Photo

Anita Taylor

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:32

Flicking through some more home movie material last night and I came across a couple of shots of Anita Taylor. Can anyone tell me what happened to her? She was a bit of a dish in the mid-60's..........

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,253 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:34

That she was/is has been acknowledged previously on TNF...

Somebody posted pictures of her a long time ago. Maybe they accompanied details of what you want to know?

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,865 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:54

:wave: 'Twas I!

First link is to a picture from the mid-60s:

http://forums.atlasf...877#post1105877

And here's a more recent one:

http://forums.atlasf...015#post1225015

#4 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:58

thanks indeed for that, lads.

#5 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:49

This is absolutely unbe - flipping - lievable!!

Apart 5 hours ago I was chatting with a friend about Anita Taylor. He knew her and described her as having the most magnificent piercing blue eyes.

'What became of her' we wondered.

I think I'll put it up on TNF when I get home.

And so I've just walked in the house, poured a beer and turned on my computer...

#6 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:51

Originally posted by Gary C
Flicking through some more home movie material last night and I came across a couple of shots of Anita Taylor. Can anyone tell me what happened to her?

"Today Anita lives with husband Robert Morrell in a beautiful old Queen Anne style hall,enjoying its renovation and sharing time with her three daughters and two grandchildren" From the Women in Motorsport 'bible'

#7 bill patterson

bill patterson

• 154 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 13:39

Anita raced a Ford Anglia and is Trevor Taylor's sister - correct??

#8 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 16:14

Yup

#9 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 18:34

And did she and Trevor do Aurora Racing Team together ?h

#10 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 18:52

Anita raced a Ford Anglia and is Trevor Taylor's sister - correct??

Anita rolled said Anglia at Brands Hatch, a Broadspeed car.

#11 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 18:57

And did she and Trevor do Aurora Racing Team together ?h

I've never heard of that one, Bjorn.

#12 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 19:00

Team Elite maybe???

#13 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 19:39

No, Aurora Team with the eponymous sports racer. Aurora Gears was Trevor's firm IIRC. He put up some excellent perfomances in the little car in mid 60s, especially '65 . It was a r/e mini 1300 engined sports racer IIRC.
Roger Lund

#14 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 20:30

No, Aurora Team with the eponymous sports racer. Aurora Gears was Trevor's firm IIRC. He put up some excellent perfomances in the little car in mid 60s, especially '65 . It was a r/e mini 1300 engined sports racer IIRC.
Roger Lund

Top man Roger, I remember now that you have reminded me :up:

#15 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 21:18

Anita rolled said Anglia at Brands Hatch, a Broadspeed car.

I remember it well. October 1966 in the final round of the British Saloon Car Championship. She rolled her Anglia at Paddock and I believe it was captured by a BBC cameraman and shown at the end of the BBC news that Sunday evening.

#16 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 22:04

Just found in my files :

Aurora Gear (Racing) , Hellaby , Near Rotherham , Yorkshire

Trevor and Anita Taylor were the drivers for this team in 1964 , starting with 2 Mini Coopers and an 1.1 Aurora BMC sportscar.
For 1965 and the start of 1966 Trevor drove an F2 Brabham for Aurora Gear.
Car colour : Turquoise with a Crimson stripe , front to rear and alloy wheels.C

#17 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:03

I remember her filling her bright yellow overalls to perfection Cor!

Edited by Sharman, 22 June 2010 - 10:05.

#18 Alfie

Alfie

• 106 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 14:44

Oh dear.

After all these years of suppressing my schoolboy instincts (you get the drift) I am reminded of the most beautiful thing to me at the time on two legs.

Nurse - Back to therapy!

#19 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 15:10

.........I think if we had a poll on this, most of the TNF board would agree.................... :blush:

If you have access, look at the photo in Graham Robson's "Ford In Touring Car Racing" there is a shot of Roger Clark making a certain gesture, whilst Ford were testing at Bagshot, Anita being the only lady there................................

Edited by sterling49, 22 June 2010 - 15:14.

Advertisement

#20 cedricselzer

cedricselzer

• 116 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 17:17

I met up with Anita and Trevor at the British Grand Prix 2 years ago. Everyone around me seems to have aged. I hope you will get my drift. Trevor has not been that well recently.
We can only hope he will get better. The Taylors are a great family. I include brothers Mike and David and their parents. They are fortunate having Anita as a sister who is in a position to look after the rest of the family. Hopefully I will see them at the GP on the 11th.

#21 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 18:28

Tell her she is forever young in an old man's memories

#22 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 21:51

Was Aurora Gear, Rotherham run out of the premises that was once called Ace Garage?

That was the entrant of Trevor's F.2 car in 1959.

I suppose the chances of anyone posessing a picture of that car are slim to nil.

#23 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 22:31

AKAIK Aurora Gears was Trev's business so it may be that they ran out of the same garage. I have the details of the Aurora address somewhere here in a period Autosport

Cedric, do you recall whether it was only Mike who spannered for Trev on the F3 car and the 18, or did David do it also? In a Graham Gauld interview some years back Trevor went into some detail about the tribulations encountered running the second works 18 as a sister to Jim Clark's car and Mike had a lot of work to do.

Roger Lund.

Edited by bradbury west, 23 June 2010 - 22:08.

#24 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 21:59

Roger Lund

Posted Image

This image is part of a page in Autosport

A friend of mine owns the Aurora although it hasn't been raced for many years. The motoring journalist Jeroen Booij viewed the car in March with a view to including in a book on Mini derivatives.

#25 cedricselzer

cedricselzer

• 116 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 14:32

Roger,
Mike worked in Lotus Components and looked after Trev's car on his own. If I remember David was more artistic and was not suited for that kind of pressure. In 1962 Mike developed shingles which was put down to worrying. I would imagine working on your own brothers car would be stressful for anyone.
Cedric

#26 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 22:05

If you meet up with the Taylors at the GP I am sure there are many TNF members who remember their exploits and would wish for our warmest regards to be passed onto them. It may have been a long time ago, but as with the late Peter Arundell, we remember their talents.
Roger Lund

#27 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 22:06

If you meet up with the Taylors at the GP I am sure there are many TNF members who remember their exploits and would wish for our warmest regards to be passed onto them. It may have been a long time ago, but as with the late Peter Arundell, we remember their talents.
Roger Lund

:wave: :up:

#28 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 22:18

Roger Lund

Thirded. :wave:

#29 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 22:42

BTW, I have tried to find details of addresses and 'phone nos for Ace Gge and Aurora Gears in the online BT phone books archive, but no joy. There is an advertisement for Aurora, ISTR, in a period Autosport so will check next week.
RL

#30 Andy Somerton

Andy Somerton

• 16 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:34

As a mechanical engineering student in Sheffield in 1975 I remember visiting the Aurora gears factory which was also in Sheffield. It was a in typical ancient Victorian industrial building which we were shown around. I assume this is the same place as the Aurora gears owned by the Taylors as this was close to where they lived.

regards

Andy

#31 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:41

No pictures... ??? :cry:

#32 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:49

Thanks for posting, the Castrol Achievements Annual, I had ( or have, if I can find them!) most of the editions for the '60s, a great colour annual.

Edited by sterling49, 26 June 2010 - 08:49.

#33 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 19:47

Roger Lund

I hope Cedric found the Taylors in good spirits.
Something which crossed my mind the other day is the fact that many people possibly either do not know, or have forgotten, that Trevor was listed to co drive the new twincam 23 at the Nurburgring with Jim Clark on that amazing day in May 62 until JC had to retire it with a fumes problem
Roger Lund

#34 Aykay

Aykay

• 30 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 20:48

Hi guys new member.

I had the pleasure of meeting Anita at one of the old Coys festivals in the mid 90s. I found her to be totally charming and as interested in what I did and my interests as I was in asking about her time racing.
I had with me two photos of the Aurora Gears Minis taken by my late dad at the 1964 Gold Cup at Oulton which they both signed.
The one of Trevor because I knew he was there but I took Anitas just on the off chance and got lucky.

#35 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 23:00

"Wheelwench"

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The sound you hear is me shaking my head.

Times certainly have changed.

#36 DJO

DJO

• 45 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:42

Hi guys new member.

I had the pleasure of meeting Anita at one of the old Coys festivals in the mid 90s. I found her to be totally charming and as interested in what I did and my interests as I was in asking about her time racing.
I had with me two photos of the Aurora Gears Minis taken by my late dad at the 1964 Gold Cup at Oulton which they both signed.
The one of Trevor because I knew he was there but I took Anitas just on the off chance and got lucky.

Glad to hear you got lucky with Anita!

#37 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 17:58

Posted Image

This image is part of a page in Autosport

A friend of mine owns the Aurora although it hasn't been raced for many years. The motoring journalist Jeroen Booij viewed the car in March with a view to including in a book on Mini derivatives.

Posted Image

This is the Anita/Trevor Taylor Aurora as it is today. Not turned a wheel on the circuits for a good long time, don't know when exactly.

#38 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 18:12

What a fabulous little car - and what a wonderful restoration project!

#39 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 21:09

What a fabulous little car - and what a wonderful restoration project!

Shame the owner won't sell. I've tried as I had a buyer lined up, an ex sports car driver who would offer on the spot.

Advertisement

#40 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:20

Having recently come across some photos of the Aurora team Minis I'm very curious to find out more about the Taylors, Aurora Gears and the lovely little GT car pictured above. I do know one of the Minis went on to be raced by Gerry Marshall at Newtune and is currently in the final stages of restoration. Any more info or even a contact with the Taylors would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

#41 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:17

I do know one of the Minis went on to be raced by Gerry Marshall at Newtune and is currently in the final stages of restoration.

This car currently being restored I'm fairly sure wasn't driven by Dad but it was driven by Robbie Gordon (and Bill McGovern) who is in touch with the current owner.
Newtune (Brian Claydon) prepared two cars, one for Dad and one for Bill McGovern and this is the Bill McGovern car from the information I've seen on it.

Edited by Gregor Marshall, 09 August 2010 - 08:19.

#42 Concreteconrods

Concreteconrods

• 29 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 18:19

Aurora BMC - Trevor Taylor, practice day Guards Trophy Meeting at Silverstone March 1965. The car was yellow - as was TT's helmet & overalls.

A few years ago I met Trevor at Silverstone. He said that his brother Mike built the car and sister Anita also raced it.

Posted Image

Edited by Concreteconrods, 22 August 2010 - 18:44.

#43 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 18:42

That must rank as one of Trev's finest races, bearing in mind the appalling conditions and the rest of the field, demonstrating that he not only had, but had not lost, that vital talent for control. The weather probably rivalled the Sebring 12hour in '65, IIRC. Trev finished 4th and won the small class. He was effectively only one lap down on Clark in a Lotus 30, who proved again that he could walk on water.....Visibility was utterly lousy, Surtees went off and came back on again, and there were other displays of wet weather virtuosity further down the field, but NGH retd on lap 4 and many of the other big hitters either fell off or pulled in after fewer than 7 laps, incl McLaren, Gardner, Salvadori, Vic Wilson and Tony Dean.
Car no 8 behind him is John Dean's Lotus 30, which retd on lap 7.
BTW if you, or anyone else, have a shot of car 37 I would be most obliged. Peter Darley's book on JC gives some excellent shots of the wet conditions
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 09 August 2010 - 23:38.

#44 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 22:20

That must rank as one of Trev's finest races, bearing in mind the appalling conditions and the rest of the field, demonstrating that he not only had, but had not lost, that vital talent for control. The weather probably rivalled the Sebring 12hour in '65, IIRC. Trev finished 7th and won the small class. He was effectively only one lap down on Clark in a Lotus 30, who proved again that he could walk on water.....Visibility was utterly lousy, Surtees went off and came back on again, and there were other displays of wet weather virtuosity further down the field, but NGH retd on lap 4 and many of the other big hitters either fell off or pulled in after fewer than 7 laps, incl McLaren, Gardner, Salvadori, Vic Wilson and Tony Dean.
BTW if you, or anyone else, have a shot of car 37 I would be most obliged. Peter Darley's book on JC gives some excellent shots of the wet conditions
Roger Lund

In fact Autosport reported Trevor Taylor as finishing 4th behind Clark, Surtees and Jack Paterson( in a humble front engined Lola Climax). The race was actually stopped after 18 of the scheduled 25 laps and the conditions were so bad that the rest of the meeting was abandoned including the main event for Formula 2 cars.

#45 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 23:40

In fact Autosport reported Trevor Taylor as finishing 4th behind Clark, Surtees and Jack Paterson( in a humble front engined Lola Climax). The race was actually stopped after 18 of the scheduled 25 laps and the conditions were so bad that the rest of the meeting was abandoned including the main event for Formula 2 cars.

Correct, and post corrected. I was looking at 7th for something else.
RL

#46 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:13

I went to that meeting. I remember absolutely nothing about the racing. Just that we all got soaked through and a couple of us (not me I'm happy to say) were mud caked following pushing the car out of the 'car park'. Remember the Silverstone car parks???

Sorry, back to the Taylors.

#47 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:36

That must rank as one of Trev's finest races, bearing in mind the appalling conditions and the rest of the field, demonstrating that he not only had, but had not lost, that vital talent for control. The weather probably rivalled the Sebring 12hour in '65, IIRC. Trev finished 4th and won the small class. He was effectively only one lap down on Clark in a Lotus 30, who proved again that he could walk on water.....Visibility was utterly lousy, Surtees went off and came back on again, and there were other displays of wet weather virtuosity further down the field, but NGH retd on lap 4 and many of the other big hitters either fell off or pulled in after fewer than 7 laps, incl McLaren, Gardner, Salvadori, Vic Wilson and Tony Dean.
Roger Lund

My father Harry O'Brien was lying 3rd to JC and JS in his Lotus 19 untill a brake disc broke up putting him into the wall at club corner.

#48 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:37

Seem to remember that meet Barry.Main race was BARC International 200 F2.The following year it moved to Oulton Park-I only got as far as Crewe to discover it had been cancelled due to snow!
I think Trevor was doing F2 around that time in a Brabham?

#49 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:44

Crewe eh? My first-ever drive of over 3 miles in my first car.... With friend Fred, we got as far as the lane leading to the circuit entrance before it dawned on us that everyone was going the other way. We simply turned around and drove straight home.

And this from east London, remember.

Meanwhile, back at the Taylors.... :blush:

#50 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:59

Seem to remember that meet Barry.Main race was BARC International 200 F2.The following year it moved to Oulton Park-I only got as far as Crewe to discover it had been cancelled due to snow!
I think Trevor was doing F2 around that time in a Brabham?

That's right .. Trevor was entered in an Aurora Brabham for the main F2 event.