The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13352 replies to this topic

#6101 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 18:41

Don't we all :)

Perhaps we should be wishing we knew some of the things Tom knows!

Advertisement

#6102 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 23:48

Perhaps we should be wishing we knew some of the things Tom knows!

After doing some of the things that seem to have happened in the last few years, I am not sure that I can live up to expectation, but I might know it. Since you have seen much of it on Facebook, remember that none of the material I am discussing is up there ...
Tom West

#6103 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:17

mercedes 380sl,unknown artist (Schlenzig?)
Posted Image

#6104 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:36

Already seen corvette 58 page 84 but of better definition. Artist always unknown
Posted Image

#6105 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:15

audi quattro swb by technical art
Posted Image

#6106 sixlover

sixlover

• 31 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 22:09

Wish I knew at 20 a few of the things I seem to know now ...

I DID! And it made no bloody difference

Martin

#6107 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:19

Wish I knew at 20 a few of the things I seem to know now ...

I DID! And it made no bloody difference

Martin

Martin,
I like the twist that this conversation, which could be horribly dry and boring, seems to take on occasion. The sense of humor out of some of this group is really fun, and makes me wish that I had the chance to work in a studio with folks like this. Talent and humor would certainly make a fairly dry activity much easier to deal with.
As to making no difference, probably true. I know that I seemed to be able to get women's clothes off for photos, but that didn't extend to actual involvement generally. Maybe I came off as taking it so seriously that I got credibility, but not game. I know that there are websites for models and photogs where most of the guys really are there just to try to pick up women who are comfortable without clothes on. Still find it fun when I can do this stuff at 61 ... and I have a girlfriend now (a tick older than I) who has no problems with me doing this stuff. Life isn't as bad as it could be ...
Just finishing up a couple of stitch projects on some Cavara prints out of that Italian Auto Club publication for you guys. Will send them out later tonight, but just starting in the beginning and going straight through, so you will get a few different images than everyone has seen here. I hadn't looked closely, but when you scan it up 20% at 300dpi output, that printing really trashes the quality of the linework, I have to tell you. Not going to get too crazy with it, but there will be a nice addition to the Cavara collection as I do this.
Now, back to the hedonism ...
Tom West

#6108 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:17

OK, I am going to send out five of the Giovanni Cavara illustrations that were published in the "60 vetture ai raggi X" publication of the Italian Auto Club. These go back a ways, so some of them did not reproduce all that great, but the collection is pretty cool to see.
We start out with the Abarth 2200 engine, based on the Fiat 6.
Tom West

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#6109 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:19

Next up is the Cavara illustration of the Abarth 500 Pininfarina Record car.
Tom West

Posted Image

#6110 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:21

This is the first illustration in the Cavara collection of illustrations. This is the 1956 Abarth 750 Zagato Coupe. All of these little Abarth designes were Fiat based, fyi.
Tom West

Posted Image

#6111 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:24

This illustration has been brought up previously, but I wanted to take if from the full page print here, only to find out how broken up the printing was. Whatever, this is the Cavara illustration of the Alfa Romeo 158 in its 1939 pre-war guise, according to the book.
Tom West

Posted Image

#6112 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:25

This is the Cavara illustration of the Alfa Romeo 160 engine from 1952.
Tom West

Posted Image

#6113 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:02

Martin,
I like the twist that this conversation, which could be horribly dry and boring, seems to take on occasion. The sense of humor out of some of this group is really fun, and makes me wish that I had the chance to work in a studio with folks like this. Talent and humor would certainly make a fairly dry activity much easier to deal with.

I'm not sure how much work would be done!

#6114 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:50

I'm not sure how much work would be done!

I've worked on my own for the last 27 years and I occasionally miss the banter and messing about of office life. The last office I was at in Wolfsburg was mainly English staffed. We worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week in 2 to 3 week stints and always needed a bit of light relief to relieve the mood. It wasn't unusual for an elastic band to skim past your ear, at which point an elastic band fight would take place between the design office and the illustrators. We always had a good supply of bands just in case! Our German boss, on hearing the commotion, would appear, roll her eyes and then disappear back into her office muttering comments about the mad British. Wasps made good target practise and it became normal to take one out from about 20ft :cool:

#6115 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:03

I've worked on my own for the last 27 years and I occasionally miss the banter and messing about of office life. The last office I was at in Wolfsburg was mainly English staffed. We worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week in 2 to 3 week stints and always needed a bit of light relief to relieve the mood. It wasn't unusual for an elastic band to skim past your ear, at which point an elastic band fight would take place between the design office and the illustrators. We always had a good supply of bands just in case! Our German boss, on hearing the commotion, would appear, roll her eyes and then disappear back into her office muttering comments about the mad British. Wasps made good target practise and it became normal to take one out from about 20ft :cool:

I enjoyed most of my early years working with Jim Allington, there were quite a few laughs, especially (as I seem to remember posting before) as drawing-office humour seems to be of a specific type, or people with that humour end up in drawing offices! God's way of telling you that you are barking mad, perhaps. Apart from rubber bands, it is surprising what fun you can have with Cow Gum.

Motoring News was OK, but one or two people were a pain, particularly one member of staff who worked the same side of The Swing Doors as me, but further along. He would pop in as a matter of course and make stupid comments, and proved the truth of the saying - who's, I cannot remember - it is not interuptions that cause distress, it is the fear of interuptions.

Having worked alone as an illustrator for the same time as Alan - 27 years - and still work mostly alone now, sharing a workload can be either a joy or not, depending on circumstances. One of my regular clients is a company that employs mostly women, young women, many of them very attractive... Hanging plasma screens and running cables in the ceiling void, surrounded by a sea of crumpet can be a little distracting - makes me come over all Tom West. However, that is not strictly work sharing. And no, you can't come with me next time!

#6116 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,664 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:32

Apologies for being completely OT but fascinated to learn you were in Wolfsburg around 1983 Alan.

I was there from March to September doing a placement towards my European Business studies degree working for VW 'Vertrieb Inenland' on a new computer programme for the accounts dept deadly dull work but made some lifetime friends.

We were working in a block of high rises that had been converted from Gastarbeiter flats to office space.

Posted Image

Above a pic of my pride and joy at the time, described else where on TNF, in the car park opposite the VW accommodation provided for us interns.

Happy days :wave:

Now back to the drawing board, or in my case a video editing suite :-)

#6117 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:50

Apologies for being completely OT but fascinated to learn you were in Wolfsburg around 1983 Alan.

I was there from March to September doing a placement towards my European Business studies degree working for VW 'Vertrieb Inenland' on a new computer programme for the accounts dept deadly dull work but made some lifetime friends.

We were working in a block of high rises that had been converted from Gastarbeiter flats to office space.

Posted Image

Above a pic of my pride and joy at the time, described else where on TNF, in the car park opposite the VW accommodation provided for us interns.

Happy days :wave:

Now back to the drawing board, or in my case a video editing suite :-)

I was at Eckard Design. The offices were under a large Apartment block overlooking the Schillerteich, towards the centre of town. Just off the Berliner Ring.

I had to go into R&D at VW quite often.

#6118 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:05

OK, I have a few more of the Cavara pieces out of his set of 60 published by the Italian Automobile Club.
I start with the Alfa Romeo 6c 2500 SS Corsa from 1939. I believe that this one has been put up here previously, but this should be a little larger file.
Tom West

Posted Image

#6119 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:11

This is the Cavara illustration of the Alfa Romeo 2000 Sportiva from 1954.
Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#6120 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:13

Another Cavara line drawing of an Alfa Romeo, the Giulietta Spider of 1955.

Posted Image

#6121 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:16

This is the Cavara illustration of the Alfa 4-cylinder engine and transmission for the Giulietta Spider.
Tom West

Posted Image

#6122 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:19

Another Cavara Alfa Romeo engine, this being the Sprint Veloce 4-cylinder.
Last one for the evening, folks.
Tom West

Posted Image

#6123 TopGun

TopGun

• 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:37

Hi all guys,
I'm new of the forum, discovered it not too much time ago, and must say it's great, specially this thread!!!!!

I'm a mechanical engineer, so it's impossible for me to don't like cutaway drawings, mechanics of the cars is my daily bread... Great compliments to the artists who are able to create such pieces of art!!!

I'm a great Lancia lover, specially a Delta fan, so here are some images I found on the official Lancia website, as a present for you!!!!

Lancia Delta S4 street version (unknown artist), better quality than the other in this thread

Posted Image

Lancia Delta S4 Martini (1985 version), by unknown artist

Posted Image

Lancia Delta HF Integrale 16v Martini Red (San Remo 1989 rally) by unknown artist, I suppose Betti

Posted Image

I'm highly interested in rally, proto and GT cars cutaway drawings, specially for the last version of the Lancia Delta from 1992, both street and rally version! If someone could find them it would be really appreciated...

Thanks to all!

#6124 KarlKarlson

KarlKarlson

• 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 16:40

For those still a little nostalgic for the older draughting techniques here are a few of my Dads old 'tools', before he was forced to switch to Autodesk in the 1980's. (I don't know what it is but there is a really strange smell associated with the type of plastic used for some of these ellipse guides)

Posted Image

I know exactly what you mean about the odour of the templates! Would you like a hint of vomit with your elipses? :p Makes me feel ill just thinking about it!

Edited by KarlKarlson, 17 September 2010 - 16:55.

#6125 KarlKarlson

KarlKarlson

• 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 16:43

I'm hoping someone maybe able to find the original artwork for this Toyota GB Rally Corolla GT (AE86)

Posted Image

It appeared in Autocar October 1984 ? Unsure of the artist ? Thanks in adavnce! Cheers Karl

#6126 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 17:18

It appeared in Autocar October 1984 ? Unsure of the artist

Jim Bamber, I think. Have you gone through Ibsenop's comprehensive index, Karl? It's a few pages back.

#6127 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 17:20

I know exactly what you mean about the odour of the templates! Would you like a hint of vomit with your elipses? :p Makes me feel ill just thinking about it!

Hey, I am still dealing with those things here ... Have 8 of them out here for a project that I am working on at the moment. Watch what you say there .. pardon, heading to the loo now ... :wave:
Probably have the largest collection of curves, hole guides, etc., in Southern California at the moment ... dupe set of the small and medium elipses, as a matter of fact.
Thinking I should move up to the computer design, but I am a Mac guy and haven't been able to get something that will do what I want ... at least I don't think there is anything like that around. May have to look into it ... but don't want to rush into anything with these new computer devices, you know.
Tom West

#6128 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 17:28

Hey, I am still dealing with those things here ... Have 8 of them out here for a project that I am working on at the moment. Watch what you say there .. pardon, heading to the loo now ... :wave:
Probably have the largest collection of curves, hole guides, etc., in Southern California at the moment ... dupe set of the small and medium elipses, as a matter of fact.
Thinking I should move up to the computer design, but I am a Mac guy and haven't been able to get something that will do what I want ... at least I don't think there is anything like that around. May have to look into it ... but don't want to rush into anything with these new computer devices, you know.
Tom West

I have a set of Large Alvin Ellipse Templates hanging off the side of a shelf unit next to my desk and they're are probably 30 years old. I've had a quick sniff - and yes they still smell of s**k :eek:

#6129 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,322 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 17:36

I'm hoping someone maybe able to find the original artwork for this Toyota GB Rally Corolla GT (AE86)
It appeared in Autocar October 1984 ? Unsure of the artist ? Thanks in adavnce! Cheers Karl

Jim Bamber, I think. Have you gone through Ibsenop's comprehensive index, Karl? It's a few pages back.

TNF Cutaway drawing and its artists Index page 01 to page 153 - up to post #6099 - part B
Toyota Corola Rally by unknown artist - page 106

This is the only Corolla in Ibsen's index, posted by CVA, but unfortunately the image has been pulled by Imageshack. :well:

#6130 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 17:37

I have a set of Large Alvin Ellipse Templates hanging off the side of a shelf unit next to my desk and they're are probably 30 years old. I've had a quick sniff - and yes they still smell of s**k :eek:

All my guides are in a box in the attic, but I have a very good olfactory memory. No, not old factory - and I only had to see the post of the green plastic, and I could smell 'em!

#6131 KarlKarlson

KarlKarlson

• 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 18:03

I found that a melange of Pantone markers, Pilot ink and a dash of acetone based thinners would help mask the sickly smell ;)

It must be at least 10 years since I put pen to paper for an orthographic projection or rendering, but this thread has really inspired me to draw again!
Some amazing work guys! Thanks for sharing and glad to see that this is not an entirely lost art. Keep them coming!

I looked through the comprehensive index (Cheers Ibsenop! And thanks for keeping it up to date!) but as you said the Rally Corolla was gone.
Found many of my favourites inc. Technical Art Porsche 935 which I have framed at home with Martini stripe border and KKK Turboloader logo.

Edited by KarlKarlson, 17 September 2010 - 18:04.

#6132 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 18:09

I found that a melange of Pantone markers, Pilot ink and a dash of acetone based thinners would help mask the sickly smell ;)

I normally have my melange with Parma ham...

#6133 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 20:15

I never eat melange, unless they are very good looking ... but that may be Blancmange that I am remembering (thanks to Monty Python) ...
I am not noticing any smell from my drawers of green cut templates, maybe because they have been out and active for years, or maybe because my sinuses are f-ed up from a 7 month use of 7 day decongestant many years ago. The allergist that I finally saw about it thought I had been using something much more fun up my nose at the time. Had to sell him on my lack of interest in all of that kind of thing, but it took a while, with me being such a hippie-freak type of guy and all.
Also, I have never been able to keep those acetone thinners on hand, as they keep evaporating before I can use them once I set them aside.
Maybe that smell covered the plasticizer coming out of the templates ...
By the way, I played with that magazine scan on the Toyota Rally car. Not exactly the best image in the files, but a little cleaner. Will send it when I have that harddrive open again.
Tom West

#6134 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 20:56

All this talk about smells of the trade has triggered my olfactory sensory memories. When I worked for David Kimble, I recall taking on projects from him which he had started the research phase and examined all the provided reference materials from the client. When I received the ref material they all smelled of the pipe he smoked...almost as if he was in the room with me. I don't smoke, but the fragrance was quite lovely and always made me look forward with eager anticipation to open the enormous drawings GM would send him thereby releasing the aroma of that pipe tobacco.

#6135 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 21:05

I don't smoke, but the fragrance was quite lovely and always made me look forward with eager anticipation to open the enormous drawings GM would send him thereby releasing the aroma of that pipe tobacco.

Ah, that St Bruno moment :)

#6136 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 00:53

Here's a sketch of a project I'm working on. It's just the engine (big Pratt & Whitney R985 radial) portion which will plug in to the 1930 Gee Bee Model Z cutaway. This plane is one of my all-time favorites and should make a really cool illustration. For those of you unfamiliar with the Gee Bee Model Z, it was the featured plane (yellow w/ black scallops) in the movie 'The Rocketeer'. The engine drawing measures 9" X 11" and the whole plane drawing is 26" X 40".

http://img833.images...gine001copy.jpg

#6137 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:31

Ah, that St Bruno moment :)

"Condor!"

Here's a sketch of a project I'm working on. It's just the engine (big Pratt & Whitney R985 radial) portion which will plug in to the 1930 Gee Bee Model Z cutaway. This plane is one of my all-time favorites and should make a really cool illustration. For those of you unfamiliar with the Gee Bee Model Z, it was the featured plane (yellow w/ black scallops) in the movie 'The Rocketeer'. The engine drawing measures 9" X 11" and the whole plane drawing is 26" X 40".

http://img833.images...gine001copy.jpg

Good luck, Tom! A lot still to do, but it's coming on nicely - I like "Find TDC", probably more vital than in an in-line or Vee!

#6138 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:42

miracle,we found toyota
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6139 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:34

Posted Image

It's on the way Karl

Advertisement

#6140 DHFiallo

DHFiallo

• 69 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 15:13

Here are some cutaways that I do not think have been posted.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The first two I think are Betti's. The Nissan I think is Yamada, but I am uncertain as to any of them really.

#6141 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 16:04

Posted Image

The first two I think are Betti's. The Nissan I think is Yamada, but I am uncertain as to any of them really.

Takashi Jufuku

#6142 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 16:11

Posted Image

G.Betti

#6143 KarlKarlson

KarlKarlson

• 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 16:13

It's on the way Karl

You are a gun!

Posted Image

Porsche 997 GT3 RS 3.8 would be by Technical Art - More specific artists?

Edited by KarlKarlson, 18 September 2010 - 16:14.

#6144 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 16:25

Posted Image

The Mercedes is Bruno Betti

#6145 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 16:45

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

alfa seen page 135 ,mercedes seen page 136 before

#6146 marlondylan

marlondylan

• 49 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:35

Ferrari 288 GTO by David Kimble from Road & Track years ago.
Posted Image

#6147 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,594 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 13:46

... but that may be Blancmange that I am remembering (thanks to Monty Python) ...

Have all your neighbors moved to Scotland??????????? :cool:

#6148 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 17:33

Here's something new for you guys and gals: http://www.tjtechart.com. I have finally put together a rather crude web site. Learning html coding was very taxing on this old man's head. It will make Photoshop and Illustrator a piece of cake now. This site was done from a stock template but I will make a better one once I learn Dreamweaver and Wordpress.

Cheers, Tom

#6149 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 18:35

Here's something new for you guys and gals: http://www.tjtechart.com.

Very nice, Tom - I hope that pulls in the orders and commissions!

#6150 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 18:52

:up: Tom, they look great ! Great Maserati !