Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13414 replies to this topic

#5751 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:43

Ok, how about a couple of rather different drawings for today ... might as well do some while I am in the mood. I am starting with the initial Chevrolet Corvair, a car with a very sketchy reputation and history. When I started working at the GM Assembly plant in Van Nuys, we were building the full sized Impala and Corvairs on the same line, which made for some very strange mistakes on occasion.
This is the Clarence LaTourette illustration of the bathtub Corvair, out of Sports Car Illustrated from November of 1959.
Tom West

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement

#5752 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:56

This is another LaTourette illustration out of Sports Car Illustrated on the Cooper Climax Formula 2 from December, 1959,
Tom West

Posted Image

#5753 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,082 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:40

Ok, how about a couple of rather different drawings for today ... might as well do some while I am in the mood. I am starting with the initial Chevrolet Corvair, a car with a very sketchy reputation and history. When I started working at the GM Assembly plant in Van Nuys, we were building the full sized Impala and Corvairs on the same line, which made for some very strange mistakes on occasion.
Tom West

I would love to see some of those mistakes... :rotfl:
From what I read about the Corvair it were mostly the cars at the upper end of the power scale that were 'dangerous' due to be rear engined cars in combination with 'unexpirienced' drivers . Specially the turbo version and that young lawyer that wanted to get somewhere ruined the reputation of the car.
The first Porsche 911 were similar and they were called 'Heckschleuder' for a reason.

#5754 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:57

When I started working at the GM Assembly plant in Van Nuys, we were building the full sized Impala and Corvairs on the same line, which made for some very strange mistakes on occasion.

"Now the headlights, that was another sight,
We had one on the left and two on the right,
But when we pulled the switch, all three of 'em came on!"

From memory, so possibly slightly wrong - thanks to Johnny Cash.

#5755 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,677 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:18

Did you stick around to work on the Nova Tom? If so, this rather poor quality image of the straight 4 may well be familiar.

Posted Image
Chevy Nova Straight 4. Artist unknown.

#5756 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,677 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:36

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

As discussed Roger. The remainder of the text relating to Issigonis's Lightweight 'Very' Special.

Posted Image
And the drawing of the Imperia Coupe 'rear independent suspension' of 1935, thought to have been the inspiration for the Lightweight Special's swing axle rear suspension with 'rubber bands' below.

Posted Image

#5757 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,677 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:41

Posted Image
1948 Morris Minor. Drawn by Max Millar.

Posted Image
Morris Minor Independent torsion bar front suspension. Artist unknown.

#5758 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 15:50

I would love to see some of those mistakes... :rotfl:
From what I read about the Corvair it were mostly the cars at the upper end of the power scale that were 'dangerous' due to be rear engined cars in combination with 'unexpirienced' drivers . Specially the turbo version and that young lawyer that wanted to get somewhere ruined the reputation of the car.
The first Porsche 911 were similar and they were called 'Heckschleuder' for a reason.

As with the VW, and any other swing-axle rear-engined cars, the Corvair could get dicey if you let the tire pressure go extremely low. If you start pushing them, or hit a curb, it would have enough angle to the road surface that the tire would demount or roll over. Then Ralph Nader found his dream cause as a lawyer and put out the book Unsafe at Any Speed. This went back to attack that Corvair and its "intentionally" dangerous design (completely ignoring every other car that had this design), and publishing without mention of the fact that the rear suspension had been redesigned and was probably one of the better on the roads (in the US, anyway). The US public tends to be fairly uninformed on technical things, and bought into the concept illustrations showing the swing axles hanging down out of the car as being almost plan drawings, which would indicate that they certainly would roll over the tires. This ignored that if you actually had shock absorbers connected, the roll was actually limited to something like 5°, not the 40° than showed in the illustration used.
He had a bunch of other things in there that had also been corrected and improved, ignoring that you put out a design with the state of the art, but when you look back you obviously know a lot more than ten or 20 years in the past. And, this guy runs for president as a reformer every four years ...
May not be that much worse than what we currently have ... but I digress.
Those later Corvairs were actually pretty decent cars, but, as you indicated, they could be dangerous in the hands of people who thought a Buick Roadmaster was a great handling car. When I was about 10, our family went on a brief trip with a friend who had a new Roadmaster. I am sitting in the front seat of this behemoth watching the proud new owner struggling with that riverboat-sized steering wheel to get the thing through gentle curves, seeing it roll out of every slight turn, and having to phone ahead when you wanted to stop the thing. And, everyone was talking about how well it held the road. I was thinking that something was wrong when everyone thought that was great roadholding, when all indications seemed to show just the opposite. talk about the Emperor's New Clothes.
FYI, when I got my ME-Automotive Degree, my specialty was suspension layout and design ... all thanks to that great handling Roadmaster ...
On that Corvair, the most stupid mis-assemble that I saw was when an Impala roof was actually wedged onto the top of a Corvair body on the Third Shift. Looked a bit like a metal mushroom with that pagoda top on it. It was right at the of the production run, which was ending just as I started at the Van Nuys plant.
Tom West

#5759 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 16:03

[quote name='werks prototype' date='Aug 4 2010, 05:18' post='4529284']
Did you stick around to work on the Nova Tom? If so, this rather poor quality image of the straight 4 may well be familiar.

While I was in school and working there, we did that whole Nova series for a while, and actually ended up being the top quality and efficiency rated plant in the entire GM Assembly Division group. The design of all of the "smaller" cars was just a downsizing of the concept for the larger B-bodies, so the X always came off as cheap in comparison, while it really wasn't. The evolution from those land yachts of the 50s and 60s made everyone think anything smaller was chintzy, and, by comparison, the US cars pretty much were. And, because we had just risen to a newly attained world prominence, we must have been doing everything right ... there was no need to change until the VW and the Toyotas came in and started really shaking things up.
The response was interesting from GM to counter it, especially in-house, but that is another subject.
We also ended up building the Chevelle and the F body platforms (Firebird and Camaro), so I got a look at quite a few series of cars during my 7 years there.
Tom West

Advertisement

#5760 pHguest

pHguest

• 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 21:29

Esteemed gentlemen;

I registered just in order to thank you for the wonderful pictures you are putting out here on this forum.

I have always been an aviation man, but recently I got interested in F1 cars when a chance meeting made me aware that their design (aerodynamics, technology) is as sophisticated at that of airplanes. I looked into it a bit and got caught, started to comb Internet for info and pictures of older cars and eventually stumbled over this forum. What a treasure trove it is! Looking at the innards of F1 cars it would seem indeed that the art of their design proceeded along the same path as with airplanes, just with some time lag. Fascinating! Again, thanks for all the wonderful pictures.

Actually, I could not help but also got to reading some of the discussion and I feel sorry I do not have time for another hobby. I have always been interested in things technical and I have been drawing a lot since I was a kid (lately I doodle during meetings, mostly airplanes and landscapes) and creating a cutaway picture seems like something I would greatly enjoy if I had the time. Oh well.

As a parting shot I would like to throw in a topic for possible discussion, if you care. Looking over the F1 cars I have a strong feeling that they have been most interesting in 70's and 80's, when they did not really know what they were doing with aerodynamics and imagination ran wild. Then it got boring, better understanding and computer simulations restricted choices and I have a strong feeling that if you took all types from a particular season (say, 2005) and painted them the same, very few people would be actually able to tell them apart, which is definitely not true for the 70's/early 80's F1 cars.

At the other end there are 50's, I have trouble telling cars apart and even on the Internet I sometimes find conflicting info about a certain photo. There were no colorful liveries to help and to make things worse, teams seem to have been tinkering seriously with cars all the time, changing exhausts and body shapes and even engines from race to race, leaving very few visual markers constant to help identifying cars. Now I wonder whether it is me as a beginner or perhaps it was really such a jungle? Some of you seem to be familiar with cars of those times, when you see a B/W photo of some 50's or 60's race car, can you tell its maker and type?

#5761 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 22:42

I have always been interested in things technical and I have been drawing a lot since I was a kid (lately I doodle during meetings, mostly airplanes and landscapes)

Welcome to Cutawayland - you raise some interesting points which I would like to respond to - eventually, a bit too late this evening. However, remember there should always be a reasonable distance between airplanes and landscapes, unless the 'plane has landed. ;)

#5762 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 22:56

I have just stumbled upon the fact that this is my 10,000th post - and I wanted it to be here, on my favourite thread, rather than 'Word Association', or 'Do You Believe in Father Christmas?'. Well, 10% were crap, and the rest weren't worth reading, but there you go... Onwards and upwards...

Edited by Tony Matthews, 04 August 2010 - 22:59.

#5763 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 23:02

Congratulations Tony--when will you be returning to work? :)

#5764 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 23:16

Welcome to Cutawayland - you raise some interesting points which I would like to respond to - eventually, a bit too late this evening. However, remember there should always be a reasonable distance between airplanes and landscapes, unless the 'plane has landed.;)

Congratulations Tony ! You'll be voted chatter of the Year soon.!!!
Gwendolyn once whispered that you are quite talkative !(forum wise that is ) :p

#5765 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 23:20

Congratulations Tony ! You'll be voted chatter of the Year soon.!!!
Gwendolyn once whispered that you are quite talkative !(forum wise that is ) :p

Thank you Marc! Actually, Gwendolyn is very talkative, except when she's got her mouth full!

#5766 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 23:23

Congratulations Tony--when will you be returning to work? :)

Thank you David - I've been working on my house for the last coupla weeks, so I pass the PC every now and then, and my curiosity gets the better of me...

#5767 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,560 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 23:31

Congratulations Tony - at this rate you'll be challenging Ray Bell for the title of Most Prolific Poster in a year or three. I trust you'll be celebrating with a few glasses of Merlot.

#5768 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 23:35

Congratulations Tony - ...a few glasses of Merlot.

Thank you Tim. I shall head for Tesco ASAP. In fact there is a 24-hour Tesco in Baldock, a 15-minute drive away... No, I'll wait until later today!

#5769 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,560 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 23:41

Tut! One should always have at least one bottle to hand in case of emergency (well, I always do :blush: ).

Edited by Tim Murray, 04 August 2010 - 23:47.

#5770 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 00:10

Tut! One should always have at least one bottle to hand in case of emergency (well, I always do :blush: ).

Quite interesting to see the nature of the association here. Seem to find out a lot about everyone for supposedly talking cutaways. Like having a business meeting in a strip club .. hey, it's all business, isn't it?
Very good to see you out there posting, Tony. Always one of my favorites, and I used to hit magazine stands a couple of times per week just to make sure I caught issues with your artwork without delay. Have to figure out, with the images you have put on here, whether I have anything you haven't posted on here. Would be very proud to have something unique of yours to contribute, but I really doubt it somehow.
Interesting international mix of folks, and a great resource besides. Will explain that comment shortly.
Tom West

#5771 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 00:55

Quite interesting to see the nature of the association here. Seem to find out a lot about everyone for supposedly talking cutaways. Like having a business meeting in a strip club .. hey, it's all business, isn't it?
Very good to see you out there posting, Tony. Always one of my favorites, and I used to hit magazine stands a couple of times per week just to make sure I caught issues with your artwork without delay. Have to figure out, with the images you have put on here, whether I have anything you haven't posted on here. Would be very proud to have something unique of yours to contribute, but I really doubt it somehow.
Interesting international mix of folks, and a great resource besides. Will explain that comment shortly.
Tom West

I have to say, I view cutaway artwork in a similar vein to stunning music:- I am so overawed by it that I cannot comprehend how it is done...

#5772 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:06

jaguar xjr9 by Stuart Spencer ,in better definition
Posted Image

#5773 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:11

Ibsen,page 74,it's a jaguar xjr8( not an xjr9) by Stuart Spencer,i think

#5774 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:14

jaguar xjr9 by Stuart Spencer ,in better definition
Posted Image

Interesting! I didn't know the illustrator in question ever used this name! We will have to wait and see if he responds...

#5775 Motocar

Motocar

• 268 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 15:56

To tanks Mr. TWest for publish the Yoshikawa design work, I wait for long time

#5776 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,677 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 17:15

I have just stumbled upon the fact that this is my 10,000th post - and I wanted it to be here, on my favourite thread, rather than 'Word Association', or 'Do You Believe in Father Christmas?'. Well, 10% were crap, and the rest weren't worth reading, but there you go... Onwards and upwards...

Well...for what it is worth I'd say two things have stood out for me. Your generosity and your sense of humour. And your posts #464 and #2937 I think are the epitome of these two things.

:up:

#5777 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 17:29

Well...for what it is worth I'd say two things have stood out for me. Your generosity and your sense of humour.

:up:

Well, thank you kindly, wp.

#5778 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,677 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 17:37

Posted Image
Mini Gearbox-in-sump. Rzeppa constant velocity joint . Moulton Rubber cone and sub-frame. Drawn by Max Millar.

Posted Image
Mini rear suspension and sub frame. Drawn by Max Millar.

#5779 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,677 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 17:39

Posted Image
1936 Type 50 Steyr.

Advertisement

#5780 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,677 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 17:40

Posted Image
Hawker Typhoon IB. By Max Millar.

#5781 alansart

alansart

• 4,026 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 17:46

Interesting! I didn't know the illustrator in question ever used this name! We will have to wait and see if he responds...

He's a Jaguar man :)

http://www.automotiv...stuart-spencer/

Edited by alansart, 05 August 2010 - 17:47.

#5782 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 21:02

He's a Jaguar man :)

I know, Alan, I've met him! My very good friend, the late Geoff Lawson, was made Head of Styling at Jaguar, and shortly after he and his wife moved to Napton-on-the-Hill my then-wife and I met them and Stuart in a canal-side pub near Napton. However, I thought he only signed as Spencer Trauts, and as he joined us only a couple of weeks ago on this thread I thought he might be tempted to say when the real Stuart emerged...

#5783 DHFiallo

DHFiallo

• 69 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 13:56

Having tried to create a cutaway in Photoshop, I have to say that I am very impressed with those illustrations from our Mr. Johnson. I know there is a shift in thought needed, but I was trying to draw like I would have on paper (at least mentally), and it is much more complicated than it should be. At least I think it is. Takes forever, can tell you that.
As to being in the Deep South, where might that be? I have a 5'10" blonde model who is trying to convince me to move to Ashville ... so she can introduce me to her friends (unfortunately ...).
Will end up with some pics of a few of these ladies up on Facebook at some point ... maybe Tony can verify that this is going on ...
Tom West

I live in a sleepy little place outside of Atlanta. called Lawrenceville. I have been to Asheville and it is very nice place. It is home to the Biltmore House.

#5784 DHFiallo

DHFiallo

• 69 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 14:17

Ibsen,page 74,it's a jaguar xjr8( not an xjr9) by Stuart Spencer,i think

I just realized that I have this Jag in a larger size. approximately 6,648px × 4,684px
Posted Image

#5785 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 17:43

I live in a sleepy little place outside of Atlanta. called Lawrenceville. I have been to Asheville and it is very nice place. It is home to the Biltmore House.

My interests in Ashville center more on possible real estate prices, and a tall blonde friend and her friends. Sounds like a more open place than most back there, and it is generally cooler than most of the Southeast.
Tom West

#5786 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 814 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 15:03

Alpine A210 1967 by Theo Page

Posted Image

TNF Cutaway Index - updated - page 140 - post 5566

Edited by ibsenop, 07 August 2010 - 15:06.

#5787 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 00:22

These, I believe are by Takashi Jufuku, the Takata Honda NSX
Posted Image

Posted Image
Download them both, then open them both, and click from the one to the other and see how the NSX
is “unclothed”

My sister has come over from the home in Hua-Hin. She's bought along about 20lbs of my clippings collection, so not only am I busy
family wise.....I'm just plain busy.
Just thought I'd pop in to say everything is fine.

Edited by macoran, 08 August 2010 - 00:23.

#5788 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 00:47

These, I believe are by Takashi Jufuku, the Takata Honda NSX
Posted Image

Posted Image
Download them both, then open them both, and click from the one to the other and see how the NSX
is “unclothed”

My sister has come over from the home in Hua-Hin. She's bought along about 20lbs of my clippings collection, so not only am I busy
family wise.....I'm just plain busy.
Just thought I'd pop in to say everything is fine.

Marc,
Amazing to think how much of this information you have is now returning from Thailand. The world reach on all of this is really something.
Tom West

#5789 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 00:55

Marc,
Amazing to think how much of this information you have is now returning from Thailand. The world reach on all of this is really something.
Tom West

No Tom, I haven't even had the time to do much with the stuff my sister brought over, except for you know what.
I've had these in my "Ready to Post" file for a while.

#5790 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,607 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:08

I live in a sleepy little place outside of Atlanta. called Lawrenceville.

Me too!

#5791 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 814 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:53

A gift from a friend.

Auto Union Typ C 1936 from an old box cover of the Revival kit, with the colours fading away. Artist unknown.

Posted Image

Edited by ibsenop, 08 August 2010 - 02:55.

#5792 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:37

Me too!

I bet it's not sleepy at all, with at least two TNFers with an interest in cutaways as residents!

#5793 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:44

A gift from a friend.

Auto Union Typ C 1936 from an old box cover of the Revival kit, with the colours fading away. Artist unknown.

Posted Image

At first glance I thought it was by Terry Collins, but on enlarging it I realise that it is not nearly as proficient as a TC illustration. He did the V16 for the 'Motor' series from the early '80's, which I don't think anyone has posted yet. I know, I'll check the index!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 08 August 2010 - 07:44.

#5794 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:24

At first glance I thought it was by Terry Collins, but on enlarging it I realise that it is not nearly as proficient as a TC illustration. He did the V16 for the 'Motor' series from the early '80's, which I don't think anyone has posted yet. I know, I'll check the index!

No, it isn't the Collins one from the Motor series Tony.
I posted that long , long ago and it is on page 38.

#5795 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 814 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 15:18

Lancia Ferrari D50 1956 by Bruno Betti

From Revival kit instruction sheet.

Posted Image

#5796 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:45

Guys,
It has been rather quiet for a couple of days, so thought I would throw out a scan that I just tried to clean a bit. I am not sure who the illustrator is for this one, as there is no reference of any sort for this, or for a couple of other pieces that seem to be by the same person. This is an early Ford GT-40, as shown in the May, 1964 issue of Sports Car Graphic. If anyone recognizes the artist, I would appreciate the information.
I have to tell you that I hate these color overlays, as they never held reasonable registration, so putting them together can be a real thrill. The printing was really horrid, too, as this has so many destroyed lines, messed up screen overlays, the mis-registration, and a variety of printing flaws that are a real bear to clean up.
Tom West

Posted Image

#5797 trauts

trauts

• 43 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 17:22

Hi Tony,
sorry about delay busy at moment just being busy. The Spencer Trauts name came about when I worked at Chrysler UK, things were very insecure and with a mortgage and three kids I started freelancing at night but didn't want the company to know so used the name Spencer Trauts (Stuart reversed). When doing illustrations for Jaguar or whilst employed by Jaguar I used my name, sometimes just Spencer. Hope that didn't bore you too much.
Many congratulations on your milestone posting you should return to the drawing board you have a talent greatly missed.

#5798 alansart

alansart

• 4,026 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 17:29

I started freelancing at night but didn't want the company to know

A lot of us did that :)

#5799 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 17:55

Hi Tony,
sorry about delay busy at moment just being busy. The Spencer Trauts name came about when I worked at Chrysler UK, things were very insecure and with a mortgage and three kids I started freelancing at night but didn't want the company to know so used the name Spencer Trauts (Stuart reversed). When doing illustrations for Jaguar or whilst employed by Jaguar I used my name, sometimes just Spencer. Hope that didn't bore you too much.
Many congratulations on your milestone posting you should return to the drawing board you have a talent greatly missed.

Thanks for filling in the details Stuart, I knew most of it, but not all. I always thought the name Spencer Trauts was a great handle - as I've probably said before, if I'd known I would be trading under my name I probably would have chosen something other than Tony Matthews, which I have never really liked, just lived with!

A lot of us did that :)

I think that was one of the reasons I wasn't allowed to work Mondays and Fridays at Standard House - the assumption that I would be freelancing! As it was I just wanted to cut down on the commuting, which I felt was such a waste of time, apart from the chance it gave me to catch up on a lot of books that I had always meant to read.

In the end, of course, I started freelancing anyway, but commuting to London, working flat out before getting home at 7:30 pm, then illustrating in the evening, and every free moment tearing my house apart and re-building...I'm not sure how I found the energy to do that and have a full social life!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 10 August 2010 - 17:58.

Advertisement

#5800 h4887

h4887

• 879 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 19:12

probably would have chosen something other than Tony Matthews, which I have never really liked, just lived with!

Do tell, then, what would your ideal name be? Nothing wrong with Tony, surely? :wave: