of Pryce's helmet, the team jackets and so on...

Advertisement

#20 MODE

MODE

• 306 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 21:15

The one seen at Monaco this year is the car owned by ShadowF1 I presume ?

Posted Image

#21 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:01

Hi MODE

Now thats not ShadowF1's car. This car "Lives" in Italy. You can se on the rear wing Support which is not the original. But wery nice Picture!!!! Thanks for posting it.

Best Regards

#22 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 15:12

Originally posted by T54
Just for fun, I still have the original pencil, pen and ink sketch of the DN3 made for Don Nichols for use by the media after the announcement of AVS going into formula one. I think that it was published in the contemporary press. Barry Crowe gave it back to me years later when he was cleaning up some paperwork.
If anyone is interested, I could scan it and post it. Since it was done before the first car was ever drawn, it could interest some Shadow afficionados as it could be printed and framed for the shop's wall. I also have a superb Shadow multi-color belt buckle given to me at the same time. Anyone seen another? :)

Hi Phillipe (or Philippe, I never know, sorry for that !),

Please, show us this sketch and the multi-color belt buckle !!!!

VBR.
André Acker.

#23 Roger Springett

Roger Springett

• 9 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 18:13

Originally posted by Allen Brown
Hi

My notes on the DN3s haven't been updated in some places since the mid-1990s but here's what I can add.

DN-3/1A: was destroyed in P. Revson's accident at Kylami. Though, there are rumors the tub was retrieved, re-built and used in S. Africa locally. You can dismiss those rumours. The wrecked chassis was taken back to Phil Kerr’s workshop and chopped up.

DN-3/2A: used during the '74 seson by JP Jarier, then re-numbered DN-3/2AB for the early part of the '75 season, then destroyed by M. Wilds in the ShellSport series in '76. This car is currently with D. Nichols in Salinas, CA ready for refurbishment. I know who Springett sold the wreck to and I'd love to know how it got back from Leeds to Don.

DN-3/3A: used during the '74 season by B. Redman, B. Roos and T. Pryce. Damaged by T. Pryce, sent to the shop, acquiring plate /5A and used as the spare the remainder of the season. Currently in FL with plate /5AB. I believe this car was Springett's spare but was not used as such and went with DN3/5A to Phil Bennett (Nov 1977) and others before being bought by John McCartney in late 1981. DN3/3A then went to Peter Bloore (early 1982), David Ham (later in 1982), John Brannigan (Sep 1983), via Graham Eccles to Alan Ratcliffe (end of 1983) then to David McLaughlin about 1990. It went to Italy in Feb 1992 but I don't have any further note of it.

DN-3/4A: used as the teams (short wheel-base) spare by JP Jarier and T. Pryce. Currently in Italy. Don't mistake cars for chassis plates. This car was written off by Pryce in Austria but the chassis plate from 4A was then used on a rebuild of 3A because the chassis plate belonging to 3A was then on 5A. The actual car 4A was rebuilt as a show car and went to Jarier. It passed to Marcel Alquier in the mid-1980s then to Ron Murphy then Roy Caitlen (1987) then Roger Cowman then George Stauffer. I think this is the car that went to Alex Polsinello in Toronto in 1996 but my notes refer me to a letter I had from Alex that I now can't find. I have no idea what chassis plate would be on this car now.

DN-3/5A: used to rebuild /3A, driven by T. Pryce the remainder of the '74 season, used as a spare in the ShellSport series, then sold to collectors in England, Canada and the US. Springett - Bennett as above and raced 1978/79. Later to Brian Redman who was just establishing himself as a dealer then to Bradburn then McCartney. 3A and 5A then parted company and 5A went to Harrison (I think) who entered it for John Brindley, then Rod Tolhurst and then Bill Hall and Roger Cowman and the end of 1985. It went to George Stauffer (this is well before 4A did the same trip) in 1986. In Oct 1991, it passed to Dave Swigler in Florida. Dave still had it in 2002.

Does that help?

If you have Alex's old car then I think the chassis plate may well be right. That car was just a collection of used bits when it went to Jarier and Ron Murphy later spent years trying to put it straight. Don't read too much into exactly what you find attached to it. Also, bear in mind that 4A never raced so the lack of marking underneath would be consistent.

Allen

Hi Allen

Just looking through your DN3 History - I would like to confirm what happened to the the Cars purchased from Nicholls AVS (UOP-Shadow) Northampton.UK

DN3/2A: When purchased this chassis had recently been built as a back up car for the 75 SAGP.This rolling chassis was like brand new and I would suggest it was the last DN3 tub made - although it probably aquired the 2a chassis plate from an earlier damaged tub.So of the chassis' I had,I chose this one to prepare and enter the 1976 Shellsport Group 8 championship.Mike Wilds was the only driver of the car.Mike was involved in a big coming together with Bill Gubleman's F2 car at the "S's", Mallory Park.The car was totally trashed and we threw the tub in the skip !The only thing I still have from that car is the chassis plate.

Posted Image

Photo:DN3/2A Mike Wilds,ShellSport 5000,Mallory Park,one lap before the car was written off !!!!

DN3/3A: Purchased as a rolling chassis.Never used by us.Still in UOP livery,No 16,J-P J,when sold.

DN3/5A: Purchased as a rolling chassis,pressed into service when 2A was written off at Mallory.
It first turned a wheel at the first practice session of the '76 British GP ! (40). I remember well what a panic we had getting the car ready - being so soon after the Mallory accident.The car had to have a front dash hoop fitted,current spec rear wing and also ran without an air-box.So someone out there will be able to identify this chassis because it must be the only one with a front dash hoop fitted.

Posted Image

Photo: DN3/5A Mike Wilds,British GP Practice 1976, ( Note:Front Dash Hoop)

3A and 5A were sold in 1977 to Phil Bennett in Leeds,along with all parts.

Roger Springett

If anyone else is interested I will do the same exercise on my DN1's

#24 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,119 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:53

V interesting Roger, and good to have you on here. I recall you raced a 1-litre Imp in previous years, from afar it seemed a helluva step up to running F1 cars in ShellSPORT in 76. What brought about the leap in series? And why did you stop after only 1 year, when the cars went quite well that year. Wasn't Mr Bernardo interested in carrying on in Group 8 into 1977?

#25 Roger Springett

Roger Springett

• 9 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 17:45

Hi Mallory Dan

Thanks for the interest - This was all of 30 years ago !! The Imp was infact a Greetham 850 screamer - I did well with it in '75.I will keep the story brief - I was approached by a guy who offered to build a space frame super saloon for me for '76 - as I supplied Steering wheels to a number of F1 teams,including Shadow - I went on the look out for suspension parts,wheels etc for the project-you guessed it - I finished up with 3 F1 cars from Shadow - instead of breaking them up,things fell into place to rebuild one of them - you know how it is - a DFV here a FGA box there-
Etc-infact the main reason to do it was a great fab guy from Shadow had just quit and we put a deal together for him to rebuild the car.John Judd repaired a damaged engine for me - 465bhp and believe or not,that was always the best DFV we ever had. So now I was an F1 team for £5k total - mind you my wages were only £3k pa then ! (No new curtains that year)

Lets call this part one of the story,before everybody gets bored to death !

Next Time - More Cars,the Drivers and Antonio Bernardo

Roger Springett

#26 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 17:55

Roger

Good to see you here. I was interested to read that you still have the plate from DN3/2A. Do you have any idea how Don Nichols could now have DN3/2A?

Allen

#27 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 21:09

From Oulton Park 1976

Posted Image Posted Image

And fom Mallory Park before the car was reduced to junk

#28 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 21:39

Originally posted by Allen Brown

Good to see you hear.

;)

#29 FLB

FLB

• 29,668 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 21:52

Originally posted by Roger Springett
Lets call this part one of the story,before everybody gets bored to death !
Roger Springett

With all due respect, let me just say...

Bored to death? Bored to death???

Rather Thank You Roger! On TNF, we live for this kind of stuff!!! :lol: :clap:

#30 Roger Springett

Roger Springett

• 9 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 22:20

Hi Alan

Thanks for posting the pictures of the DN1 with Lella at the wheel - I have never seen any of her in the car before !!

Thanks again

Roger Springett

#31 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 22:23

Originally posted by FLB
On TNF, we live for this kind of stuff!!! :lol: :clap:

Yes, indeed. More, please!

#32 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 22:30

Originally posted by FLB

On TNF, we live for this kind of stuff!!!

Indeed we do!

Thanks for posting the pictures of the DN1 with Lella at the wheel - I have never seen any of her in the car before !!

I don't recall previously seeing any in colour... :up: Alan.

#33 Roger Springett

Roger Springett

• 9 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 22:47

Hi Allen

Yes,I wondered how 2A came back to life after we skipped it ,especially as it was most likely the very last DN3 built.I am also surprised about the "AB" chassis numbers - I have never seen them on any factory car.I certainly cleared the Northampton Factory and the only cars there,which I purchasedwere2A,3A&5A
Posted Image Posted Image [/URL]Posted Image [URL=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image

Roger Springett

#34 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:57

From the end of DN3-2A to the start; I took this shortly before the chassis made its race debut in the 1974 International Trophy...

Posted Image

#35 zoff2005

zoff2005

• 277 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:39

Originally posted by MODE
The one seen at Monaco this year is the car owned by ShadowF1 I presume ?

This is DN3/3A - now in Monaco (same owner as the Matra next door in the photo).

#36 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 13:41

Many years ago (about 1984/5) I was given the chance to drive what I was told was DN3/3a at Brands (testing session) and was also told it had come from the cars owned by Derek Daly and was then on it's way to the States. One of the best days I ever had!!

#37 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 14:00

I think Roger may be able to comment later on which Shadow Daly had but it was a DN1, not a DN3. He sold it to another ex-GP driver in the mid-1980s.

Allen

#38 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 15:09

I'll try and find a picture, because I am sure it had a DN3 airbox. Off to the cellar I go..............

#39 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 17:20

Originally posted by f1steveuk
I am sure it had a DN3 airbox

That's perfectly possible.

Advertisement

#40 Roger Springett

Roger Springett

• 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 19:06

Hi Allen

You are correct in thinking DD had the DN1 chassis - I was the guy who gave him a day job when he first came over with Bernard Delvaney from Dublin in 1974. We go back !

Anyway back to the DN1 - when Daly was earning some F1 money - he started to collect a small number of F1 cars - He asked me about the old Shadow "bits" and I GAVE him both the chassis' & "bits"

We met up in Vegas last year,it was the first time we had seen each other since '83 - during our catching up I asked him if he still had the old DN1 - no he had sold it - I think he said to George Follmer - I will mail him and asked what happen to both DN1/5A & our old race car,6A

Roger Springett

PS DN1 air-box don't fit DN3
Shadow spectrum flashes first appeared on DN5

#41 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,119 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:56

Hi Alan

Thanks again

Roger Springett

Roger/Alan, thats a great pic of Lella in the DN1. When I saw it I immediately thought 'Penske PC1', the colour scheme is v similar to the FNCB livery on that car. Can't wait for more Roger, esp how the Ensign MN02 came about.

#42 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:46

Hi Allen

You are correct in thinking DD had the DN1 chassis - I was the guy who gave him a day job when he first came over with Bernard Delvaney from Dublin in 1974. We go back !

Anyway back to the DN1 - when Daly was earning some F1 money - he started to collect a small number of F1 cars - He asked me about the old Shadow "bits" and I GAVE him both the chassis' & "bits"

We met up in Vegas last year,it was the first time we had seen each other since '83 - during our catching up I asked him if he still had the old DN1 - no he had sold it - I think he said to George Follmer - I will mail him and asked what happen to both DN1/5A & our old race car,6A

Roger Springett

Roger

I'd be very interested to know exactly what happened to the DN1s after you and Daly had them. I caught up with one car when Follmer bought it in 1984 or 1985 - he told me he bought it from "a commentator chappie" as Daly was then in the US - but lost the other one for a good while.

Allen

#43 Roger Springett

Roger Springett

• 9 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 16:24

Hi Allen

Was in contact with DD in Indy last night,his reply was :-

"Yes…the Shadow went to Follmer….can’t remember who brokered the deal but think it was Bob Snodgrass from Brumos Porsche….I think it is still a runner"…..DD

Posted Image

Daly & Springett last year

I don't know the Snodgrass guy - perhaps you do Allen? I guess Derek would have sold the lot at the same time.

Roger Springett

#44 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 17:13

Originally posted by T54

Hi PdL,

Will you show us this sketch ?

VBR.
André Acker.

#45 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 21:37

Could not find the belt buckle yet in my junk, but I have found that original DN1 sketch. Note that the wing is placed far forward, above the engine, as I was asked to do (don't even ask).
The car did not exist then, it was just a project, so I was described the general lines and then corrected when wrong. Barry Crowe and Tony were present, as well as another fellow of which I can't recall the name.
The drawing is dated 01/72. It is just pencil and ballpoint because I had to do it on spot while they were waiting, and they were in a hurry!

I got it back a couple of years later from Barry and this is when I got the belt buckle too. I did not know that some people would be interested in an old belt buckle but after I posted that, I got a dozen inquiries from NF readers! It's not even gold plated... :lol:

Posted Image

The size is 14" X 10".
Regards,

T54

#46 Bonde

Bonde

• 1,072 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 22:17

Nice sketch, T54 :up: - any chance we can get to see other TNF relevant artwork from you?

#47 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:49

I got a PILE of it... :) But not relevant to this thread... and not up to the quality of true professionals. :
So just one... ;)

This is a line drawing I did for AAR in 1973 before the F5000 car was built, so as to generate sales:

Posted Image

Now if only I could find that !@#$% belt buckle... GRRRR! :mad:

T54 :)

#48 1970Mk1

1970Mk1

• 23 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:53

I obtained a DN3 from Don Nichols in April of this year. It is a basket case and in need of complete restoration. The ID plate says DN3-4A, but Don states that means nothing as the plates were all switched around (although he says it really is 4A). I have talked to Tony Nicholson, who's shop, Robin Automotive, is in the process of completing the restoration of the other DN3 I know of.

The DN3 coachwork I have is all in Shadow livery, with Jarrier name on the side.

With the updates from Roger Springett, I wonder what chassis it really is!

I also have a Shadow DN6 (chassis plate 3A) and the tiny tired Shadow Mk1 can Am car that we just completed restoration (to the Mid Ohio configuration that Elford drove). We just completed an outing with the car at the recent CSRG vintage event at Sears Point.

Dennis

#49 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:43

Dennis

I'd be very interested to know the history of your DN6. Did Don give you any information on which races it was used in?

Allen

#50 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 14:44

Originally posted by T54
Could not find the belt buckle yet in my junk, but I have found that original DN1 sketch. Note that the wing is placed far forward, above the engine, as I was asked to do (don't even ask).
The car did not exist then, it was just a project, so I was described the general lines and then corrected when wrong. Barry Crowe and Tony were present, as well as another fellow of which I can't recall the name.
The drawing is dated 01/72. It is just pencil and ballpoint because I had to do it on spot while they were waiting, and they were in a hurry!

I got it back a couple of years later from Barry and this is when I got the belt buckle too. I did not know that some people would be interested in an old belt buckle but after I posted that, I got a dozen inquiries from NF readers! It's not even gold plated... :lol:

Posted Image

The size is 14" X 10".
Regards,

T54

]

Thanks, PdL !
I think that when the real car was presented to the press, Shadow showed another sketch.
I will try to find my L'Automobile magazine where it was published.

VBR.
André Acker.