1991 Porsche Carrera 2 3.6 Coupe 'Technical Art'

Posted Image
Rolls-Royce Merlin I. By James 'Jimmy' Clark

Advertisement

#5002 MoMorris

MoMorris

• 14 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 13:49

I found this book in a charity shop for £1.50p.

A4 size with 300 pages, mostly transport-relates subjects as double page spreads.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5003 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:10

I found this book in a charity shop for £1.50p.

A4 size with 300 pages, mostly transport-relates subjects as double page spreads.

Posted Image

Thanks for showing that, got an e-bay copy for 2.50

#5004 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:14

Thanks for showing that, got an e-bay copy for 2.50

I've forgotten about Dorling Kindersley. I had quite a few things of theirs when my kids were young. The kids are now grown up and the books have gone :cry:

#5005 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 16:32

DKW-Vemag Carcará cutaway by Unknown artist - can't read the signature

1966 brazilian record car with 2 stroke DKW engine.

Posted Image

Edited by ibsenop, 22 May 2010 - 22:13.

#5006 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 18:43

1903 47hp 7.8litre Napier by unknown artist
Posted Image
entered in Gordon Bennett races of the period.

Edited by macoran, 23 May 2010 - 18:46.

#5007 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 19:29

Posted Image
Robin Regal By 'S. E. Porter'

Posted Image
Bristol Pegasus X 'Aero' By 'Max Millar' Not really too disimilar a thing from that which is contained in the Robin above. :)

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 20:09.

#5008 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 22:57

Nissan 300ZX Artist unknown
Posted Image
Nissan 300ZX by Shin Yoshikawa
Posted Image
Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo engine, probably Nissan material
Posted Image
From a magazine that regularly published such centre-spreads of epic sports cars. Don’t recall the name anymore.
Posted Image

Edited by macoran, 23 May 2010 - 23:19.

#5009 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 23:06

Nissan 300ZX Artist unknown
Posted Image

That has a hint of Inomoto about it, Marc. Do you agree?

#5010 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 23:18

That has a hint of Inomoto about it, Marc. Do you agree?

It is a poor scan, but yes especially the way the engine has been opened out to show pistons/crank etc.

#5011 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:57

I have found a Matthews FW14, but need to splice and mend the divide.
I hope it will be ok to air it here ?

#5012 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 13:47

I have found a Matthews FW14...

Post #162, Marc!

#5013 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 15:59

Post #162, Marc!

Yes of course!, must have been the small size compared to your usual postings,
and the flatter angle of the copy I found which fooled me.
Also I must pay more attention to Ibsen's index

#5014 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 22:04

Thanks for that Tony.
BTW the one I found was in an issue of The Encyclopedia of Supercars

#5015 Philip Whiteman

Philip Whiteman

• 145 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:07

I love Max Millar's Pegasus engine above. I love all of his drawings for their highly accurate perspective and shading technique – gorgeous stuff.

Having just signed off a piece on the Royal Navy Historic Flight for the July issue of Today's Pilot, the 'Peggy' is topical. The RNHF have three nowadays-very-rare Pegasus engines (or, more correctly, sets of parts to build three!) They power the flights Swordfish biplanes (of which there are three). There's an interesting story in how Design Authority Rolls-Royce came up with a bore chroming scheme to extend the lives of these engines that worked briefly but ultimately fell foul to the non-standard high-chrome replacement piston rings fitted in recent years.

One Swordfish is now again flying, using a Pegasus built up from the least-worn components from the three engines.

The Centaurus from the flight's single-seat Sea Fury has gone to Merlin expert Mike Nixon for rebuilt.

#5016 duffer

duffer

• 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 13:05

I love Max Millar's Pegasus engine above. I love all of his drawings for their highly accurate perspective and shading technique – gorgeous stuff.

Having just signed off a piece on the Royal Navy Historic Flight for the July issue of Today's Pilot, the 'Peggy' is topical. The RNHF have three nowadays-very-rare Pegasus engines (or, more correctly, sets of parts to build three!) They power the flights Swordfish biplanes (of which there are three). There's an interesting story in how Design Authority Rolls-Royce came up with a bore chroming scheme to extend the lives of these engines that worked briefly but ultimately fell foul to the non-standard high-chrome replacement piston rings fitted in recent years.

One Swordfish is now again flying, using a Pegasus built up from the least-worn components from the three engines.

The Centaurus from the flight's single-seat Sea Fury has gone to Merlin expert Mike Nixon for rebuilt.

Lovely drawing isn't it? My Dad worked on Swordfish and Sea Fury's during WWII. Read a piece recently about Germany having to build their jet engines without the availability of chromium for alloying as Monty had cut their supply route. I believe the engines had to be totally rebuilt after something like two hours run time! :drunk:

#5017 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,160 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 13:45

I'm going to post this in the DeHavilland Mosquito thread also, another Max Millar drawing:

Posted Image

#5018 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 13:48

Fascinating. I am quite interested in the concept of 'shadow manufacture'. It seems almost a form of 'licensed reverse engineering'? (necessary in times of crisis/war) Didn't a number of car makers produce 'shadow' versions of the Pegasus? I think at one time Austin and Rover were having a go? I wonder which version was the best, no doubt the RR. I know the Pegasus was also used in the Supermarine Walrus, Vickers Victoria, Valentia, Vildebeest and Vincent (uncowled) and the Bristol Bombay, Fairey Swordfish, Hawker Swedish Hart and Iraqi Audax.

Max Millar also produced a magnificant Centaurus.

#5019 duffer

duffer

• 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 15:46

Fascinating. I am quite interested in the concept of 'shadow manufacture'. It seems almost a form of 'licensed reverse engineering'? (necessary in times of crisis/war) Didn't a number of car makers produce 'shadow' versions of the Pegasus? I think at one time Austin and Rover were having a go? I wonder which version was the best, no doubt the RR. I know the Pegasus was also used in the Supermarine Walrus, Vickers Victoria, Valentia, Vildebeest and Vincent (uncowled) and the Bristol Bombay, Fairey Swordfish, Hawker Swedish Hart and Iraqi Audax.

Max Millar also produced a magnificant Centaurus.

I know the Packard Merlin was generally thought to be inferior to the Rolls Royce offering. My father says the most sought after parts in a Packard engine crate were the tools! LOL!

Advertisement

#5020 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,388 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 16:30

I'm sure that Rolls-Royce would never have produced any Pegasus engines in period, as the Pegasus was a product of the engine division of the Bristol Aeroplane Company, a major rival of RR at the time. Also, the Pegasus was not a front-line engine in WW2, being a little outdated by then (as was the magnificent Swordfish). As to who produced the best version of the Merlin, there is the story told by the famous RR engineer Stanley Hooker:

I considered the Rolls-Royce design to be the ne plus ultra, until the Ford Motor Company were invited to manufacture the Merlin in the early days of the War. A number of Ford engineers arrived at Derby, and spent some months examining and familiarising themselves with the drawing and manufacturing methods. One day their chief engineer said, 'You know, we can't make the Merlin to these drawings'. I replied loftily, 'I suppose that is because the drawing tolerances are too difficult for you, and you can't achieve the accuracy'. 'On the contrary', he replied, 'the tolerances are far too wide for us. We make motor cars far more accurately than this. Every part on our car engines has to be interchangeable with the same part on any other engine, and hence all parts have to be made with extreme accuracy, far closer than you use. That is the only way we can achieve mass production'.

Edited by Tim Murray, 25 May 2010 - 16:35.

#5021 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:46

I'm sure that Rolls-Royce would never have produced any Pegasus engines in period, as the Pegasus was a product of the engine division of the Bristol Aeroplane Company, a major rival of RR at the time. Also, the Pegasus was not a front-line engine in WW2, being a little outdated by then (as was the magnificent Swordfish). As to who produced the best version of the Merlin, there is the story told by the famous RR engineer Stanley Hooker:

I considered the Rolls-Royce design to be the ne plus ultra, until the Ford Motor Company were invited to manufacture the Merlin in the early days of the War. A number of Ford engineers arrived at Derby, and spent some months examining and familiarising themselves with the drawing and manufacturing methods. One day their chief engineer said, 'You know, we can't make the Merlin to these drawings'. I replied loftily, 'I suppose that is because the drawing tolerances are too difficult for you, and you can't achieve the accuracy'. 'On the contrary', he replied, 'the tolerances are far too wide for us. We make motor cars far more accurately than this. Every part on our car engines has to be interchangeable with the same part on any other engine, and hence all parts have to be made with extreme accuracy, far closer than you use. That is the only way we can achieve mass production'.

Interesting stuff. I see your point. I'm not sure those mass produced Fords (Albeit manufactured to a greater tolerance) could in any form have won the Battle of Britain though. :)

The Merlin also had a great reliability record. Here is a quote regarding reliability and the Pegasus (and the attempted interventions of the various shadow manufacturers).

"At the start the car firms thought they knew better than Fedden, and introduced often seemingly trivial changes to crucial production processes, such as gear grinding. It took dozens of often fatal crashes to get across the idea that the hard-won Bristol technology should not be departed from in the slightest degree without careful consultation"

Those pesky car makers! (And their shady shadow factories)  ;)

#5022 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 21:57

60's Dolphin Formula Junior by Gordon Bruce
Posted Image

#5023 duffer

duffer

• 13 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:34

...and let us not forget that they also made the Scorpio (and the Edsel!) :rotfl:

Edited by duffer, 26 May 2010 - 11:37.

#5024 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:22

...and let us not forget that they also made the Scorpio (and the Edsel!) :rotfl:

But that was styling, not engineering, that let them down, surely.

#5025 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:35

1903 47hp 7.8litre Napier by unknown artist
Posted Image
entered in Gordon Bennett races of the period.

Careth OWEN i think

#5026 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:36

peugeot 407 by ETAI
Posted Image

#5027 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 23:17

A couple of Betti's (I think)

Posted Image
1978 Fiat 131 'Racing'

Posted Image
1979 Fiat 127 'Sport' (Not great quality)

#5028 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 16:41

Careth OWEN i think

You probably have the same copy of The Encyclopedia of SuperCars that I have.
Only the photographs seem to be credited to Gareth Owen, four on one page and three on the other.
Of course maybe he is the artist of the cutaway as well............anybody know if said Gareth Owen did cutaways ?

#5029 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 16:43

A couple of Betti's (I think)

Posted Image
1979 Fiat 127 'Sport' (Not great quality)

In the jpeg label it says they are G Bettis...so ?? Or did you label them as such ?
Anyway thanks for the 127 Sport...I had one of them ! and loved it...bit of story there :cool:

Edited by macoran, 27 May 2010 - 16:44.

#5030 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 16:49

In the jpeg label it says they are G Bettis...so ??
Anyway thanks for the 127 Sport...I had one of them ! and loved it...bit of story there :cool:

Oh :up: Very nice! Colour?

Well, the 127 Sport is definitely Giulio Betti, I can confirm that. But I wanted to throw the racing 131 out there regardless, I have my suspicions, but it is an experts eye that is required. For now they have achieved 'provisional Betti' status.  ;)

Edited by werks prototype, 27 May 2010 - 16:53.

#5031 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,585 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 16:53

For more Dolphin information, see Frank Sheffield's excellent marque webiste here;
http://home.roadrunn...f/dolphin01.htm
where there is also this drawing of the Dolphin Porsche taken from SCG 8.63
Posted Image
Roger Lund

Bump in view of Marc's post above
RL

#5032 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 17:51

Oh :up: Very nice! Colour?

Well, the 127 Sport is definitely Giulio Betti, I can confirm that. But I wanted to throw the racing 131 out there regardless, I have my suspicions, but it is an experts eye that is required. For now they have achieved 'provisional Betti' status. ;)

Black with the Orange striping and the piping in the upholstery

#5033 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 18:46

Black with the Orange striping and the piping in the upholstery

Snazzy!

#5034 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 18:55

Posted Image
125 S. Same as page 52, perhaps higher res (Yellow background). P. D. Allesio

#5035 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 19:02

Based on the recent inspirational appearence of a huge amount of Bluebird material in the nostalgia forum, particularly from Sheppane, after doing some digging, 'scrapbooks' a brief return to the old 'record car' phenomena again.

Posted Image
'Babs'(not sure if this is the same invisible Babs that appeared earlier) Parry Thomas's record breaking 400hp, 26.9-litre V12 Liberty engined effort.

Posted Image
Railton-Mobil-Special, x2 26.9-litre, 1,250bhp supercharged Napier 'Lion' engines, x2 gearboxes, 4 wheel drive. Those boys were NOT messing around.

Posted Image
Bluebird-Proteus CN7, Bristol-Siddeley Proteus 4,100hp gas turbine power unit, x2 single speed gearboxes and like the above 4 wheel drive.

#5036 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 19:21

Based on the recent inspirational appearence of a huge amount of Bluebird material in the nostalgia forum, particularly from Sheppane, after doing some digging, 'scrapbooks' a brief return to the old 'record car' phenomena again.

Posted Image
'Babs'(not sure if this is the same invisible Babs that appeared earlier) Parry Thomas's record breaking 400hp, 26.9-litre V12 Liberty engined effort.

"BABS" by Vic Berris as posted page 59

#5037 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 19:43

Aha! :up:

We'll claim it as a variation though due to the slightly different type of 'white' background and a small blemish present 0.23mm from the right hand corner = A completely different work.

Edited by werks prototype, 27 May 2010 - 19:44.

#5038 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 00:11

Formula Opel by unknown artist

Posted Image

TNF Cutaway Index - updated - page 120 - post 4763

Edited by ibsenop, 28 May 2010 - 00:15.

#5039 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:51

Posted Image

I'm fairly sure that I have seen a Formula Vauxhall cutaway almost exactly like that - possibly by Paul Harmer (?) - certainly with a name under it. The line quality was better, I think this could be a copy modified to Opel spec., most likely done by someone other than the original illustrator, or it just lost it's clarity through multiple copying.

Edited to say thank you to Ibsen - ICI - Ibsen's Cutaway Index!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 28 May 2010 - 06:54.

Advertisement

#5040 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:35

Posted Image

another formula opel by another unknown artist
Posted Image

#5041 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:43

ferrari 625 by Paolo d'Alessio
Posted Image
renault by ETAI
Posted Image

#5042 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:45

Posted Image

That's a Betti!

#5043 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,075 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:56

Posted Image

I know this one. It's done (like almost every Opel cutaway I've seen) by Bruno Betti. The Bettis did a lot of work for Opel.
Opel used to have a very good company magazine titled 'start'. Almost each issue had a A1 format poster and most of those posters were cutaways by one or the other Betti.

BTW: are the Bettis brothers or father and son?

I wish I had an A1 scanner...:cry:...you would love it!

#5044 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:54

BTW: are the Bettis brothers or father and son?

Brothers, Bruno is the elder.

#5045 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:43

Posted Image

These are getting more and more unique. :up:

#5046 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 13:20

Posted Image
Williams FW20 P. D. Alessio (Very heavy of line :eek: )

#5047 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 14:01

Posted Image
Williams FW20 P. D. Alessio (Very heavy of line :eek: )

And very little, if any, perspective.

Edited by alansart, 28 May 2010 - 14:01.

#5048 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 14:11

I must admit to initially being baffled a little by the lower part of the rear wing. However, go easy, I have a feeling that it is my scanning that is the cause here. It was an absolute 'logistical' nightmare. I required a crane at one point.

Edited by werks prototype, 28 May 2010 - 14:12.

#5049 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 14:22

Sadly, a triumph of style over substance...

#5050 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 14:47

Back by popular demand, Mr D'Alessio and his magnificent F300!  ;)

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 28 May 2010 - 14:53.