Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13082 replies to this topic

#6401 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 344 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:32

Ah, the notorious Tony Matthews - still, I bet he knows how to spell Leonardo's name properly ;) The other article is odd too. It shows a picture of his nose and says he likes to ride a motorbike and then the caption under the other photo relates not to that picture but to one on the other page! They did things differently in those days.

Edited by smarjoram, 12 October 2010 - 09:33.

Advertisement

#6402 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 13:22

Posted Image
Edited to add:- Photo Copyright 'Classic and Sports Car.'

There is something of Liverpool ace Steven Gerrard about this picture!

#6403 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 13:24

There is something of Liverpool ace Steven Gerrard about this picture!

You mean... he's got a Swiss Army knife too?

PS. No, I wasn't hovering, just a coincidental visit!

#6404 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 14:26

To make amends, here is something with perhaps a little more depth, concerning Russell Porter.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 28 April 2012 - 18:55.

#6405 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 803 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 15:39

Mercedes Benz W196 by Giorgio Alisi

Posted Image

Mercedes Benz W196 engine cross section by unknown artist

Posted Image

#6406 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 344 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 16:45

That Russell Porter story is astounding. Although it did make me feel rather inadequate.

#6407 joca7483

joca7483

• 26 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 17:42

Posted Image

Jordan 194-Hart V10

who is the autor?!?

#6408 Dutchy4C

Dutchy4C

• 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 18:10

I just found this forum and spent a long time looking at all the postings. A wealth of information. Thank you all so much.

Back in 1972 my brother bought a copy of the Marlboro Grand Prix Guide, a Swiss publication that featured a lot of Werner Buhrer illustrations. As an 12 year old seeing those really fired up a passion for me. Since first glancing at the Marlboro BRM illustration below, I immediately stopped drawing trains/buses and cartoons, and switched full time to race cars. Within 2 years I bought my first Tamiya 1/12 scale F1 car, built it, but also measured down everything, and used that to construct my own F1 race cars.

When Hoogenboom Bewaking dropped Ensign and decided to start their own team, Boro Racing, with Larry Perkins, I designed a complete F1 car for them (at age 16). I decided I wanted to be come a race driver, did the Jim Russell school in Snetterton in 1977, did some F Ford and then ran out of money. In the end I ended up becoming a car designer, Volvo, Mercedes-Benz, Mazda, and my own independent consultancy. Most recently I started my own car company, http://www.steenstragcm.com, where we want to build high-end zero emission sports cars. Most recently, preparing a presentation, I was forced to reflect back on the beginnings, and the Werner Buhrer drawings really were at the root of it all!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have the Grand Prix Guides from 1972, 9173 and 1974 (when they had switched to Giorgio Piola). I am trying to scan the Werner Buhrer illustrations that have not been shown here yet, without breaking the books. I also found a nice set of Bruno BEtti posters from old Auto Zeitung magazines.

#6409 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 18:15

Posted Image

Jordan 194-Hart V10

who is the autor?!?

It looks French or Italian. I've not seen a rear tyre cut away like that, so it might be a one-off. I wonder how many illustrators have done one car cutaway and then called it a day. Must be quite a few.

I tried really hard to gain access to Jordan, as I thought the cars were very attractive, and in the early days, looked as though they were heading for fame - but it was like banging my head on a surface table. Every year I would phone and speak to Ian Philips and/or that bird who later worked for ITV doing the F1 pitlane interviews, now does the touring car chats - it'll come to me... but to no avail, didn't want a free cutaway. So there you have it.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 13 October 2010 - 00:36.

#6410 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 18:18

I have the Grand Prix Guides from 1972, 9173 and 1974 (when they had switched to Giorgio Piola). I am trying to scan the Werner Buhrer illustrations that have not been shown here yet, without breaking the books. I also found a nice set of Bruno BEtti posters from old Auto Zeitung magazines.

Hi Dutchy - you will have macaron jumping up and down with excitment!

#6411 h4887

h4887

• 870 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 19:03

Posted Image
Lovely little (not much bigger than A4) Bill Bennett drawing of a Ginetta - dunno which model, dunno which year, there is nothing written on the back of the artwork. Copyright B Bennett for now.

Clearly a G10, as it has the V8 and IRS, but it seems to have the wrong front suspension, or at least it's different from the only other G10, the coupe, which features twin front springs. Not many people know that :wave:

#6412 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 19:44

I just found this forum and spent a long time looking at all the postings. A wealth of information. Thank you all so much.

Welkom Cor !
Like Tony implied.........I have bumped head against the ceiling !!
Those are nice Bührers ! The Italian version of the BRM is on the Werner Bührer thread along with many others.
http://forums.autosp...l=Werner Buhrer
I cleaned up and realigned the Porsche and the Ferrari.........they are just dandy!
Looking forward to more of your posts.

The Steenstra is really :up:

Edited by macoran, 12 October 2010 - 19:45.

#6413 Dutchy4C

Dutchy4C

• 15 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:20

Thanks Tony and Macoran. I scanned in 3 more below. I put a whole album of Werner Buhrer images on my Facebook page at:
http://www.facebook....mp;id=672837595

Tony, I did follow your work as well, of course, but it was always so perfect, which made it near to impossible to detect how you did it, which materials you used etc. It was out of reach for me. Especially when I found out that you were using paint...! I never could get that control over paint. It always smudged or bled just at the wrong spot or the wrong time, always making it just not right. I can't believe the control you have over your medium. It would be of very much interest to me to get a precise "how to" of your painting technique. By the way, thank you so much for posting those preliminary pencil sketches. True art!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6414 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:55

This scan was sent me by fellow TNFer Roger Lund AKA Bradbury West
It is Bill Bennett's rendering of the Felday 4 published in Motoring News
Posted Image

I have just realised that this is another Bill Bennett that I have the original of. Off of. I have the original. As soon as I have managed splicing without tears I shall splice 'n' post. I'm still up because I fell asleep on the sofa between 9.30 and 11pm, the Child Bride is in Turkey and so I've got no-one to play with.

#6415 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:01

Tony, I did follow your work as well, of course, but it was always so perfect, which made it near to impossible to detect how you did it, which materials you used etc. It was out of reach for me. Especially when I found out that you were using paint...! I never could get that control over paint. It always smudged or bled just at the wrong spot or the wrong time, always making it just not right. I can't believe the control you have over your medium. It would be of very much interest to me to get a precise "how to" of your painting technique. By the way, thank you so much for posting those preliminary pencil sketches. True art!

Thanks Dutchy. I have mentioned painting before in some detail - in fact, I always tried to keep my colour work looking 'painted' as I didn't want to go down the super-realist road. However, if anyone is interested I could go over my own technique again, I have more interest in the process than the subject matter these days.

#6416 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 111 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:04

I have just realised that this is another Bill Bennett that I have the original of. Off of. I have the original. As soon as I have managed splicing without tears I shall splice 'n' post. I'm still up because I fell asleep on the sofa between 9.30 and 11pm, the Child Bride is in Turkey and so I've got no-one to play with.

- correction, rather 'the sun never sets' on your play-mates, mr matthews ....
(i'm inside because its noon and got burnt yesterday)

Edited by fnqvmuch, 13 October 2010 - 02:06.

#6417 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:07

Yes, I realise that this is a Global Thing, one of the reasons it is so pleasant. Anyway, sorry to hear about the sunburn, not something I've suffered from this year, I wouldn't have minded the opportunity. If you are where I think you are, you've got Summer to look forward to, whereas I've got mist, rain and dark afternoons ahead!

#6418 Dutchy4C

Dutchy4C

• 15 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:00

Thanks Dutchy. I have mentioned painting before in some detail - in fact, I always tried to keep my colour work looking 'painted' as I didn't want to go down the super-realist road. However, if anyone is interested I could go over my own technique again, I have more interest in the process than the subject matter these days.

Thanks Tony, that would certainly interest me. Ideally you would have it video taped and then posted on the Internet. That would explain the best. We did a couple of "how to" videos on my web site http://www.cardesign...dering-seminar/. It is not that difficult to do. I remember devouring a similar session by Syd Mead.

#6419 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,026 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:06

Dutchy, I just tried to look at your album on f-book and that's what comes up:

This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

BTW: I'm logged in to facebook. :confused:

Advertisement

#6420 BRMfan

BRMfan

• 26 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:52

yes please please show us your technique again. Have you thought about editing a book of your work now there is so much interest in the subject?
Bruce

#6421 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:25

Thanks Tony, that would certainly interest me. Ideally you would have it video taped and then posted on the Internet. That would explain the best. We did a couple of "how to" videos on my web site http://www.cardesign...dering-seminar/. It is not that difficult to do. I remember devouring a similar session by Syd Mead.

If I was to make a video I would have to buy brushes, gouache and water-colour board, then practice for some time, so that is unlikely. I'm self-taught, and the procedures I used are fairly standard, but unless you want to paint for pleasure, as a hobby, I can't see much point in it nowadays. It really is just down to practice, if neatness is what you want then manual dexterity is fairly important. And determination, with a hint of notoriety...

#6422 Dutchy4C

Dutchy4C

• 15 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 13:25

I just added you as a friend on Facebook. See if that works. I can make an album in one of my companies Facebook pages, so it most likely will be publicly accesible.

#6423 trauts

trauts

• 43 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 14:12

I just added you as a friend on Facebook. See if that works. I can make an album in one of my companies Facebook pages, so it most likely will be publicly accesible.

Hi Dutchy I believe we met at a Christmas party organised by your brother, Dan, approx 12 years ago

#6424 Dutchy4C

Dutchy4C

• 15 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 18:26

Hi Dutchy I believe we met at a Christmas party organised by your brother, Dan, approx 12 years ago

Hi Trauts,

That could well be, but I don't remember someone named Trauts.. LOL. My brother was working at Jaguar at that time, He still lives in Ladbroke, near Leamington. What was your name? Were you at Jag as well?

#6425 sidny

sidny

• 57 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 19:50

It looks French or Italian. I've not seen a rear tyre cut away like that, so it might be a one-off. I wonder how many illustrators have done one car cutaway and then called it a day. Must be quite a few.

I tried really hard to gain access to Jordan, as I thought the cars were very attractive, and in the early days, looked as though they were heading for fame - but it was like banging my head on a surface table. Every year I would phone and speak to Ian Philips and/or that bird who later worked for ITV doing the F1 pitlane interviews, now does the touring car chats - it'll come to me... but to no avail, didn't want a free cutaway. So there you have it.

I think the 'bird' is Louise Goodman Mr Matthews. Their loss my friend.

#6426 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 20:27

I think the 'bird' is Louise Goodman Mr Matthews. Their loss my friend.

Thank you sidny, yes of course, Louise Goodman - no offence was meant, I just couldn't remember her name. The term 'bird' is complimentary where I come from, if a little informal.

#6427 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 20:29

Hi Trauts,

That could well be, but I don't remember someone named Trauts.. LOL. My brother was working at Jaguar at that time, He still lives in Ladbroke, near Leamington. What was your name? Were you at Jag as well?

I sense a connection...

#6428 Dutchy4C

Dutchy4C

• 15 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 21:14

LOL.. It is such a small world, isn't it?

#6429 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 21:50

LOL.. It is such a small world, isn't it?

It is !! but only because LOL written back to front still reads LOL

#6430 sidny

sidny

• 57 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 21:54

Thank you sidny, yes of course, Louise Goodman - no offence was meant, I just couldn't remember her name. The term 'bird' is complimentary where I come from, if a little informal.

None taken Tony, the term 'bird' where i'm from (Barnsley) is a huge compliment only second to 'the boot'.Just thought i'd do my good deed for the day. small i know but 'every little helps' so they say.
ps, Hope your feeling better.

#6431 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 803 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 22:28

Lola T93-00 1993 by Giulio Betti

Posted Image

#6432 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 23:23

None taken Tony, the term 'bird' where i'm from (Barnsley) is a huge compliment only second to 'the boot'.Just thought i'd do my good deed for the day. small i know but 'every little helps' so they say.
ps, Hope your feeling better.

Nice one, sidny, we must all do our bit. I'm OK, thanks.

#6433 Dutchy4C

Dutchy4C

• 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:49

I have created 2 extensive galleries, one specifically for the Werner Buhrer images, and one will all the cut outs I collected thus far. I posted them here:

Werner Buhrer

Cut away drawings

#6434 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,026 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:42

I just went through a whole stack of old Opel magazines to check what cutaways the Betti brothers did for Opel.
Bruno did:
1919 8/25 PS
1932 Moonlight Roadster
Manta A
Senator B
Kadett 4x4 (Group B/S prototype)
Astra G
Omega A 3000; Lotus Omega; Omega B
Vectra A 2000 4x4; Vectra B

Giulio did:
1913 GP race car
1936 Kadett
1937 Admiral Convertible
Diplomat A V8
GT
Astra F GSi 16V
Calibra
Vactra A
Corsa B GSi
Tigra

There are propably more I don't know about but that are the drawings I have as A1 format prints.
I hope that I'll find a way to get them somehow into digital form to post them.

#6435 trauts

trauts

• 43 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:00

Hi Trauts,

Hi Dutchy, yes I worked with your brother at Jaguar I used the name Stuart Spencer for the day job, I think you and I also met at the MGA Studios. Please pass on my regards to your brother

#6436 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:14

Posted Image

Flesh, bone and sinew! The colouring is almost anatomical!

#6437 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 22:27

Posted Image
Cooper Formula Junior Hydroelastic suspension experiment. 1963.

Edited by werks prototype, 28 April 2012 - 18:19.

#6438 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 22:28

Posted Image
1965 Ferrari 1512, flat-twelve 1489cc.

#6439 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 23:15

Posted Image
Jaguar D-type. By Vic Berris

Edited by werks prototype, 31 March 2012 - 17:20.

Advertisement

#6440 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:04

Posted Image

That is particularly nice, and I wouldn't mind betting that smarjoram will think so too, if he hasn't already seen it.

#6441 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 310 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 14:08

Posted Image
1965 Ferrari 1512, flat-twelve 1489cc.

nice larger format of Bruno Betti's 1512 - thanks. Interestingly, when first published by Quattroruote, they mistakenly labeled it a 512, which is a completely different car.
Posted Image

Peter

#6442 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 19:11

nice larger format of Bruno Betti's 1512 - thanks. Interestingly, when first published by Quattroruote, they mistakenly labeled it a 512, which is a completely different car.
Posted Image

Peter

:up: It actually scanned in at 10000x6000, so I'm pretty sure you could upscale it further (the right amount of information should still be contained in the image) or pm me for the super-duper size version.

#6443 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 19:12

Posted Image
Rolls-Royce Camargue. By Vic Berris.

:wave:

Edited by werks prototype, 28 April 2012 - 18:08.

#6444 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 19:12

Posted Image
Rolls-Royce Camargue. By Vic Berris.

:wave:

Edited by werks prototype, 28 April 2012 - 18:08.

#6445 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 19:13

Posted Image
Works BMW 3.0 CSL European Touring Car. B. Betti. (A slightly larger version of the beast)

Edited by werks prototype, 28 April 2012 - 18:19.

#6446 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 19:13

Posted Image
The B.M.C. Minicar Front Suspension, Wheel Power Drive and Steering Members.

Edited by werks prototype, 28 April 2012 - 18:26.

#6447 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 19:14

Posted Image
Fiat Dino V6 (Detuned Ferrari Dino unit). By Guilo Betti.

Edited by werks prototype, 28 April 2012 - 18:29.

#6448 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 23:17

Lawrence Watts' Range Rover
Posted Image

#6449 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 23:27

Lawrence Watts' Range Rover
Posted Image

Very nice Marc! It starts to look good when you know you have never seen a particular work before!

#6450 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 00:14

Ferrari Testa Rossa by James Allington
Posted Image