Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13352 replies to this topic

#5601 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,600 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:12

Very nice. I initially thought you meant the larger Merlin XX by Clark. Is the illustration above museum based?

That's an impressive bit of work. It looks as if it is from a fairly early publication, too. Any details, Quintin?

Edited to say that it is, I think, unusual to see a cutaway from that period that doesn't have the cuts coloured red, something which I was never keen on, as it can over-power an illustration. Just my opinion...

I was with my Dad on a afternoon time killing for my wife's baby shower, and I saw this illustration in the window with the Rolls Royce Aero Engine at and War Museum in Joburg and I knew that people would enjoy that the drawing.

:wave: :)

Advertisement

#5602 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:21

I was with my Dad on a afternoon time killing for my wife's baby shower, and I saw this illustration in the window with the Rolls Royce Aero Engine at and War Museum in Joburg and I knew that people would enjoy that the drawing.

:wave: :)

Brilliant. It is a bit special. Typical of a museum piece. :up:

#5603 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 20:53

Posted Image
Un-raced Porsche-Interscope Indy car 1980. By Douglas Quinn

Edited by werks prototype, 23 July 2010 - 21:41.

#5604 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 21:04

Posted Image
NSU Wankel. By Schlenzig

Posted Image
Panhard-Levassor 1894. By C Baker and R J Way

Posted Image
Daimler Maybach V-Twin 1889. By C Baker and R John Way. Not a cutaway, although a small piece is cut from one of the valve rods. A nice interesting work though.

#5605 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 21:08

Posted Image
Rolls-Royce Nene 10. Early Jet. In house illustration, Rolls-Royce.

Posted Image
Rolls-Royce RB.211-524G. Jet. In house illustration, Rolls-Royce.

#5606 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 23:01

NSU RO 80 by unknown artist

Posted Image

NSU Wankel engine (NSU RO 80) by unknown artist

Posted Image

#5607 Motocar

Motocar

• 264 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 00:33

Posted Image

Danny Ongais, drived this car with the cosworth turbo DFY engine in Indy 500 miles 1981, no ending by crash, this drawings publish in the magazine Popular Mechanic, I have the photo to be terrific crash of Ongais

Edited by Motocar, 25 July 2010 - 13:45.

#5608 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 17:13

Posted Image

WP,
I know that this will shock you that I am not a big follower of the Indy car series, but I did have a passing interest in Danny Ongais because of his original connection to drag racing. I seemed to remember Interscope running a car with that extended body that I thought looked pretty much like that around that time. Remember it being black instead of white. Maybe the Porsche connection went somewhere else, but think that the project was actually run, even if the details were different.
Or, based on my current memory capability ... not.
Note that I got rid of an entire trash gondola full of old magazines when I was cutting down from the large 4-bedroom house, so much of that peripheral reference material was tossed. I kept most of the things that would have been of interest to this group (like anything with a cutaway in it), but doubt that you would have been aghast that I tossed years of Truckin', Import Cars, Street Rods and the like. Being in the modelkit industry, I had something like 30-35 magazines being delivered to the house every month, so it was a race between my wife getting pissed at the stack of unread magazines or my throwing all of them in a corner in the office until I took the opportunity to actually file them and put them in the attic ... only to be thrown out many years later.
Tom West

#5609 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 19:25

WP,
I know that this will shock you that I am not a big follower of the Indy car series, but I did have a passing interest in Danny Ongais because of his original connection to drag racing. I seemed to remember Interscope running a car with that extended body that I thought looked pretty much like that around that time. Remember it being black instead of white. Maybe the Porsche connection went somewhere else, but think that the project was actually run, even if the details were different.
Or, based on my current memory capability ... not.

Aha! :up: that seems to tally up with what Motocar is saying. It seems that perhaps they changed the engine and the project was salvaged. But you are adding a bit more authority to the story here with the Danny Ongais connection, so thanks.

Prompted by your own and Motocars comments I eventually found out a little more information here. http://photography-o...ad.php?t=575732

Note that I got rid of an entire trash gondola full of old magazines when I was cutting down from the large 4-bedroom house, so much of that peripheral reference material was tossed. I kept most of the things that would have been of interest to this group (like anything with a cutaway in it), but doubt that you would have been aghast that I tossed years of Truckin', Import Cars, Street Rods and the like. Being in the modelkit industry

Not necessarily Tom, there is little that I don't find intriguing in this respect. Like many I have a strange nostalgia for the 60's/70's US racing scenes despite not actually being there or around it.

I had something like 30-35 magazines being delivered to the house every month, so it was a race between my wife getting pissed at the stack of unread magazines or my throwing all of them in a corner in the office until I took the opportunity to actually file them and put them in the attic ... only to be thrown out many years later.
Tom West

You must have benefited from a lot of trade magazines then Tom, like all pro's, that must have been a great position to be in, once you have filtered through all the advertainment mags. There must have been one hell of a bump through the letter box each month. Can you remember the most bizarre or inappropriate (to your profession) industry or trade magazine that ever came through your door? I ask because my sister is a bit of a scribbler and she told me that after putting the feelers out and proposing an article on Sammy the Bull Gravano, a few weeks later she received a copy of "Pig International"!

#5610 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 19:37

Posted Image
Renault 12. Artist unknown/publicity material.

Posted Image
1966 Volvo Amazon. Artist unknown/publicity material.

Posted Image
1963 FIAT 1300-1500 layout. Artist unknown/publicity material.

#5611 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 00:59

Aha! :up: that seems to tally up with what Motocar is saying. It seems that perhaps they changed the engine and the project was salvaged. But you are adding a bit more authority to the story here with the Danny Ongais connection, so thanks.

Prompted by your own and Motocars comments I eventually found out a little more information here. http://photography-o...ad.php?t=575732

Not necessarily Tom, there is little that I don't find intriguing in this respect. Like many I have a strange nostalgia for the 60's/70's US racing scenes despite not actually being there or around it.

You must have benefited from a lot of trade magazines then Tom, like all pro's, that must have been a great position to be in, once you have filtered through all the advertainment mags. There must have been one hell of a bump through the letter box each month. Can you remember the most bizarre or inappropriate (to your profession) industry or trade magazine that ever came through your door? I ask because my sister is a bit of a scribbler and she told me that after putting the feelers out and proposing an article on Sammy the Bull Gravano, a few weeks later she received a copy of "Pig International"!

WP,
Being in that combination of modelkits, photos, cutaways, diecast, etc., I have always been getting a ton of magazines. I started cutting way back, and now only get a couple of photography magazines, and a couple of street rod magazines. I just dropped Air International because they dropped the monthly cutaway that they had published since 1972. I have every issue of the magazine until they stopped the drawings. Very little coming in, and don't miss it at all.
Never got anything really strange, to be honest. Wish I had a better story for you.
Tom

#5612 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 76 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 19:11

Hi to you all. I am humbly trying to make a start with cutaway race cars and have shown you some previous work. I managed to get photos from M-Sport and illustrate their Fiesta S2000 racing in the SWRC class now and which will be next years Ford's WRC car.

http://www.hubgarage.../photos/3229062

That is as much as permitted to illustratrate no details of the nice parts, engine, suspension etc.

My question to you all is. Are many of you still managing to persuade or get commissions from race teams to illustrate their cars. As not wanting to throw loads of time into something no longer required.

many thanks

Roy

#5613 Motocar

Motocar

• 264 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:40

off topic....I have two photographys this Danny Ongais car, race in Indy 500 edition 1981, one images is in the pit stop, the car is deep blue number 25 and other is the crash in this race, the pilot Ongais survivor with injuries.
Sorry my poor english
Posted Image
Crash secuence
Posted Image

Edited by Motocar, 26 July 2010 - 02:17.

#5614 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:04

They don't make 'em like they used to!

#5615 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 15:41

They don't make 'em like they used to!

Tony,
You can say that about cars and drivers, I think. The car was fairly successful in eliminating damage to Ongais, although it might have been different if it had been a flipping type of crash instead of a slider ... but it worked enough to get him out of the car. Looks like it got him out a bit early in the process.
As to the driver, I have seen him at various events around SoCal, and he seems to be just fine.
Tom West

#5616 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 15:58

Tony,
You can say that about cars and drivers, I think. The car was fairly successful in eliminating damage to Ongais, although it might have been different if it had been a flipping type of crash instead of a slider ... but it worked enough to get him out of the car. Looks like it got him out a bit early in the process.
As to the driver, I have seen him at various events around SoCal, and he seems to be just fine.
Tom West

Yes, a very lucky man! My first Indycar cutaway was the Penske PC6, an all-ali tub, and it was fascinating to see, over the next ten years, the gradual move from aluminium to full carbon. The ovals will always present a particular threat to man and machine with the high speeds, lack of run-off areas and concrete walls.

#5617 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 16:27

Yes, a very lucky man! My first Indycar cutaway was the Penske PC6, an all-ali tub, and it was fascinating to see, over the next ten years, the gradual move from aluminium to full carbon. The ovals will always present a particular threat to man and machine with the high speeds, lack of run-off areas and concrete walls.

Tony,
We have been going through a run of problems over here in drag racing, involving no turns or any of that type of thing. There are some rather large stopping devices involved, and most of the recent problems have involved trying to bring cars to a stop without chutes. Since that is the primary method to bring these things to a halt from 300+ mph runs, if they go, you aren't going to stop without hitting something rather substantial. We lost ex-Top Fuel Champion Scott Kalitta to an out of control stop when he launched into a camera position over the sandtrap after chute failure. A couple of weeks ago, we lost Alcohol Dragster pilot Mark Niver to a similar thing, at 50mph slower speeds. When you actually realize that the chutes aren't out, it doesn't leave one much time to contemplate corrective action, or one's life review, I have to think.
And, with the forces involved, the carbon Fibre structures would just 'grenade and leave nothing behind in those types of impacts.
I think that we will have to accept the idea that the human body, running into something in a relatively light structure, will probably eat a lot of shit when the collision is over 200mph. We have a lot of evolvin' to do before we will be able to handle that kind of thing reliably, I would think.
Fortunately, they don't take the NASCAR approach and keep adding tubing every time something happens, figuring that they fixed that specific problem for the next time. Ever wonder how they got to a 4000 pound race car with a '70s Chevelle front suspension and 73 Chevy Pickup rear suspension design? Talk about maxing out performance potential ... and add more tubes when they go faster.
That is part of the gladiator/knight concept of racing. Like the idea of those World War I pilots, that was elemental kill-or-get killed combat, and those guys really come off as heroes compared to the rest of our rather pussy societies that have come about. Racing has an element of that gunslinger mentality that has to be accepted; it isn't going to be made completely safe, as everyone else expects to be as they creampuff through life.
I don't celebrate the injuries and death, but the opportunity to make the decisions to take that risk, accepting the upside and the downside of their decisions.
Now, don't ask what the hell this has to do with cutaways ...
Sorry, I lost track of myself there.
Tom West

#5618 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 17:14

Now, don't ask what the hell this has to do with cutaways ...

I think we are allowed to wander OT every now and then, Tom, because we always come back! There must be an answer to the 'chute-related fatalities in drag racing, but 'adding tubes' isn't it. Perhaps the survival cell from hydroplane racing - it is possible for a fit, healthy human to survive huge peak g and survive, but a lot depends on the structure around said human. A clean-sheet solution is probably the only way to go, and it might need a mix of active and passive systems.

What we need is a 'Wish I was anywhere but here, now' button!

With regard to carbon in circuit racing, it took a long time to be accepted in F1, and longer still in Indycar, mainly because of the very different accident types on ovals. I have no idea what current Indycar tubs are like, but in 'my day' F1 tubs were effectively just carbon tubes, no full- or semi bulkheads, but Champcars were full of machined ali bulkheads, although they reduced in size and number eventually.

#5619 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 20:02

I think we are allowed to wander OT every now and then, Tom, because we always come back! There must be an answer to the 'chute-related fatalities in drag racing, but 'adding tubes' isn't it. Perhaps the survival cell from hydroplane racing - it is possible for a fit, healthy human to survive huge peak g and survive, but a lot depends on the structure around said human. A clean-sheet solution is probably the only way to go, and it might need a mix of active and passive systems.

What we need is a 'Wish I was anywhere but here, now' button!

With regard to carbon in circuit racing, it took a long time to be accepted in F1, and longer still in Indycar, mainly because of the very different accident types on ovals. I have no idea what current Indycar tubs are like, but in 'my day' F1 tubs were effectively just carbon tubes, no full- or semi bulkheads, but Champcars were full of machined ali bulkheads, although they reduced in size and number eventually.

An ejection seat!

(But perhaps not of this type) http://www.yikers.co...ction_seat.html

Advertisement

#5620 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 21:22

Posted Image
Ford Capri II By Terry Collins

Edited by werks prototype, 28 April 2012 - 19:53.

#5621 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 21:25

Posted Image
Matra Sports - Renault 1100 Four-stroke. Artist unknown. Robert Roux? Despite the 'absent' shadow!

#5622 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 21:33

Posted Image
Detroit V71 - Diesel motor. Publicity material. Artist unknown.

Posted Image
Ruston Portable 'Gas turbine' Generator. By Studio Warwickshire.

#5623 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 21:41

An ejection seat!

(But perhaps not of this type) http://www.yikers.co...ction_seat.html

Actually, I think you had it earlier in your musings ... something like the transporter in Star Trek. It would be the "Beam-me-up-Scotty" button, but it would have you preset so if anything happens, ZAP, you are outa there. I think you have something here, and it would apply to many situations in racing and in life. Every husband would be issued one, everyone entering a hospital or a dentist's office ... can only imagine the applications for this concept. Now, the trick is defining the landing spot ...
Tom West

#5624 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 21:51

Actually, I think you had it earlier in your musings ... something like the transporter in Star Trek. It would be the "Beam-me-up-Scotty" button, but it would have you preset so if anything happens, ZAP, you are outa there. I think you have something here, and it would apply to many situations in racing and in life. Every husband would be issued one, everyone entering a hospital or a dentist's office ... can only imagine the applications for this concept. Now, the trick is defining the landing spot ...
Tom West

And making sure it is a 'local' extraction. You wouldn't want to take the dental surgery with you!

#5625 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 23:58

Posted Image
Matra Sports - Renault 1100 Four-stroke. Artist unknown. Robert Roux? Despite the 'absent' shadow!

Matra Sports Djet chassis drawing by unknown artist and photo - from the web

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by ibsenop, 27 July 2010 - 00:00.

#5626 Motocar

Motocar

• 264 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:02

The new post "The Old is New......" Airless Safety Tire Invented by J. V. Martin
Posted Image

#5627 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:07

My question to you all is. Are many of you still managing to persuade or get commissions from race teams to illustrate their cars. As not wanting to throw loads of time into something no longer required.

I can only tell you about my experience, Roy, but I think you will find that others can tell similar tales. I started, with an apprenticeship to James Allington, in 1960/61, and his small studio was always fairly busy, but the cutaways were not the bread-and-butter work, it was generally much less interesting - unless, like me, you just enjoy drawing things.

Ten years later I was at Motor Sport/Motoring News, where cutaways took about half my time, and five years later I was freelance, and cutaways took even more of my time, but still not 100%. The situation remained like that for the next twenty seven years, when it all began to change. In my case it was as much to do with my regular clients' fortunes changing. This meant less work, and for less money! I found that if one team had a cutaway and used it well, other teams were inclined to say 'me too!' The reverse also applied, if a regular client decided not to have a cutaway, their competitors usually declined too.

Ultimately, although there were still occasional commissions, I decided that I'd had enough, and unlike others who post here, I didn't want to go digital. I was also fed up with sitting down all the time!

I could still be illustrating, although not to commission, or very rarely, but I don't think there is sufficient demand for prints to make it worthwhile, and after decades of illustrating there isn't the same passion to draw and paint. However, if you are desperately keen to do it, and can combine it with another source of income, you might make a go of it. You never know, you might corner the market!

#5628 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 16:49

I can only tell you about my experience, Roy, but I think you will find that others can tell similar tales. I started, with an apprenticeship to James Allington, in 1960/61, and his small studio was always fairly busy, but the cutaways were not the bread-and-butter work, it was generally much less interesting - unless, like me, you just enjoy drawing things.

Ten years later I was at Motor Sport/Motoring News, where cutaways took about half my time, and five years later I was freelance, and cutaways took even more of my time, but still not 100%. The situation remained like that for the next twenty seven years, when it all began to change. In my case it was as much to do with my regular clients' fortunes changing. This meant less work, and for less money! I found that if one team had a cutaway and used it well, other teams were inclined to say 'me too!' The reverse also applied, if a regular client decided not to have a cutaway, their competitors usually declined too.

Ultimately, although there were still occasional commissions, I decided that I'd had enough, and unlike others who post here, I didn't want to go digital. I was also fed up with sitting down all the time!

I could still be illustrating, although not to commission, or very rarely, but I don't think there is sufficient demand for prints to make it worthwhile, and after decades of illustrating there isn't the same passion to draw and paint. However, if you are desperately keen to do it, and can combine it with another source of income, you might make a go of it. You never know, you might corner the market!

Tony,
I was waiting to see if you answered that question, as you seemed to be the best to have the experience of having done it full-time. This has always been a very secondary thing in the overall scheme of things for me. I think that, if someone really has a taste for it, they should go for it, even if it is just for themselves to begin. If you think you are going to jump in and create a market, the correct term would be re-create a market, as this has really fallen off. The magazines that have always been the mainstay of this stuff have cut back on what they are spending for their pages of material, and sponsors find less use for this now that they have gotten out of the habit of building cutaways into their plans.
Good to see your insight on this.
As you have seen, my interests are a bit more diverted from this nowadays, and it has become much more fun ... and pretty much pays about the same ...
Tom West

#5629 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 00:07

Posted Image

Matra Bonnet Sport Djet by Robert Roux - with shadow and without annotations.

Posted Image

TNF Cutaway Index - updated - page 140 - post 5566

Edited by ibsenop, 28 July 2010 - 00:12.

#5630 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:47

Good find and confirmation Ibsen. :up: I had a feeling that the shadow and signature were missing in action.

Edited by werks prototype, 28 July 2010 - 23:07.

#5631 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:56

Posted Image
1959 Mini. By Dick Ellis.

#5632 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:58

Posted Image
8-cylinder Dual-Purpose Brough Superior. By John Ferguson

#5633 Motocar

Motocar

• 264 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 17:17

Posted Image
1959 Mini. By Dick Ellis.

The Mini, one Small Giant in the history of car, today continue......

#5634 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,070 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:00

Webfinds!!

The Twini-Mini:
Posted Image
No artist name or signature. And sorry for the tremendous size of it.

A Honda engine for trimmers or roto tillers:
Posted Image

Posted Image

The Citroen GS Birotor:
Posted Image

Edited by Duc-Man, 29 July 2010 - 10:03.

#5635 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:39

I suspect that most people either forget, or are unaware, that John Campbell Jones was very involved with the Paul Emery Twini Mini when it was being developed
Roger Lund

#5636 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 20:42

Sticking with Issigonis, The Lightweight Special again, slightly larger, plus an additional amount of 'pictorial journalism'.

Posted Image
The Lightweight Special. By John Ferguson.

Posted Image
Lightweight Special Swing axle rear suspension complete with rubber bands.

Posted Image
Lightweight Special's Independent front suspension workings.

Posted Image
Design sketch specifying the amount and type of material to be used in the construction of the Lightweight Special. Drawn By Sir Alec Issigonis.

Edited by werks prototype, 29 July 2010 - 22:36.

#5637 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 22:52

Hello gents !

I see you have all been enjoying and behaving yourselves !
I have as well ! :well: I have very soft dishwash hands now !......I know how to iron a shirt without leaving a big burn mark (is that a pun ?) :p
The wheelchair is being sent back this week-end.
Cycling and long walks are on for the lady of the house.
Everything is going well. :drunk:
Thanks all for the pm's and mails :up:
My son..the tall guy ...loves my curry's .....ahhh the home life ! :stoned:

Glad to come back to Chopaway land again though and thought I'd land in with a Lauwrence Watts.
It has been posted before but small size
This is from the David Dixon biography on Laurie...the Panther 6 wheel job
Posted Image

#5638 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 22:57

Hello gents !

I see you have all been enjoying and behaving yourselves !
I have as well ! :well: I have very soft dishwash hands now !......I know how to iron a shirt without leaving a big burn mark (is that a pun ?) :p
The wheelchair is being sent back this week-end.
Cycling and long walks are on for the lady of the house.
Everything is going well. :drunk:
Thanks all for the pm's and mails :up:
My son..the tall guy ...loves my curry's .....ahhh the home life ! :stoned:

Glad to come back to Chopaway land again though and thought I'd land in with a Lauwrence Watts.
It has been posted before but small size
This is from the David Dixon biography on Laurie...the Panther 6 wheel job
Posted Image

Great stuff! :up:

#5639 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 23:13

I wasn't sure, but Ibsen confirmed it when he sent me the Kimble calender
This is David Kimble's Toyota MR2
Posted Image

Advertisement

#5640 Motocar

Motocar

• 264 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:46

The new Mustang engine, Tree valve per cylinder, design by Ford
Posted Image

The tree rotor Mazda Cosmos, Wankel engine, 20B-REW 3a-
Posted Image

Edited by Motocar, 30 July 2010 - 18:16.

#5641 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:24

Talking about two engines...never heard or seen anything about this one:

Posted Image
Drawing by Bruno Betti!
And here is an Autocar article about it.

Volkswagen had appearently also a Jetta and two RallyGolf with two engines. One of the Golfs ran at Pike's Peak in '87.
Seat had a Ibiza bimotor that was (IIRC) for group b/s.

And then there was the brasilian 'Over-Bug':
Posted Image

#5642 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,802 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:30

Posted Image

What is really curious about this drawing is that on the background you dee another car that appears to have a fourcylinder Offy engine, it looks much like a Lightning or a Wildcat.
But the curious part is, it is a red number 14, thus making it an A.J. Foyt car!
And I think that A.J. is one of only a very few drivers, if not the only USAC drivers ever who, (at least to my knowledge) in the years of the turbo Offy never, ever drove a turbo Offy but always a Ford Quadcam, either atmo or turbocharged!!!

The Interscope, of course, ran one and two years later with Cosworth DFX power, driven by Danny Ongais In '81 he had the horrible crash in the car of which it was a sheer miracle that he survived.

That is what I like to add to this very interesting drawing.

Henri

Edited by Henri Greuter, 30 July 2010 - 09:33.

#5643 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 13:46

The reappearance of the 11, with a little more information.
Posted Image
Lotus MK.XI Le Mans. Prototype (Exhaust system in a channel). By Theo Page.

Posted Image
Lotus MK.XI Le Mans, Detail.

#5644 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 14:13

Hillman IMP engine and gearbox cutaway by Bennett.

Posted Image

He must have had a cricked neck when he drew it. The inclination is wrong
Roger Lund

#5645 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 14:16

[quote name='werks prototype' date='Jul 29 2010, 21:42' post='4511804']
Sticking with Issigonis,
Posted Image
Lightweight Special's Independent front suspension workings. /quote]

It is well known that I am not an engineer, but is this not very similar to the Mercedes W25 shown on page 131? Where does the damper fasten, btw?
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 30 July 2010 - 14:19.

#5646 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 15:59

The new Mustang engine, Tree valve per cylinder, design by Ford
Posted Image
the rotor Mazda Cosmos Wankel engine, 20B-REW 3a-
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

clickable now ?

Edited by macoran, 30 July 2010 - 16:07.

#5647 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 16:15

He must have had a cricked neck when he drew it. The inclination is wrong
Roger Lund

Done, I imagine, so that the engine was easier to illustrate, Roger, and sometimes a bit of lateral thinking helps. In this case, I would rather have seen the engine inclined and a different viewpoint chosen. C'est la vie, as we don't say in 'ertfordshire.

#5648 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 17:56

Sticking with Issigonis,
Posted Image
Lightweight Special's Independent front suspension workings. /quote]

It is well known that I am not an engineer, but is this not very similar to the Mercedes W25 shown on page 131? Where does the damper fasten, btw?
Roger Lund

I think that is an astute observation. Ahead of a proper engineer weighing in (Where is the engineers eye when you need it), you may find the following snippets of text interesting regarding the similarity of the Lightweight Special to certain design features of both the W.25 and the smaller and lighter German Imperia of 1935 (Rear suspension).

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5649 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 17:58

http://a.imageshack....3/n805dfweb.jpg
Here's a cutaway of a Pitts Model 12 I just did using the client's particular paint scheme and graphics. It was entirely created in Photoshop using mostly the Airbrush tool.

#5650 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 18:48

Talking about two engines...never heard or seen anything about this one:

Posted Image
Drawing by Bruno Betti!
And here is an Autocar article about it.

Volkswagen had appearently also a Jetta and two RallyGolf with two engines. One of the Golfs ran at Pike's Peak in '87.
Seat had a Ibiza bimotor that was (IIRC) for group b/s.

And then there was the brasilian 'Over-Bug':
Posted Image

I have been Photoshopping again
Posted Image

... but nothing to compare with Tom Johnson's recent offering, which is brilliant - I wouldn't know where to start even!