Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13352 replies to this topic

#6251 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,070 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:18

No, it's just that all models were marketed as the 340, but the other numbers were used in-house to indicate the different bodies. Much like Ford used Tudor and Fordor internally, but the cars were never sold as such.

Thank you Tony, I could not have said it any better.

A little request here: does anybody have a good scan of Terry Davey's Hillman Imp?
It is in the Haynes cutaway book but unfortunatly (like all of the drawings) over two pages.
I'd like to get it printed out in big as a present for a friend of mine who used to drive one of those.

Advertisement

#6252 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,664 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:45

Soo ... are you saying that they actually had a "0" door model then, based on your statement. The 340 must have been an industrial version with no roof or something ... maybe for postal delivery in good weather??? Of course, they are talking about Sweden, so how could that be???
I am very confused now ... as if that is anything new. Not sure how I didn't pick up all those DAF references, but I can't remember the thought process as I added the names to my copies as they were made ... been 15 years or so, and I can't even remember breakfast.
Tom West

No the 343, 344, 345, 244, 245, 744 & 745 id's were kept internally at Volvo long after the marketing department cleaned up the numeric model Id's on the badges somewhere around 1983 here is an ad pre 1983 and another post 1983.

Hope that helps lift the confusion Tom :wave:

#6253 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,664 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:47

Not that I'm an expert in british cars, but this is Austin 1300 GT from 1969. Pretty much same car as 'our own' (licensed) IMV 1300 Special, made in Novo Mesto, Yugoslavia (now Slovenia) between 1970-72, I believe. IMV 1300 Special was available in silver or gold, and had round yellow foglamps above front bumpers. It was quite an attractive offer, but not very popular. Specially not for the mechanics, who found it 'strange' that the metric tools didn't quite work...

After 1972 IMV connected with Renault, then in about 1989/90 changed its name to Revoz (REnault VOZila, or Renault Vehicles), after break-up of Yugoslavia became more or less sole car manufacturer in Slovenia, and nowadays remains the only plant which produces models Twingo and Wind.

Hope I didn't get into OT too deep. :)

#6254 john t

john t

• 186 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 14:15

Now I know how King Harold must have felt! Not the best bit of annotation I've ever seen...

Mr Matthews. Your arrogance is wearing thin on many TNFers.
...And your technical drawings are not the best i've ever seen....

#6255 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,322 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 14:40

Mr Tyrer. You are of course entitled to your own opinion, but I believe it is not one shared by many here at TNF.

#6256 ovfi

ovfi

• 184 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 15:09

Mr Tyrer. You are of course entitled to your own opinion, but I believe it is not one shared by many here at TNF.

Well said. Tony Matthews, besides being one of the best humored TNFers, is an automotive artist recognized all over the world, his work is well known and high ranked in many far countries, as in my country.

#6257 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 115 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 15:15

seconded.
for reference , this - earlier on the 'Autodiva' thread had also seemed, IMHO, a bit unwarranted;

"I don't think that copyright issues have killed this forum. TNF will serve as a great reference for all of us interested in our favourite sports heritage.
TNF has simply run its course.
One or two active long term members discouraging new members to comment has had an entirely predictable effect.
without new members contributions the forum has simply run out of 'new' images.
Topics have been raised and discussed to eternity. personally, I've been bored by endlessly re-posted 'cutaway' technical drawings, moanings about 'blood pressure' and the pomposity that several contributors display at others expense.
I stopped making contributions to TNF some while ago. My thoughts on topics don't really matter. I am only an enthusiast... But i'm not the only person who feels this way."

maybe you could stop making contributions again, sir ... with proportionate respect.
steven

Edited by fnqvmuch, 02 October 2010 - 15:48.

#6258 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 15:22

thirded :)

#6259 john t

john t

• 186 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 15:27

seconded.
maybe you could stop making contributions again, sir ... with due respect.
steven

:rotfl: I think you are probably right! :rotfl:

Advertisement

#6260 theglenster

theglenster

• 33 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 15:47

Mr Matthews. Your arrogance is wearing thin on many TNFers.
...And your technical drawings are not the best i've ever seen....

idiot.

coming from a so called "art teacher", your coments leave me flabbergasted. i take it you teach 7 year olds?

Edited by theglenster, 02 October 2010 - 16:00.

#6261 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 16:07

Well. Just got back after a hard day's graft to find this little lot!

john t :- You are entitled to your opinion about me, and about my work. I have never set out to foist my illustrations on anyone, neither have I expected them to be universally admired. Illustration, like art, whilst there are basic ground rules, is essentially a matter of personal taste. If you don't like my work, so be it. You and I can both live with that. I will point out that I have deliberately held back from constantly posting my own work, simply because this thread is not about me, it is about all illustrators, and all technical illustrations. If I was arrogant there would be either many more posts from me, or none, as, like you, I would think this thread and TNF in general was beneath me.

I stumbled upon this thread by chance, and it has been great fun, especially as I thought, after six years (at the time I joined) out of the business, that I had no more interest in illustrating. The enthusiasm of so many posters for the 'art' made me realize that it still has a hold on me - I have met a great many very pleasant people, and seen very many fine illustrations that I either have never seen before, or not seen for decades.

Quite why you should start foaming at the mouth after a harmless joke about annotation is beyond me - or perhaps that is how you teach your pupils to annotate. I hope not, for their sakes and that of anyone who has to decipher one of their annotated illustration. I quite understand that you should find my humour grating, like illustration, humour is a matter of taste. I do joke too much at times, I am aware of that, but it is, oddly, how most drawing-office staff behave, it tends to go with the territory. Obviously there are exceptions...

To me, this thread is like chatting to friends in a bar, and every now and then, bar-room humour rises to the surface. You don't have to read it.

Thanks to everyone who defended me! Quite moving...

#6262 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 16:14

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh I am back in cutawayland !!!!!!!!!!!

Phew !!! computers can be a pain to sort out sometimes.

At least I didn't lose any material, so I can start posting some stuff soon after this weekend full of birthday visits.

#6263 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 16:17

Tim, I think you are in error ! that should have read any

#6264 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 16:24

I'm hoping someone maybe able to find the original artwork for this Toyota GB Rally Corolla GT (AE86)

Posted Image

It appeared in Autocar October 1984 ? Unsure of the artist ? Thanks in adavnce! Cheers Karl

Karl I haven't forgotten.
That Autocar issue has arrived, so I'll scan and post Jim Bamber's Toyota GB Rally Corolla GT soon

#6265 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,322 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 17:02

Tim, I think you are in error ! that should have read any

Marc, I'm pretty certain you're right. But, having learned the hard way that it's not a good idea to post when you're angry (and I was hopping mad when I read Mr T's comment) I forced myself to be very restrained in my initial response. Now that I've cooled down, I'll just add that I'm absolutely amazed that anyone could ever describe Tony as 'arrogant'.

#6266 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 17:04

That Autocar issue has arrived, so I'll scan and post Jim Bamber's Toyota GB Rally Corolla GT soon

Marc,
First, good to have you back in harness with the group. As you can see, some folks seem to have misplaced their meds and have gotten a little testy in the last few hours. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but, having been stunned in seeing the first Tony Matthews line drawings back in the early '70s. his work has always been at the absolute top of this art form, whether the color or the black and white. Where an opinion would result that would legitimately be anything different is beyond me. If you want to say anyone isn't the absolute best, I may buy in, as taste and preference varies. But to indicate that a Tony Matthews work is quite as lowly as has been indicated, there is something else at work here. I have never quite put my own top artist list together, but Tony will always be there somewhere. At that level, the ranking would change every day based on what I have seen, but the work is certainly well considered and the talent is unmistakable. How anyone with artistic training could indicate otherwise is rather stunning, especially based on accuracy and detail of the work. I suppose that I would like to know whose work would actually deserve consideration over Tony's.
Blows me away to hear this kind of harsh attack on this skilled an artist.
As to personality, we could all probably use a bit of lighten-up juice on occasion, but there is that British sense of humor, honed by years working at drawing boards with other relative introverts. Can't imagine how that couldn't be universally found humorous ... and there are folks who don't appreciate Monty Python, as well ... idiots.
Not to kiss ass too much here, but Tony has been one of the most prolific responders to this group because he is among the most involved, the best known, and cares more than most about the art form. I am sure that if someone were to pick Allington, Kimble, Inomoto, or whoever, and start a thread discussing one of them, it would easily get considered responses from folks. Tony, being on here, has been responsive and easy to talk with, and will take the time to detail some process or technique which is invaluable in executing/appreciating a cutaway.
Wish I were there to buy he and the child bride a round at the local pub this evening.
I would also like to know where anyone has shut down conversation or criticized anyone harshly on this list. There is a non-response thing on occasion, but the posting tends to be probably 20 or so who do the bulk of the load carrying here. If someone things that isn't right, their own participation and contribution could easily be increased, unless they have nothing to contribute. Having been involved in various chat boards over here (on US drag Racing), some of the heaviest bitching would always come from folks who didn't contribute anything in the first place. Seems to be happening here, it seems.
How about everyone step back and consider the treasure trove of material that has come up here. I can't wait to see the new material that Marc has pulled together out of his Asian cache of stuff that he just retrieved. Should make things interesting.
OK, will let that go now. Hope it wasn't too long for some of you to read ... sorry, couldn't pass it up.

Tom West

#6267 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 17:05

Thanks to everyone who defended me! Quite moving...

...is the cheque in the post? :)

#6268 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 17:10

Thank you Tony, I could not have said it any better.

A little request here: does anybody have a good scan of Terry Davey's Hillman Imp?
It is in the Haynes cutaway book but unfortunatly (like all of the drawings) over two pages.
I'd like to get it printed out in big as a present for a friend of mine who used to drive one of those.

Duc,
I probably have that in my set of copies, but I know it is not among the ones that I have already done. If you are looking for something, I believe the James Allington print has been previously posted, which will certainly be better than the Haynes illustration. Let me know if that will work for you. I will be lazy here and say that I think there were a couple of others of the car as well, but, as with most illustrations of that time, the Allington linework will have been the best ... sorry, personal opinion. I hope that doesn't offend the tender sensibilities of some of the folks here ...
Tom West

#6269 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 17:11

OK, will let that go now.

Tom West

Thanks Tom.

Hi Marc, back in Cutawayland, a collective sigh of relief!

#6270 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 17:13

...is the cheque in the post? :)

Virtual cheques are winging their way as I write! These can be exchanged for virtual beer-tokens if preferred...

#6271 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 00:38

Another two pieces for you. This one is actually titled as the Austin Mini, as opposed to the British Leyland designation that I put up previously. I gather that Haynes put out unique books to cover different high-production run vehicles. Again by Terry Davey.
Tom West

Posted Image

#6272 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 00:42

Another Terry Davey piece of a sort of unusual vehicle. This is the Bedford CF Van, for those service drivers in the group. This reminds me of where they wanted me to go with my Ford Van drawing that I did for Haynes over in the US. Too bad that thing didn't work out, as, after putting in hours to simplify that drawing, the following couple of pieces were very easy to do, and I got paid more than the more complicated (slightly, compared to the Tony Matthews or Allington standard) stuff that I had been doing elsewhere. And, they were right over the hill from me. Could have really used that stuff, and thought that they came out fairly well.
Anyway, back to this .. the CF Van, ladies and gentlemen.
Tom West

Posted Image

#6273 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 00:52

Another two pieces for you. This one is actually titled as the Austin Mini, as opposed to the British Leyland designation that I put up previously. I gather that Haynes put out unique books to cover different high-production run vehicles. Again by Terry Davey.
Tom West

Posted Image

When the Mini was first launched there were two variants, the Morris Mini and the Austin Se7en, a rather tricksy name. The main visual difference was in the radiator grill, the Morris being 'straight-cut' and the Austin 'crinkle-cut'. The Austin variant was soon dropped, and only the Morris was available. My mother bought the Austin Se7en, for some reason thinking it was preferable - but that is what badge engineering was all abought, imagined status and brand loyalty!

#6274 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:31

When the Mini was first launched there were two variants, the Morris Mini and the Austin Se7en, a rather tricksy name. The main visual difference was in the radiator grill, the Morris being 'straight-cut' and the Austin 'crinkle-cut'. The Austin variant was soon dropped, and only the Morris was available. My mother bought the Austin Se7en, for some reason thinking it was preferable - but that is what badge engineering was all abought, imagined status and brand loyalty!

Tony,
That badging of the same metal was classic in the US. Working at a GM Assembly plant during my school and post university time (total of 6-1/2 years), I saw many version of that concept. The GM Nova series, known affectionately as the X-body, created four different products the Chevrolet Nova, the Oldsmobile Omega, the Pontiac Ventura and the Buick Apollo. There were more differences than most people realized, but they all built on the same floorpans and had a variety of trim pieces that were completely interchangeable.
We had also featured the F-body, Camaro and Firebird.
Prior to that, we were building F-bodies and the Chevelle (a larger A-body). It was interesting after the 1971 earthquake that all the Chevelles had stayed on the overhead 3-rail hangers, while every F-body was upside down on the floor ... not sure what any of this has to do with cutaways, but it did seem to relate to the varibadging of the British Leyland cars. Now, did they ever produced it as a Leyland, or only as Austin or Morris?
Thought is would be cool to show the small difference in those cover drawings.
Tom West

#6275 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:41

I wonder if badge-engineering started in the USA. I don't mean the use of a common platform and engine, as so many cars now have siblings under the skin, but the way of hardly altering a vehicle apart from the badge, as happened in the UK. It probably worked well in the '60s and '70s, but the buying public is, I think, a little more sophisticated now, and demands a completely different skin and trim.

By the way, I still feel a bit miffed the way illustrations are being lifted from this thread and appearing elsewhere. I don't mean illustrations that are already in the public domain, but specific illustrations that appeared here, and had not seen the light of day anywhere else before. After the Rens Biesma incident I deleted quite a few of my posts, until I ran out of steam - "Slow down, Ripley, slow down! You'll blow the transaxle!" springs to mind. But, being the type whose anger is fleeting, I have decided that the poachers are the losers, and I will post some bits and pieces in the future. As long as john t doesn't mind... No, even if he does!

#6276 DHFiallo

DHFiallo

• 69 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 15:24

Wow, just got back from the Petit LeMans and missed the dust up in cutawayland. I might add, that one of the most enjoyable things I do is check this forum; whether it be gems from Mac, Ibsen or Tom, or visits from actual artist I am truly grateful. I wish, truly wish that I had an ounce of the ability that I have seen displayed here. The fact that Tony takes his time out to comment and add some humor is to me unbelievable. I never expected it and it bring alive these amazing machines and the artists that draw them. Tony, I love your art and humor and please ignore the arse beside the door entrance of cutawayland. I'll be in the corner drinking something cold and foamy!

#6277 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 15:36

here are a few from Inkwell Studios that I don't believe we have seen...

Posted Image
Horch 670 cabriolet - 1932 - Inkwell Studios - (not sure why the first image was checker-boarded - the replacement appears okay)

Posted Image
Isotta-Fraschini Tipo 8 - 1919 - Inkwell Studios

Posted Image
Jensen Interceptor - 1966 - Inkwell Studios

Edited by simplebrother, 03 October 2010 - 18:04.

#6278 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,070 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 15:59

Duc,
I probably have that in my set of copies, but I know it is not among the ones that I have already done. If you are looking for something, I believe the James Allington print has been previously posted, which will certainly be better than the Haynes illustration. Let me know if that will work for you. I will be lazy here and say that I think there were a couple of others of the car as well, but, as with most illustrations of that time, the Allington linework will have been the best ... sorry, personal opinion. I hope that doesn't offend the tender sensibilities of some of the folks here ...
Tom West

You're right the Allington drawing has been posted before. Unfortunately is the quality of the scan pretty shite and it seems that nobody has a better version of it.
And also: I like the perspective of Terry Davey's drawing better...

#6279 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 16:13

Wow, just got back from the Petit LeMans and missed the dust up in cutawayland. I might add, that one of the most enjoyable things I do is check this forum; whether it be gems from Mac, Ibsen or Tom, or visits from actual artist I am truly grateful. I wish, truly wish that I had an ounce of the ability that I have seen displayed here. The fact that Tony takes his time out to comment and add some humor is to me unbelievable. I never expected it and it bring alive these amazing machines and the artists that draw them. Tony, I love your art and humor and please ignore the arse beside the door entrance of cutawayland. I'll be in the corner drinking something cold and foamy!

Thanks DHF, and I truly appreciate the use of 'arse' in place of 'ass'! It's the little things that count...

Advertisement

#6280 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 16:29

Probably works a little better if you read Russian, I presume. A bit murky as an illustration, however ...
Tom West

I've only just seen this, must have just put my eye-drops in before scrolling and lost it in the watery world that I inhabit briefly after doing so. My point was simply that I don't think annotation lines should ever cross each other unless it is impossible to avoid it. It just takes a bit of forethought, and re-placement of the text. We (Jim and I) always used lines at 0, 45 and 90 degrees wherever possible. It is clearer and looks so much neater. I suppose it looks neater because it is clearer...

By the way, someone told me on this thread that I could generate a degree symbol by using ALT and 0176 on the numerical pad. It seems to have stopped working, I just get the Dell home page. Is it because I am holding down the ALT key rather than just pressing it first, or have I woken up in a parallel Universe? I would try again, but don't want to have to write all this again. I know, I'll try on something shorter...

#6281 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 16:32

Nope.

#6282 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 16:35

You're right the Allington drawing has been posted before. Unfortunately is the quality of the scan pretty shite and it seems that nobody has a better version of it.

I have a couple of Hillman Imp images besides the one posted earlier... the first is by Vic Berris originally in Autocar (10/18/63), the second James Allington (thanks, Tony)

Posted Image
Hillman Imp - 1963 - Vic Berris

Posted Image
Hillman Imp - 1963 - James Allington

Edited by simplebrother, 03 October 2010 - 16:58.

#6283 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 16:49

...I am uncertain about the second...

Posted Image
Hillman Imp - 1963 - unknown

That is the James Allington version, with tyres stippled by yours truly. I had forgotten that he drew it as a left-hooker, and can't think why. At first I thought it had (the illustration) been flopped, but the engine is canted over the correct way, and LUCAS on the battery is a bit of a give-away.

#6284 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 16:56

That is the James Allington version, with tyres stippled by yours truly. I had forgotten that he drew it as a left-hooker, and can't think why. At first I thought it had (the illustration) been flopped, but the engine is canted over the correct way, and LUCAS on the battery is a bit of a give-away.

it looked like his work - but the copy I found (from somewhere) had no signature. Thanks, Tony

#6285 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,322 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 17:36

By the way, someone told me on this thread that I could generate a degree symbol by using ALT and 0176 on the numerical pad. It seems to have stopped working, I just get the Dell home page. Is it because I am holding down the ALT key rather than just pressing it first, or have I woken up in a parallel Universe? I would try again, but don't want to have to write all this again. I know, I'll try on something shorter...

You can get the º symbol by holding down the Alt key and typing 167, but you can only do it using the numeric key pad on the right of the keyboard, and you have to have 'Num Lock' on. Here's a link to all the Alt codes:

http://www.alt-codes.net/

I usually get these things via 'Insert symbol' in MS Word - it saves time farting about finding out what number you need to type after pressing the Alt key.

#6286 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 18:47

I wonder if badge-engineering started in the USA. I don't mean the use of a common platform and engine, as so many cars now have siblings under the skin, but the way of hardly altering a vehicle apart from the badge, as happened in the UK. It probably worked well in the '60s and '70s, but the buying public is, I think, a little more sophisticated now, and demands a completely different skin and trim.

By the way, I still feel a bit miffed the way illustrations are being lifted from this thread and appearing elsewhere. I don't mean illustrations that are already in the public domain, but specific illustrations that appeared here, and had not seen the light of day anywhere else before. After the Rens Biesma incident I deleted quite a few of my posts, until I ran out of steam - "Slow down, Ripley, slow down! You'll blow the transaxle!" springs to mind. But, being the type whose anger is fleeting, I have decided that the poachers are the losers, and I will post some bits and pieces in the future. As long as john t doesn't mind... No, even if he does!

Tony,
I agree about being a bit torqued about the lifting of "original" work that has been developed for this group. I know that about half of those Haynes illustrations have been taken onto that Russian site. It is an amazing resource, but when I realized that my own stuff was going there rather quickly, it was a bit irritating.
I think that the thing that has bothered me as much as anything is the fact that the artist signatures are generally being removed, and I would really like for those guys to get the credit for their work.
I have tried to go out of my way to preserve those signatures out of request for the guys doing this work, as you can imagine. To have it removed leaves a rather bitter taste.
I am happy to be able to share this stuff, and I guess this gives it a larger forum for the art form, so I guess there are positives .. but PLEASE LEAVE THE ****ing NAMES ON THE ILLUSTRATIONS.
Sorry, did I write that out loud???

On to another subject, a few posts back someone (not going back to check) asked about the Haynes cover for the Hillman Imp. I dug back through my cover copies and came up with this one, among the more detailed pieces, but a bit darker than would be best. I had to darken it a bit just to fill the grey-outs on the copy that I have .. but, this is it. This is the Terry Davey version of the Hillman Imp from 1975, according to my reference here.
Tom West

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#6287 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 18:54

I've only just seen this, must have just put my eye-drops in before scrolling and lost it in the watery world that I inhabit briefly after doing so. My point was simply that I don't think annotation lines should ever cross each other unless it is impossible to avoid it. It just takes a bit of forethought, and re-placement of the text. We (Jim and I) always used lines at 0, 45 and 90 degrees wherever possible. It is clearer and looks so much neater. I suppose it looks neater because it is clearer...

Tony,
Maybe it is just because I am on the Macintosh, but you get the "°" here by using Alt-Shift-8 together. Just a reference ...
Tom

#6288 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 18:57

Sorry to hear you didn't like my scan of the Allington Imp. I know that I pulled it up to 11x17 and then downsized to post here, just because I don't want it out in full size. Those old Allington illustrations were so loaded with detail that they are hard for printers to reproduce and print, when you pull them up on a scanner, you almost get too much information at times.
You won't like the new one of the Davey print, as it is going from that cover to a Xerox copy, then through the scan to my original at 150%, 300 dpi, then back down to 2000 pixels wide at 150dpi.
Just going to have to buy the original piece for yourself, I suppose.
Tom West

#6289 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 19:03

I have a couple of Hillman Imp images besides the one posted earlier... the first is by Vic Berris originally in Autocar (10/18/63), the second James Allington (thanks, Tony)

Posted Image
Hillman Imp - 1963 - James Allington

That Allington Imp appears to be the one that I had posted to the group, but with the separate drivetrain removed, along with Allington's signature. Is that out of the Russian site, just out of curiosity? They always seem to end up at the 2048 pixel wide sizes.

The original that I pieced together is a bit over double this, at 4200x2904, so it is pretty much all there.
Tom West

#6290 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 19:25

That Allington Imp appears to be the one that I had posted to the group, but with the separate drivetrain removed, along with Allington's signature. Is that out of the Russian site, just out of curiosity? They always seem to end up at the 2048 pixel wide sizes.

The original that I pieced together is a bit over double this, at 4200x2904, so it is pretty much all there.
Tom West

It appears I did get this copy from the Russian site as it has their upload notation in the corner (I don't have a copy of your earlier posting - I have somehow missed it). I usually remove their notation, because I, as you, am upset by their removal of signatures - if the artist/illustrator isn't going to be recognized they certainly shouldn't be. If I have an earlier version I will copy the signature and paste it into the drawing and remove their mark, so evidently, if I had a smaller version, it was either unsigned also or for some reason I couldn't reproduce the signature (but I'm too old to remember, I guess).
Peter

#6291 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 20:14

You can get the º symbol by holding down the Alt key and typing 167, but you can only do it using the numeric key pad on the right of the keyboard, and you have to have 'Num Lock' on. Here's a link to all the Alt codes:

I usually get these things via 'Insert symbol' in MS Word - it saves time farting about finding out what number you need to type after pressing the Alt key.

Thanks Tim, that works. It puzzles me that the previous system worked (ALT 0176 on the num. pad), but then stopped - but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by anything that happens on a computer!

Tom, that doesn't work for me, but thanks.

Edited to say that I've fiddled with it, and the vital key is Num Lock - but I didn't need it a few months ago! Sorted - you aint seen nothin' yet!©

Edited by Tony Matthews, 03 October 2010 - 20:21.

#6292 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 20:39

It appears I did get this copy from the Russian site as it has their upload notation in the corner (I don't have a copy of your earlier posting - I have somehow missed it). I usually remove their notation, because I, as you, am upset by their removal of signatures - if the artist/illustrator isn't going to be recognized they certainly shouldn't be. If I have an earlier version I will copy the signature and paste it into the drawing and remove their mark, so evidently, if I had a smaller version, it was either unsigned also or for some reason I couldn't reproduce the signature (but I'm too old to remember, I guess).
Peter

Peter,
Just go back into the Index, page 150 (thanks, Ibsen) and check out the Hillman Imp by Allington. That is my scan with the signature and with the drivetrain that was illustrated as a separate unit. I have the much larger file here.
Also, the Terry Davey piece that I posted is also about half the size of my full file version ... complete with the signature, of course.
At least, that little scroll that he uses ...
Tom West

#6293 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 20:40

Seems so much easier with my Mac, somehow ...
Tom West

#6294 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 20:42

By the way, I want to thank Peter for posting those Inkwell stitches that he put up. I had been thinking of pulling apart my copy of that book ... but that didn't seem like a good idea. If I find another, I may consider it, but you have prevented that from being necessary. Thank-you.
Tom West

#6295 KarlKarlson

KarlKarlson

• 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 23:54

No rush mate. All in your own time :D Cheers KK

Also wondering if there was any renderings of Chris Hodgetts BTCC winning Corolla in 1986-1987 ?

Posted Image
http://speedhunters....e86-touring-car

Edited by KarlKarlson, 04 October 2010 - 00:35.

#6296 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:49

Peter,
Just go back into the Index, page 150 (thanks, Ibsen) and check out the Hillman Imp by Allington. That is my scan with the signature and with the drivetrain that was illustrated as a separate unit. I have the much larger file here.
Also, the Terry Davey piece that I posted is also about half the size of my full file version ... complete with the signature, of course.
At least, that little scroll that he uses ...
Tom West

I must be a complete dolt - I can't find a listing for either... the only Hillman's I found were:
* Hillman Hunter by John Ferguson - page 90
* Hillman Saloon 1933 by John Palmer - page 103
* Hillman Minx Chassis by D. Andrews - page 109
* Hillman IMP by unknown artist - page 131
* Hillman IMP engine and gearbox by Bennett - page 131

Peter

#6297 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:43

I must be a complete dolt - I can't find a listing for either... the only Hillman's I found were:
* Hillman Hunter by John Ferguson - page 90
* Hillman Saloon 1933 by John Palmer - page 103
* Hillman Minx Chassis by D. Andrews - page 109
* Hillman IMP by unknown artist - page 131
* Hillman IMP engine and gearbox by Bennett - page 131

Peter

Ok, Peter. I give up. This Allington Imp was scanned early in my time here, but I can't find it when I check back into my posts.
I am posting my rendition of it, just so you can see that it was done, although why it isn't here, I can't tell you ... unless I just forgot to include it or some such defective behavior.
Tom West

Posted Image

#6298 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:06

Posted Image

Now that's odd! The Imp engine posted on page 131 is the same illustration as that added to Jim's vehicle cutaway, but with subtle differences. Actually, not-so subtle! The p131 illustration has the alternator and drive belt, quite a large section, removed, just wiped off, and the drawing turned to make the cylinder block nearer vertical. Here, however, it is complete and at the right attitude. It can't be that common to see two illustrators' work put together like this, so it may have been done by a magazine picture editor.

#6299 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,070 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 15:03

Thanks for those Imps.
I checked back what has been posted before and was surprised that the only drawing wasn't what I thought it would be.
I guess it was the Vic Berris drawing that was posted before and disappeared somehow. It was a pretty bad b/w scan and you could see that the paper was going yellow by some shades of grey all over the picture.

And yes the Jim Allington drawing is the best and most detailed one of those three but I still like the perspective of Terry Davey's drawing better.

Advertisement

#6300 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 15:11

And yes the Jim Allington drawing is the best and most detailed one of those three but I still like the perspective of Terry Davey's drawing better.

There you are - personal choice!