'The World's Fastest Indian'

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#51 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,875 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 16:13

Originally posted by BarryD
We have been keeping an eye out for it coming to High Wycome, Aylesbury or anywhere near but it seems to has passed us by.

Anyone know where it might be currently showing ?

BD

Or can we buy a DVD in the UK?

Advertisement

#52 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,545 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 17:13

Originally posted by David Beard

Or can we buy a DVD in the UK?

Not been out long enough!

I keep checking but my local flea pit hasn't had it on as yet!

:wave:

#53 Keir

Keir

• 5,213 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 20:53

The film appeared briefly and then disappeared !! ..... and without me seeing it !!

#54 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 672 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 00:37

The Indian built for the film will be on display at 'Warbirds over Wanaka' next weekend.
During the lunch break they plan to have it out on the runway to allow the crowd to see how it looks at speed.
Begg 018 owner and builder of the Indian - Noel Atley is to be the display rider.

#55 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,647 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:04

I saw the movie in Goulburn today. :clap:
It is a very well made movie.

#56 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:59

The World's Fastest Indian.
Going to see it this week. Just released.
Isn't it like the Yanks to dumb down film titles ? We manage to understand theirs.
To me the classic line from Spotswood was between factory owner and time management expert Hopkins.
"Will that be fairy cakes with your port ?"

#57 CRX Lee

CRX Lee

• 37 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:31

It had a very short big theater run in our area but I found it remaining in a small, artsy theater just of a college campus. Great movie, a fun story and very good production and acting. Heartwarming while getting your motorsports fix. Can't recall likeing a PG-13 rated movie this much. Will for sure buy it when it hits DVD. :up: Time read up on Mr. Munro.

#58 jde

jde

• 42 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:37

Good deal, Lee. I'd assumed it was long gone from the Esquire. :up:

-jde

#59 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,263 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:41

After a long, long wait to see this film, it finally appeared in one of the cinemas at Bluewater, but after only two weeks, it's been withdrawn and not one single cinema in the whole of Kent is showing it. What a disgrace. Clearly not enough sex and violence in it for the paying customers.

Advertisement

#60 OSX

OSX

• 4,063 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:45

This is a great feelgood movie. I recommend seeing it! :up:

#61 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 672 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:04

Australian movie press is very generous in praise and space on the film [sorry I got in a bit hard on them 275 GTB-4] :blush:
The season has just closed at Invercargill pop. 40,000 - every citizen saw it twice ..... so the story goes.

#62 OSX

OSX

• 4,063 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 13:10

Here's a link to quality Quicktime trailer of the movie.

http://www.apple.com...sfastestindian/

#63 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,190 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:26

Patrick

I'm glad my wife and I were able to see the film in Invercargill, plus see the two bikes in the hardware store, plus see the beach on Feb. 19 weekend when we were there for the Historic race at Teretonga...thanks for the tip! At the race, I talked to Noel Atley, who built the bikes for the film. He said Anthony Hopkins really enjoyed himself making the film, and I think it shows. Sorry we weren't able to touch base with you in Australia, Patrick. I tried to email you through this forum, but wasn't successful. Meanwhile, back home in Victoria, B.C., Canada, the film will be finishing its run this Thursday...I hope to see it again with some friends before it's done.

Vince Howlett

#64 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,538 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:13

Originally posted by Patrick Fletcher
Australian movie press is very generous in praise and space on the film [sorry I got in a bit hard on them 275 GTB-4] :blush:
The season has just closed at Invercargill pop. 40,000 - every citizen saw it twice ..... so the story goes.

Two dozen Bluff oysters will fix my mock chagrin :rotfl: :wave:

#65 Greystone

Greystone

• 124 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:41

Originally posted by Paul Rochdale
After a long, long wait to see this film, it finally appeared in one of the cinemas at Bluewater, but after only two weeks, it's been withdrawn and not one single cinema in the whole of Kent is showing it. What a disgrace. Clearly not enough sex and violence in it for the paying customers.

Paul

I saw the film at Bluewater with a couple of friends. I saw it as a feel good road movie and thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was.

Unfortunately there could not have been more than a couple of dozen people in total in the cinema at the time and most of those there appeared to come from a motorsport enthusiast background rather than the usual film goers.

Economics being what they are, I am not surprised that it was taken off after a couple of weeks. To sum up, an excellent film for the enthusiast but it was probably too far removed from the hi-tech, special effects fare that appears to attract today's mainstream cinema audiences.

Andrew

#66 CRX Lee

CRX Lee

• 37 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:41

Originally posted by jde

-jde

Hello JD, small world. Your are the first person I know from the real world in this very interesting group. We too feared it was gone from the Esquire but it was still there last weekend. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Nice website, it is good to see a pic of the Olds after all these years! Say Hi to your Dad for us.

#67 CRX Lee

CRX Lee

• 37 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:48

Originally posted by jde

-jde

Hello JD, small world. Your are the first person I know from the real world in this very interesting group. We too feared it was gone from the Esquire but it was still there last weekend. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Nice website, it is good to see a pic of the Olds after all these years! Say Hi to your Dad for us.

BTW, I saw Sir Anthony Hopkins on the Conan O'Brien show pitching his latest movie "Proof". O'Brien asked him abut the other movies he had done in the last year and the only one that Hopkins could really remember or mentioned was "World's Fastest Indian". He said it was a movie "...about a bike guy..." and mentioned that it was actually was one of his favorite roles ever and the kind of role that he really likes to do. Pretty high praise from a man of his credits about a basically small potatoes, short run film.

#68 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,645 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 13:16

I've just been loaned a DVD copy from an ex-racer in Haydock - sure you can guess who ! Will watch it over the weekend.

#69 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,645 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 13:29

Originally posted by Mallory Dan
I've just been loaned a DVD copy from an ex-racer in Haydock - sure you can guess who ! Will watch it over the weekend.

#70 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 326 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 18:34

I'm hoping to see it at Wells Film Centre, Wells, Somerset 7 pm tomorrow (Thursday) :)

#71 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,875 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 19:39

Originally posted by Mallory Dan

Don't forget to ask him for stories about the breadvan..... :)

#72 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 672 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:13

Burt Munro to be inducted into the American Motorcycle Hall of Fame.
A ceremony to honour his achievement will be held at the museum in Pickerington, Ohio on October 7
Included on it are names such as Mike Hailwood and Siochiro Honda.
Munro's daughter Margaret Popenhagen says " I can just hear my father quietly chuckling. He would be quite disbelieving I think"

#73 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,859 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:32

Originally posted by OSX
This is a great feelgood movie. I recommend seeing it! :up:

In a world of Windoze, love ya username!

#74 BarryD

BarryD

• 51 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 17:47

Worlds Fastest Indian now available on DVD pre-order on Amazon for 1st wk July release.
I've ordered mine.

Barry D

#75 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,425 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 22:13

My stepson went to see the movie the other week, I've heard a lot about it, of course, and I've been trying to convince my wife to go with me so I can use one of the free tickets I got from my work...

Anyway, stepson phoned me straight after seeing it. "You've got to see it!" he said, "It's about you!"

Kids!

#76 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,606 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 22:16

Originally posted by Ray Bell

"You've got to see it!" he said, "It's about you!"

And all this time I thought you were an Australian, Raymondo!  ;)

#77 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,647 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:04

I think he means the bit about the lemon tree. :cool:

#78 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,425 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:40

No, the bit about living in the shed and working on his bike day and night... if I got the right message...

#79 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,647 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:59

Nah, probably the bit about annoying the neighbours with the loud exhaust early in the mornings. :p

Advertisement

#80 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,425 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:05

Well, I guess I've been guilty of that one...

One neighbour said to me once, "Well, you don't drink, and you don't smoke, but you don't sleep either!"

This followed a night working on my car in the garage under her bedroom window. Fearful that I wouldn't get it to restart, I left it idling with minimal muffling for a couple of hours just before the sun came up.

#81 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,647 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:08

Just a little note, did you know that Bert Munro raced in Australia (Penrith and others)

#82 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,022 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:13

:wave:
I went to see it at the movies last Friday .What a great story and it was Soooo well made.
It is a must see for any motor head. Now aim going to get the book.

Catalina Park...your right it sure has that Ray Bell feel about. Just replace the Indian with Peugeot and Bert still beat Ray to have one finished and running !!!

#83 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,647 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:26

Originally posted by eldougo
Catalina Park...your right it sure has that Ray Bell feel about....

I wonder if Ray has the same luck with the shielas? (especially the one at the motel) :p

#84 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,022 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:06

:rotfl: :up:

#85 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,263 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 17:37

Well I finally managed to see the film in a very small cinema in Sevenoaks, and discovered why it's not on general release. Frankly it's not a particularly good film in my opinion. Even Sir Anthony Hopkins couldn't save it. OK, the Bonneville Salt Flats scenes were good but much of the acting by others was wooden to say the least. I tried to like it, I love motorbikes and am on a 3 month motorbike trip around the US, but there were only four of us at the 5.15pm showing which says it all really. :down:

#86 Gerr

Gerr

• 687 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 18:59

Paul, you're not alone. At this site 27 critics agree with you, 99 don't.

http://www.rottentom...fastest_indian/

#87 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,402 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 21:08

Bike magazine had a free "Making of World's Fastest Indian" DVD last month. It's possibly part or all of the previously referred to TV progs.

Strangely, as I was returning the old issues, the DVDs all fell off (despite being enclosed in plastic);)

So, the first four to PM me with their home addresses can have them: free, gratis and for nothing (sorry - UK only, foreign post will be too expensive!) :)

#88 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,425 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 00:37

And if I'm prepared to Paypal you the postage?

Assuming I'm one of the first four, of course...

#89 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,425 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 00:44

Originally posted by Keir
What might be the titles of said books ?? Didn't know Begg did any writing !!

George also wrote about his F5000 adventures...

On the subject which seems to have been visited by Catalina but isn't present in his posts, but is referred to by eldougo... my nephew phoned me after seeing this film.

"It's about you!" he said with excitement.

Sadly, I've yet to find a chance to see it. But if nothing else I'll catch it when it's on the box.

#90 BarryD

BarryD

• 51 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:44

Worlds Fastest Indian now available on DVD from Amazon.

My copy arrived yesterday and we watched it on my sons plasma TV.

Twice.

Fanbloomingabsolutelytastic !

It is a beautiful, amusing, exciting, poignant film.

Although I never met (or even really knew about) Bert Munroe..........

WE ALL KNOW THIS MAN .

You will understand what I mean when you have watched it.

Do not miss it.

Barry D

#91 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,190 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:03

At the Pacific Northwest Historics, Kent, Washington, on the weekend, I talked to long time sports car and Bonneville fixture and engine builder Dave Tatom. I asked him if he had seen "The World's Fastest Indian"...big smile as he said he had seen it more than once...sounds like he knew Munro and said Hopkins did an excellent job of portraying him...

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C., Canada

#92 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,647 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:40

I have bought a copy of the George Begg book. :up: Well worth it.

Burt was a one of a kind, just like Ray! :p

#93 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 672 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:19

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003
sounds like he knew Munro and said Hopkins did an excellent job of portraying him...

There was one scene in the film I turned to my wife and said ' I cannot believe how similar the close up expressions of the actor are to old Burt' ..........she replied 'during that time all 17 year old girls kept a suitable distance from Burt!'
OT a bit... Annie Whittle who played the kiwi blonde friend of Burt's had her own Cessna twin.
It crashed at the base of the Remarkables, coming out of Queenstown a few years ago.
Annie was not flying - maybe a lease from Ardmore.

#94 Keir

Keir

• 5,213 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 21:54

This is a very good movie ! It's what racing used to be about !!

#95 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,425 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:35

Originally posted by Catalina Park
.....Burt was a one of a kind, just like Ray!

One of a kind in some ways, perhaps, but apparently there are a great many people who express the view that they saw themselves in the leading role!

#96 mark f1

mark f1

• 1,788 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 13:18

Just watched it on a Qantas flight, absolutely great!! Now for the book....

Shows why Kiwi (and Aussie) mechanics were so common in the Euro racing scene, they would make do with whatever they had at their disposal. Loved the spare tyre for the trailer...

#97 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,875 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 00:43

Originally posted by Vitesse2

So, the first four to PM me with their home addresses can have them: free, gratis and for nothing (sorry - UK only, foreign post will be too expensive!) :)

A belated thankyou for my copy, Richard. It was well worth a look after thoroughly enjoying film. Hopkins rmust have really studied that character. Must get the book...

#98 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 23:58

Originally posted by Catalina Park
I wonder if Ray has the same luck with the shielas? (especially the one at the motel) :p

I thought transexuals were called he-las

#99 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 00:01

Have now watched an even dozen times, and still think it is the best racing movie ever made!

Advertisement

#100 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,588 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:23

Originally posted by dretceterini
Have now watched an even dozen times, and still think it is the best racing movie ever made!

:up: