Photo

The Mickey Thompson 'Sears Allstate Special' cars of 1964

• Please log in to reply
1729 replies to this topic

#1701 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 700 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:54

Comments would be appreciated about the intake/vent which appears in this photograph just to the right of Dave. Have not seen this before.

Thanks,
Henry

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Henry

Perhaps when Thompson ended up opening up the wheel wells he found adding that vent helped with the airflow under the car.

And while this thread doesnt get the action it once did , i would feel closing this thread would not be in the berst interest of the forum

paul

Advertisement

#1702 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,645 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:13

Well, it's obvious that it was a secret fuel filler for the hidden right-hand fuel tank....

I thought it was something to do with the third wheel steering.

#1703 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,072 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:25

Thanks Paul,

Have not seen the vent/intake in other photographs which tells me it was a last minute addition...............for some, as of yet, unknown reason.

And, for others.

In the words of Katherine Anne Porter “The past is never where you think you left it.”

Henry :wave:

#1704 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,562 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:03

Comments would be appreciated about the intake/vent which appears in this photograph just to the right of Dave. Have not seen this before.

Thanks,
Henry

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Makes me think about a scoop that directs air to the engine or an engine part, oil cooler or so?
Anyawy, that might mean that some kind of duct may run through the pod and if so that even more approves that there was no fuel tank on that side of the car.

Addition made 3 hrs later.

it has been reported that the Ford engines got more hot when running on gasoline than on Methanol. Perhaps the scoop was added to provide extra cooling to a critical engine part or at leaset engine realted and it being done for tace day since that was the first time (other then carb day) that the need for it was diagnosed? (because of Carb day experiences?)

henri

Edited by Henri Greuter, 22 October 2012 - 14:14.

#1705 TomSlick57

TomSlick57

• 81 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:04

Henry,

With all due respect, but this very same picture has been posted over and over again on this thread, and if I'm not very much mistaken you yourself have commented on it extensively, like on all other things discussed on this thread. Do you have a problem with amnesia?

And Stuart (Twin WIndow), please please PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!

Why should they close this thread? if you don't like reading it why do you visit?

#1706 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 700 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:44

Why should they close this thread? if you don't like reading it why do you visit?

Plus in a little over 18 months we will be celebrating ( i know a poor choice of a word) the 50th anniversary of the 1964 race.

This thread (if you read it from post #1) has to be the most informative thread about what happened in regards to the run up to that race , and about the crash itself .

For that reason alone this thread should remain open , even though the flow of new information is rather lacking at the present time.You just never know when someone that hasnt read it will have insight not yet posted , and want to post that info.Since i have no doubt the 1964 will be dicussed when it;s 50th anniversary occurs

paul

Edited by Lemnpiper, 19 November 2012 - 03:49.

#1707 TomSlick57

TomSlick57

• 81 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 21:38

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by TomSlick57, 10 December 2012 - 21:42.

#1708 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,562 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 17:23

A related question.

In the thread there has been talk about the Marathon Oil poster featuring Eddie Sach's Shrike car and how he was surrounded by fuel. Is there anybody out here who has access to a print of this advertisemen and can verify if the ad mentions a volume of fuel that the car contained and if so, what figure was given?

Thanks in advance,

Henri

#1709 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,119 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 17:35

A related question.

In the thread there has been talk about the Marathon Oil poster featuring Eddie Sach's Shrike car and how he was surrounded by fuel. Is there anybody out here who has access to a print of this advertisemen and can verify if the ad mentions a volume of fuel that the car contained and if so, what figure was given?

Thanks in advance,

Henri

I've got a copy at home Henri. I'll look when I get home to confirm if it mentions gallons or only the number of tanks onboard.

#1710 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,119 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:04

Henri - the Marathon ad in the Indy newspaper states eight separate fuel tanks carrying 54 total gallons.

#1711 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,562 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:13

Henri - the Marathon ad in the Indy newspaper states eight separate fuel tanks carrying 54 total gallons.

I'll be darned.....

So that once again makes clear that also in the case of the Shrike, the car is brandmarked with telling it to be a up to 100 gallons of fuel tank car capaicty while the truth being told already, before the incident itself and ignored.

And even more of how much facts have been ignored in the aftermath and people telling differently for whatever reason being believed to make up the story.

Incredible.

Ther is still a lot to do to correct history on this accident.

I recently found a 2012 released book describing details of the story but also telling both cars to have way more fuel on board than they had. I contacted the writer and made him aware of this thread as well as the 8W websiet I wrote, based on the discoveries in this thread.

The man ansered me that he knew what needed to be corrected in the reprint of the book and that he was impressed with the facts uncovered and ignored over the years.

Thank you very much Brian! I think that you have revealed yet another case and example of ignorance within this sad story. Maybe not so much related with the Thompson cars themselve but for sure within the general opinions on the cars involved in the tragedy.

henri

#1712 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,072 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:33

Going on 50 years and new revelations still coming forth.

One of our fellow members has forwarded me a copy of the 1964 Indy program and I look forward to discovering from front to back.  :yawnface:

Henry

#1713 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,119 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:27

From page 55 of the June 22, 1964 Issue of Sports Illustrated in an article by Kenneth Rudeen titled "After the Indianapolis Fire: an argument." This illustration shows and states that car carried 45-gallon tank.

1964MacDonaldtankcutawaySI001_zps5a02af0

#1714 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,072 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 20:44

For those that may have an interest.

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/1250017777

#1715 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 214 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:21

For those that may have an interest.

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/1250017777

Another grim 50th anniversary. There's a lot of commemorations of the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination in the US these days, it looks like the 1964 Indy disaster will get a 50th anniversary book in about 6 months.

Here is the publisher's link:

http://us.macmillan....knoon/ArtGarner

Edited by Emery0323, 03 November 2013 - 06:24.

#1716 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,399 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 18:58

Hope that it is worthwhile and not just another piece of sensationalism that will appeal to the ghoulish rather than the serious fan.

#1717 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,072 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 19:39

Perhaps another reason why the thread should be kept open.  This will, once and for all, end conversation on how many fuel tanks and how much fuel was carried.

Photo from The Ford Motor Company collection for public viewing.

Henry :clap: n9ei.jpg

#1718 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 18:15

All three cars together.  Not sure if this is the Thompson shop or Indy garage area so some help needed to identify location. 

Photograph from the Ford Motor Company collection for public viewing.

Henry :clap:

9ccc.jpg

#1719 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 18:22

This appears to be starting grid.................intake vent to drivers right has been added to car.

Photo from the Ford Motor Company collection for public viewing.

7df9.jpg

Advertisement

#1720 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,562 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 18:25

All three cars together.  Not sure if this is the Thompson shop or Indy garage area so some help needed to identify location. 

Photograph from the Ford Motor Company collection for public viewing.

9ccc.jpg

Henry,

This photo is taken at the Speedway at Gasoline Alley, The wooden barn doors are the giveaway since every die-hard Indyfan of that era knows them and even nowadays these doors are highly collectable items if you can find them. There are some around, I know.

I am not gonna pin down the others as also being Gasoline Alley but if these photos come from the same source (photographer who made them that is) good chance they are.

I know there still will be people proclaiming that this could be a practice period picture and modifications taken place later on in the month a possibility but for me, this confirms pretty much for more than 99% what we had found out already all together in this thread

Henri

#1721 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 18:32

The beginning of fender modifications.  Using the trusty hacksaw...............

Henry  :clap:

vsyc.jpg

#1722 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,119 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 18:37

7df9.jpg

Is that John Mecom Jr. looking away from the car and is next to Dave?

Thanks for sharing the photos Henry.

Edited by B Squared, 15 November 2013 - 18:38.

#1723 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 18:43

Race car prep has changed quite a bit over the last 50 years.

ii42.jpg

#1724 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 18:47

Is that John Mecom Jr. looking away from the car and is next to Dave?

Thanks for sharing the photos Henry.

Brian, lets never give up re-searching!  It is a rewarding joy when photographs such as these turn up..........................there must be more out there somewhere.

These have been sent to me by a very interested third party.

#1725 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 18:50

The Gregory car after mishap.

dnub.jpg

#1726 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 161 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 19:57

Brian, lets never give up re-searching!  It is a rewarding joy when photographs such as these turn up..........................there must be more out there somewhere.

These have been sent to me by a very interested third party.

These photos are from the Dave Friedman collection on flickr: http://www.flickr.co...57637629370626/

1,580 photos from 1964 Indy in random sequence.

#1727 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,562 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 21:28

These photos are from the Dave Friedman collection on flickr: http://www.flickr.co...57637629370626/

1,580 photos from 1964 Indy in random sequence.

And pics from the March '64 Spring test session included as well by the way.....

Stunning to see some pics of the MT cars at speed and then see them up so high in the air....

Henri

Edited by Henri Greuter, 15 November 2013 - 21:29.

#1728 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 23:22

Henri,

Not exactly sure at which part of the suspension tuning this photo was taken.

Henry

bsq4.jpg

#1729 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 23:34

Great photograph of the rear suspension area.

7a4l.jpg

#1730 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 23:37

And, the front suspension area:

cyeh.jpg