The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13352 replies to this topic

#5701 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:38

Now why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:

You probably hadn't reached the level of 'pissed-offedness' that I had. Given time, I'm sure you would have come up with a solution. I would work with tunnel vision for hours, zoomed in working on details only to zoom out to admire my progress and discover the drawing out of whack and the VP's shifted all over the page. At first, I blamed Vista, but when I placed the reference grid under the drawing, that's when my careless selection of the entire line instead of the its end point became clear.

Advertisement

#5702 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 16:02

Now, strangely, that doesn't happen with black cotton thread and a drawing pin! ;)

#5703 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 16:52

Now, strangely, that doesn't happen with black cotton thread and a drawing pin! ;)

Excellent point, Tony.

#5704 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 19:38

Excellent point, Tony.

Thanks for the reminder of how all those classic illustrations have been done. I am enjoying everything that Tom has put up here, and am quite impressed by the results and the techniques .. especially in the fact that he pretty much taught himself how to do this. I have worked on a straight cutaway (b&w) of a car and am just so slow at it that I can't believe anyone does it this way; just drawing the damned thing goes so much more quickly, it seems.
Then, you get the comment about thread and string and realize how this all came about, and I think back to being almost giddy every time one of Tony's drawings showed up in magazine. There seem to be many satisfactory ways to skin this cat and get very happy results.
Thanks for the sharing of that technical information. Not sure I have much practical use, but it is great to see how others accomplish some great work.
Tom West

#5705 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 19:59

I am a bit biased here, because it is something I am reading about at the moment.
Posted Image
1932 Brough Superior BS Four. Drawn by Max Millar.

I have no bias with this one, I just luv it !
Is the rest of it available ?

Sorry I am not posting at the moment, but I am reworking some central divides on scans which have just come in

Edited by macoran, 02 August 2010 - 20:07.

#5706 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 20:08

Not sure I have much practical use, but it is great to see how others accomplish some great work.
Tom West

Exactly, Tom. It is fascinating to see how it is done, even though we may never do it. I will probably never illustrate again - probably - but if I do it will be the only way I know. I just don't like working on a screen all the time, and I am not inclined to learn, although twenty five years ago it might have been different. I miss the feel of pencil on paper or film, the scratch of a pen and the actual process of painting with a brush or, not so much, an airbrush. However, digital is the way to go unless you are being self indulgent, or illustrating is a hobby, not a job.

#5707 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 20:10

Sorry I am not posting at the moment, but I am reworking some central divides on scans which have just come in

Nose to the grindstone, eh? That's what I like to hear!

#5708 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 20:25

Unless the drawing pin falls out of it's hole or the wife nicks it to stick in something else (which happened more than once!).

#5709 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 20:33

Well then you are reduced to eye-balling, Alan!

#5710 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:15

Two Rolls-Royces. The Silver Ghost, credited to Jeremy Gower:

Posted Image

and Phantom III (Inkwell Studios):

Posted Image

#5711 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:18

OK, Folks. I don't think that I have put this stuff up previously, but I had it sitting ready to go and thought I would put it out there ... or put it out again.
I am starting with a David Kimble illustration of the Corvette C5-R as it ran at LeMans, 2000. I have a small print of it, but I know it was printed somewhere as well. There was another later version of this road race car up here earlier.
Tom West

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#5712 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:24

This is one of those classic training cars out of the 50s. The Jordan Special copied the English Cooper. The Jordan F3 illustration from Clarence LaTourette is out of 1957, but I do not have the publication shown here for some reason.
Tom West

Posted Image

#5713 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:28

This is a classic LSR car that was crashed at Daytona Beach in the surf as it ran with Frank Lockhard in 1928. This is the Clarence LaTourette illustration of the Stutz Blackhawk. Again, I am not sure why I don't have the magazine recorded with this file.
Tom West

Posted Image

#5714 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:31

William Moore did this layered version of the TVR in Sports Car Graphic for the January, 1964 issue.
I was honored to follow Moore, and the initial artist, Steve Swaja, in doing the Car Craft Cutaway of the Month series.
Tom West

Posted Image

#5715 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:35

I have some prints of Shin Yoshikawa illustrations, and thought this might work for everyone. There are a few of these to come, so I hope they are helpful for the furtherance of the art's history ... as always. This is the Alfa Romeo TZ1.

Posted Image

#5716 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:37

Another Yoshikawa illustration ... which is available in different sized through his website, I might add. This is the beautiful Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic Coupe.

Posted Image

#5717 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:39

One of those truly classic sports cars, the Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa from the pens of Shin Yoshikawa.

Posted Image

#5718 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:40

This is a classic LSR car that was crashed at Daytona Beach in the surf as it ran with Frank Lockhard in 1928. This is the Clarence LaTourette illustration of the Stutz Blackhawk. Again, I am not sure why I don't have the magazine recorded with this file.
Tom West

It probably featured in an issue of SCG Tom, but in Sports Car Illustrated as well, issue December 1958...if I recall you once writing :p

#5719 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:41

The Shin Yoshikawa version of the Ferrari 360 Modena Coupe.
Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#5720 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:43

The amazing Ferrari F50 from Shin Yoshikawa. Check his website to pick up copies of these drawings in various sizes. Some cool stuff, and a nice range of subjects.

Posted Image

#5721 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:45

One of my favorite cars of all time, the Ford GT40 ... basis for those historic LeMans cars out of the blue oval company.
Tom West

Posted Image

#5722 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:47

Shin Yoshikawa's illustration of the Pushrod engined Lotus 23 Sports racer.
Tom West

Posted Image

#5723 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:49

Another of the beautiful Italian road cars, the Maserati 3200GT from Shin Yoshikawa.

Posted Image

#5724 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:51

That classic birdcage Maserati, the Type 61, from Shin Yoshikawa.
Tom West

Posted Image

#5725 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:53

The classic Mercedes-Benz W196 Grand Prix car from Shin Yoshikawa.
Tom West

Posted Image

#5726 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:55

Another racing classic, the Porsche 917 Kurz ... think that means the short-tailed ...
From Shin Yoshikawa.
Tom West

Posted Image

#5727 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:58

Running this one, in spite of the fact that it has been up previously. Does appear to have a bit shorter wheelbase than it should, and reminds me of a caricature of an old Aurora A/FX car, but what the heck? The Porsche 935/78, better known as the whale-tail, or Moby Dick, as Mr. Y titled it. From Shin Yoshikawa.
Tom West

Posted Image

#5728 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 23:01

Another unique subject from Shin Yoshikawa, the Rolls Royce Silver Ghost AX201.
There are a wide range of these things available for sale through his website, so you may want to check them out just to complete a collection, add some unique subjects to your cutaway set, or whatever.
Tom West

Posted Image

#5729 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 23:08

Going to throw a couple of my old pieces up here for s---ts and giggles ...
This is one that I always liked back in the day, long history, and built by a good friend of mine who is now gone. I do see Don Cook every once in a while at an event now and then. This is the Don Cook Damn Yankee Barracuda Funny Car.

Posted Image

#5730 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 23:10

Tom, when you post, you POST! Thanks.

#5731 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 23:11

Among the more successful cars in the history of drag racing, Don Garlits Swamp Rat XXX won three World Championships, and had a series of unique features to it. This particular illustration ended up in the Smithsonian Institution display of the car for many years and the center of the entire backdrop for the car ... which I thought was pretty cool stuff.

Posted Image

#5732 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 23:13

Tom, when you post, you POST! Thanks.

What Tony said !!! I thought I was going to have a reasonably quiet evening.....I was having trouble keeping up !!!

#5733 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 23:17

Among the more successful cars in the history of drag racing, Don Garlits Swamp Rat XXX won three World Championships, and had a series of unique features to it. This particular illustration ended up in the Smithsonian Institution display of the car for many years and the center of the entire backdrop for the car ... which I thought was pretty cool stuff.

I always thought it was called the Smithsonian Institute !.........but I have checked,
funny Institution seems to have a....hmmm ...ring to it .

#5734 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 23:23

... Institution seems to have a....hmmm ...ring to it .

I managed to get out of the Institution by pretending to take the medication and keeping my nose clean...still got the jacket as a souvenir!

#5735 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 23:51

I always thought it was called the Smithsonian Institute !.........but I have checked,
funny Institution seems to have a....hmmm ...ring to it .

Marc,
It is indeed Smithsonian Institution ... I signed a license for the use of some of their aircraft and the logo and everything when I was the Director of Marketing with Revell, and later had that illustration in there, so I got used to saying the full version of the name. If you haven't gone, you need to go as this is one of the coolest places I have ever seen.
Of course, that would entail most of you coming to the Colonies ... :)
Tom West

#5736 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 23:53

What Tony said !!! I thought I was going to have a reasonably quiet evening.....I was having trouble keeping up !!!

I just got into the mood to make up for lost time. I won't ever be the most consistent to add material, but will try to catch up on occasion. Thanks for everyone's patience with my technique ...
Tom West

#5737 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,156 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:39

Something a little different. I saw a Coors Light #40 NASCAR stock car promotional mirriored cutaway today while having lunch at a local rib bar. I didn't have my camera with me. It is about 2 x 4 feet in size and quite unique. I've never seen another like it. I'll try to remember my camera next time.

#5738 Motocar

Motocar

• 264 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:05

Now with text in english and color Discard Car or "$ 4000 Throwaway Car" Popular mechanics february 1983, concepts inspiration of Tata Nano
Part 1
Posted Image
Part 2
Posted Image
Part 3
Posted Image
Part 4
Posted Image

#5739 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 13:55

I just got into the mood to make up for lost time. I won't ever be the most consistent to add material, but will try to catch up on occasion. Thanks for everyone's patience with my technique ...
Tom West

:eek: Jeepers Tom :up: What a contribution. I've never seen anything like it. I'm running out of superlatives here, but I would say you have given me and many others I'm sure a very very welcome case of 'information-overload' already these past few days. It is going to take me ages to work through scrutinizing this lot. Another thing, I don't know what type of scanner you use, but the clarity of some of these cutaways is simply astonishing! As always, magnificent selection. Thanks! :up:

Edited by werks prototype, 03 August 2010 - 14:11.

Advertisement

#5740 DHFiallo

DHFiallo

• 69 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 15:02

I only use a mouse. A wacom tablet is really the way to go, but I started with just the mouse and am used to it. Here's an in-progress work of an IO-360 Lycoming aircraft engine being rendered (all 2-D) in PS.

http://a.imageshack....v8progress1.gif

That is stunning. As we say here in the deep south, "I'd give my right nut" to be able to draw like that. Great job!

#5741 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 15:57

I have no bias with this one, I just luv it !
Is the rest of it available ?

It wasn't I'm afraid Marc. That is all there was to scan as it were. There must be a complete version out there somewhere.

I can offer this, by way of compensation.

Posted Image
1939 Brough Superior Dream. Drawn by Leslie Cresswell.

Posted Image
Brough Superior Golden Dream engine. Transverse flat-four OHV 996cc 1938. Drawn by John Ferguson.

#5742 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 15:57

:eek: Jeepers Tom :up: What a contribution. I've never seen anything like it. I'm running out of superlatives here, but I would say you have given me and many others I'm sure a very very welcome case of 'information-overload' already these past few days. It is going to take me ages to work through scrutinizing this lot. Another thing, I don't know what type of scanner you use, but the clarity of some of these cutaways is simply astonishing! As always, magnificent selection. Thanks! :up:

Werks, Thanks for your comments. To answer the question, I have a Canon Canoscan that is probably about 5 years old, so not the latest of equipment. Part of the advantage is doing the magazine scans very large, so the minimum size that I have on the original files will be probably 300 dpi, at 11x17. I bring them down to 2000 pixels wide to post; still large enough to look OK, but not so massive a file to deal with. The originals, which would be something like 5000-6000 pixels wide, are better to clean up and pull all the holes out from the magazine wear over the years.
Another feature on those Yoshikawa prints is that I have the original prints, which appear to be litho on high gloss, so they can come up to the larger size fairly well.
Still have a bunch of half-drawings in a file to be assembled when I get the chance, but am on the downhill side. May have to pick up on those old Xerox copies, but not sure how those will hold up. Guess if they come back down again, they will be OK, but not promising the absolute best there ... at least they will be new material for everyone. Even have all of those Haynes covers copied to work with ... wish I had held onto them, but not sure where that would have been possible. I have close to 500 of those copied, almost all of them Terry Davey illustrations.
Tom West

#5743 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 16:01

That is stunning. As we say here in the deep south, "I'd give my right nut" to be able to draw like that. Great job!

Having tried to create a cutaway in Photoshop, I have to say that I am very impressed with those illustrations from our Mr. Johnson. I know there is a shift in thought needed, but I was trying to draw like I would have on paper (at least mentally), and it is much more complicated than it should be. At least I think it is. Takes forever, can tell you that.
As to being in the Deep South, where might that be? I have a 5'10" blonde model who is trying to convince me to move to Ashville ... so she can introduce me to her friends (unfortunately ...).
Will end up with some pics of a few of these ladies up on Facebook at some point ... maybe Tony can verify that this is going on ...
Tom West

#5744 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 16:02

Going to throw a couple of my old pieces up here for s---ts and giggles ...
This is one that I always liked back in the day, long history, and built by a good friend of mine who is now gone. I do see Don Cook every once in a while at an event now and then. This is the Don Cook Damn Yankee Barracuda Funny Car.

Posted Image

Have you ever illustrated one of these cars with the parachute deployed Tom?

Edited by werks prototype, 03 August 2010 - 16:04.

#5745 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 16:16

Have you ever illustrated one of these cars with the parachute deployed Tom?

Never did that because the car would get so small for the size of the illustration that you would start having to give up details too much without making the thing massive ... then you would end up losing it in reproduction. I had one that I did on a street rod, done for the builder of the car, and it really turned out nicely. Fairly large piece for me, right on 40-inches long. It would up getting printed in Hot Rod (which is sort of a big deal here because of the highest circ in automotive books), and they ran it 2-columns wide ... like a large postage stamp, it appeared. The thing looked cool, but to have one of these things used for a layout device seemed to be a waste.
Not sure what that had to do with the parachute question ... but, I have also never done one with the body up, as that seemed to be the easy way to do this and didn't give the idea of looking through it, as any zippy with a camera could have given the viewer the same information for the ink space.
Interesting question, however.
Tom West

#5746 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 20:44

Never did that because the car would get so small for the size of the illustration

Of course! :stoned: I never considered that. :up: (The curse of my amateur eye strikes again!)

#5747 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 21:36

Now with text in english and color Discard Car or "$ 4000 Throwaway Car" Popular mechanics february 1983, concepts inspiration of Tata Nano
Part 1
Posted ImagePosted Image
Part 2
Posted ImagePosted Image
Part 3
Posted ImagePosted Image
Part 4
Posted ImagePosted Image

Just making it clickable for all to enjoy

Edited by macoran, 05 August 2010 - 21:00.

#5748 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 22:31

Will end up with some pics of a few of these ladies up on Facebook at some point ... maybe Tony can verify that this is going on ...

Yep.

#5749 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 23:23

Running this one, in spite of the fact that it has been up previously. Does appear to have a bit shorter wheelbase than it should, and reminds me of a caricature of an old Aurora A/FX car, but what the heck? The Porsche 935/78, better known as the whale-tail, or Moby Dick, as Mr. Y titled it. From Shin Yoshikawa.
Tom West

Tom,

I agree, this one like much too distorted, with oversized wheels (especially in the front) and a squashed wheelbase.

Do you have his 917/30 image? I never bought it because it looked to me that is was too distorted, especially around the rear tail wing area.

Edited by Cam2InfoNeeded, 03 August 2010 - 23:26.

#5750 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 23:58

Tom,

I agree, this one like much too distorted, with oversized wheels (especially in the front) and a squashed wheelbase.

Do you have his 917/30 image? I never bought it because it looked to me that is was too distorted, especially around the rear tail wing area.

The other 917 print that I have is the one above it, the short-tail coupe. Not sure of the number designation. I have copies of some more, but nothing scanned, or from the prints. If I get over to Autobooks in Burbank, I may take another run through the book and see what is in there again.
Tom West