Photo

Daily Telegraph Race

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 20 August 2000 - 01:29

Does anyone know where this sports car race was contested? I have found that Masten Gregory won this race in a Ferrari 375MM in 1954 but that is all I can find. I am assuming that this was a race in Europe so maybe someone here will recognize the name since it might be named after a local newspaper.

Advertisement

#2 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 20 August 2000 - 02:43

Joe,
as far as I know, the 1954 Daily Telegraph Trophy race was held to F1 regulations and took place on the Aintree circuit, won by Moss (Maserati).

On the same circuit were held International Sports Car Races but I don't know if these carried the 'Daily Telegraph' title. Masten Gregory won the 51 mile event, probably with his private entry 375MM spider.[p][Edited by Hans Etzrodt on 08-20-2000]

#3 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 20 August 2000 - 09:04

Duncan Hamilton won a "Daily telegraph" sports car race at Aintreee on May 29 1954. He was drivng a Jaguar.

Moss won a "Daily Telegraph formula 1 race on October 2. This is presumably the race Hans refers to. Masten Gregory won a supporting sports car race in a Ferrai the same day. collin and Parnell were second and third in Aston-Martins. I don't believe that the race that Gregory won carried the Telegraph title.

#4 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 20 August 2000 - 14:57

The reason why I was asking this was due to the information found in this link. http://www.barchetta...370am.375mm.htm

It shows Masten finishing 1st in a "Daily Telegraph Sports Car Race" in 1954 (note: no month given but appears to be in July) as well as at Aintree on October 2nd 1954 in a Ferrari 375MM. It states the car number for the "Daily Telegraph Sports Car Race" was #12 and I have the video of Masten's win at Aintree and his car is clearly #60.:confused:[p][Edited by Joe Fan on 08-20-2000]

#5 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 20 August 2000 - 17:56

Joe

the information I quoted was from motor Sport, February 1955, which contained the results of international races in 1954. It doesn't list any races at Aintree in 1954. The Daily Telegraph is a British newspaper, and about as xenophobic as they come, so it's unlikely to have sponsored a race in another country!

#6 Gil Bouffard

Gil Bouffard

• 597 posts

Posted 20 August 2000 - 22:00

So what are "port wholes in rear fenders," anyway?

There were two Daily Telegraph races in 1954. the B.R.S.C.C. Daily Telegraph International Trophy at Brands Hatch on August 2nd.

The other at Aintree was the B.A.R.C. Daily Telegraph Trophy on October 2nd. In most cases the race day had more than one race. they usually ran sports car, F1, small sports cars (up to 1100cc), Formula Libre, F3 (500cc) and production car races.

Moss, Collins, Hawthorn, Reg Parnell and Roy Salvadori would run two or three different classes.

Gregory could have won both Daily Telegraph sports car races in the Ferrari with the "port wholes."

Information based on career stats from ALL BUT MY LIFE, By Stirling Moss/Ken W. Purdy.

Gil Bouffard

#7 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 21 August 2000 - 05:20

Thanks Gil, Roger and Hans, I think I have it narrowed down now. I bet that it was a support race at Brands Hatch from the information Gil has supplied.

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,262 posts

Posted 22 August 2000 - 03:38

I'll check my Monkhouse book, will be back on the air Friday.

#9 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 18 September 2000 - 17:04

Joe,

I've now found a report on the Daily Telegraph meeting at Brands Hatch in August 1954, motor Sport, of course! THe only sports car race was limited to 1500cc.

THe report of the aintree meeting on October 2nd says" The american newcome to British racing, Masten Gregory,
held th elead from lap two onwards in his blue and white 4.5litre V12 Ferrari, the 22-year-old family man showing sensible restraint in the handling of this fierce machine, relying on its superior acceleration to keep ahead of Collins in a works DB3 Aston Martin."

He also finished second to Roy Salvadori in a sports car race at Goodwood on September 25th 1954. There is a photograph of him in that race, captioned "CALM VISITOR - In site of having the power of a 4.5litre V12 Ferrari under his throttle fot, young Masten Gregory refuses to get ruffled to get flurried. He finished second at Goodwood, as seen here, to Salvadori's Ecurie Ecosse Jaguar in the unlimited sport-car race."

Th report of the Goodwood race says that Gregory was "fresh from his fine showing at Prescott", but I can't find any more information about that.

In case Barry Lake reads this, "practice (at goodwood) ws notable for Tony Gaze ground-looping his HWM Jaguar when going to fast into woodcote corner, thereby bruising himself"

#10 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 19 September 2000 - 04:23

Thanks, Roger, for the bit on Tony Gaze. Every little bit helps.

#11 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 19 September 2000 - 04:42

Thanks for your effort Roger. I take it that Masten didn't compete in the 1500cc sports car "Daily Telegraph Race" in August 1954?