Photo

Liege-Sofia-Liege

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 16:31

In the current issue of MotorSport there is a review of "A Mini and the Last Liege" by Mike Wood - an account of his and John Wadsworth's exploits in getting a (partially!) works-backed Mini to end of the final running of the "Liege".
A copy arrived this morning - (must have been by return of post - what service!) - and a jolly interesting little item too.
For a fiver don't expect a confection of Palawan-plushness - it's a self-published but tidily-produced 48-page booklet, with photos, reproduced paperwork and a the "official" map (not what you would call 'detailed"!). A fascinating read - the first thing that struck me was that some of the target speeds for the various sections were insane; I don't think I'd realised just what tough event it was.

I do remember seeing a film of one running of the event (year unknown) when I was at school - one of those end of term afternoons of watching movies in the school hall. Does anyone know of such footage? Or any other material on the event?

Advertisement

#2 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 19:19

The trick said to be perpetrated by the "Liege" was that the official times were, sort of, achievable. If you ran to those however, you would find most time controls already closed. The actual closing times were published on a separate list and that was what dictated the pace.

#3 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 19:30

Yes, Mike Wood describes it much the same way. The sheer pace, over such roads, seems pretty "exciting".