Photo

1939 European Championship

• Please log in to reply
636 replies to this topic

#401 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 11:40

Of course the word "projet" is the important one here, as it means it was a mere proposal. The mid-July date seems significant too - when exactly was the Italian GP cancelled?

Auto Union knew about it somewhere around July 7th 1939.

Advertisement

#402 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,173 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 07:46

Here a first mention in the Swiss AUTOMOBIL-REVUE, No. 61 pg.3 of Friday, July 28, 1939:

Will the G.P. of Italy be cancelled?
As is being reported in the Italian sporting press, we must face the possibility that the Grand Prix of Italy, which was to take place on September 10 in Monza, will be cancelled as the reconstruction of the track as well as the main grandstand will on no account be completed until then.

#403 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,352 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 13:08

From a feature on Karl Kling in Motor Sport, May 2003:

"Hmm! I worked in the sport department before the war and I knew all the drivers. Rudolf Caracciola was dominant until Lang and Auto Union's Bernd Rosemeyer came along. At first Lang was not allowed to drive as fast as he could ... you could write a novel about what went on in those times! Some would be flattered by it and some would not - but I'm not writing it! People said that von Brauchitsch hated Lang, but they had a much better relationship than Caracciola and Lang - or 'Caratsch' and Fagioli for that matter."

So, if Caracciola and Lang didn't get on, how much credence can we give to either of Lang's post-race versions of his conversation with Rudi?

#404 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,400 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 19:21

This is an interesting point indeed. When I had the chance to talk with Lang in the '70s I asked him about Caracciola and he conceded, without much persuasion, that the man had been, indeed, a very fine driver but stated plainly that the relationship between them had been that of virtual master and servant until Neubauer and the D-B board gave him (Lang) the chance to show what he could do as a driver.

He said - in the '70s remember - that once he became established within the team Caracciola virtually ignored him, they spoke little and had very little contact other than through "the direction", by which I presume he meant the management, Neubauer and the board? Lang seemed to me to be more dismissive of von Brauchitsch, perhaps because he had less regard for his innate abilities as a rival racing driver?

But the overwhelming impression I had was that he was bitterly regretful for having been robbed of what should have been his greatest racing years by World War 2. He repeatedly harked back to "those bad times" - I'm pretty sure because it was during those times that he increasingly hit the bottle...in consolation?

DCN

#405 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,352 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 21:51

Originally posted by Doug Nye
This is an interesting point indeed. When I had the chance to talk with Lang in the '70s I asked him about Caracciola and he conceded, without much persuasion, that the man had been, indeed, a very fine driver but stated plainly that the relationship between them had been that of virtual master and servant until Neubauer and the D-B board gave him (Lang) the chance to show what he could do as a driver.

DCN

The times when he used to impart knowledge to me were over.

Lang on Caracciola, discussing the 1939 Swiss GP (Grand Prix Driver, page 119).

Why do I get a mental image of a two-fingered salute here?

#406 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,173 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 08:19

Originally posted by Vitesse2
...Why do I get a mental image of a two-fingered salute here?

I doubt this sign was known in Germany then and I 'honestly' (learned that word from M. S.) cannot remember 'cause I was just one at that time.

#407 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,611 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 14:13

I was going through the thread again : and I was wondering how the article that Richard or Don or Hans was going to write on the '39 championship was coming along and if it is complete were can one read it :confused: :smoking:

#408 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,352 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 14:26

Quintin:

http://8w.forix.com/ec1939.html

:D

#409 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,611 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 14:51

Quintin:

http://8w.forix.com/ec1939.html

:D

Cool Thanks Richard :up: :up: :smoking:

#410 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 07:56

It's going to be summer soon and I've taken off a week in June to give the old Audi a spin around Germany. Not only do I plan to spend some quality time with my girlfriend, I also want to take another stab at the questions still left open in this thread. For starters, I would like to search the NSKK files at the Bundesarchiv in Berlin to see if we can find the final answer on Hühnleins decision. Seems it's the last place left to check which scoring system he used.

Now, I really could use some help on this, since I never followed this thread as closely as the 1,5 Litre AU-discussion, for example. And it's easier to search an archive if you have some clear-cut questions in your head. If I understand correctly, Hühnlein awarded Lang the Championship with 23 points, although he should only have 22 points according to the new scoring system? And fact is, that system was never officially accepted, so the real European Champion was Müller, right? The challenge would then be to find a Nazi document with Hühnlein's decision on it, preferrably with a table of points?

Are there any other things I should look at? Let me know, so I can make a small list.

#411 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,352 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:07

Originally posted by Brun
It's going to be summer soon and I've taken off a week in June to give the old Audi a spin around Germany. Not only do I plan to spend some quality time with my girlfriend, I also want to take another stab at the questions still left open in this thread. For starters, I would like to search the NSKK files at the Bundesarchiv in Berlin to see if we can find the final answer on Hühnleins decision. Seems it's the last place left to check which scoring system he used.

Now, I really could use some help on this, since I never followed this thread as closely as the 1,5 Litre AU-discussion, for example. And it's easier to search an archive if you have some clear-cut questions in your head. If I understand correctly, Hühnlein awarded Lang the Championship with 23 points, although he should only have 22 points according to the new scoring system? And fact is, that system was never officially accepted, so the real European Champion was Müller, right? The challenge would then be to find a Nazi document with Hühnlein's decision on it, preferrably with a table of points?

Are there any other things I should look at? Let me know, so I can make a small list.

Jeroen: if you look at the final section of my 8W article which summarised the whole thread, you will find a list of unanswered questions!

In addition to the NSKK files there is also the unexplored avenue of the NSKK magazine, Deutsches Kraftfahr: that may be a blind alley, but if you can locate copies anywhere and check whether it included any sport reports or official pronouncements on racing that would be very helpful! If it's no use, then we can ignore it in future .....

#412 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,173 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 09:19

...The challenge would then be to find a Nazi document with Hühnlein's decision on it, preferrably with a table of points?...

Jeroen - this is it, precisely. It must be a document from Hühnlein making a statement and explaining that Lang became champion with 23 points. :)

#413 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 15:09

I am really getting excited about how things are going. The work that has been accomplished using the collaborative efforts of all concerned has been nothing less than highly impressive. We might be able to crack this case after all.

My thanks to all who have toiled long and hard on this effort. :up:

#414 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,352 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 11:08

Originally posted by Holger Merten
BTW: I opened my TNF office in the Library of the Basel University. Have the AR issues from 1936 to 1949 on my desk andchecked 1940 today about AU. So in an interview of february between AU and the "Automobil Revue", there was no 1.5L car constructed at that time.

Disinformation? M-B denied that the W165 existed until it appeared. Alfa Romeo also did the same with the 158.

Many interesting things about Nuvolari, who made his pilot license at the end of the year, and some complete different answers, which driver would race for AU.

Holger, you can't leave it like that!!

#415 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 11:45

Remind you of your wife, Speedy one?

.....Mind you, I would simply have to agree........

#416 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 13:23

Disinformation? M-B denied that the W165 existed until it appeared. Alfa Romeo also did the same with the 158.

MB and Alfa, yes they were discussed. There were different rumours, especially is there an AU 1.5L AU or is there no one. Therefor the AR made an interview about the 1.5L AU and Ar was told, that the car at this date, doesn't exist, and that it will be ready for the 1941 season.

Holger, you can't leave it like that!!

I know Richard, wouldn't leave you alone at all. I'll go to the library next week and will try to scan those informations, or will make a copy. It's not much, but a nice picture of Tazio in his new airplane. I think you are interested in an scan by mail, aren't you. Please give me some time. :smoking: I thought about your interests of Tazio, when I saw the picture.

Look at Ray's post, he reminds me of my wife.;)

#417 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 21:18

Richard, do I sense some leftovers of your big wish to locate that never-seen-before AU typ E? ;)

#418 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,352 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 21:38

Richard, do I sense some leftovers of your big wish to locate that never-seen-before AU typ E? ;)

Well, yes ..... but I'd be very interested to see how much they were prepared to admit in public and how it stacks up against what you found last year.

Anyway, I thought that was your ambition! I just want a time machine that will take me to Bremgarten in August 1939 ....

#419 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 22:07

Well, yes ..... but I'd be very interested to see how much they were prepared to admit in public and how it stacks up against what you found last year.

Anyway, I thought that was your ambition! I just want a time machine that will take me to Bremgarten in August 1939 ....

Richard, take me home... :p

Advertisement

#420 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 21:13

Well... now that I've dug into the subject this deep, I've become convinced that there never was a Typ E. Although I still stand by my statement that AU was very close to completion. It's one of this intriguing what-ifs...

But I still would love to find out more about what happened to all those bits and pieces. We now know for sure that the parts didn't end up in the Typ 650/Sokol. And many documents to the project aren't in the archives. Drawings, for example - the most elementary things in designing a racecar. There must have been countless drawings of the car, the engine, the parts. Well: nothing! I'm sure they went into the Soviet-Union, like all the cars and parts.

Last year, there have been some articles in the press on those Auto Unions that went to the Soviet Union. But frankly, nothing new came out of it. There have been quite a lot of Russians who have quoted spectacular things in magazines, like "I've worked on those machines", or "There are still some lying around". Yet no one has ever even shown pictures, so I think it's just a lot of hot air.

Still, I would really want to find out more! Posted Image

Brun (being passionate)

#421 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 21:22

BTW, just added something to my to-check-in-the-NSKK-archives list: Auto Union's hillclimber in Rumania (Brasov) in september 1940. After all, as Uechtel pointed out so well in the Rumanian 1938-thread, participation in this event was an NSKK undertaking.

Really can't wait until it's June...

Brun (hoping to uncover a real scoop in Berlin)

#422 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,352 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 21:53

Jeroen: anything you can find regarding the German-Italian meeting at Merano in early 1940 would be very interesting! Huhnlein was certainly there, along with (probably) some representatives of both MB and AU. Some of the results of that have been posted here before in the World War 2 thread, but I'd be willing to bet that not everything was made public .....

The minutes would do!! :D

#423 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 06:52

I read about that meeting in the Automobil Revue on saturday. The meetinbg was held in Merano, with Neubauer, Director Sailor for MB and Eberan von Eberhorst for AU and the italian motorsport represantive. They diskussed the races for 1940. It didn't seem interesting for AR to report more.

#424 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 08:11

Jeroen: anything you can find regarding the German-Italian meeting at Merano in early 1940 would be very interesting! Huhnlein was certainly there, along with (probably) some representatives of both MB and AU. Some of the results of that have been posted here before in the World War 2 thread, but I'd be willing to bet that not everything was made public .....

The minutes would do!! :D

Richard, I'm confused here. Copies of these minutes are in the Auto Union-archives, I copied them last year. And I thought I'd posted them here in TNF back then. But after a quick search, I can't find them anymore. I really really hope that I didn't leave them out... if so, it wasn't on purpose :blush:

Anyway, the minutes, you asked? It's in German, if you want me to translate the lot, let me know:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#425 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 08:13

This can't be happening to me. I just searched my a** off on both TNF and 8W. Seems I always, in every discussion on the Merano subject, assumed that I'd already posted these scans and that everyone knew about it.

What a way to f*** up! :blush: :blush: :down:

Brun (beating himself with a stick and shamefully retreating into a dark corner)

#426 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 08:29

And I thought I'd posted them here in TNF back then.

Yoi didn't. And I dint' found them in the copies you sent to me last year. But the AU documents contain more or less the same as in the AR.

#427 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 19:52

Interesting document, it seems, that AU wasn't prepared for 1.5L races in 1940. :confused:

#428 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 20:28

Interesting document, it seems, that AU wasn't prepared for 1.5L races in 1940. :confused:

Well, they were still working on the Typ E in 1940. But the interesting thing of course is, that they didn't expect to finish it in that year... according to these documents.

#429 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,400 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 21:51

It would have been good to have completed a new car during 1940 for a scheduled competition debut in the new Formula in 1941 - but surely new cars for new seasons were very seldom completed particularly early by either of the great German teams during that era, for example the 3-litre V12 AUs for the new class in 1938...???

DCN

#430 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 10:14

You're right Doug, they were always running late (the factories, not the engines of course).

By the way, could you please check into the 1,5-Litre thread? I've posted an important question for you there, guess you overlooked it.

#431 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,400 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 12:51

Brun - sorry - did not notice the 1.5-litre thread question...now attended to.

DCN

#432 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,611 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 13:01

Richard, I'm confused here. Copies of these minutes are in the Auto Union-archives, I copied them last year. And I thought I'd posted them here in TNF back then. But after a quick search, I can't find them anymore. I really really hope that I didn't leave them out... if so, it wasn't on purpose :blush:

Anyway, the minutes, you asked? It's in German, if you want me to translate the lot, let me know:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Brun thanks for the post, Can you please translate it to english :blush: :up: :smoking:

#433 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 14:44

O dear, that's going to take some time. I'll try to do it as soon as I can.

#434 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 15:36

Allright, a quick & dirty translation:

Merano meeting on the 1940 race programme

The meeting took place in the Merano Park Hotel on January 8 and 9, 1940. Hühnlein represented the ONS together with v. Bayer-Ehrenberg. Also present were president Furmanik and Phillippini, Alfa Romeo’s Constantini and Ricart. Then there were Seiler (Daimler-Benz) and Von Eberan (Auto Union). The meeting was organised to come to an agreement on those 1940 races in which both countries take part.

1 – Both countries face the same problem in getting the right tires for their cars. Also, the political situation is of influence.

2- The Mille Miglia, on a new 150 km track near Brescia, will take place on May 14. Cars from the 2-litre class can take part. Hühnlein promises to send 3 to 5 BMW’s.

3- Tripolis, May 5, 393 km, will be held in the 1.5-litre formula. Daimler-Benz promises 2, perhaps 3 cars, but only if safe passage can be guaranteed by the Italian government.

4 – Coppa Ciano Livorno, August 4, 350 km and 5 - Coppa Acerbo Pescare, August 18th, 357 km. The Italians are willing to allow 3-litre cars to take part in one of these races. The two German factories may dedice which.

6 – The Italian GP at Monza, September 8, will be raced in the 1,5-litre formula only. Hühnlein therefore does not want to call this race a ‘Grand Prix’. It should be called Circnito di Monza, 350 km.

7- The German GP at the Großdeutschlandring (the new race track south of Dresden), 250 to 300 km in October. Prominent Italian teams may take part in this GP if prominent German teams are allowed to race in Italian races, says Hühnlein.

Alfa managed to put a halt to the Italian sports programme that Furmanik originally proposed, with 3 formula races. Alfa claimed that it cannot build a 3-litre car and therefore it is decided that the entire programme will be run in the 1.5-litre formula. Seiler answered that under these circumstances, his firm will probably not be able to race in 1940. Later, he said that this is because of Caracciola, who has to undergo surgery and will be unable to race for 9 months. Auto Union said that it cannot take part in 1.5-litre races in 1940.

Our own intelligence suggests that Alfa has a 16-cylinder 3-litre engine and a 12-cylinder 1.5-litre engine which are nearly finished.

(end of translation)

Now, reading between the lines, you can sense the tention between all those present. When the Italians agree to Alfa’s suggestion to drop Furmanik’s programme and race everything in the 1.5-litre class, Daimler-Benz gets annoyed and suddenly claims it cannot take part. Seiler withdraws its his earlier promise to race at Tripolis. Later he explained it is because of Caracciola, who will be unable to race in the next months.

Auto Union hardly says anything at all, only that it doesn’t have a 1.5-litre car yet and will not have one later in 1940 too.

The most interesting decision is number 7. Hühnlein will see to it that major Italian names can take part if the Italians on their turn enable Germans to race in Italy. Now to me it seems, that he was thinking of racing the German GP in the 1.5-litre class if the Italians would let German 3-litre cars race. Or am I wrong here?

#435 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 17:39

O dear, that's going to take some time. I'll try to do it as soon as I can.

Brun won quick and dirty in the German Grand Prix from 2003 on TNF TraNslationFast, the new German track in 52min for the translation of top secret AU material about the 1.5L class. Great. :clap:

#436 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,611 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 06:39

Thanks for the English translation Brun :up: :up: :up: :smoking:

#437 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,173 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 07:27

...Brun won quick and dirty in the German Grand Prix from 2003 on TNF TraNslationFast, the new German track in 52min for the translation of top secret AU material about the 1.5L class. Great. :clap:

Nice feat, Brun. Good thing is that both parts of my brain can understand it now. ;)

#438 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 09:01

Hans,

You've got both Germany and the US in your head? They should use you to restrengthen the German-American friendship :rotfl:

Anyway, nice to hear you all like the translation. Thanks!

#439 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,352 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 14:58

Just posting to correct some typos in the original - whoever typed it was obviously unfamiliar with the correct spellings of some of the names!

"Seiler" should be "Sailer" of Mercedes Benz.
For "Constantini" read "Costantini" ie Meo Costantini.
For "Phillippini" read "Filippini" ie Corrado Filippini.

Advertisement

#440 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 11:58

Just two quick remarks.

First one for David Jones: David, you sent me a pm in which you wrote about the NSKK files listing from the National Archives in Washington and told me you could mail them to me. I've tried to answer you by e-mail and pm, but your address seems to bounce. Could you mail me that listing directly at brun@bart.nl or reply in this thread? Thank you!

Second: I've asked the Bundesarchiv in Berlin to allow me access to the NSKK files, next wednesday... hope they'll agree. :rolleyes: Would be nice to find out something about Hühnleins 1939 EC decision and about those races in 1940, particulary the Rumanian event. Those are the two subjects I'll focus on.

Keep you posted!

#441 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,352 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 12:46

Jeroen: just a quick reminder about Deutsches Kraftfahr, the NSKK magazine ..... in case the Bundesarchiv happens to hold copies. It would be good to eliminate it one way or the other.

Good hunting!

#442 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 14:39

Richard, are there any loose ends that I have to look for in that magazine, in particular?

Not counting the April 1945 issue's main article, 'All answers to all future questions' of course :rotfl:

#443 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,173 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 16:56

Good luck hunting, Jeroen!

In the back of your mind remember some of the primary sources of that time:
* Der Tagesspiegel (Berlin)
* Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
* Kölnische Zeitung
* Völkischer Beobachter

On November 30, 1939, Völkischer Beobachter reported on page 7 about the outcome of Die Europameisterschaft 1939, a press release, signed by Korpsführer Hühnlein. AFAIK, nobody has yet searched in other newspapers on this subject.

#444 Marcor

Marcor

• 1,198 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 17:41

A little bit OT but I've found this article in the German newspaper Frankfurter Zeitungen, dated from Friday September 15, 1939. It's quite short, so I copy it in German. I just hope I have not added some mispellings.

Nach dem ausfall des GP von Wien, des letzten Meisterschaftslauses für rennwagen, und des rennen bei Hockenheim, des letzten Meisterschaftslauses für motorräder und sportwagen, hat der Führer des deutschen kraftfahrsports, Korpsführer Hühnlein, auf grund der vorliegenden ergebnisse zu grossdeutschen Meistern 1939 ersannt:

Grossdeutsche Motorradmeister
bis 250 ccm: NSKK-Oberstumführer Kluge (Auto Union / DKW), 11 punkte
bis 350 ccm: NSKK-Obertruppführer Fleischmann (Auto Union / DKW), 13 p.
bis 500 ccm: NSKK-Obertruppführer Kraus (BMW), 13 p.

Grossdeutsche Sportwagenmeister
bis 1100 ccm: Reichenwallner, DDAC (Fiat), 15 punkte
bis 1500 ccm: NSKK-Stumhauptführer Roese (BMW), 8 punkte
bis 2000 ccm: NSKK-mann Polensky (BMW), 10 punkte.

Grossdeutsche Strassenmeister für Rennwagen
NSKK-Staffelführer Caracciola (Mercedes-Benz), 6 punkte

Grossdeutsche Bergmeister für Rennwagen
NSKK-Staffelführer Lang (Mercedes-Benz), 10 punkte.

Same newspapers, Thursday 21 September, about the Italian champions.
Dr Farina Italian Champion.
Races counting for the championship: Coppa Ciano, Coppa Acerbo, Italian GP (the latter cancelled)
Farina and Biondetti each won one round but Farina also finished 3rd in the other race.

1.5 L class champion: Villoresi
Sport champion: Calamai (2 x 1st, 1 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd)

#445 917

• 325 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 21:14

Originally posted by Hans Etzrodt
...primary sources of that time:
* Der Tagesspiegel (Berlin)
* Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung ...

Which time? "Der Tagesspiegel" was founded in September 1945, "Frankfurter Allgemeine" in November 1949.

Kind regards
Michael

#446 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,352 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 22:15

Richard, are there any loose ends that I have to look for in that magazine, in particular?

Not counting the April 1945 issue's main article, 'All answers to all future questions' of course :rotfl:

We've never established exactly what the contents were: Hans and I tried and failed a while ago. It may be that it's no more than "20 ways to keep your Kübelwagen alive on the Eastern Front" and "This month's centrefold cutie: Obersturmbannführerin Schmidt poses with the new Tiger tank and shows us what she can do with an 88 millimetre" :D On the other hand, in an ideal world, it might be a digest (or even the complete texts) of all the NSKK press releases, directives etc etc. If they have it, quick scan should tell you whether it would be a useful research tool or not.

And in a really ideal world it would tell us how Hühnlein scored the championship ......

#447 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,173 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 04:54

Originally posted by 917

Which time? "Der Tagesspiegel" was founded in September 1945, "Frankfurter Allgemeine" in November 1949.

Kind regards
Michael

Ok
do not look then for Der Tagesspiegel
and change that name to Frankfurter Zeitung, which was around then,
also add Deutsche Sport Illustrierte
and Rheinisch-Westfälische Zeitung.

#448 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 09:12

Well, the archive is in fact the paper stack of the NSKK itself. I doubt there will be any newspapers in it. Perhaps some memos to the press. Anyway, I'll be on the look :smoking:

#449 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 11:56

Well then, gentlemen, I'm off soon. Got a hotel room waiting for me halfway, a girlfriend at the end and a stack of files inbetween. Not bad for a holiday!

The fine people in the Berlin Bundesarchiv have just sent me an e-mail that they're anticipating my arrival. They've put all indexes aside for me so that I can search through them without too much stress. However, they do need some time to come up with all the files I'm going to order, so I've taken an extra afternoon tomorrow to spend in Berlin. Main topics: 1939 EC and unknown 1940 races, like the Rumanian event.

There's a scanner in the back of my car, so I'll be able to post stuff here. How well-prepared can you get :p

As far as I know, the official NSKK paper stack is the last place left that might shed some light on this question. Wish me luck!

#450 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,705 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 12:05

How well-prepared can you get :p

Uhm, this prepared?

There's a scanner in the back of my car, so I'll be able to post stuff here.

:rotfl:

Mind you, guys, that's a full-size flatbed scanner from the stone ages significantly shifting the weight bias of an 80s FWD Auto Union to the back - which is always a good thing. So he isn't suffering that much :p

Did you have to go through the whole "check if this guy isn't a na2i before we let him in" check? Or were you just being polite?

BTW, any latest news on a certain ageing mechanic you were planning to see?;)

And shall I just order a second badge with Barry for you?